The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

CR7. still makes it a valid question

Not really, no. If you're going by youtube mixes it may just look that way because he's got the stepovers and flair moves. As it was taught to me, there are three elements that go into dribbling. Balance, close control, and ability to go past a defender. CR goes past players easily enough, his close control is good, and his balance is fair. That combination makes him a great dribbler. But he isn't outstanding in all three categories like Ronaldinho or R9 which puts them at a different level. Ronaldinho in particular did things with the ball I've never even imagined - let alone ever seen.

Looking at it from a statistical perspective, this league season CR has been dispossessed more than he has completed dribbles. A dribble being defined as taking on and beating an opposition defender. via WhoScored

Look at who you're talking to man, he even laughed at the question - which is complete disrespect. You won't find much objectivity with his posts concerning anything Ronaldo or Real Madrid related, even if it's disguised behind a plethora of words; emotion trumps any type of analysis concerning those two topics.

Where's my dude, Blue Lion.
I'm here fam, always am! Though I have to admit this place has lame as of late with the rvp banter....wgaf!

Happy my boys won, but our group situation it looking tough as hell right now, if we don't win or tie in dortmund than we are going to have to beat Arsenal with a +3 goal margin in order to advance, this is of course is if  everyone beats Marseillle and they finish with 0 points.

It's going to be tough but if we manage at least a tie in Dortmund we are in.
mean.gif
 that juve and milan with so few points probably have good chances of qualifying.

Everything is working out well for now, excellent momentum for sundays match against Juve!

Not really, no. If you're going by youtube mixes it may just look that way because he's got the stepovers and flair moves. As it was taught to me, there are three elements that go into dribbling. Balance, close control, and ability to go past a defender. CR goes past players easily enough, his close control is good, and his balance is fair. That combination makes him a great dribbler. But he isn't outstanding in all three categories like Ronaldinho or R9 which puts them at a different level. Ronaldinho in particular did things with the ball I've never even imagined - let alone ever seen.

Looking at it from a statistical perspective, this league season CR has been dispossessed more than he has completed dribbles. A dribble being defined as taking on and beating an opposition defender. via WhoScored

The Ronaldinho is an unfair comparison. Not many footballers are an par with him but CR7 is no slouch. His dribbling is designed more for scoring/passing if goal isn't available.

I don't like relying solely on stats either. Prior to last week, CR7 has been playing out of position for most the the preseason & current campaign so that may explain a bulk of the dispossessed dribbles.

My top dribblers in no paticular order (that I've personally watched over the years) -

- Ronaldo R9
- Ronaldinho
- Kaka
- Roberto Baggio (I loved those Juve teams)
- Zidane
- Iniesta
- Michael Laudrup (very underrated as a player).
- Messi
- Ronaldo (I think he's improved over the years).

The Ronaldinho is an unfair comparison. Not many footballers are an par with him but CR7 is no slouch. His dribbling is designed more for scoring/passing if goal isn't available.

I don't like relying solely on stats either. Prior to last week, CR7 has been playing out of position for most the the preseason & current campaign so that may explain a bulk of the dispossessed dribbles.

My top dribblers in no paticular order (that I've personally watched over the years) -

- Ronaldo R9
- Ronaldinho
- Kaka
- Roberto Baggio (I loved those Juve teams)
- Zidane
- Iniesta
- Michael Laudrup (very underrated as a player).
- Messi
- Ronaldo (I think he's improved over the years).

Surprised this legend isn't on the list...

View media item 645049
After all, he invented The Cruyff Turn...which many of today's stars love to use..

But then again, to be fair, you did say that YOU'VE watched over the years. Fair play.

For more references...

Last edited:
eiddyfouw - I put guys I've actually watched over the years but If I included the greats, Cruyff would definately be on the list along with Pele, Maradona (Ariel Ortega also), Jairzinho, Marc Overmars, & Luis Figo...

My Salvadorian co-worker would shank me if I didn't mention Magico Gonzalez. I think Paul Gacoigne might be in an all time great dribbler list... & for sentimental reasons maybe Robinho also...

C'mom eiddyfouw, I know better than that... :D

eiddyfouw - I put guys I've actually watched over the years but If I included the greats, Cruyff would definately be on the list along with Pele, Maradona (Ariel Ortega also), Jairzinho, Marc Overmars, & Luis Figo...

My Salvadorian co-worker would shank me if I didn't mention Magico Gonzalez. I think Paul Gacoigne might be in an all time great dribbler list... & for sentimental reasons maybe Robinho also...

Lol yeah when I had wrote up the whole post, I read at the end of setting up the post, you said it was players you've watched. I immediately knew why you left him off the list. I just went ahead and posted anyway for those who may not know the legend...

Lol yeah when I had wrote up the whole post, I read at the end of setting up the post, you said it was players you've watched. I immediately knew why you left him off the list. I just went ahead and posted anyway for those who may not know the legend...

Damn, forgot to add Georgie Best too... One of my uncle's favorite all time players. I'm sure I forgot some too....

A few of the Anderlecht players have lifted the lid on what Zlatan Ibrahimovic told them during Tuesday night's Champions League match against Paris Saint-Germain. The game ended 1-1 after the Swede scored the equaliser for the home team but Sacha Kljestan told a Belgian newspaper that he had been surprised by some of the comments made after challenges.
"After a perfectly normal challenge, Ibra turned to me and provoked me, making a joke about my moustache, saying: 'That really is terrible,'" a smiling Kljestan told Het Nieuwsblad. "I responded by saying that he should think about his nose."
Luka Milivojevic added that Ibrahimovic had tried to catch him in an off-the-ball incident. "He tried to get me when the ball was long gone. Clearly he was not happy to have missed the ball."

:lol:

Damn, forgot to add Georgie Best too... One of my uncle's favorite all time players. I'm sure I forgot some too....

It's hard to see how he isn't one of your uncle's favorites.

His control was simply insane. His ability to dance through traffic and weave in and out and still get the shot off was crazy at the time..

Besides, the gents are always going to love him with quotes like “I spent 90% of my money on women and drink. The rest I wasted” :lol:

Anyone following Bayern heavy? Is Thiago Alcantara getting a lot of playing time? I've only really tuned in to their Champions League matches and he never seems to be in the lineup.

Thiago tore a ligament in his ankle (Syndesmosis injury) which required a screw to be inserted back in late August. He was initially ruled out for 8 weeks. The screw was removed & he's out of the protective boot that makes him ready for the final stage of his rehab. He should begin practicing within the next several weeks if not sooner...

http://www.fcbayern.telekom.de/de/n...hraube-operativ-entfernt-weihrauch-sperre.php

Wealth of midfield options in Munich. I don't see how Bayern doesn't repeat in CL.

Stranger things have happened.

All depends on what happens on the day.

In footy we've seen clear favorites go in and lose matches...it's only 90m after all....

Back
Top Bottom