The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

Hey, I have to question it with some of the things said in this thread :lol:
You said the stats are skewed because it was after they signed players. Maybe its cause Im tired, but I belive what you are insinuating is its because Suarez barely had anytime to play with the Coutinho and Sturridge . If so, thats false and is nothing but pure foolishness. Its not like Suarez missed every one of the games since they signed said players. He played a good portion of the games along side with said players and their win percentage did not rise. They are comparing wins with and without Suarez. At the end of the day they still have a higher win percentage without Suarez. Im not gonna go through all the stats, but there were still games where the team struggled even with SAS and Coutinho playing. During the 2012-13 season , in total Couhtino played about 14 games with pool for the 2012/13 season . 9 of them with Suarez and Sturridge. Out of the 9 played with Suarez they only won 4 and lost or drew the other 5. Thats a 44% win percentage. Without Suarez for said season, they won 3 of 4 of their games which is 75%. If you combine the games from the previous season and the current without suarez playing, then it would be 7 wins of 9 games without Suarez. Which would be a 77%-78% win percentage.Individual player stats also increased without him playing. If you were to combine the games from last season with the addition of Sturridge and or Coutinho that Suarez played in, with the ones he played for the current season (15 games) then it would be 7 wins and 8 losses or draws.Which equates to a 46% win percentage. Either way you put it, the the win percentages are still significantly different.
I'm not a Man U fan. However, I do believe if given enough playing time and being at the right club, Chicharito can bag some goals.
I agree, but some of us want to pass off our opinions as fact. We each are entitled to our opinion so I dont see what the big deal is. Hell, Arsenal could've retained his services and he could've had a terrible injury or could've flubbed for the entire season.

The Liverpool example is a very small sample size and could easily have been influenced by who they played and what they had to play for, who he bit/who didn't he bite, etc.

He could have had a terrible injury yes, but he didn't have any nagging injuries which aside from Chellini hacking at his ankle in a friendly have been a problem throughout his career. As such you would expect a similar level of production, perhaps a slight decline/regression to the mean which did happen, but he was still the top scorer in the league. I am saying the goal differentials would have been more similar than they already were, perhaps even a slight edge to Arsenal, at which point to label them as non-contenders is stupid. Goal differential is strongly correlated to points earned. Over the past decade of the Premier League a team's expected points is equal to roughly 51+0.7(goal differential). United were extraordinarily lucky to win by the gap they did. They were the expected winners of the league, however the margin is what made them an outlier. In a world where Arsenal kept Van Persie I think they would have been strong contenders. That's not to say they would have "won for sure" or that United "wouldn't have won anything", but to dismiss the fact that they would have been close is, well, stupid.

Jada i have to say, according to your logics all Arsenal players are crap n Arsenal is a not that big fo a club. You havent won anything in about 9yrs, so your squad must be full of bum players. All of the few decent players all leave for bigger clubs. Also, if RVP thought Arsenal could have won the league last yr he would have stayed. He had no faith that the club will contend for the title so he bounced. RVP did help ManU win the title but i still think they would have done well without him. RVP. One last thing, RVP scored 30 goals last season and United won, the season before he scored 37 and Arsenal couldnt win a single trophy, must be full of bums.

Is this English?

1-nil to the Arsenal today. :pimp:

Derby's often provide interesting and sometimes unexpected results.

Even when United were running high over the past few seasons, teams like Everton and Liverpool were aways known to give a hard time.

This. Anyone who truly expects Arsenal to run them off the pitch at OT is delusional. Possible? Yes, but so is the opposite. Is either likely? No. I think it will be a cagey match.

Great win for Arsenal.  Glad we made it out w/ a positive output.  That stadium is tough.

Caught  a little bit of the Napoli Marseille match.  Stands were looking empty.  Something happen? Couldn't find anything about it.

Huge result! :nthat:

I'm convinced Ramsey is juicing...no other way to wrap my head around his elevation since midway through last season. :wow:

He's silenced fans in Stoke, Swansea and now Dortmund...
775095792.gif

:lol: Keep it up Aaron.

The whole back 4 plus Rosicky were ******g immense. I almost had to slap someone Bernie Mack style for suggesting Sagna was past it at halftime. He's Mr. Consistent and he kept Reus silent it both matches. We NEED to get him tied down to a new contract ASAP or he can sign a pre contract in Jan. Sigh him up and when his body isn't suited to running up and down the flank all game like he does now he'll be our 3rd or 4th choice CB and we can go for a more attacking RB.

I'm pumped for the weekend but as Eiddy said form goes out the window when Arsenal and United come together (with it usually being arsenal playing like **** :lol: ) so I fully expect a tough game in Manchester. Hopefully Flamini and Theo will be back. The result at OT could either be a big stamp on our title credentials or the kick start to United's resurgence.

Hopefully we destroy them, I want no mercy.

Oh and....

View media item 644237
:nthat:

Last edited:
The Liverpool example is a very small sample size and could easily have been influenced by who they played and what they had to play for, who he bit/who didn't he bite, etc.
View media item 448484 I'm not going to continue this back and forth with you, but as mentioned by someone before RVP had 37 goals for Arsenal in the 2011-12 season. 30 of them in the EPL and they still finished in 3rd . They were 19 points behind City and United. He had 26 with with united in the 2012-13 season and they still won. So even when he scored more goals for y'all, you barely kept up with United and City.

Nike must be pissed now they let Arsenal go, they were so fed up with them losing then dropped them. Now they're surging again lol.

View media item 448484 I'm not going to continue this back and forth with you, but as mentioned by someone before RVP had 37 goals for Arsenal in the 2011-12 season. 30 of them in the EPL and they still finished in 3rd . They were 19 points behind City and United. He had 26 with with united in the 2012-13 season and they still won. So even when he scored more goals for y'all, you barely kept up with United and City.

:lol: You talk about winning 3 out of 4 games as an example of something and I'm reaching. I haven't mentioned the 2011-12 season AT ALL. It has nothing to do with this argument, yet you keep bringing it up as though it does. They were in reality much, much farther behind United/City in 2011-12 than they were United in 12-13(less to do with Van Persie, more to do with the addition of Cazorla/Podolski/return of Wilshire). That has nothing to do with anything. You are using these examples with so many variables, sitting here saying that Arsenal would not have been a better side with Robin Van Persie, the leading scorer in the league. That is stupid.

:lol: You talk about winning 3 out of 4 games as an example of something and I'm reaching. I haven't mentioned the 2011-12 season AT ALL. It has nothing to do with this argument, yet you keep bringing it up as though it does. They were in reality much, much farther behind United/City in 2011-12 than they were United in 12-13(less to do with Van Persie, more to do with the addition of Cazorla/Podolski/return of Wilshire). That has nothing to do with anything. You are using these examples with so many variables, sitting here saying that Arsenal would not have been a better side with Robin Van Persie, the leading scorer in the league. That is stupid.
I like how you omitted the total games without Suarez. Funny thing is, this is the first time I ever brought up the 2011/12 season in regards to RVP. It can apply to the argument because that was a season where RVP performed well and even better than he did on United and y'all still couldn't win the league. The moment he goes to another team and scores close to the same amount of goals, but still less, you still think y'all would have won the league if he stayed with y'all. I'm done though :rofl:

Nike must be pissed now they let Arsenal go, they were so fed up with them losing then dropped them. Now they're surging again lol.

From my understanding Nike definitely didn't drop us, Puma just offered more money.

Sucks because I'm a huge Nike fan (obviously :lol:) so I would have much preferred to stick with the swoosh but maybe next time the shirt supplier is up they wont try and give us a **** offer.

I like how you omitted the total games without Suarez. Funny thing is, this is the first time I ever brought up the 2011/12 season in regards to RVP. It can apply to the argument because that was a season where RVP performed well and even better than he did on United and y'all still couldn't win the league. The moment he goes to another team and scores close to the same amount of goals, but still less, you still think y'all would have won the league if he stayed with y'all. I'm done though :rofl:

Maybe now would be a good time for you to step away and go do some research on statistics, things like correlation, regression, outliers, variables, things like that. Remember, google is your friend.

I do not care what place Arsenal finished in in 2011-12. That is irrelevant to my argument. I stated nothing about that season as they were far, far behind both Manchester clubs.

That was not the case last season. United were statistically a very lucky side last season, far outperforming their expected point total. Arsenal's weakness in 2011-12 were defensive (8th best in the league 49 GA). This improved greatly in 2012-13 (2nd best 37 GA). You seem new to the game so I'll help you, Robin Van Persie has very little to do with that statistic.

I am saying that in a vacuum, Robin Van Persie would have made Arsenal better last year, he would have helped them score goals as he is played as a striker, a position expected to score goals. I am not saying they would have won the league. I am not saying that Manchester United would not have won the league. You are really, seriously arguing that Robin Van Persie would not have made last year's Arsenal side stronger. That is what you are saying. I am saying you are a moron.

At the end of the day its a silly argument, but an interesting hypothetical nonetheless. I am interested in advanced metrics and statistics and attempting to use them to advance understanding of the game and this is an interesting, albeit hypothetical application.

Last edited:
Huge result! :nthat:

I'm convinced Ramsey is juicing...no other way to wrap my head around his elevation since midway through last season. :wow:

He's silenced fans in Stoke, Swansea and now Dortmund...
775095792.gif

:lol: Keep it up Aaron.

The whole back 4 plus Rosicky were ******g immense. I almost had to slap someone Bernie Mack style for suggesting Sagna was past it at halftime. He's Mr. Consistent and he kept Reus silent it both matches. We NEED to get him tied down to a new contract ASAP or he can sign a pre contract in Jan. Sigh him up and when his body isn't suited to running up and down the flank all game like he does now he'll be our 3rd or 4th choice CB and we can go for a more attacking RB.

I'm pumped for the weekend but as Eiddy said form goes out the window when Arsenal and United come together (with it usually being arsenal playing like **** :lol: ) so I fully expect a tough game in Manchester. Hopefully Flamini and Theo will be back. The result at OT could either be a big stamp on our title credentials or the kick start to United's resurgence.

Hopefully we destroy them, I want no mercy.

Oh and....

View media item 644237
:nthat:

Theo might be able to go, but I think Flamini was out for a few weeks. Podolski has returned to training as well I believe, but I think he is a bit away as well.

You are really, seriously arguing that Robin Van Persie would not have made last year's Arsenal side stronger. That is what you are saying. I am saying you are a moron.
You're an excellent example of when people are so deluded , they begin to think that all the ******* that they spew is fact. The issue is, you dont know if he would have made Arsenals side stronger. You're guessing. I disagree with your guess/opinion, so that makes me a moron. You're a real idiot clown. :rolleyes View media item 643035

Last edited:
You sir are a excellent example of when people are so deluded , they begin to think that all the ******* that they spew is fact. The issue is, you dont know if he would have made Arsenals side stronger. You're guessing. I disagree with your opinion, so that makes me a moron. :rolleyes

You're right I don't know that, but a lot of signs point to that, the first of which is he was the league leader in goals scored, which is what strikers generally are paid to do. Yet again, nothing to refute what I've said.

Get a new .gif while you're on google.

Last edited:
Straighforward win from Barca. Good to see. This is probably the worst Milan side in recent memory. The fact that Kaka has been their liveliest player is quite sad.

Dortmund seem to really miss Gundogan's drive from the middle. Hard to imagine they'll miss out on the KO rounds, but Benitez has Napoli playing well. They aren't as organized as a typical Benitez side, but they're strong in attack. Looking forward to see how it all plays out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom