The Official NFL Off-Season Thread - Tony Gonzalez traded to the Falcons

[h2]http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/12/jets-player-whyd-they-get-rid-of-chad/[/h2]
[h2]JETS PLAYER: WHY'D THEY GET RID OF CHAD?[/h2]
Brett Favre's days with the Jets are done.

But that didn't stop an unnamed player from questioning why New York brought him on board and let Chad Pennington go in the first place.

"Why did they get rid of Chad in the first place?" the player asked Rich Cimini of the New York Daily News. "Eric [Mangini] treated him like a first-year quarterback from Day 1. It was a bad decision from top to bottom, from beginning to end. Now we're paying for it. We put ourselves in this situation."

Meanwhile, rumors are swirling about who the Jets will pick as Favre's replacement.

According to Cimini, if Marc Bulger were to become available, the Jets would have interest.

Source
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3902683
******** will try to keep Hall

"The Oakland Raiders paid DeAngelo Hall $8 million for only eight games in 2008. The Washington ********, however, are ready to throw even more money at the two-time Pro Bowl cornerback in an effort to keep him off the unrestricted market.

The agent for Hall will meet with ********' officials next week at the combine workouts in Indianapolis to begin contract discussions. The team is likely to make a contract offer at that time. Keeping Hall with a deal will preclude him from testing the free-agent market beginning on Feb. 27.

Hall, 25, was traded from the Atlanta Falcons to Oakland last year for a second-round pick in 2008 and a fifth-round choice in the 2009 draft. But after the Raiders signed him to a contract reported at seven years and $70 million, and paid Hall handsomely for eight games, they released him, feeling that he was a profound disappointment in the single-coverage system they prefer.

A five-year veteran, Hall then played seven games with the ********, where he served as the No. 3 or No. 4 cornerback behind starters Shawn Springs and Carlos Rogers. The ******** also have veteran Fred Smoot at cornerback.

Whether a similar role with Washington in 2009 appeals to Hall, or whether he seeks a starting job again, remains to be seen. Retaining Hall would provide the ******** one of the league's deepest cornerback corps for 2009.

The former Virginia Tech standout is a two-time Pro Bowl performer, named to the NFC all-star squad in 2005 and 2006. He was the Falcons' first-round choice in the 2004 draft, the eighth player selected overall. "

Source

smh.gif
Michael Crabtree will not run at the Combine.

*sniff *sniff. Is that a 4.6 I smell ...

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

smh.gif

Where you seen that? There was an article in the paper here this morning that said he planned on full participation...
laugh.gif

I can't blame him, if true.

And if he really is gonna run a 4.6.

Just run @ your pro day or in private workouts on a fast track.

So where's Ray Lewis gonna end up going??

Well, i hope the Cardinals don't make bad moves or hire bad coaches
frown.gif

I know the Falcons are ready to make a big sign like they did with Michael Turner I'm just waiting to find out who. I hope its on their defense cause theyneed someone to compliment Abraham. I hope they sign Haynesworth or suggs or maybe even Asomugha.

smh.gif

Is it cause of that bum ankle he ha'd for almost the whole season? Or is it cause he's as slow as a turtle?

Originally Posted by gabers

smh.gif

Is it cause of that bum ankle he ha'd for almost the whole season? Or is it cause he's as slow as a turtle?

1st question: He hurt that ankle in the last reg season game vs Baylor in the end of November.
2nd question: Yes, he's slow. I dont know how slow but he's definitely not Percy Harvin, Dez Bryant, or Jeremy Maclin.
however,
4.6 WRs can be very effective tho if they have some combination sudden bursts/strengt/great C.O.D. which he seems to have.
ex Jerry Rice, Q. Boldin, Chris Chambers.

Mike's problem at the next level is that he's gonna have to refine his route running somethin serious... He's gonna have to tighten up getting outof his routes before he's ready to contribute at the NFL...

If you got speed, you can get away with it... But if you're 4.5-4.6 speed, you better be able to run routes... And Crabby ain't a very good routerunner right now...

Garcia needs to get out of TB fast..I'd welcome him on the Vikings but with that means we still are in need of a long-term QB (Tarvaris may be that,probably not though)

Also, the fact that the Jets are now looking for a starting QB is going to affect a lot of teams plans..they are probably the most attractive option for any QBthat's exploring the market. Certain teams that were expecting to address their QB needs through free agency might now have to do it through the draft, andvice versa

Favre's 'retirement' actually clears one hurdle for QB to land with Vikings
[table][tr][td]
Favre150.jpg
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Brett Favre
[/td] [/tr][/table]
Because of Packers-imposed stipulations in the trade that sent QB Brett Favre to the Jets last August, the Vikings would not reasonably have been a landing spot thereafter for Favre, with serious draft-pick repercussions coming into play.

That is, until Favre announced his retirement on Wednesday. Believe it or not, Favre's chances of playing for the Vikings are better now that he has given the Jets word of his decision. Although the Jets retain his rights, releasing him could free up some necessary salary-cap space and open the door for Favre to change his mind and land with another team. Once he has been released, the Vikings could - in theory - sign Favre without owing anyone anything in compensation. Likewise, the Jets would not owe the Packers anything in return (they would have had to send three first-round picks to the Packers if they traded Favre to Minnesota). Could Favre change his mind and play for the Vikings? Perhaps.

There have been reports that Patriots QB Matt Cassel remains Minnesota's top target, with Byron Leftwich and Jeff Garcia other options, but you can't rule out the possibility of Favre going back to the Black and Blue Division.

Source
Eagles could find themselves in showdown with Giants for Boldin

There is a growing sense that the Eagles might be willing to pay a hearty price for a wide receiver, just as there is equally strong sentiment that the Cardinals will have to end up trading disgruntled WR Anquan Boldin. The Eagles, armed with two late first-round picks (theirs and the Panthers', Nos. 21 and 28), might be willing to meet a rumored ballpark price of first- and third-round picks for Boldin, or close to what the Cowboys paid for WR Roy Williams at the trade deadline last year. But there also might be another close suitor for Boldin - the division-rival Giants, who feel they were one player away from winning a Super Bowl last season, instead of losing to the Eagles in the playoffs. The market is still very young, and no decisions have been made on any front on this matter. But the next few weeks should be fascinating from the standpoint of which side or sides - Eagles could find themselves in showdown with Giants for Boldin

There is a growing sense that the Eagles might be willing to pay a hearty price for a wide receiver, just as there is equally strong sentiment that the Cardinals will have to end up trading disgruntled WR Anquan Boldin. The Eagles, armed with two late first-round picks (theirs and the Panthers', Nos. 21 and 28), might be willing to meet a rumored ballpark price of first- and third-round picks for Boldin, or close to what the Cowboys paid for WR Roy Williams at the trade deadline last year. But there also might be another close suitor for Boldin - the division-rival Giants, who feel they were one player away from winning a Super Bowl last season, instead of losing to the Eagles in the playoffs. The market is still very young, and no decisions have been made on any front on this matter. But the next few weeks should be fascinating from the standpoint of which side or sides - Boldin or the Cardinals? Eagles or Giants or another team? - show their hand first.Boldin or the Cardinals? Eagles or Giants or another team? - show their hand first.
Source

[h2]http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/14/peppers-will-ask-for-trade-if-tagged/[/h2]
[h2]PEPPERS WILL ASK FOR TRADE IF TAGGED[/h2]
Posted by Sheil Kapadia on February 14, 2009, 3:24 p.m. EST

In a conference call with local reporters, Julius Peppers reiterated that he wants out of Carolina, especially if the Panthers use the franchise tag on him.

"If they decide to use the tag on me the first thing I will be doing is request a trade," Peppers said, according to Steve Reed of CarolinaGrowl.com.

Peppers was asked if he planned on holding out if the Panthers couldn't complete a trade.

"Anything after that is basically I don't know," Peppers said. "I don't know what would be the next course of action."

Franchising Peppers would cost the Panthers about $17 million. If Carolina can't agree to a deal with offensive tackle Jordan Gross before the deadline, they could face a decision on which player to tag.

The way Peppers sees it, Carolina's decision is an easy one.

"Jordan Gross has came out and said he wants an extension," Peppers said. "We have one player who says he does want to stay and one player who wants to move on. I would try to accommodate the guy who wants to be there."

Peppers once again said he would be better utilized in a 3-4 defense, something he doesn't see happening in Carolina.

"Coach (John) Fox is a 4-3 guy and I could never see him changing," he said.

Teams have until Thursday to designate the franchise tag.

Source
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1034214.html
Chiefs fire five assistant coaches

0 Comment
February 14
Kansas City Star

"Seven weeks after the season has finished, the Chiefs finally got around Friday to firing five of their assistant coaches.

Dismissed were position coaches Jon Embree (tight ends), Curtis Modkins (running backs) and Eric Price (wide receivers) as well as quality control coaches Mike Ketchum and Kevin Patullo.

It is unclear whether Chan Gailey (offensive coordinator), Bob Bicknell and Joe D'Alessandris (offensive line) and Tim Krumrie (defensive line) will remain with the team and work for new head coach Todd Haley.

Four members of Herm Edwards' staff have already departed for other jobs. Defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham went to the Lions, special-teams coach Mike Priefer to the Broncos, secondary coach David Gibbs to the Texans and quarterbacks coach !#%# Curl to the Rams.

Various reports have the Chiefs speaking with former New Orleans defensive coordinator Gary Gibbs and Ball State offensive-line coach Pat Perles about positions on Haley's staff."

Gibbs has been the head coach in college at Oklahoma and the defensive coordinator at LSU and Georgia before starting his NFL coaching career in 2002 as the linebackers coach for the Cowboys. He remained with the Cowboys for three seasons under Bill Parcells and then joined the Saints in 2006.

The Saints finished near the bottom of the league in defense last year, and Gibbs was fired.

Perles is also a coaching veteran, having worked in college at Michigan State, North Dakota State, Toledo and Ball State, in the NFL for the Rams and for three teams in the CFL.

Source

Originally Posted by TrillipinoTrapstar

Eagles need to act quick and get to negotiating for Boldin.

that'll almost be unfair if Phili gets Anquian

Originally Posted by Rash

Nah, McNabb is on the decline and Westbrook I still believe is overrated (primarily because he's always hurt), McNabb peaked with TO a few years ago, andwith Boldin the Eagles will only set themselves to be disappointed.

^^ I disagree. McNabb still has it and he's one #1 WR away from getting a ring, which even though he plays for the Eagles, I strongly feel he deserves. Guytakes that bum #+# city to 5 NFC Championship games and they want him out. SMFH....

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

Originally Posted by Rash

Nah, McNabb is on the decline and Westbrook I still believe is overrated (primarily because he's always hurt), McNabb peaked with TO a few years ago, and with Boldin the Eagles will only set themselves to be disappointed.

lol I hope you're right

[h2]http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/16/bucs-dont-want-garcia-back/[/h2]
[h2]BUCS DON'T WANT GARCIA BACK[/h2]
Posted by Mike Florio on February 16, 2009, 2:47 p.m.

In what quickly is becoming the President's Day Massacre, another veteran player has learned that he won't be welcome back to his most recent place of employment.

Specifically, Buccaneers quarterback Jeff Garcia says that his agent was informed on Sunday night that the free-agent-to-be won't be pursued by the franchise with which he spent the past two seasons.

"My time in Tampa has come to an end," Garcia said, according to the St. Petersburg Times.

"It is disappointing because I enjoyed the atmosphere and the team environment in that locker room," Garcia said. "Change is needed at times. Sometimes it's how you tweak it, not change it. With a new head coach, they want somebody pulling the trigger that they can mold. Beyond that, I don't know why they're making the move."

(Um, it might have something to do with the pissing and the moaning and the threats to retire from last year. But what the hell do we know?)

Skilled in the West Coast Offense, Garcia could become an option in Minnesota or Seattle. The Vikings, however, didn't pursue him two years ago, when he hit the market after leading the Eagles on an unexpected playoff run.

"I do feel like I have football life in me," Garcia said. "I feel I can still contribute. I'm not sure what my role will be with another team. I'm not looking at it like I need to start and be the man. . . . Hopefully, I'll have some opportunities out there. I'm pretty sure there's going to be something out there for me."

Free agency opens on February 27, three days after Garcia's 39th birthday.

Source

Chris McAlister got released by BMore.

Is he still a serviceable corner? I know he was injured for almost the whole year.

[h1]Report: Peppers trade list only has 4 teams[/h1]
[h2][/h2]

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) - Julius Peppers still wants out of Carolina, but he'll only agree to be traded to four teams, further complicating the Panthers' efforts to get compensation for the four-time Pro Bowl defensive end.

On the eve of the deadline to place the franchise tag on Peppers, a person close to the player said Wednesday that the impending free agent wants to play for Dallas or three other unnamed teams, two of them in the NFC.

The person, speaking on condition of anonymity because the list wasn't supposed to be made public, said Peppers wouldn't agree on a trade to any other team, which would limit the Panthers since Peppers would likely have to sign a new contract with that new team before a trade could be executed.

Carolina would likely seek a first-round draft pick and other compensation for their all-time sacks leader, who announced last month that he wanted to leave after seven seasons. The Cowboys don't have a first-round pick this year. The Panthers would also likely prefer Peppers not play for a fellow NFC team.

Panthers general manager Marty Hurney, in Indianapolis for the NFL scouting combine, declined comment.

The news provides another twist in an important - and perhaps very costly - week for the Panthers, who are also trying to hammer out a new contract with Pro Bowl left tackle Jordan Gross. That deal could cost Carolina approximately $9 million a year.

It was thought that if the Panthers could sign Gross before Thursday afternoon, they would slap the franchise tag on Peppers. That would mean offering a one-year deal worth $16.7 million, and no other team could sign Peppers without giving up two first-round picks.

That would leave the Panthers the option to trade Peppers and get compensation in return, similar to what Kansas City did last year. After placing the franchise tag on defensive end Jared Allen, the Chiefs traded him to Minnesota for a first-round pick and two third-round choices.

But Allen also agreed to a six-year contract with the Vikings that included $31 million in guaranteed money and could be worth $74 million if he meets certain incentives.

Peppers, who had a career-high 14 1/2 sacks last season, turned down a contract offer from Carolina last year that would have made him one of the highest-paid defensive players in the NFL. Interested in playing in a 3-4 scheme instead of Carolina's 4-3 defense, Peppers wouldn't say last week if he would hold out of if the Panthers place the franchise tag on him and then don't trade him.

Back
Top Bottom