The Tragedy of Allen Iverson.

Still one of the greatest of all-time and will FOREVER be the peoples' champ.  Folks can't take that away from him or his legacy.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by MonStar1

I had the Questions, I'm from VA and was called "lil AI", still today my favorite bday present was getting a Iverson jersey and going to the watch him kill the Wizards.  But now that I'm older I can see why he's struggled at the end of his career. 
sly.gif

Im unfamiliar with your foreign emoticon DC.  what does this mean
laugh.gif

i mean how can you feel sorry for this guy?  he blew a lot of money in the clubs, cars, girls......... he had no type of investments.  I would always see him at the club with about 10 dudes and he would pick up the checks.  Plus all his kids and baby mother issues.........

I've read several people state this, but they never really clarified or provided detail about the statements they made. What do you think ai stood for?

I've been watching nba for a looong time. A lot longer than the most of you. As MonStar1 says, I'm the geezer on this board...ai wasn't anything but the Dominique Wilkins of the 90s. His career shooting % was 43% and his career 3 point % was 31%. Do you know how many shots he missed to get that low a %? Does anyone understand what a good shooting % is supposed to be? That's atrocious...

Man chill out Gramps... AI's contribution to the game cannot be denied. I dont care hold old you are & I just laugh everytime you mention it like its a purple heart or somethin...
laugh.gif

Dude your talkin about a sub 6 foot, 175 lb PURE SCORER... How you gonna bring up fg % like it the only quantifier for talent & skill?
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif

Son was clearly one of the greatest all around athletes that was ever graced this earth. He was clearly troubled from the beginning but I myself am not lame enough to judge another mans personal life. I appreciate what AI accomplished & thats that.

Originally Posted by Mister Negative

Man chill out Gramps... AI's contribution to the game cannot be denied. I dont care hold old you are & I just laugh everytime you mention it like its a purple heart or somethin...
laugh.gif

Dude your talkin about a sub 6 foot, 175 lb PURE SCORER... How you gonna bring up fg % like it the only quantifier for talent & skill?
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif

Son was clearly one of the greatest all around athletes that was ever graced this earth. He was clearly troubled from the beginning but I myself am not lame enough to judge another mans personal life. I appreciate what AI accomplished & thats that.
There have been plenty  6" & sub 6" players that have done well. You act like ai was the only one. You still haven't answered my question. What was it that he stood for & what is a good shooting %?     

cant feel sorry for a multi millionaire who never became a man. always wanted to be a little boy partying it up... all son had to do was grow up

Originally Posted by Deuce King

Still one of the greatest of all-time and will FOREVER be the peoples' champ.  Folks can't take that away from him or his legacy.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

He took away from his own legacy. Nobody did to him what he didn't already do to himself. A lot of you guys who admired him when you were kids never grew up to realize to having skills is not the same as being GREAT. 

AI was a skilled dude, but he was never GREAT. His personality made sure of that. 

I don't feel bad for this dude one bit. 

I've always been one of AI's biggest fans but I will never have sympathy for anybody whose life falls apart as a result of their own actions.

I'll always admire him as a player and for what he did on the court, but I can't say the same thing for him as a person and how he led his life off the court.

psk2310 wrote:

Mister Negative wrote:

There have been plenty 6" & sub 6" players that have done well. You act like ai was the only one. You still haven't answered my question. What was it that he stood for & what is a good shooting %?

They have better icons to idolize. They have LBJ, D-WADE, DWIGHT, etc.
AI is long forgotten because his impact was thuggish ruggish and he served as a REMINDER, not EXAMPLE of what is to become if you don't take advantage and hold yourself together. He should be buddies w/ Stephon Marbury. THEY BOTH IS MAD.

Yes!!! Let's feel bad for this arrogant and self-centered egotistical maniac!!!
Whose made hundreds of millions of dollars...

Originally Posted by K2theAblaM

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

He took away from his own legacy. Nobody did to him what he didn't already do to himself. A lot of you guys who admired him when you were kids never grew up to realize to having skills is not the same as being GREAT. 

AI was a skilled dude, but he was never GREAT. His personality made sure of that

Bless your heart.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

AI was a skilled dude, but he was never GREAT. His personality made sure of that

Bless your heart.

It's true though. We all saw how unbalanced the NBA was for the last decade+. AI definitely benefited from the weakness of the East. Everyone remembers the "bums" he carried (including the 6th man of the year, defensive player of the year, and coach of the year), but no one will ever talk about the great teams he chopped down to make it to the finals (because there were none). He finally met a force in the finals and he punched the bullies square in the nose... then reality set in. That's it. Then we saw the trend of sub-.500 teams making the playoffs in the East. Same thing happened to LeBron in '07 (except the Spurs saw 'Bron's first swing coming from a mile away).

Is it also not ironic that while AI was at his peak, USA Basketball was a joke? #Justsayin'

This stuff is all subjective...he's generally regarded by his peers as a great player...and he's a HOF lock. We sit up here and argue about with greatness is all day long but one day he will certainly be in Springfield.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

AI was a skilled dude, but he was never GREAT. His personality made sure of that. 

Allen-Iverson.gif

Originally Posted by Animal Thug1539

If you grew up in the hood playing ball, you looked up to A.I. 

He's the reason white kids in the suburbs had braids though.
DCAllAmerican wrote:
Originally Posted by MonStar1

I had the Questions, I'm from VA and was called "lil AI", still today my favorite bday present was getting a Iverson jersey and going to the watch him kill the Wizards.  But now that I'm older I can see why he's struggled at the end of his career. 
sly.gif

laugh.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by TraSoul82

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Bless your heart.

It's true though. We all saw how unbalanced the NBA was for the last decade+. AI definitely benefited from the weakness of the East. Everyone remembers the "bums" he carried (including the 6th man of the year, defensive player of the year, and coach of the year), but no one will ever talk about the great teams he chopped down to make it to the finals (because there were none). He finally met a force in the finals and he punched the bullies square in the nose... then reality set in. That's it. Then we saw the trend of sub-.500 teams making the playoffs in the East. Same thing happened to LeBron in '07 (except the Spurs saw 'Bron's first swing coming from a mile away).

Is it also not ironic that while AI was at his peak, USA Basketball was a joke? #Justsayin'
roll.gif
Dude went against KOBE & SHAQ with a sub par roster what did you think was going to happen?

Originally Posted by diceloveme

Bless your heart.

roll.gif
Dude went against KOBE & SHAQ with a sub par roster what did you think was going to happen?

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Did you forget A.I. is a sub 6'0" SG playing against T-mac, VC, Kobe, Ray Allen, etc. ?

Puerto Rican league trying to woo Allen Iverson
 By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo!

Allen Iverson and Puerto Rico’s professional basketball league are engaged in exploratory talks about a possible deal for the 11-time NBA All-Star, sources told Yahoo! Sports.Iverson’s business manger Gary Moore has talked with Puerto Rico officials, and the league’s teams are discussing a bidding process to woo Iverson.The Puerto Rican league, which starts its 30-game season in March, pays its stars about $20,000 a month, plus living expenses, sources said. The league’s commissioner is selling Iverson on the chance to work his way back to a possible return to the NBA.The league is hoping to convince Iverson to take a trip to the island and look closer at the possibility. Since Iverson returned from an ill-fated stay in Turkey last season, it’s unclear if he has had much, if any, interest among professional leagues outside the NBA.[ Also: Lakers coach Mike Brown suspended one game ]The Puerto Rican league sees Iverson as a potential ticket seller and iconic addition. In recent years, the league has been a landing place for players trying to return to the NBA. The Caciques de Humacao team recently signed former NBA players Rashad McCants and Ike Diogu for the 2012 season. Puerto Rico has a rich history and tradition in basketball, spawning several fine NBA and international players.NBA front-office executives say Iverson has had his representatives reach out to teams on his behalf this season, but there’s been no interest in signing him. Iverson has been out of the NBA since 2010, when he had brief stays with theMemphis Grizzlies and Philadelphia 76ers. He played part of an unproductive season in Turkey in 2010-11 before returning to the United States.Iverson has been living in Atlanta and working out in hope of a comeback.  

Originally Posted by freakydestroyer

Originally Posted by diceloveme

roll.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Did you forget A.I. is a sub 6'0" SG playing against T-mac, VC, Kobe, Ray Allen, etc. ?
Exactly... post all the "
roll.gif
" you want but you all you are doing is reinforcing my point. Again, name the "upset" the 6ers had that season. I'll wait.

They won the East because they were the best the East had to offer, not because he "carried" them.   

BTW, using HEIGHT to defend an alleged NBA all-time great? Let's keep it classy. "Pound for pound" talk and the like has no place in team sports.

^ What? The 76ers weren't a lock for the playoffs that year. The Raptors with Vince and the Bucks with Ray were actually good teams.

Iverson did carry them, especially offensively, there are no scorers on that team. AI WAS the offense.

He's without a doubt the best scoring small guy ever (yes, including Zeke)

Folks love to bring up his shooting percentage, but neglect to mention how many 2nd chance points and offensive boards this created for those Sixers teams. Plus he was always near the top in minutes per game and steals.

Originally Posted by Fantastic4our

^ What? The 76ers weren't a lock for the playoffs that year. The Raptors with Vince and the Bucks with Ray were actually good teams.

Iverson did carry them, especially offensively, there are no scorers on that team. AI WAS the offense.

He's without a doubt the best scoring small guy ever (yes, including Zeke)

Folks love to bring up his shooting percentage, but neglect to mention how many 2nd chance points and offensive boards this created for those Sixers teams. Plus he was always near the top in minutes per game and steals.

PxCj4.gif

That might be the funniest sports argument I have ever heard. His missed shots created opportunities for his teammates
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I hope you're one of AI's kids.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Back
Top Bottom