The Tragedy of Allen Iverson.

let's be real AI isn't seeing money from Reebok 
laugh.gif

I think he's still getting money from Rbk... some kind of base level amount since he's no longer playing, I doubt it's in the $4-6 million range

He is for sure getting money from Reebak and will for the rest of his life. The amount that he will be making probably isn't in the millions but he will definitely will be getting a little each year.

Originally Posted by dmxfury

Question through Answer V were money. Not really relevant here but true

the laces on the v were crap though. kept undoing...
is reebok really paying dude 5 mill for nothing? i mean atleast retro some of his shoes yearly...

the way some of yall kick a man when he's down just irks me. i feel sorry for yall with so much hate for someone, to relish in their worst time.
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by do work son

the way some of yall kick a man when he's down just irks me. i feel sorry for yall with so much hate for someone, to relish in their worst time.
30t6p3b.gif

what the hell are we supposed to do???? 
feel sorry for the poor. the sick. the less fortunate.

this dude had it ALL!!!!!!!!

and he messed it up because he thought he was 16 forever.

how do you feel sorry for that?

quit catching feelings because you enjoyed watching him play basketball.

man....if this was a tragedy please sign me up for it....

Originally Posted by NobleKane

30t6p3b.gif

im not saying you have to lose sleep over it. but some dudes in here seem happy he fell like that. yall in here like
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 and im more like
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
 if that makes sense.

Originally Posted by TraSoul82

First you claim that AI retired because he didn't want the collective record of the teams he's played for to fall below .500.  Then you state that no team in the league would sign him.

And you're the one bringing "facts" as opposed to "outlandish claims" to the discussion...

laugh.gif
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by MoonMan818

Originally Posted by Fantastic4our

^ What? The 76ers weren't a lock for the playoffs that year. The Raptors with Vince and the Bucks with Ray were actually good teams.

Iverson did carry them, especially offensively, there are no scorers on that team. AI WAS the offense.

He's without a doubt the best scoring small guy ever (yes, including Zeke)

Folks love to bring up his shooting percentage, but neglect to mention how many 2nd chance points and offensive boards this created for those Sixers teams. Plus he was always near the top in minutes per game and steals.

PxCj4.gif

That might be the funniest sports argument I have ever heard. His missed shots created opportunities for his teammates
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I hope you're one of AI's kids.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by red mpls

Originally Posted by TraSoul82

First you claim that AI retired because he didn't want the collective record of the teams he's played for to fall below .500.  Then you state that no team in the league would sign him.

And you're the one bringing "facts" as opposed to "outlandish claims" to the discussion...

laugh.gif
eyes.gif
You know what? I misspoke. I didn't mean his retirement. I meant the stint where he refused to play when the Sixers weren't so good. http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1759535
Thanks for clearing that up. Shines some more light on this guy's character. And that was 8 years ago too. 

Originally Posted by dakid23

150 million?!? i can't really feel sorry for him...
I'm not saying who you should or shouldn't feel sorry for. I couldn't care less really. But I am seriously puzzled as to why you people keep placing some monetary value on how you feel about someone's situation. If I knew someone who was rich and blew their brains out...I'm not going to say, "I don't care...he had millions...I'm broke...no excuses for him to blow his brains out".
Money does NOT make personal demons go away. That's why you see these rich white hollywood !$+%+## taking their own lives every year (Heath, Murphy, etc.)

Allen Iverson used to buy drugs for his MOTHER so she wouldn't have to go !*+% for it. I can't begin to imagine what sort of conditioning has led to the mindset he has even now as a 36 year old man. 

Again...not saying who you should be sorry for but it's far too many judgmental people in here that probably ain't ever walked a mile in those shoes.

im not saying you have to lose sleep over it. but some dudes in here seem happy he fell like that. 

Exactly. It's like people are coming in here specifically to point and laugh.

Originally Posted by NobleKane

30t6p3b.gif

im not saying you have to lose sleep over it. but some dudes in here seem happy he fell like that. yall in here like
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 and im more like
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
 if that makes sense.

oh yea i see what your saying...

Wait a minute.... 150M over about 14 years in the league? For an MVP and multi time nba all star? Wow. Dudes lack of endorsements and business ventures really killed his earning potential. Dude needs to flip some jewelz CDs real quick.

I too wonder how that Reebok deal works, I know that he was wearing rees all the way through the Turkey Debut, but if they were serious about that morals clause then they should have terminated it before the questions dropped.
laugh.gif

But I mean, If they had dropped him, would he still give them the free press? At the same time, though, would they really pay 5M a year to a guy not playing and also not have any retro merchandise in the stores to cover that payout each year?

Originally Posted by CoupeIt88

Originally Posted by MoonMan818

Originally Posted by Fantastic4our

^ What? The 76ers weren't a lock for the playoffs that year. The Raptors with Vince and the Bucks with Ray were actually good teams.

Iverson did carry them, especially offensively, there are no scorers on that team. AI WAS the offense.

He's without a doubt the best scoring small guy ever (yes, including Zeke)

Folks love to bring up his shooting percentage, but neglect to mention how many 2nd chance points and offensive boards this created for those Sixers teams. Plus he was always near the top in minutes per game and steals.

PxCj4.gif

That might be the funniest sports argument I have ever heard. His missed shots created opportunities for his teammates
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I hope you're one of AI's kids.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

How did i miss this

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by gregbutler20

Wait a minute.... 150M over about 14 years in the league? For an MVP and multi time nba all star? Wow. Dudes lack of endorsements and business ventures really killed his earning potential. Dude needs to flip some jewelz CDs real quick.

I too wonder how that Reebok deal works, I know that he was wearing rees all the way through the Turkey Debut, but if they were serious about that morals clause then they should have terminated it before the questions dropped.
laugh.gif

But I mean, If they had dropped him, would he still give them the free press? At the same time, though, would they really pay 5M a year to a guy not playing and also not have any retro merchandise in the stores to cover that payout each year?

so he turned down the contract to play in puerto rico? And i seriously doubt dude is broke... im pretty sure hes still a millionaire, and a multi millionare at that..

Of course he is still getting paid, the Questions still sell, matter fact they are coming out with new colorways soon.

Oh and he is str8 when it comes to money. He just doesn't like to pay bills. Trust if he was broke we would know from him, not from what other people are trying to get out of him. If you know anything about a street person, is that they always have cash on deck. Prob not in a bank account, but str8 cash, stashed out somewhere.

Oh and a lot of people hate on Iverson, it's been like that since Bad News, you know how that go, the urbans vs the suburbans....

Illwill basically said it in a nutshell...urban vs. suburban..that's what it boils down too...

If ur from the streets or have any ties at all u rock wit AI...if u every struggled or been told u can't do sumn, u rock wit ai...if u from the burbs nd u picked out ur first car at fifteen to get it as a 16th bday gift your probably not connect with AI...simple as that..

without even bringing bball into it they been trying hold AI back since high school...he makes it to the nba they change defenses, dress codes,etc ALL TO HOLD HIM BACK... I remember being a yong cat, early 90s, and wondering why white people hated the states best bball/fball player so much..of everyone brawling in that bowling alley he went to jail..this cat divided and them brought together millions of people IN HIGH SCHOOL...

He been gettin put down his whole life, still to this day getting dogged for various reasons...if one of yall walked in this mans shoes I guatantee yall prolly don't make it outta Bethel High...let alone to go on and make millions...yall can't judge him on the same terms u judge your life...his was 1000 times harder I guarantee...all because he had a wicked crossover...

smh@ some of yall ...seem like yall hate him personally like u david stern or sumn...damn

Ill admit being from va and specifically hampton roads may make me slightly biased...but I witnessed his come up allot closer than some of yall...he grew up a ruff ruff life...then when he find his way out, they tried to hold him back on some bull...AI still a hero down here..always gonna be...I'm glad hes Virginias own...personifies Newport News, Norfolk and all of va perfect...

Being a smart dude from the streets>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>being a dumb dude from the streets.

AI wasn't smart enough to change with the times.

I wish that the league players union would give maybe a 2 week course during the off season to educate these young millionaires as to how to spend their money and planning for the day that they can't play ball any more....
like there is no way in hell that i will make 150 million and be in this position. hell no way I make one million and be in that position ....

I really hope someone puts that idea in place somehow. I'm tired of seeing African American athletes go down the tubes financially

Originally Posted by throwback1718

I wish that the league players union would give maybe a 2 week course during the off season to educate these young millionaires as to how to spend their money and planning for the day that they can't play ball any more....
like there is no way in hell that i will make 150 million and be in this position. hell no way I make one million and be in that position ....

I really hope someone puts that idea in place somehow. I'm tired of seeing African American athletes go down the tubes financially

thing is they sorta do. its just being young,rich,everyone kissing your feet, with a cant tell me nothing attitude....

Everyone kissing his feet? We must be taking about diff cats..lol..

He us the furthest thing away from a pampered athlete...nd I highly doubt dude is broke..I don't he is even close to broke...seriously

Originally Posted by VA757VA

Everyone kissing his feet? We must be taking about diff cats..lol..

He us the furthest thing away from a pampered athlete...nd I highly doubt dude is broke..I don't he is even close to broke...seriously
No one believes that Allen Iverson is Broke. I just think the general consensus is that he blew a lot of money while he was in the league and I'm willing to bet he has massive debts that still need to be paid off today.

If he can find a way to somewhat live a normal life within his means, I'm sure he can live comfortably off Reebok $$$$ for the rest of his life.

Back
Top Bottom