The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

At a place about an hour away that I've spent a lot of time over the years - near St Andrews (home of golf etc.). My parents have a holiday place here so having a few days. I've been trying to find this angle for a few years - it's like a painting I've seen. Turns out it's half way up the hill in the weeds! New Nikon 5200 is great and the tripod is awesome too - rock solid for long exposures.

Spent 90 minutes there trying to get a good shot - the light wasn't great but it was a warm evening so I thought I'd wait a while. I wanted to see the lights come on as it got dark - which takes a while this time of year.

The first was just after sunset - f/8, 1s.

Then about 30 minutes later - 20s exposure.

Then about another 30 minutes later - 39s exposure (pleased with that as you can only get automatic exposures up to 30s, after that it stays open until you press the shutter release remote again and I was just counting in my head and aiming for 40!).

I thought the later shots would be better but I'm not sure now - the middle one maybe has a better balance of brightness.

Last edited:
And I've always like this road down to the harbour - this is the steep road you can see going up from the harbour in the previous shots. Unfortunately since I last shot this angle they've changed all the lamps to LEDs with a really harsh white output - I preferred the warmer yellow color before.

I think this would be better a little earlier in the evening - so there is more light in the sky. I'll maybe try again tomorrow night.

The only thing I'm not that impressed with on my new camera is the battery life - but I just realised that I had it on live view for about 90 minutes and I guess that uses a lot more power. I'll need to remember that and not use it too often.

Last edited:
I have a weird question lol. How do you guys handle shooting people taller then you? Just something I thought about cause that girl looked tall lol. I'm like 5'6 -5'7

Last edited:
I'm 6'1" so it doesn't happen too often but if you need a different angle you need to stand on something. Probably worth getting a folding stool or something and putting it in your kit if you're shooting a lot of standing portraits.

At a place about an hour away that I've spent a lot of time over the years - near St Andrews (home of golf etc.). My parents have a holiday place here so having a few days. I've been trying to find this angle for a few years - it's like a painting I've seen. Turns out it's half way up the hill in the weeds! New Nikon 5200 is great and the tripod is awesome too - rock solid for long exposures.

Spent 90 minutes there trying to get a good shot - the light wasn't great but it was a warm evening so I thought I'd wait a while. I wanted to see the lights come on as it got dark - which takes a while this time of year.

The first was just after sunset - f/8, 1s.

Then about 30 minutes later - 20s exposure.

Then about another 30 minutes later - 39s exposure (pleased with that as you can only get automatic exposures up to 30s, after that it stays open until you press the shutter release remote again and I was just counting in my head and aiming for 40!).

I thought the later shots would be better but I'm not sure now - the middle one maybe has a better balance of brightness.

Shorter exposures work better for those shots in my opinion. The longer exposures make the reflections in the water look like a plume from a rocket, and I find it rather un-natrual. The expose on the first one of 1 second looks great.... just would have been nicer a littler later in the evening when the lights in the buildings were a bit stronger.

^^^Sick! I was there when I was in Florida. Not sure why but couldn't take really cool photos of the murals and just stopped after a certain point. Your photos are dope and capture the art.

Shot this today and then dropped my ND 10 stopper as well. This was about 45 seconds I believe but a waste of a $168 and only using it for a couple of days total. Need to buy another one now.

golden-nd-1a.png

Last edited:
I have a weird question lol. How do you guys handle shooting people taller then you? Just something I thought about cause that girl looked tall lol. I'm like 5'6 -5'7

One of my biggest pet peeves is people taking pictures at the wrong height. I'm 6'3 so I have yet to run into a taller subject but when we went to a portrait studio the woman who took our pictures would bend down to about 3'6 (I'm guessing) to take our daughter's pictures who is just 1 and she's barely two feet. And each pic looked like I was looking down at her instead of on her level. Still upsets me

Typically, its a good and the safest practice to be on the same level as you subject so if that means bringing a stool or getting on your knees or even your belly... do what you need to do to get the shot.

There are cases where being foot level and shooting up is good too... particularly when you want the horizon line in a lower third. Its better to do that w/ long glass. This was shot @ 200mm

There are also cases where being above and shooting down is good too.

Honestly, its all about visualizing and being thoughtful of the shot before you press the shutter.

Last edited:
Sup fellas. Im in the market for a camera as my Moms bday is coming up. Tired of getting her point & shoots that get dated every other year. Can anyone recommend a dslr that's simple to use for just family photos etc that will last a few years? Looking to spend 3-4 bills if that helps. Any advice is appreciated!

Sup fellas. Im in the market for a camera as my Moms bday is coming up. Tired of getting her point & shoots that get dated every other year. Can anyone recommend a dslr that's simple to use for just family photos etc that will last a few years? Looking to spend 3-4 bills if that helps. Any advice is appreciated!

Amazon product ASIN B00IB1BTWI
Honestly the lenses that come attached to these arent going to be much better than whats offered on a point and shoot.

cop a 50mm 1.8 too and now you're in business.

Amazon product ASIN B00X8MRBCW

native sony glass is getting extremely good :pimp:

My inner techy side wants an a7 r ii w/ the G master 24-70mm, 85mm, & 70-200mm

If only I had 10 grand laying around :smh: :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom