The Old PlayStation Thread | *NEW THREAD IS UP*

Isn't the point of owning a console to not have to bother with frequent upgrades? PS4 400 + Pro 400 + 200-300 in online cards. That right there is a decent gaming rig. Since they kept the same CPU I assume no risk of bottle-necking the GPU?

Isn't the point of owning a console to not have to bother with frequent upgrades? PS4 400 + Pro 400 + 200-300 in online cards. That right there is a decent gaming rig. Since they kept the same CPU I assume no risk of bottle-necking the GPU?

I own a console for console exclusives as well as not having to worry about driver issues. I also like to play games on my sofa.

There will be another Playstation out by this time next year that has HDMI 2.0 and an optical UHD drive.

It really blows my mind how they could overlook such important details and leave those out and is probably half of the reason Microsoft keeps parading around the "most powerful console ever" sentiment. And I'm not a fanboy by any means, but from a business standpoint, it makes no sense to me to push all this tech talk lingo like HDR, 4K, UHD and aim at "pro" users and leave off pro features.

I do the majority of my gaming on my desktop, so I was actually looking forward to purchasing this console, as long as it was going to offer the aforementioned features and bitstream audio. I own a dope 4K tv, UHD blu rays and everything and was just waiting on a better option than the Samsun UHD player that's currently on the market. This new Xbox that's coming out is pretty much already sold to me.

I can imagine that they were trying to stay price friendly and not relive the "$599 US dollars" moment again, but they actually shot themselves in the foot imo. But honestly, it does make sense from the perspective of them, being that they're launching 2 new "consoles" at the same period of this year (PS VR & PS4 Pro). They'll probably end up selling more PS4 PRo/PS VR combo's at that price point than if they were to add the UHD player and up the price.

I'm just not sure if that was for better, or for worse.

I dont have very high expectations for this new PS4 or the VR unit. I wonder how many more failures the company can bare.

On the games side, I think this new Final Fantasy is going to lead a JRPG revival. I'm looking forward to that... And playing more overwatch. :lol:

As a casual gamer and for someone that would have been buying their first PS4.. I wish the Pro had a 4k Blu Ray player. Is it essential? No, but if it's going to be the high end model, I'd hope it would have that feature.

How many of y'all even have 4K Blu-Ray discs tho? I can see why Sony would decide to drop the feature seeing as how physical disk sales have declined over the years so they feel the need to move on from physical discs which says something about the market if Sony is deciding to drop the feature. I don't really buy Blu-rays anyways so it doesn't really bother me espically not 4K ones lol but if I was them I would've done it just so it's something anyone who has the system can use.

There will be another Playstation out by this time next year that has HDMI 2.0 and an optical UHD drive.

It really blows my mind how they could overlook such important details and leave those out and is probably half of the reason Microsoft keeps parading around the "most powerful console ever" sentiment. And I'm not a fanboy by any means, but from a business standpoint, it makes no sense to me to push all this tech talk lingo like HDR, 4K, UHD and aim at "pro" users and leave off pro features.

I do the majority of my gaming on my desktop, so I was actually looking forward to purchasing this console, as long as it was going to offer the aforementioned features and bitstream audio. I own a dope 4K tv, UHD blu rays and everything and was just waiting on a better option than the Samsun UHD player that's currently on the market. This new Xbox that's coming out is pretty much already sold to me.

I can imagine that they were trying to stay price friendly and not relive the "$599 US dollars" moment again, but they actually shot themselves in the foot imo. But honestly, it does make sense from the perspective of them, being that they're launching 2 new "consoles" at the same period of this year (PS VR & PS4 Pro). They'll probably end up selling more PS4 PRo/PS VR combo's at that price point than if they were to add the UHD player and up the price.

I'm just not sure if that was for better, or for worse.

I dont have very high expectations for this new PS4 or the VR unit. I wonder how many more failures the company can bare.

On the games side, I think this new Final Fantasy is going to lead a JRPG revival. I'm looking forward to that... And playing more overwatch. :lol:

This exactly.

They won't release another PS4 though. They said they are half way into the generation and they started work on the PS4 Pro after the PS4 launched. Next step is most likely PS5.

This is what Andrew House said about not having UHD.

Speaking to the Guardian after the company’s PlayStation Meeting event in New York, House said it would not be possible to add support for UHD discs in a later firmware update, but argued that such support was unnecessary.

“Our feeling is that while physical media continues to be a big part of the games business, we see a trend on video towards streaming,” he said. “Certainly with our user base, it’s the second biggest use case for people’s time on the system so we place more emphasis on that area.”
https://www.theguardian.com/technol...o-our-approach-isnt-reactive-this-time-around

From a business point of view, it's either a stroke of genius or a dumb move.
If lets say UHD takes off, they would only suffer for half the generation and they have so much momentum that I don't think it would do much damage.

Xbox 360 went a whole gen without being able to play Blu-Ray discs and also had a head start on the PS3 and look how that turned out.

As a consumer though, I feel for people like you who had the whole setup ready but UHD is missing so you would need a separate box for that.

How many of y'all even have 4K Blu-Ray discs tho? I can see why Sony would decide to drop the feature seeing as how physical disk sales have declined over the years so they feel the need to move on from physical discs which says something about the market if Sony is deciding to drop the feature. I don't really buy Blu-rays anyways so it doesn't really bother me espically not 4K ones lol but if I was them I would've done it just so it's something anyone who has the system can use.
That's a good point.  I don't have a 4K so I haven't really been paying attention to the whole UHD scene, but are there a lot of 4KBD's out there?  I guess it would be a nice feature to have, but having said that, I've only bought 1 BD over the past few years. 

I own a console for console exclusives as well as not having to worry about driver issues. I also like to play games on my sofa.

That's cool, but it has nothing to do with what I said.

This is what Andrew House said about not having UHD.

Speaking to the Guardian after the company’s PlayStation Meeting event in New York, House said it would not be possible to add support for UHD discs in a later firmware update, but argued that such support was unnecessary.

“Our feeling is that while physical media continues to be a big part of the games business, we see a trend on video towards streaming,” he said. “Certainly with our user base, it’s the second biggest use case for people’s time on the system so we place more emphasis on that area.”
https://www.theguardian.com/technol...o-our-approach-isnt-reactive-this-time-around

From a business point of view, it's either a stroke of genius or a dumb move.
If lets say UHD takes off, they would only suffer for half the generation and they have so much momentum that I don't think it would do much damage.

Xbox 360 went a whole gen without being able to play Blu-Ray discs and also had a head start on the PS3 and look how that turned out.

As a consumer though, I feel for people like you who had the whole setup ready but UHD is missing so you would need a separate box for that.

I was also thinking similar. I mean... Sony owns the Blu Ray technology, so if they aren't investing in themselves, then I honestly think this tech might be killed off soon in a HD DVD fashion. It may be a situation where digital becomes the leading format and studios stop releasing blu ray all together even though it is the superior format and we just have to suffer with it until it's improved.

I'm a 3D fan and there are 3D titles that only release overseas and dumb situations where They'll release the UHD and 3D titles separate, or release the 2D format, then come back a year down the line and release it in 3D like The Force Awakens. All apart of being a consumer, I guess.

If we learned anything from all this, it's that you may not want to invest too much in physical media anytime soon.

Come to think of it, Kanye kinda pioneered a new frontier with the digital medium with the evolving TLOP album. I imagine that's highly attractive to movie studios and entertainment companies to be able to update their media on the fly like that. It can save people money as well if streaming quality was as good as physical media and since features such as HDR can be updated via firmware updates with no additional hardware purchase required.

They may have the right idea, but in my opinion, there's no replacement for physical media. Purchasing permission to stream from a server just doesn't cut it for me. I don't get a complete sense of satisfaction. At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised to see an update with the subtraction of the optical drive at a cheaper price. Look at apple removing the 3.5mm audio port. And look at the correlation between the PS4 announcement, Kanye Season 4 and apple announcements. Funny.

The new world order of entertainment is upon us. :lol:

Last edited:

But when you've installed a theater in your home with expensive *** AV equipment to support the format, you care because you notice the difference in blu ray and streaming on a 100+ inch screen. It wouldn't hurt to save the bandwidth either.

But when you've installed a theater in your home with expensive *** AV equipment to support the format, you care because you notice the difference in blu ray and streaming on a 100+ inch screen. It wouldn't hurt to save the bandwidth either.
idc about no theater in my home lol 

Back
Top Bottom