The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

Tottenham needs the money for the new stadium too.

Their new tv deal stipulated that they make renovations at White Hart Lane now, so unless the renovations are on par with the likes of Old Trafford, MSG or Lambeau Field, they for sure are going to need the funds so they can replace this century plus old stadium

Last edited by a moderator:
not allowed to talk about that here 
nerd.gif

Im not a soccer thread regular so cut me some slack :rolleyes

Didn't see the USA Soccer thread until after i posted.
So now I know for next time.

Back off Rck before i expose you :nerd:

You're good. Can't talk about the USMNT in the "ultimate" soccer thread? Yea ok. :lol:

Arsenal though :smh: was really looking forward to Gustavo adding some sack to the midfield.

not allowed to talk about that here 
nerd.gif

Im not a soccer thread regular so cut me some slack :rolleyes

Didn't see the USA Soccer thread until after i posted.
So now I know for next time.

Back off Rck before i expose you :nerd:

You're good. Can't talk about the USMNT in the "ultimate" soccer thread? Yea ok. :lol:

Arsenal though :smh: was really looking forward to Gustavo adding some sack to the midfield.

You can't even be remotely surprised....

"Having observed Arsenal over a number of years, I thought I had already witnessed incompetency of the highest level when it came to transfer dealings.

The failure to sign Mark Schwarzer in 2010 over the sake of a couple million when it had clearly been deemed current goalkeepers Manuel Almunia and Lukasz Fabianski were not up to standard…

The last-minute trolley dash of 2011 having learned the hard way at Old Trafford that selling your best players and not replacing them wasn’t actually the way to go…

And then there was this from Arsene Wenger back in January 2012: ‘We have lost Vermaelen for two or three weeks so I have to look if I can find somebody on loan.

‘It would be stupid for us to drop points because we don’t have a left back.

‘We now have three left backs out.’

If you didn’t know the story and I told you Arsenal did end up dropping points because they didn’t sign a left-back you’d laugh at me, wouldn’t you?"

"With five key players struggling to be fit for the season opener against Aston Villa, and another three out with long-term injuries, Arsenal have a total of 11 first-teamers, including two goalkeepers, fit and ready to start (not including the exiled Nicklas Bendtner or Ju-Young Park)."

http://metro.co.uk/2013/08/15/arsen...competent-transfer-window-in-history-3925308/

Arteta might be out for 6 weeks :smh: :x
@AFCAcademy If Fabianksi starts for Arsenal on Saturday I think we could be seeing the youngest ever premier league bench.
I asked who he thought would be on the bench, which youngsters that is: "I’d say Gnabry, Hayden, Bellerin, Akpom and Zelalem have a good chance."
@AFCAcademy Arsenal and Utd are racing to sign Dutch 18 ST Jeroen Lumu, according to the Mirror.
- Arsenal are monitoring PSV youngsters Wijnaldum and Bakkali.

FOX Announces Launch of FOX Sports 2 By Accident
Posted on August 3, 2013 by Christopher Harris

fox sports 21 FOX Announces Launch of FOX Sports 2 By Accident
Two of the worst-kept secrets in the US sports media this year are, one, that FOX will be launching FOX Sports 2 this summer, and two, that FOX Soccer is going to be shut down in early September, to be replaced by FXX, a sister channel to FX. Despite plenty of press speculation, FOX Sports has tiptoed around both topics and has never publicly confirmed either of the two stories. Until now.

In a post on FOXSoccer.com entitled All about FOX Soccer, FOX Sports 1, you would expect that FOX Sports would finally come out and definitively answer the question regarding the future of FOX Soccer. But incredibly, despite a Q&A featuring 11 questions, the article neither asks or answers the question about FOX Soccer’s future, even though everyone knows the truth.

But what the article does let slip is the first formal acknowledgement that FOX Sports 2 will be launching in the near future. Here’s what FOX said about FOX Sports 2:
“FOX Sports 2 is an extension of FOX Sports 1 that features live coverage of sporting events and connects with fans through entertaining studio shows and original programming.”

While it isn’t revealing, at least FOX Sports is finally publicly announcing that FOX Sports 2 is a reality. No date was mentioned. However, we do know that SPEED will become FOX Sports 1 on August 17. FOX Soccer will become FXX in early September, and Fuel TV is reported to become FOX Sports 2 on August 17.

Other than accidentally leaking that FOX Sports 2 is coming soon, the only other newsworthy item in the article is confirmation that FOX Sports 2 will show UEFA Champions League matches (in addition to those matches being spread across FOX Sports 1, FOXSoccer2Go and FOX Soccer Plus).

The article on FOXSoccer.com does confirm what we already know, which is that FOX Soccer2Go and FOX Soccer Plus will continue. And that FOX will pull the plug on FOX Soccer News to be replaced by FOX Soccer Daily, a new daily show to debut on FOX Sports 1 on August 19.
fox-sports-2-leak1-600x293.jpg

Last edited:
Man U "targeting" Modric or Ozil according to ESPN.

Doubt Real would let Ozil go, maybe Modric (just as long as they get Bale).

Good lord I was hype off that City performance Arsenal had, we have an easy schedule to start I guess...maybe that can build momentum :/ they out a starting 11 up to show who they've been linked to...and not signed smfh they have like 90mill just chilling in their pockets

Last edited:
@Bundesliga_GOAL NEWS: Ilkay #Gündogan the latest casualty on the @BVB playmaker injury list http://bit.ly/18yqxaM
@Sanderson Nicklas Bendtner in talks with Trabzonspor. Turkish side want a quick deal, Arsenal happy for him to go: http://bit.ly/17PJDH7

Liverpool favourites to sign £30m-rated Willian with Tottenham and Manchester United also in the hunt
Liverpool have emerged as the favourites to sign the Brazilian playmaker Willian for £30m – although they are facing strong competition from Tottenham Hotspur and, as of Thursday, Manchester United.
Liverpool favourites to sign £30m-rated Willian with Tottenham and Manchester United also in the hunt

Jason Burt By Jason Burt4:31PM BST 15 Aug 2013Comments17 Comments
United are understood to have made a late inquiry for the exciting 25-year-old who has been told he can leave the Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala which is beset by financial difficulties.
United are desperate to bolster their attacking options ahead of the new campaign and have registered their interest in Willian.
Willian is hoping to sort out his future in the next few days and his signing could be one of the most exciting deals of the summer window and a marquee statement of intent from Liverpool, in particular.
If Liverpool captured the midfielder it would be the second most expensive deal in the club’s history after the £35m purchase of Andy Carroll from Newcastle United in Jan 2011 which was funded by the £50m sale of Fernando Torres to Chelsea.
Liverpool, however, are adamant that if they signed Willian it does not mean they will sell Luis Suarez.

Willian only moved to Anzhi in January from Shakhtar Donetsk, after talks over a club record £35m move to Spurs broke down even though Chairman Daniel Levy had travelled to Ukraine to try and close the deal.
Willian had also previously been close to a move to Chelsea and has long been admired by Spurs head coach Andre Villas-Boas who was previously in charge at Stamford Bridge.
Willian was in England last week to try and negotiate his future after he was put up for sale by Anzhi following the decision by the club’s Russian billionaire owner Suleiman Kerimov to withdraw much of his funding and offload players, transfer-listing his squad.
Willian has made no secret of the fact that he would like to play in the Premier League and Liverpool want to improve their goalscoring power having missed out on Henrikh Mkhitaryan, who moved from Shakhtar to Borussia Dortmund, and striker Diego Costa who has signed a new contract at Atletico Madrid even though the Anfield club met the release clause in the Brazilian’s previous deal.
Sources close to the move suggested yesterday that Liverpool was Willian’s most likely destination given how strongly they are pushing to close the transfer but that he would be open to a move to either Spurs or United.
Liverpool are facing competition. Willian is on the list of creative players – along with Roma’s Erik Lamela – that Villas-Boas and technical director Franco Baldini want to add to the Spurs squad as they sense an opportunity to challenge for honours.
Spurs have been extremely busy in the transfer market and yesterday finally confirmed the signing of French international midfielder Etienne Capoue for £8.6m from Toulouse. The 25-year-old is the club’s fourth major signing of the summer after moves for Paulinho, Nacer Chadli and Roberto Soldado while Spurs have are also undertaking a raft of sales.
United are considering signing two midfielders this summer – a creative player and an attacking, goalscoring player and are continuing their pursuit of Barcelona’s Cesc Fabregas despite his public declaration that he does not want to leave.
However United would not be chasing the deal had they not had encouragement from Fabregas and his advisers although despite their intent the chances of securing the Spanish international remain slim.
Despite the fact that the £22m buy-out clause in Marouane Fellaini’s contract at Everton expired at the end of last month – meaning they would have to bid more – United remained convinced they will be able to sign the Belgian international if they want to. A £12m offer for another Everton player, left back Leighton Baines, also remains on the table.
Ends

Coutinho played a lot on the left side last season, I guess Rodgers wants him playing centrally this season as a true #10 with Willian playing his natural left side role. If this transfer does go through, I like what Liverpool could be capable of provided we see the continued maturation of Sturridge. Not sure how this Suarez saga will play out.

All in all Spurs & Liverpool have done alright in the transfer market (so has Man City, but that goes without saying when you have that kind of dough).

As for La Liga, I don't like Isco & Illarramendi going to RM (for obvious reasons), but I'm glad they stayed in Spain. La Liga is really going to have to work on parity...

:nerd: Barca possibly signing Mexico's U20 Espericueta... :D

I really like that Tata might be giving these young guys a chance. We might not need to sign a CB if Bagnack & Bartra take advantage of this opportunity. Barta still makes some bad mistake though (being careless with the ball). Bagnack has looked very good in his friendly appearances. Great speed & quickness, puts great pressure on the ball. I'd like to see him get a shot with the first team.

As far as the other Barca youngsters, MF Sergi Roberto & FW Jean Marie Dongou have played well.

My son wants a blue RM Isco shirt... :rolleyes

Last edited:
i feel like the papers are just linking us with players just to fill pages

100% correct. Look at the Thiago saga. Moyes wasn't even in charge. He hadn't even put in a bid.
Papers would have had you thinking he was personally on the cellie trying to close the deal for days on end.

As much as Modric would be nice, I would look at Kondogbia and Fellaini at this point.

Gary sums it up perfectly...

United is a crossing club. So let's get talented, taller, STRONG players like Kondogbia or Fellaini, then ideally a Modric-like driver.

We simply don't have the budget or the players to try and turn us around into a Dortmund/Barcelona-like style of play with quick passes on the ground. I wish we did, because that would give us a whole other dimension, but at this point, with what we have, we need to build on our strengths.

^ I have to concentrate so hard when listening to Jamie speak... 
laugh.gif

Nice to see NBC putting in this much effort.

BRwr4ZwCUAAFGs0.jpg:large

BRut7X3CUAAypuw.jpg:large

BRK8TSsCcAAXjAz.jpg:large

BRvEfQhCYAAwDiR.jpg:large

Last edited:
Looks like some of you Barca fans may get your wish at a CB by coming over our way (FC Porto).

Barca looking to sign either Mangala or Otamendi. According to Portuguese and now Spanish papers.

Last I heard Mangala's release clause is around 50 million Euros or else Porto isn't talking - That'd be a nice pay day. I think Otamendi would be the better fit tho, and cheaper.

I bet Barca will be breathing down Porto's neck in the future as well. Once Dani Alves starts losing it (which he has already) I can see Barca targeting Danilo, he'd be a perfect match. One of the best RB's in Europe. I won't even mention Alex Sandro, our LB, whose even better. :tongue:

Last edited:
Aside from the own goal in the friendly, Alves is still playing well. He was the lone consistent bright spot in the Barca defense last campaign & played extremely well during the CONFED Cup. He's looked good in the Barca preseason friendlies too.

I'm hoping we don't sign anyone to give the youngsters a shot (sink or swim, do or die). What's the use of La Masia if you see the youngsters go elsewhere or not play them...

No Fellaini for the Red Devils...

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1...ouane-fellaini-release-clause-expired?cc=5901

Marouane Fellaini release clause expires
August 15, 2013
By ESPN staff

Everton manager Roberto Martinez has confirmed Marouane Fellaini's release clause in his contract has expired.

It was reported that the midfielder had a release clause of £22 million in his contract, fuelling speculation that the likes of Manchester United or Arsenal could activate that term.

However, Martinez, who took over from new United boss David Moyes at Goodison Park this summer, has suggested an exit for the Belgium international is now unlikely.

Martinez said: "Marouane had a clause that was very straightforward, but that finished on July 31. Everyone was a bit expectant. We now focused on adding to the squad."

Left-back Leighton Baines has also been linked with a switch to Old Trafford, but Martinez is insistent that his key players will remain on Merseyside.

"I'm not concerned at all. I'm looking internally at our squad and this (speculation) is normal. Until it closes, you will get speculation," the former Wigan manager said.

"Not just at Everton but every other club. Up until now, all we have done is talk about speculation. Now this is the start of the season and we can look forward. It does not affect us internally.

"We need to make sure we start the season well and we want to close the window with the strongest possible squad. Then you can evaluate. This is not a moment to set targets in terms of points."

Aside from the own goal in the friendly, Alves is still playing well. He was the lone consistent bright spot in the Barca defense last campaign & played extremely well during the CONFED Cup. He's looked good in the Barca preseason friendlies too.

I'm hoping we don't sign anyone to give the youngsters a shot (sink or swim, do or die). What's the use of La Masia if you see the youngsters go elsewhere or not play them...

Alves is still playing well, yes. But he's on the downside. Just turned 30, it's not going to get much better from here. If Barcelona feel confident using Montoya at RB to replace him in the future, by all means, go ahead.

I just don't think Montoya is good enough. Danilo is 22 years old, 6 feet tall, physical, fast, tackles great, crosses well and he has a fierce shot. He's a younger/better version of Dani Alves, I'm tellin ya. He'd fit right in after Dani Alves is let go within the next 2 years. His release clause is 50 millions Euro too, just like Mangala - hefty price but the market in general is crazy.

We'll see, just keep the eyes open.

Don't get me wrong, from what I've seen I'd like Danilo but I get the impression Tata wants to stand firm with what he has for now. Barring serious injury, I think Alves has 3 years left or top play ability before you see a slide in work rate.

BTW, wasn't Inter interested in Danilo?

I'd like Barca to stand down from the CB search to get the youngsters some playing time (unless we can get someone at reasonable price). Glad Mourinho wouldn't let Luiz go. I see it as a blessing in disguise. Also glad LIverpool wanted to hold onto Agger. He's been getting injured the last couple of years. Also didn't think they would let him transfer with Carragher having retired.

I'm surprised none of the Ajax defenders like Toby Alderweireld & Ricardo van Rhijn were talked about in the search for Barca CBs. I guess Rosell's hatred of Cruyff might have him prejudiced of all things Dutch...

Back
Top Bottom