The Old PlayStation Thread | *NEW THREAD IS UP*

Pre ordered mine. Seems like a good jumping in point. But i've read over everything over and over and have no clue what the point of this was :lol: i'm just not going to buy outdated tech over $100. But it's amazing how they couldn't really figure out how to sell this thing properly.

AC cool and all I do agree with that but it does not help if your internet is slow or your PS is on the other side of the house.

AC works best when you are doing stuff data intensive within your house that does not require the internet. I see it helping with remote play within your house but does no good if the other device is not AC compatible.
I feel you. I've had an AC router for a while though and have fiber from my provider, so it's been kind of annoying being limited to N.

No UHD blu ray player playback. That's a joke, right? Must be some sort of a typo.

They had it. THEY FRIGGIN HAD IT! They owned the console market and now they pull of this mind **** of a move? Why are they doing this to themselves. The gaming branch is what's keeping Sony alive as a company. This might bury them.

Not having UHD is a missed opportunity but it's not going to bury the company, let's not get drastic now.

It is interesting though because physical Blu-Ray disks sales are going down but at the same time UHD Blu-Rays just came out so who knows what the uptake of those would be like.

They're banking on the fact that streaming is a lot more popular and even if they were wrong and UHD becomes successful then they can include it in the PS5 since it would be much cheaper to implement and it's not a full generation away.

We'll see from a business standpoint if it was worth keeping it out to keep it at $399 which is a really good price for the specs.

I feel you. I've had an AC router for a while though and have fiber from my provider, so it's been kind of annoying being limited to N.

not trying to debate with you just pointing out facts. But AC was a given. 802.11N is fast enough for your fiber internet. 802.11N caps out around 450Mbps where your normal internet/fiber in your house is probably pushing 100mbps. 802.11N is still the standard i would say

In my opinion we wont see AC make its huge breakthrough until google fiber takes over when they give you 1Gbps for a great price.

But until then AC is primarily used in house to transfer huge files over short distances. I have yet to use my PS for a wireless file transfer.

This system was a huge letdown for me especially seeing the current ps4 can do HDR and most 4k tv's already do up scaling basically what the ps4 pro is doing.

My 4k TV, reciever, and BR player all upscales content to 4k if it is not native, and with my current ps4 being upgraded to HDR now i have a ps4 pro basically because my equipment will upscale it.

Last edited:
900 down, 600 up. not quite 1 gb, but close. That said, I feel what you are saying: for most situations and people, N is sufficient.

Everything that was stated about this console prior to yesterday, was that this was essentially to add 4k and additional power to push VR, because apparently devs were saying VR was running like garbage on regular PS4's.

However, I feel like there is no way Sony could say that, as it would discourage some of the potential PSVR buyers who own OG PS4's from buying...so they held a press conference and said a whole lot of nothing.

900 down, 600 up. not quite 1 gb, but close. That said, I feel what you are saying: for most situations and people, N is sufficient.

Everything that was stated about this console prior to yesterday, was that this was essentially to add 4k and additional power to push VR, because apparently devs were saying VR was running like garbage on regular PS4's.

However, I feel like there is no way Sony could say that, as it would discourage some of the potential PSVR buyers who own OG PS4's from buying...so they held a press conference and said a whole lot of nothing.

so basically this console is not for me im not buying into the VR until I try it out first but I dont see myself copping just for VR. I think sitting in your house in front of a nice tv and controller only to use a VR headset will be a luxury item I dont see myself playing VR games on the daily as of now.

what internet service provider do you have them are great speeds.

Not having UHD is a missed opportunity but it's not going to bury the company, let's not get drastic now.

It is interesting though because physical Blu-Ray disks sales are going down but at the same time UHD Blu-Rays just came out so who knows what the uptake of those would be like.

They're banking on the fact that streaming is a lot more popular and even if they were wrong and UHD becomes successful then they can include it in the PS5 since it would be much cheaper to implement and it's not a full generation away.

We'll see from a business standpoint if it was worth keeping it out to keep it at $399 which is a really good price for the specs.
The sales are not going down. In fact, this week blu ray sales are 29.4% up from the same week a year ago:

Granted, these numbers vary heavily from week to week, depending on what movies are released. For example, the week the new Star Wars movie was released on blu ray there was a HUGE rise in sales. Another week where there are dull releases, they might be down. But still, to say the sales are down is not the case. Many people think that it's all about streaming, but the market is slowly starting to stabilize into those who prefer convenience (streaming) and those who prefer quality (physical). And there is a good chunk of both groups. Not having UHD playback is a gigantic mistake. They've left a huge opening for Microsoft to come back with this idiotic move.

Last edited:

The sales are not going down. In fact, this week blu ray sales are 29.4% up from the same week a year ago:

View media item 2158906

Granted, these numbers vary heavily from week to week, depending on what movies are released. For example, the week the new Star Wars movie was released on blu ray there was a HUGE rise in sales. Another week where there are dull releases, they might be down. But still, to say the sales are down is not the case. Many people think that it's all about streaming, but the market is slowly starting to stabilize into those who prefer convenience (streaming) and those who prefer quality (physical). And there is a good chunk of both groups. Not having UHD playback is a gigantic mistake. They've left a huge opening for Microsoft to come back with this idiotic move.

Next week, Civil War bluray drops.

Next week, Civil War bluray drops.
Well, there you go. It will be another great week for blu ray. And especially these superhero movies, where you have the whole collector group. Like people who collect figures and stuff of their favorite superheroes, etc. You'd be delusional to think that those people wouldn't want a physical manifestation of the movie itself  and would be satisfied with being able to stream the movie.

Can you imagine what would happen if Disney announced a UHD of the unaltered theatrical cuts of the original Star Wars trilogy on 4K UHD blu ray, now that they could? And you as a PS4 Pro owner are stuck without being to play them. It would be a disaster for Sony.

Last edited:

View media item 2158906

http://fortune.com/2016/01/08/blu-ray-struggles-in-the-streaming-age/

Sales are going down while streaming is increasing and analysts don't think 4K Blu-Ray will change that but there will still be a market for it. Physical isn't going anywhere.

I agree that it is a mistake to not have it but my point is that, will them saving money work out in the long run since the gaming console market is very sensitive to price.

Let's not forget that it's still a gaming console first and foremost so lack of UHD playback is not a deal breaker for loads including myself. Not yet anyway.

That's me thinking of it from a business point of view but from a consumer point of view, I think it's a big mistake. I only have 1 blu-ray disk in FFVII complete and another coming in FFXV Kingslaive so it doesn't affect me that much.

Not until the whole MCU boxset comes out in 4K but hopefully PS5 will beout by then.

Head count, who's getting PSVR?

I am.

Going to start looking into what games i'll pick up.

For those still confused

A PlayStation 4 Pro owner who has a 4K TV that supports high-dynamic range (HDR) visuals will see new Pro-supporting PS4 games display at 4K resolution and sport a wider range of colors that allows extremes of light and dark to better display at the same time.

A Pro owner who merely has a current-standard 1080p TV may also see marginal improvements to games that are programmed to use the more powerful console’s power for non-4K/HDR effects. According to developers working on games for the Pro, these gamers may see the game they’re playing running at a more stable framerate or with some improved graphical details.

Gamers who have a standard PS4 but a TV that supports HDR will be able to see some degree of HDR visuals in games that are patched or developed to support it.
People who are playing new PS4 games on a standard PS4 with a standard 1080p TV will see graphics that are likely worst among these options, though it’s not clear how far a drop-off they’ll have in graphical quality. This option might not be too bad, because, as any PS4 owner can attest, PS4 games have looked pretty damn good as is

http://kotaku.com/the-ps4-pro-will-help-launch-a-new-more-complicated-er-1786366610

People comparing to the xbone s even though there's a big power difference.

Head count, who's getting PSVR?

I am.

Going to start looking into what games i'll pick up.

Getting it.

It comes with a demo disc with 8 games so I can test the games out before buying.

Last edited:
1080p with higher frame rates (locked to atleast 60fps) would have been a better upgrade imo

and does it reeally need to get slimmer?[emoji]128517[/emoji]

http://fortune.com/2016/01/08/blu-ray-struggles-in-the-streaming-age/

Sales are going down while streaming is increasing and analysts don't think 4K Blu-Ray will change that but there will still be a market for it. Physical isn't going anywhere.

I agree that it is a mistake to not have it but my point is that, will them saving money work out in the long run since the gaming console market is very sensitive to price.

Let's not forget that it's still a gaming console first and foremost so lack of UHD playback is not a deal breaker for loads including myself. Not yet anyway.

That's me thinking of it from a business point of view but from a consumer point of view, I think it's a big mistake. I only have 1 blu-ray disk in FFVII complete and another coming in FFXV Kingslaive so it doesn't affect me that much.

Not until the whole MCU boxset comes out in 4K but hopefully PS5 will beout by then.
Well, for one thing the article you posted is 9 months old, I just gave you the cold hard numbers from this week. And even your pessimistic article states that blu ray isn't going away "any time soon".

If this move was to "save money", it just makes them look worse, especially in contrast to Microsoft who have added UHD playback on a newer version of their console which isn't even the proper upgrade like Scorpio will be.

It's not a "deal breaker", but for me it's certainly not a deal sealer either. I was all set to buy this new PS4, but I'll just wait and see what happens for a while now.

This is a KICK IN THE BALLS to people like myself, who was a 360 owner in the previous generation and switched to PS4 in late 2013 for the same reasons that Sony have me thinking to switching back again now in 2016: In 2013 Microsoft had all this crap with DRM, required internet connectivity and all this crap that had me wondering that when I bought a physical game, if I truly owned that game. Sony presented themselves as the ones who guaranteed their games being free of any digital rights locks, which is why Xbox fanboys are making parodies with this famous example Sony used in 2013:

And now the tables have turned and Microsoft are looking like the saviors of physical media.

Last edited:
Well, for one thing the article you posted is 9 months old, I just gave you the cold hard numbers from this week. And even your pessimistic article states that blu ray isn't going away "any time soon".

If this move was to "save money", it just makes them look worse, especially in contrast to Microsoft who have added UHD playback on a newer version of their console which isn't even the proper upgrade like Scorpio will be.

It's not a "deal breaker", but for me it's certainly not a deal sealer either. I'll just wait and see what happens for a while now.

This is a KICK IN THE BALLS to people like myself, who was a 360 owner in the previous generation and switched to PS4 in late 2013 for the same reasons that Sony have me thinking to switching back again now in 2016: In 2013 Microsoft had all this crap with DRM, required internet connectivity and all this crap that had me wondering that when I bought a physical game, if I truly owned that game. Sony presented themselves as the ones who guaranteed their games being free of any digital rights locks, which is why Xbox fanboys are making parodies with this famous example Sony used in 2013:

View media item 2158910

The article is this year and it shows year on year decline. Those are more relevant stats than week on week sales.
The article said Blu-Ray isn't going away anytime soon and I said that too. That there will always be a market for physical media.

It's a business so they're always looking to save money and make profits. Thats why they make revisions like the slim console and if they feel that not including UHD is the best thing to do while physical discs for movie sales decline then all the power to them. I don't support their decision but they are a business and have a ton more data about this stuff than I do.

I don't see how not having UHD is as bad as MS' initial plans with the xbone. completely different things IMO.

I been saying that this video game industry is going to be like the phone industry by releasing a "new system" every year..
And y'all allowed them to with all this hype and OMG over this upgraded ps4. Kudos to MS and Sony marketing teams.

Last edited:
Digital Foundry: Three hours with PlayStation 4 Pro
Has Sony really delivered a cutting-edge console worthy of 4K display technology?

View media item 2158919
I went into the PlayStation Meeting today as a sceptic, believing that the hardware may not be up to the task of powering a 4K display. The good news is that several hours later, I emerged from the event impressed with the quality of the experience and respectful of the wizardry utilised to make this GPU punch above its weight. However, fundamentally, there's little doubt that PlayStation 4 Pro is going to be a tough sell. Traditional gaming media simply can't capture and communicate the quality of the imagery I saw today, as there's no real way to showcase HDR meaningfully. And this is actually a key component of the PlayStation 4 Pro experience. 4K is impressive and a worthy upgrade in its own right, but HDR takes it to the next level

The real question is the extent to which PlayStation 4 Pro actually delivers a palpable upgrade, and whether Sony's hardware really can deliver a worthwhile experience for 4K displays. At a base level, we've already taken a look at the Polaris GPU technology and stress-tested it at multiple resolutions, finding that it is clearly not a native 4K capable part. However, there will be full 3840x2160 resolution software. Speaking to Naughty Dog at the event, we were told that The Last of Us Remastered - just like its base PS4 version - will have a 30Hz mode that features enhanced image quality. The existing PS4 game features higher resolution shadows maps and those are joined by a full, native 4K pixel count on the PS4 Pro. This drops down to a lower resolution at 60fps, where we're told to expect improved performance compared to the original release on base hardware.

But the key takeaway is this - while the PlayStation 4 Pro GPU lacks the horsepower to render out challenging content at native 4K, the presentation we've seen on a number of titles clearly shows a worthwhile, highly desirable increase in fidelity over 1080p - one that does put a 4K screen to good use. Switching between full HD and checkerboard 4K, the increase in detail is simply stunning.

To its credit, Sony understands that a certain level of scepticism will persist here and to that end, several Sony developers on site told us that lead architect Mark Cerny will be going into the specifics of the custom hardware features in the next few weeks. Enticingly, we were also told that there was more to the GPU enhancements mentioned than just the checkerboard upscaler, so the details there should be fascinating.

Other aspects of the PS4 Pro became evident during our various demos. First of all, while most developers seem intent on supporting enhanced resolutions and HDR, the fact is that users of 1080p screens will only benefit from super-sampling, and perhaps a smoother frame-rate on most titles. However, game-makers also have the opportunity to prepare different presentations depending on the screen attached. So if you have a 1080p display, you might see more lush visuals, whereas if you have a 4K display on tap, you may get a resolution boost. What's slightly concerning here is that it may well require adjusting resolution in the front end if, say, you'd prefer to take advantage of an enhanced 1080p mode rather than a less visually impressive 4K presentation. We rather hope developers will embrace Crystal Dynamics' approach with Rise of the Tomb Raider, where you can switch between the various modes on offer on the pause menu.

We can confirm that the reports are correct. Rise of the Tomb Raider has three different modes in the PS4 Pro version only: a 4K30 presentation with HDR support that strikes an impressive balance between visual features and resolution, a 1080p30 mode that ramps up quality settings to the max and an unlocked frame-rate mode for 1080p that sees performance vary between 40-60fps (we assume that this will be down to CPU bottlenecks), rather like Tomb Raider Definitive Edition on the standard PlayStation 4.

But beyond the tech, what seems clear is that PS4 Pro will launch with a robust line-up of games - a mixture of enhanced new titles and a bunch of old favourites. While we fully expected to see Uncharted 4 at the event, the arrival of Infamous First Light (Second Son will also be patched) and The Last of Us Remastered was a delight. Everything we saw suggested that there are plenty of good reasons to return to these titles.

Going forward, the challenge remains. PS4 Pro will offer boosts to those with 1080p screens, but the impact will be limited and the big gain really is in 4K and HDR. We've noted some apathy towards 4K gaming but based on today's showing, the results are mostly very impressive. What we saw today is an upgrade worth having, but the reality is stark - right now, you're not just looking at a console upgrade, but one that practically demands a new display purchase too. And the issue there is that getting the best 4K HDR experience certainly isn't cheap, even when PS4 Pro itself looks set to offer great value. It's a potential minefield and one we'll be hoping to guide you through once the new PlayStation 4 Pro launches.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-three-hours-with-playstation-4-pro

Good article for those who want to know exactly what they're going to get. There's a lot more I didn't quote but they talk about individual games and what improvements they have on the pro.
The Tomb raider situation is what most people should expect .

4K 30fps mode
1080p 30 fps but with the best grpahics.
1080 60fps with normal settings.

Also, TLOU remastered was running at native 4K at 30fps. It's an upgraded PS3 game obviously but puts it into persspective what to expect with the neo.

They're pretty happy with what they saw with the only downside being lack of UHD.

charlie.gif

Has anybody tried out VUDU 4k movies??? I'm hoping the ps4 pro can support this since it doesn't have a 4k player

Back
Top Bottom