The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Anyone ever shoot infrared (IR) photography? Thinking about getting my old T2i/550D converted to 720nm. Any tips or advice?

I have the chance to buy a Canon 6D body with a shutter count of 96,000 for $500, is it worth it?

The owner suggests a factory cleaning and the dial plate has come off but that seems pretty common and an easy fix.

Thoughts?

Bought a 5d mark IV open box last night for $2,890 shipped

WE COOKING THIS YEAR BOYS!!!!!!!

Copped the 135mm f2L for only $525 out of pocket last week.

Hustle Hustle Hustle!

I have the chance to buy a Canon 6D body with a shutter count of 96,000 for $500, is it worth it?

The owner suggests a factory cleaning and the dial plate has come off but that seems pretty common and an easy fix.

Thoughts?

I personally wouldn't because I do not like buying a chore.

I'd rather spend a little more up front and have it ready to rock.

I'm the same way with cars. I'm not willing to buy a car that need to be fixed to drive.

Some people love the opportunity though!

Last edited:
Standout shots for me, great work

I went out yesterday to take pics and at times I feel like I don't have an eye for organic shots that don't have a defined subject. Like I can take a pic of a street or a street light but it feels so forced like I'm just doing it to not necessarily compete but to have something relative to post. No attachment to it artistically.

I got the itch to take some portraits and family shots. Went to a small studio around the bend too. May have to utilize ModelMayhem soon to get some shots out

on Flickr

Standout shots for me, great work

I went out yesterday to take pics and at times I feel like I don't have an eye for organic shots that don't have a defined subject. Like I can take a pic of a street or a street light but it feels so forced like I'm just doing it to not necessarily compete but to have something relative to post. No attachment to it artistically.

I got the itch to take some portraits and family shots. Went to a small studio around the bend too. May have to utilize ModelMayhem soon to get some shots out

probably dozens of people on ig waiting to have their picture taken in your area.

I get hit up every week on IG for the amazing honor of trade shooting w/ aspiring models.... always just send them my website and rates :rofl:

i havent been on model mayhem in a loooooonnnng time.

probably dozens of people on ig waiting to have their picture taken in your area.

I get hit up every week on IG for the amazing honor of trade shooting w/ aspiring models.... always just send them my website and rates
roll.gif

Only thing about that is there's likely more photographers with more work/word of mouth rep than me. Given the chance I can outperform the majority of these photographers out here I just can't get my chance. I gotta find a way to splash my way onto the radar.

I get hit up every week on IG for the amazing honor of trade shooting w/ aspiring models.... always just send them my website and rates :rofl:

Only thing about that is there's likely more photographers with more work/word of mouth rep than me. Given the chance I can outperform the majority of these photographers out here I just can't get my chance. I gotta find a way to splash my way onto the radar.

Me, too.

Just gotta work your way up.

The photographers you're talking about started somewhere, too.

I know that feel all too well. 99.999999999% of all of my big opportunities were not given to me. They were taken.

Honestly I don't even know how to approach a potential model. I know I'm over thinking it but trying to ask for help whole trying to come off as professional is new for me. Had I not lost my camera years ago I think I would have built up my rep

Honestly I don't even know how to approach a potential model. I know I'm over thinking it but trying to ask for help whole trying to come off as professional is new for me. Had I not lost my camera years ago I think I would have built up my rep

I was at that point too. I attacked it from 2 ways though... I felt like it took one model to give me a "yes" and then find a similar caliber model to target. With this approach you can find friends of models that you're interested in shooting, and shoot with then to get in with their friends. The second approach was to assist other photographers and get some shots in at their shoot if they allowed. It only takes one image at a time to build a portfolio to push to these models. Patience.

IDK why but ModelMayhem NEVER worked for me, I was always waiting for the approval message or something like that. Then it would slip my mind.

Me, too.

I know that feel all too well. 99.999999999% of all of my big opportunities were not given to me. They were taken.

[emoji]128070[/emoji] I needed that big time

Man I have that problem at times because I'm sure anti SMH. Which doesn't help in this field of work lol.
Seen a girl working at the gas station and man she was gorgeous about 5'7 nice frame and some of the most amazing cheek bones I've ever seen and for some reason I could not muster up anything to even say SMH

I've been getting better since then. At the same time man it just feels I'm not really getting anywhere.
As far as progression I see my work getting much better especially on the technical side but as far as revenue man....

Picking up my camera was never for the money but just a high interest I've always had and grew to truly love.
Though it may not be for the money that I would still like to receive much more than I do especially for what I do lol.

People in my city are so CHEAP. I don't know how to thrive in a society rather cheap prices over quality work. Granted there are other photographers who don't go through that as much, but we don't shoot the same stuff.

I haven't posted here in I don't know how long and wouldn't even know where to start, so I just post some of my favorites earlier in the year

Last edited:

I'm the same way with cars. I'm not willing to buy a car that need to be fixed to drive.

So I didn't take your advice and bought the camera :lol:

Since I was coming from a crop frame, I have to find a new lens to replace my Tamron 17-50.

Being the cheapo I am, I can't afford a Canon L lens, or a Tamron 24-70.

I did find some other relatively decently priced alternatives.

What do you guys think?

-Tamron 28-75 f2.8
-Tokina 28-80 f2.8
-Tokina 28-70 f2.8
-Sigma 24-60 f2.8

Last edited:
I was at that point too. I attacked it from 2 ways though... I felt like it took one model to give me a "yes" and then find a similar caliber model to target. With this approach you can find friends of models that you're interested in shooting, and shoot with then to get in with their friends. The second approach was to assist other photographers and get some shots in at their shoot if they allowed. It only takes one image at a time to build a portfolio to push to these models. Patience.
Ended up reaching out to some friends/fam and offered to take pics for em. As far as models out here, I'm trying to find a way to find em on IG without sounding like a creepo just trying to get half-nekkid shots

That'll be my next step tho, hittin' up IG local search and sending some DM's from my photography page and see what lands

Yeah pretty much this.

iamdef iamdef - I think you need to deploy self awareness and react to the reality of the way things are vs how you wish they could be.

Had you not lost your camera years ago you would have built up your rep........ the same exact way you need to now, fam.

You gotta hit people up w/ the same reputation as you and use them as a stepping stone. Then you can ask for more. But right now, you have no leverage. Nobody is gonna give you the time of day w/ 15 instagram followers and 6 posts (arbitrary low numbers).

You say you can out perform most people, then show it.... Hit up 30 people today. 10 people will respond. maybe 1 person will say yes.

Out perform

build your rep

rinse

wash

repeat

stop dissin the hustle.

Its all love, btw, fam. I wanna see you win.

IDK why but ModelMayhem NEVER worked for me, I was always waiting for the approval message or something like that. Then it would slip my mind.

Me, too.

[emoji]128070[/emoji] I needed that big time

Man I have that problem at times because I'm sure anti SMH. Which doesn't help in this field of work lol.
Seen a girl working at the gas station and man she was gorgeous about 5'7 nice frame and some of the most amazing cheek bones I've ever seen and for some reason I could not muster up anything to even say SMH

I've been getting better since then. At the same time man it just feels I'm not really getting anywhere.
As far as progression I see my work getting much better especially on the technical side but as far as revenue man....

Picking up my camera was never for the money but just a high interest I've always had and grew to truly love.
Though it may not be for the money that I would still like to receive much more than I do especially for what I do lol.

People in my city are so CHEAP. I don't know how to thrive in a society rather cheap prices over quality work. Granted there are other photographers who don't go through that as much, but we don't shoot the same stuff.

I haven't posted here in I don't know how long and wouldn't even know where to start, so I just post some of my favorites earlier in the year

Bro your work just continues to grow. always blessing my IG feed :pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

wish you came up in here more often!

Ended up reaching out to some friends/fam and offered to take pics for em. As far as models out here, I'm trying to find a way to find em on IG without sounding like a creepo just trying to get half-nekkid shots

That'll be my next step tho, hittin' up IG local search and sending some DM's from my photography page and see what lands

Hey _____,

My name is ____ and I am a local portrait photographer. I found your page and I think you would be a great fit to collaborate with on a photo session. My vision for the look is ___(insert something that isnt half nekkid)____. What are your thoughts? is this something you would be interested in? I am looking forward to hearing back form you.

- Name

:pimp:

Bro your work just continues to grow. always blessing my IG feed :pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

I really appreciate that so much bro for real.
I'm trying to put a little more effort into it now.

Man I was trying to come that way for Tyler Camp Flog Gnaw carnival and this dude......bumped it up this year it's usually in Nov SMH and the tickets already sold out SMH

So I didn't take your advice and bought the camera :lol:

Since I was coming from a crop frame, I have to find a new lens to replace my Tamron 17-50.

Being the cheapo I am, I can't afford a Canon L lens, or a Tamron 24-70.

I did find some other relatively decently priced alternatives.

What do you guys think?

-Tamron 28-75 f2.8
-Tokina 28-80 f2.8
-Tokina 28-70 f2.8
-Sigma 24-60 f2.8

Of those lenses, i 'd go with the tamron 28-75 f2.8.

They float around used for real cheap on amazon

http://amzn.to/2rkMoSr

I really appreciate that so much bro for real.
I'm trying to put a little more effort into it now.

Man I was trying to come that way for Tyler Camp Flog Gnaw carnival and this dude......bumped it up this year it's usually in Nov SMH and the tickets already sold out SMH

:rofl:

Bruh i remember enjoying your photography back when you were posting street art :pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

That one street fighter joint was :wow:

Keep up the hustle. Its beyond dope to see other NTers grow and flourish.

:rofl:

Bruh i remember enjoying your photography back when you were posting street art :pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

That one street fighter joint was :wow:

Keep up the hustle. Its beyond dope to see other NTers grow and flourish.

That's one of my favorite pieces because I'm a street fighter junkie
That's truly what got me into taking portraits.
After awhile taking those street art shots made me wonder if I had a model in front of them.
Shot a coworker on break and it's been history. I need to make it a habit to come back into this thread it's filled with soooo much information and great pics.

And same for you bro, I've always loved your pics but man I swear you took off like a rocket. I remember when you got rid of all your Nikon gear lol

Of those lenses, i 'd go with the tamron 28-75 f2.8.

They float around used for real cheap on amazon

http://amzn.to/2rkMoSr

I didn't know this lens existed. was looking for a cheap zoom for my 6D. Thanks for the heads up, copped an open box one. Based on the reviews, it should be great value for $200, hopefully my order doesn't get cancelled.

Awesome, since I need to get rid of my old EF-S 55-250 now which do you think is a better replacement?

-Tamron 70-300mm VC
-Canon 70-300mm IS (Non L)

Or any other suggestions you might make a nod towards?

Based on the reviews I read, I would go with the Tamron 70-300mm VC, especially if you buy used. I just ordered a used copy for $170 but have seen them around $200-250. I think there is a newer version of the Canon 70-300mm (non L).

We're gonna be gear twinsies :wow: :wink:

Since we do think alike, what other lenses are you shooting with?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom