The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Tried some sunrise shots this morning. I've never done these before so its totally new to me. Iso was at 100 the entire time with no tripod so they're noisy. Any tips?

Get a tripod. They're not noisy at ISO 100 - they're blurry because you were handheld in low light. A tripod and a remote release (or the delay function) will make a big difference.

how many of you guys shoot film and scan it yourself? i plan to do a tutorial on scanning black and white film like a raw file. i'll show how i do it with the software and scanner i use. would anyone be interested in that?

I'm looking to pick a up 50mm for the 70D to use for portraits and shoes.  Having a hard time deciding if I want to get the f/1.4 or f/1.8.  Starting to lean towards getting the 1.8 as people say it's great value and sharper wide open.  The f/1.4 is currently on sale in my area while the f/1.8 isn't. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm looking to pick a up 50mm for the 70D to use for portraits and shoes.  Having a hard time deciding if I want to get the f/1.4 or f/1.8.  Starting to lean towards getting the 1.8 as people say it's great value and sharper wide open.  The f/1.4 is currently on sale in my area while the f/1.8 isn't. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Get the 50mm STM, especially since the 70D can take advantage of the STM for video. Also look into the 85mm USM which is around 135mm equivalent for portrait work as well. You can pick both up from Canon refurbished on the cheap, especially when they run of their sales.

Get the 50mm STM, especially since the 70D can take advantage of the STM for video. Also look into the 85mm USM which is around 135mm equivalent for portrait work as well. You can pick both up from Canon refurbished on the cheap, especially when they run of their sales.

All of this right here :pimp:

Tried some sunrise shots this morning. I've never done these before so its totally new to me. Iso was at 100 the entire time with no tripod so they're noisy. Any tips?

Definitely get a tripod. Also if you really want proper sunset shots, invest in a gradient filter. It does wonders and makes those kind of shots easy to shoot getting the foreground and background exposed right. You could just stack photos and shoot a subtle HD shot without it though. Some of those filters can be a real pain to handle and spend money on.

filters.jpg
GradCompare.jpg

Slowly editing my photos from this past weekend from my little birthday vacation. Spent it away from the city in Mammoth Lakes and stopped by Yosemite on the way back. Milky Way shots are still sort of a love/hate thing to shoot. I know some other NTer on here has shots from the weekend too. I can never expose the foreground right nor get a proper composition that I like. Still, I am happy with what I got and it was a fun trip. I also rented a 100-400mm lens which was fun and something different but realized I would never need any range at 400mm.

I'll post more as I edit.

mammoth-7a.png
mammoth-1a.png
mammoth-5.png
mammoth-2.png
mammoth-4.png
mammoth-6.png
mammoth-3b.png

Man fong.. u always crush it :pimp:

Most of those shots could easily be a part of Apple's stock wallpapers on OS X :wow:

damn fong, agree with dj, always killing it especially with the scenery and landscapes. some from 2 nights in tokyo. didn't shoot as much though.

27264520693_9de0dd74ee_c.jpg
27264438984_0f6199b070_c.jpg
27775341242_96ce0e1e8e_c.jpg
27841980376_ba728708a3_c.jpg
27898969965_9f4700ebbb_b.jpg
27841980686_0e0d7bc548_c.jpg

Last edited:

Definitely get a tripod. Also if you really want proper sunset shots, invest in a gradient filter. It does wonders and makes those kind of shots easy to shoot getting the foreground and background exposed right. You could just stack photos and shoot a subtle HD shot without it though. Some of those filters can be a real pain to handle and spend money on.

I had a tripod but was too lazy to get it out since I wasn't sure what I was doing. Just experimenting for the first time but I will get it out next time. Those pics that you posted...are those with a gradient filter or HDR?...Did you mean HDR when you typed HD or not?

Also :wow: at those yosemite shots. Always killin it, did you use a filter with them?

I had a tripod but was too lazy to get it out since I wasn't sure what I was doing. Just experimenting for the first time but I will get it out next time. Those pics that you posted...are those with a gradient filter or HDR?...Did you mean HDR when you typed HD or not?

Also :wow: at those yosemite shots. Always killin it, did you use a filter with them?
\

If you need to shoot anything longer than 1/10th of a second, I recommend using a tripod.

You're not gonna get noise at ISO 100.

Last edited:
when i use my 70-200 I typically dont hand hold anything less than 1/125.

I'll take a little noise over blur any day

Even my 24-70 i dont go much lower than 1/100.. no IS on that bad boy :x

Last edited:
There isn't one - it varies a ton depending on the light - you'll be at 10s and then a few minutes later it's daylight. You just have to get a balance between sky and ground and as someone said a minute ago a filter is useful for that.

What is the prime shutter speed range for sunset shots that works for you guys?

As a wedding / portrait photographer, I shoot 1/200 for portraits while using off camera flash to illuminate my subject.

This was shot at 1/200 f/14 iso 100

No filters or anything, just Lightroom processing

Last edited:
^^^^That is a rad shot!

Those pics, surprisingly enough, are all edited as RAW files, So with the sun being out, I got a lot of details in the pics and was able to edit it properly. I mean shoot HDR with sunsets cause it would balance out the foreground and background better. You can also shoot RAW and just edit the pics the same way as well.

I shot this as an HDR. If I exposed the background only, the foreground would be only a silhouette but when I did an HDR, all of it got exposed better. A gradient filter would have made my life easier but shooting as an HDR is just as easy as long as you edit it right in post.

sunset-1.png

Thanks for the tips. I'll go back with my tripod and mess with the shutter speed to see what I get. I'll try the HDR also just gotta figure out how to do it since I never shoot in that mode lol

I wouldn't go as low as f14 - somewhere around f8 is the sweetspot for most lenses - obviously shallow depth of focus much wider and much smaller and you lose sharpness due to diffraction.

Then I usually use the on camera meter to start with and if it's overexposed reduce the exposure or vice-versa.

I wouldn't go as low as f14 - somewhere around f8 is the sweetspot for most lenses - obviously shallow depth of focus much wider and much smaller and you lose sharpness due to diffraction.

Then I usually use the on camera meter to start with and if it's overexposed reduce the exposure or vice-versa.

If i was not using off camera flash, I would have used a higher shutter speed instead of using such a small aperture.

Also, with the 24-70 2.8 L II, I have found that anything over f/4 is extremely sharp, including this shot at f/14.... However, about 95% of the time I shoot it at f/2.8

Back
Top Bottom