The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Normally, I would say get glass over body, but the T3i to 7DMKII is such a big jump. What kind of glass do you have now? What is your price range?
Thanks for the response. As of now just one lens and that is the Canon 18-55mm. My max would be 1.5K

I've been having some trouble with the skies on long exposures at night. Can't seem to get the sky's color adjusted properly. The sky in the pic was pretty cloudy/fog so I know thats part of the problem. Can this be fixed or is the pic ruined?

How would you guy's edit this pic?

I tend to try and go b & w when I can't get the colors I want but that doesnt even help this pic.

Fong$tarr Fong$tarr tokes99 tokes99 :nerd:

What's wrong with the photo, what do you mean by ruined? It's a decent photo. I'd bring out the blacks, sharpen it a bit, and then adjust the white balance.

If I were you, I'd probably stick with your body and cop two lenses. Although, the 70-200 is very tempting.
I'd have to do more research on the 70-200 lens but which two lens would you recommend for the kind of photography I do.

I've been having some trouble with the skies on long exposures at night. Can't seem to get the sky's color adjusted properly. The sky in the pic was pretty cloudy/fog so I know thats part of the problem. Can this be fixed or is the pic ruined?

I tend to try and go b & w when I can't get the colors I want but that doesnt even help this pic.

I think most of it has to do with just the time the photo was shot at. Not all landscapes turn out the same. You could almost shot one spot 7 times in 7 days and almost get 7 different types of photos depending on how the weather is. Just go during blue hour when the sun is setting and you should get a better sky rather than the one you have. Makes it easier than just editing it to make it look nicer.

I'd have to do more research on the 70-200 lens but which two lens would you recommend for the kind of photography I do.

Only reason I recommended the 70-200 was for those "macro" shots or up close although it isn't a real macro lens. It may be a bit too long though.

I'm not too familiar with the Canon series of lenses so I automatically recommend L series :lol:
But, since you're working with a cropped body, I would suggest the 16-35mm 2.8 L. If you don't want to spend that much money, I suggest the 17-55mm 2.8. Any lens around those focal lengths would probably work for you.

Edit: How could I forget about this one! Probably THE best bang for your buck crop lens out there. It's the only zoom lens out there with a 1.8 aperture. I highly recommend it. I'd probably get this lens and keep the T3i until you save up more money for the 7DMKII. Just remember that the lens is a crop body lens only. Will not work well with a full frame camera if you decide to upgrade.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/967344-REG/sigma_18_35mm_f1_8_dc_hsm.html

Last edited:
Only reason I recommended the 70-200 was for those "macro" shots or up close although it isn't a real macro lens. It may be a bit too long though.

I'm not too familiar with the Canon series of lenses so I automatically recommend L series
laugh.gif

But, since you're working with a cropped body, I would suggest the 16-35mm 2.8 L. If you don't want to spend that much money, I suggest the 17-55mm 2.8. Any lens around those focal lengths would probably work for you.

Edit: How could I forget about this one! Probably THE best bang for your buck crop lens out there. It's the only zoom lens out there with a 1.8 aperture. I highly recommend it. I'd probably get this lens and keep the T3i until you save up more money for the 7DMKII. Just remember that the lens is a crop body lens only. Will not work well with a full frame camera if you decide to upgrade.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/967344-REG/sigma_18_35mm_f1_8_dc_hsm.html
Hahaha I see but I do appreciate the suggestion. Ill youtube those lenses to see their range. Ohh I see. I dont think ill be moving into the full frame world in a while
laugh.gif
 but thank you so much for your help!! 

I think most of it has to do with just the time the photo was shot at. Not all landscapes turn out the same. You could almost shot one spot 7 times in 7 days and almost get 7 different types of photos depending on how the weather is. Just go during blue hour when the sun is setting and you should get a better sky rather than the one you have. Makes it easier than just editing it to make it look nicer.

I concur, it's one of most interesting parts of picking up a camera; from day to day, moment to moment, the behavior of light can be wildly varied and affected by so many things that part of the appeal (for me anyways) is the pursuit of getting as many of those variables as possible to line up just so...

part of it is visualizing ahead of time what you want an image to look like and shoot accordingly, if you shoot in raw you get a bit more leeway to push (or save an image, such that you decide it is in fact worth saving rather than reshooting if not possible) an image to fit what you envisioned, in this case changing white balance, pumping up the clarity, and/or messing with the black levels/contrast/luminance/saturation/vibrancy might get you closer to what you want but obviously if you push too far the details start to get lost...

Thanks man. This thread keeps me shooting. Still working on the craft. I appreciate the feedback MjBetch. Miss your old avatar (lens cap on some tig ol bitties)

Shoooot, I can't believe people remember me because of that :lol: Can't wait to see more of your work, man!

Agreed.....my instagram has so many pics of the same locations I like to shoot (BK Bridge, DUMBO, NYC Skyline, etc) and there are differences in every single one. No two ever look exactly alike.

When i go to shoot on my days off, I always check weather, sunrise/sunset times, etc. and try to work within those time frames knowing what I would like to capture.

Haven't gone to shoot in a minute, however I'm spending the weekend with my gf in Queens (she said she would show me some places) so hopefully I have some different content to post.

Went cruising on my motorcycle but I was feeling kinda uninspired. Hopefully some new scenery in Cali will spark some creativity in me. (Though I'll probably end up taking a bunch of touristy shots, haha).

I swear one of the moms taking pics in that prom group was doing so with a flip phone.:smh: I was considering offering to take pics with my DSLR, but I figured that'd come off a little pretentious (not to mention pervy lol). I just let them rock and enjoyed my ice cream and coffee :nthat:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom