The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

^^^^^I dig the last one. I wonder if there is a way to blend that in with a self portrait. Would make for a cool look book.

Flying Coffin did a lookbook with sparklers. It sort of has a long exposure look. I thought it came out dope.

iwqcv0ticievcawwarfy.jpg
q857f2vdyiux6vtvwvkg.jpg
z46ilt0mgeszwakefzyh.jpg

Anyone here use the 24mm pancake? Might be time to get a new lens.

The 50mm is a bit much for a crop body and I'm tired of lugging a 17-50 tamron around.

The 24mm is an all round solid lens. The 50mm was my usual walk around, but the 24mm is getting a lot more play lately!

^^^^^I dig the last one. I wonder if there is a way to blend that in with a self portrait. Would make for a cool look book.

Flying Coffin did a lookbook with sparklers. It sort of has a long exposure look. I thought it came out dope.

iwqcv0ticievcawwarfy.jpg
q857f2vdyiux6vtvwvkg.jpg
z46ilt0mgeszwakefzyh.jpg
I like the first image for my taste the bottom two have to much going on the foreground ...

thanks for the info .. But I'm not using it for photoshoots but rather events and family outings. I hate the noon events that natural lighting creates undesirable shadows or when the sun is in the BG where it would be awesome for a picture so the subject is either under expose or the BG is blown out. That's the reason I want to start using this joint because I believe this summer I will be designate as the family photographer. Also on night events ..
In that case Ettl would probably work best with spot metering. Keep those spare batteries on deck and you should be fine. Do you have any light modifier for your flash?

A few more from the last shoot.

Just thought I'd mention that I shot all of these with the 24-105L and man, I was really impressed with the images that came out of it (quality wise)

I was debating bringing the 50mm f/1.4 because I wanted at least a bit of bokeh in the shots, but at the same time I figured I wouldn't really be able to shoot it wide open since it was mid day and there was too much light.

The 24-105L held it down though. I shot wide open at f/4 the whole time and once I started getting into longer focal lengths (65mm+) I was pleased with the prime like shots that I was getting. I guess I always thought of it as a kit lens, but this thing rules. haha.

Definitely gotta bring this around all the time. I wanted to eventually have only primes in my bag but this thing is a keeper, and it can be had for under $600!

In that case Ettl would probably work best with spot metering. Keep those spare batteries on deck and you should be fine. Do you have any light modifier for your flash?
I dont .. I need to get something I suppose especially if I'm going to be mounted on camera.

Funny think is that in the studio I'm good with lighting ... All I learned so I'm clueless when it comes to speed lights and stuff.

Just thought I'd mention that I shot all of these with the 24-105L and man, I was really impressed with the images that came out of it (quality wise)

I was debating bringing the 50mm f/1.4 because I wanted at least a bit of bokeh in the shots, but at the same time I figured I wouldn't really be able to shoot it wide open since it was mid day and there was too much light.

The 24-105L held it down though. I shot wide open at f/4 the whole time and once I started getting into longer focal lengths (65mm+) I was pleased with the prime like shots that I was getting. I guess I always thought of it as a kit lens, but this thing rules. haha.

Definitely gotta bring this around all the time. I wanted to eventually have only primes in my bag but this thing is a keeper, and it can be had for under $600!
it is a kit lens but for me anyways, it beats the crap out of a 50 1.4 ...

it is a kit lens but for me anyways, it beats the crap out of a 50 1.4 ...

Definitely a better all around option. The 50 f/1.4 holds it's own in low light though. Not nearly as sharp wide open, but still good.

Been keeping an eye out for a good deal on a 35L.

Santi......is the grain in photo your camera or a post process thing?

You should try the 135m L. That thing is awesome for full body portraits and it's moderately priced. Only thing is it's not an all around lens but I love the look. Bokeh just looks great.

(Not my photos)

debbie-11.jpg
3NVN2767-900.jpg
10546798946_a4a437909b_b.jpg
attachment.php

Santi......is the grain in photo your camera or a post process thing?

You should try the 135m L. That thing is awesome for full body portraits and it's moderately priced. Only thing is it's not an all around lens but I love the look. Bokeh just looks great.

The grain was added in post. Been messing around with VSCO Film.

I remember I rented the 135L back when I was shooting with a T2i, and loved it. Might have to look into that one as well. If I liked in on a crop sensor, I can't see why I wouldn't enjoy it even more on full frame. Those shots are awesome.

^^^Solid. Should be the new stable lens for entry level cameras, especially if you love landscapes. I still would get the Tokina 11-16mm just cause it's only a little more expensive and shoots at f/2.8 but if you are at a total budget, the Canon is the way to go.

Check out the Flickr pool. For a cheap lens, it gets some real good images. https://www.flickr.com/groups/canonefs10-18mm/pool/

Dopeeee. Get yourself an ND filter for the 50mm 1.4.

Were any of your shots at 105mm? If I were shooting portraits, I'd max it to 105mm for most of em! Get that silky smooth bokeh.

Last edited:
Fong - Good stuff and attempts. What helps me is I use place the clients or subject in the light I want. From there I gotta give direction on where to move and not to move any where else. Then do the something by telling them to move, look at the camera, or don't look at the camera etc. It's mainly the light first for me.

--

Recent stuff this weekend.

More on the blog.

IG - @dunksrnice
www.dunksrnice.net

For those of you who were interested in doing themed or challenge shoots, FStoppers now has a group portion of their website. There you will find a group called The Assignment here is the link. The first assignment is outdoor studio portrait, I will be taking part in these assignments because I think it is pretty dope. Here is an example of someone's assignment (not my images).

So I'm looking to invest in a tripod and a few reviews seem to point to the mefoto globetrotter being one of the best in the sub $300 category.

Would that seem to be a fair statement, or is it just hype about how they look? I'm using a 70d, no crazy heavy lens (55-250 canon is biggest), I am 6'3 and it seems to be built well and have decent height and the ability to convert to a monopod seems awesome for tight quarters.

I've read enough about tripods to understand that the consensus is to spend a large chunk on a good tripod once, but I can't stomach the idea of 700 on a tripod right now (meaning the next few years) so this seems to perform very well at a more reasonable price point for me.

I would much rather take that savings and put it towards a sigma 18-35. Can anyone offer advice on this or other tripods under 250? Used is fine too

Last edited:
Haven't busted out the camera in a long time. Need to get back into shooting soon

345/40ZR19 by Mayank4585, on Flickr

And yes I know this photo is out of focus but I though it looked cool, although I could lighten it up more now that I take another look at it. That shade of blue on the rear fender is pissing me off though.

Twins by Mayank4585, on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom