the thread about nothing...

Oh sweet. I hope this is real

wsv82d3qme131.jpg
Make sense .

Gonna get a list together of the tools needed to do my brakes this weekend. Probably gonna borrow all of them except for the floor jack and jack stands.
So...That list I put together at 12 a.m. was short a lot of stuff.

Only purchased pads, rotors, jacks and stands. I borrowed a socket set from work along with a plastic mallet and a device I can't even name to reset the piston. Picked them up after work.

Last night I do more research and realize I should get some silicone paste, brake grease, and brake clean. Also in my research is info about using the bleeder line to release the fluid that is in the caliper when you reset the piston. Read about that **** for like 2 hours trying to figure out what to do as no one seemed to be able to agree. I figure since I've never flushed my brakes, it may be best for me to go ahead and use the bleeder valve. But the worry here is that bleeder valve screw being rusted into position and snapping off (which would mean a new caliper...which I did watch a video on how to install...what a ****** rabbit hole that was).

So wake up early as planned. But delayed because I gotta go buy this stuff. Since I got up at 6:45 I figured I'd just hold off on leaving out and head up to Advance Auto Parts at 7:30 which is up the street vs going to Home Depot which is much bigger and further away but open now. So, hit the AAP at 7:30. Grab the brake grease, silicon paste, brake clean, and gloves. I ask the guy what size wrench would be needed for the bleeder valve and he says if I'm only doing the brake pads and rotors I should not need to mess with the valve. I buy the wrench anyway however.

Leave the store and realize I'd rather get a brush to put the silicon paste on my caliper bolts. So wait until 8 a.m. until the Ace Hardware opens up. Grab a cheap little brush and a wire brush to clean off the crazy amount of brake dust/rust.

Get home at 8:23 (wanted to start at 6 mind you, but this was before I realized how much I was missing) and ready to roll...Take out the jack I got and start trying to figure out what is the best area to jack up on the car. Realize I'm on the wrong, non squealing side of the car (even though I will be doing both sides) so lower the car back down and head over to the other side. Start to jack the car up and get the willies about where I'm jacking it. So I said **** it and just used the normal jack points that I would have used if I wasn't using a floor jack. Didn't want to do this originally because I didn't know how I'd jack up the car and put in a jack stand, but the area is long enough for it to work out.

Car is up...I realize I forgot to loosen the lug bolts...

Lower the car again...Get the wrench from my standard issued jack to loosen the lug bolts...It's cracked. Can't make this **** up. I am absolutely positively certain that I have another one in my car because before trading in my old car to get this current car, I emptied it out and kept the jack and wrench. I see the jack...no wrench in sight. I try using the wrench set I borrowed from work, but I can't get enough leverage to loosen up the bolts.

Get back in our other car...It's now 9:23...head back to AAP and pick up a lug wrench. Loosen the bolts...now we're in business. Back up goes the car on the floor jack. It's up high enough that I can clear one of the jack stands under it. Boom, now I'm moving.

Move the jack out of the way, get the bolts out of the rim and get the tire off.

Start with the 14 MM socket to take the caliper off. Joint comes off with relative ease.

The outter brake pad was in need of changing. Wiggle it out of the caliper bracket, no problem. The inner brake pad? So the metal plate on the outside that touches the caliper (there are actually 2 metal plates there) had rusted off and away from the brake pad. The 2nd metal plate was dangling and easily removable from the brake pad. I could not separate the brake pad from the rotor with my fingers...not enough space to make that happen. I had to grab a putty knife to get the pad and rotor to separate. To say this inner brake pad was in need of changing would be like saying Arty Lange had a small drug problem.

Play with that for a little bit longer and finally the pad comes out. So now? I need to remove the caliper bracket...My car had a torx bolt holding the caliper bracket in place. I only had 6 point and 12 point sockets. The 17 MM 12 point socket fits the bolt pretty good but I don't have enough leverage to get it to move. Head back to Ace Hardware (it's now about 11 a.m....part of the time delay was I had to wait on my girl to come back home with the other car) to see what kind of extender I can get or something. They offer me a nice little cheap solution of a cut down pipe, at the length I desire, and placing it over the wrench I have. Cool.

Head back home with my 2 foot long pipe...Go back to that torx bolt. Leverage is working, but I need a got damn torx socket. 17 MM joint not working. Video I watched online had a guy using a 16 MM 12 point boxed end wrench...I don't have a boxed end wrench, just my sockets...16 MM not doing jack.

Back in the car I go. I think this time around it was 12 p.m. Hit up AAP and ask for a E20 inverted torx socket...dude looked at me like I had 2 heads. Go to Ace...they had a set that went up to 19. Blah.

Go to the Home Depot I didn't want to go to earlier...They don't have ANYTHING! At least no inverted torx sockets. But dude did suggest I check out Harbor Freight Tools down the street. Head there...They have a set that went up to 18. I buy it cuz I'm losing all patience. But before I head back home, Lowes is down the street...They have an E20...in a Torx set that is 160 bucks!

I buy the mother****ing set cuz I've already come this damn far.

Get home...E20 works just as it should have...takes some work getting the bolts out (I guess cuz of the loctite that was used) but I do get them out. Now we need to get this rotor off. My rotor is held onto the drum with a 5 MM hex bolt...simple allen wrench, no problem. Get the 5 MM...stupid *** bolt is stripped. I try a handful of things while still home and nothing is working

Get back in the car and head to Ace (we're probably nearing 3 p.m.) Purchase a hex set, but also ask for some ideas on how to handle this stripped bolt. Only suggestion is to drill through the bolt. Head to APP to see if they have any suggestions...drill through the bolt.

Get home, try out the hex set I purchased but to no avail. I take out my stupid as bit set because again, I've come too ******* far to stop now. I also need to wrap this up as my girl does work this evening. Tried drilling through the bolt, but I got nothing.

I accept defeat. I put on the new brake pads. Compress the piston in the caliper (I thought for sure something was going to go wrong here like the piston being seized but it did not). Try to use the floor jack to jack the car back up and get the tire on. Stupid *** floor jack can't raise the car high enough to get the job done...in fact it's succumbing to the weight of the car (my car is supposedly 3900 pounds...I got a 2 ton jack and was only trying to lift the front driver side of the car...I'm taking that POS jack back because it overstated it's weight capacity). Get out my old jack and it raises the car no problem.

Get the tire on. The time is now 4:30ish and I have to wrap up so my girl can go to work. Take a quick drive to check out how the car is...no more squealing. Never got to the passenger side. Fun awaits tomorrow. I'm taking back that 160 dollar set.

TLDR, **** car work. But I'll try this again soon.

Last edited:
Parts were under 200 bucks. Shop would charge 700. This labor aint worth 500 bucks (even though I spent all day doing this, but this is at my complete novice level while missing a lot of the tools to get the job done).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom