The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

back then the t3i and t3 had some key diff.

t3i has spot metering, articulating lcd screen, infrared for remote shutter, can record video at 1080p, can record video at 720p @ 60fps, stereo microphone, higher res lcd, and higher mp. some may find it minor, but the slightly higher price tag seemed justified. the overall build quality of the cam also is more superior.

EDIT -- do ppl still use light meters? :nerd:

I've never used one... I just expose for the subject and take a test shot and change my ISO based on the test shot. Usually pretty close within half a stop

I do. I got me one of these bad boys.

kqLo6QH.jpg

I use it for when I shoot film. Absolutely necessary, for me anyways, with cameras that don't have a built in light meter. I'll also use it to double check the M7 which does have a light meter, but is pretty finicky with the readings since it only uses spot metering.

Gotcha... I know using an external light meter when shooting film is extremely helpful...

I technically use a light meter as a point of reference, just the internal one in my camera.

Need some advice guys

Gonna do a group photo session in a couple weeks. It'll be with a group of 10 people. I want to know how I can get everyone in focus and what lens i should use and also the settings to use. It'll be done outside so there will be lots of space to move around.

Right now I currently own: 24-70mm f/2.8 and 35mm f/1.4

Should i use a wide angle lens or something long like 70-200mm f/2.8? What about using a tripod?

If you have any examples that you've done, it'll be great.

Thanks

For a group that size 24-70 would be a great choice shot at around f/5.6 - 6.3. Before I had my 24-70, i was forced to shoot 70-200 for even big group pictures... just had to make it work :lol:

Shot at 70mm

1/200 f/2.8

Razor sharp

If you get everyone on the same plane, shoot with a big aperture... If you can get them on the same plane... shoot a smaller aperture

Currently working on going through all my old photos so I can grade em all and pick out and re-edit them so I can prepare to print em out and put together a couple physical portfolios as I wait to upgrade to a D3. I've never known tedious to be so real

Currently working on going through all my old photos so I can grade em all and pick out and re-edit them so I can prepare to print em out and put together a couple physical portfolios as I wait to upgrade to a D3. I've never known tedious to be so real

:wow: D3?!? what u need all that camera for :wow: :wow: :pimp:

eek.gif
D3?!? what u need all that camera for
eek.gif
eek.gif
pimp.gif
No specific reason actually lol

Top reasons I chose it:

Full Frame

Already attached vertical grip

9 Frames per second

I'm trying to go at photography a lil differently than before tho. Working on a growing portfolio online and physical while using a studio. Hopefully I'll be able to tour a few studios soon

\
:wow: D3?!? what u need all that camera for :wow: :wow: :pimp:

No specific reason actually lol

Top reasons I chose it:

Full Frame

Already attached vertical grip

9 Frames per second

I'm trying to go at photography a lil differently than before tho. Working on a growing portfolio online and physical while using a studio. Hopefully I'll be able to tour a few studios soon

Didn't you recently get like a d7100 or d7200? Do you have glass for the d3?

IMO you'd be significantly better off investing in glass especially if you're going to do studio work.

\

IMO you'd be significantly better off investing in glass especially if you're going to do studio work.

Yea got the 7100. I will be upgrading all my lenses. First one I'll be getting is the Tamron 90mm 2.8

Don't think I'll be getting any past 125mm this time

\

Yea got the 7100. I will be upgrading all my lenses. First one I'll be getting is the Tamron 90mm 2.8

Don't think I'll be getting any past 125mm this time

To be completely honest, you're so much better off with superior optics than a superior camera body.

The new Tamron 90mm 2.8 is a pretty good lens especially for the consumer end of nikon stuff...

For studio work, you gonna get long very high quality glass.

I'll take a d7100 w/ a nikkor 70-200 2.8 VR II over a D3 with any tamron lens every single time 100% of the time.

And if you wanted to shoot primes for the studio i'd take the nikkor 85mm f/1.4G or the nikkor 135mm f/2D

To be completely honest, you're so much better off with superior optics than a superior camera body.

The new Tamron 90mm 2.8 is a pretty good lens especially for the consumer end of nikon stuff...

I'll take a d7100 w/ a nikkor 70-200 2.8 VR II over a D3 with any tamron lens every single time 100% of the time.

And if you wanted to shoot primes for the studio i'd take the nikkor 85mm f/1.4G or the nikkor 135mm f/2D
Yea, in the little research and time I've spent in here guys do put importance on lens>camera but it's about time to upgrade for me. The full frame factor itself pushes me to move up because I also plan on taking pics again for the poetry events and I'll be dealing with lower lighting a lot. 

For studio work I'll prob pick up another 85mm lens, the Opteka I had was fun and intrigued with a manual only lens but will try to avoid it next time. 

Yea, in the little research and time I've spent in here guys do put importance on lens>camera but it's about time to upgrade for me. The full frame factor itself pushes me to move up because I also plan on taking pics again for the poetry events and I'll be dealing with lower lighting a lot. 

For studio work I'll prob pick up another 85mm lens, the Opteka I had was fun and intrigued with a manual only lens but will try to avoid it next time. 

Full frame is very appealing but i promise you it wont do you any good without the glass to put on it.

You'd probably be better off with something like a d610 or d750 if you're really looking for low light performance.

D3 was great for its time but that camera is really old now and there are much more superior sensors available for a very similar price.

Opteka 85mm f/1.8 manual focus lens :x :x :x Lord have mercy :rofl:

Full frame is very appealing but i promise you it wont do you any good without the glass to put on it.

You'd probably be better off with something like a d610 or d750 if you're really looking for low light performance.

D3 was great for its time but that camera is really old now and there are much more superior sensors available for a very similar price.

Opteka 85mm f/1.8 manual focus lens :x :x :x Lord have mercy :rofl:

I'm getting the D3 for about half retail so the price point is a lil further away from the more recent bodies, but you are right.

That manual focus was cool in theory, then after my son's field day I had to rethink every thing. Great stationary lens tho

Just ordered my first lens for my A7, the Sony Sonnar FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA. Definitely see the Sony Sonnar FE 35 f/2.8 ZA in the near future until I can pick up the Batis 25mm and 85mm lenses.

IDK how I feel about it, I have mixed feelings but how do you guys feel about copping used gear or cameras?
I don't have a problem buying used things but when it comes to my electronics I'm a bit more selective and cautious.

IDK how I feel about it, I have mixed feelings but how do you guys feel about copping used gear or cameras?
I don't have a problem buying used things but when it comes to my electronics I'm a bit more selective and cautious.

Camera gear is pretty much the only thing I buy used.

Camera gear is pretty much the only thing I buy used.

That's what I'm leaning towards as well.
Found a used D810 around the same price as a used D750(which I want) new

I look at it as well might as well get the better camera for the same price. At the same time idk

Just ordered my first lens for my A7, the Sony Sonnar FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA. Definitely see the Sony Sonnar FE 35 f/2.8 ZA in the near future until I can pick up the Batis 25mm and 85mm lenses.
You will love that 55. The 35 is on my radar after I get the 25mm Batis

Used photography gear is usually taken very well care of. Prob one category of used stuff that used can be practically new the majority of the time

Almost 100% of my gear is used... Camera and lenses are ALL used.

The only things I've purchased brand new is the Flash and Transmitter

I'll tell you what I tell everyone else.

You're better off investing in glass now before you plunge into full frame.

You'll have a much bigger improvement in your portrait work with better glass than a bigger sensor with weak glass.

Last edited:
a bit of a dump. stayed in japan for 5 nights. 3 in kyoto and 2 in tokyo. hit most of the tourist spots in kyoto but didnt get much in tyo as i was scrambling around the city stopping by stores looking for several things to buy in the small amount of time i was there. will be back later this year though. some from kyoto.

27759848211_30091046ce_c.jpg
27542187450_aaf55a2fb2_c.jpg
27206749374_ba5d5e1e68_c.jpg
27570720640_70437cded0_c.jpg
27236416193_8103343a2b_c.jpg
27541796810_c3913db0ce_c.jpg
27559907030_5fd0103335_c.jpg
27736568262_d9d3fefc22_c.jpg
27813673792_83ac8c6fa4_c.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom