THE OFFICIAL KOBE 9 THREAD ****** WHAT THE KOBE RELEASED ******** BHM RELEASE 1/19

Whats your favorite Kobe 9 Elite?

• Masterpiece

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • NRG Black

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NRG White

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Devotion (All-Star)

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Inspiration

• Perspective

• Detail

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Showtime

• Superhero

• Fundamentals

• Influence

• Legacy

• Victory

• Strategy

• Christmas

• What the Kobe

• BHM

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
I get what you mean. My only point is, people are reacting like they're not willing to shell out $$ when in fact most are. Also, the angle that most people don't realize is, some releases will be easier to grab since people will be turned off by the pricepoint.

Yeah, I see what you mean there. People have definitely shown that despite complaining about it, they'll still go out and shell out that kind of money on pairs they like.

These Kobes are probably going to be beautiful at that price.

That's a high price to pay for a player on his way out and on a bad injury. I could care less what CW Kobe wears. That doesn't sway me one bit. There is no justifying going from $140 to $220. F all that. Nike is trippin. It's become a joke that I don't find funny. :smh:

so kobeoverbron, what will kobe wear at the start of the season? and what will he wear at xmas?

Its stupid to think that nike doesnt look at resellers price. They see people copping for a price they gonna try and make that the new retail

so kobeoverbron, what will kobe wear at the start of the season? and what will he wear at xmas?

good point up there. why would Nike not want to get a piece of that pie? They see people blowing money, why not right? The status of the Kobe line is also on a different level right now. From the zk4-8, it has been nothing but game winners for them plus it's not like Kobe's play and career is diminished. All is well in Kobe land and with him being on track to full recovery, you know it's gonna be a good final 3 years for Nike and Kobe.

I'm willing to bet most colors would sit at $200-$220. Look at the elite sales the last 2 years, people were not havin it...

I'm willing to bet most colors would sit at $200-$220. Look at the elite sales the last 2 years, people were not havin it...

But the elites were an extension of the 8. The regular 8 wasn't a takedown version of the elite, it was the main shoe. There were only a few CW that dropped as an elite and not many people would drop 200 on a shoe when there were 25+ CW's at 140 with basically the same tech.

If the 9 is going to be limited in CW's at 200-220 then Nike forces the hand of the consumer. I can deal with the price increase but if they will be super limited then missing out is gonna be expensive. To me there is a big difference in missing out on a limited CW at 140 and paying 250 to get them, then missing out on a limited CW at 200-220 and having to pay 300+ for them.

These WON'T sit. They will sell out just because of what the Kobe line has become and you can't blame Nike for the price hike.

I'm a biggest fan of any of the Kobe 8, but if the price on Kobe 9s is $220, I'll literally get 2-3 CWS MAX. When I currently have 18 of the 8s.

220 is pretty much confirmed at this point. so yeah...

But you're missing something lewi... The prevous elites were not limited in numbers. Heck, all the ASG sold out! including the black gold elites.

The 9s will be quite limited by default.

These will have to be very impressive and the colors will have to be on point before I decide to drop that kind of money, even then I can't see going too wild on these.

some people bought 8 pairs, 10 pairs, 15 pairs and 20 pairs of the Kobe 8.

8 pairs = $1200 that's at least 5 pairs of Kobe 9 at $220.

If you're a simple guy like me with 3 pairs = $420 that's around 2 pairs of the 9.

If you got 20 pairs of the 8s, you can afford 12 pairs of the 9.

I get the initial reaction but from a numbers standpoint, I don't get the "2-3" pairs max. Maybe it's just the feeling of paying more for something...

Hey, if you can afford them, why not. I for one can NOT. If for some reason they sit and drop in price, that's a different story. I just don't see that happening. I wonder what Kobe thinks of the price increase and if his fans can afford it. I know he has to look out for himself with the injury and all but in turn, this will injure our pockets. This is when I remind myself that these are only shoes and I don't NEED these. :smh:

I think the reaction has to do with the price doubling in one year. $140 to $220 is a drastic jump for a pair of shoes.

some people bought 8 pairs, 10 pairs, 15 pairs and 20 pairs of the Kobe 8.

8 pairs = $1200 that's at least 5 pairs of Kobe 9 at $220.

If you're a simple guy like me with 3 pairs = $420 that's around 2 pairs of the 9.

If you got 20 pairs of the 8s, you can afford 12 pairs of the 9.

I get the initial reaction but from a numbers standpoint, I don't get the "2-3" pairs max. Maybe it's just the feeling of paying more for something...

For me its just not wanting to pay 220 + tax/shipping each time. Also the logic that if one purchased 20 pairs of 8s that they can afford 12 pairs of 9s doesn't take into account that people who bought that many 8s don't make it a habit to get that many CWS of a single model shoe normally.

I'm one of those people who did go crazy on the 8s, but never planned to make a yearly habit out of purchasing 20+ CWS. You are correct in that I and many others could afford the 9, but for me, its simply a matter of not wanting to. I feel much better dropping that 1400 and getting 10 pairs of shoes as opposed to dropping 1400 and getting 6/7.

But the elites were an extension of the 8. The regular 8 wasn't a takedown version of the elite, it was the main shoe.

damb, Nike's got people fooled...
I refuse to believe that BS. As a designer you want to make the best product possible.

IMO elites were presented to the shot caller for BB division & they probably said "i love it...but make it cheaper so we can have a higher profit margin"

this year might be the REAL TEST to see what us as consumers will spend for a QUALITY product from the go

they tested us with 3 versions of the LeBron 8, leaving Kobe 6s & KD 3s untouched

following year they hit us with the ELITE line. Changed the LeBron 9 & improved the Kobe 7...KDs left out of the mix

this year's line involved KDs(awful changes tho+breaking away from his >$100 priciple) and suped up the lebrons & Kobes with cracking carbon fiber

maybe this year they get it right and give us what we want...but at a price.

While pulling a rope-a-dope by offering takedown models(won't be long before we see the ambassador stateside) and raise the prices on the sigs to keep/increase profits

we should all know by now Nike listens to THEIR #'s more than OUR words

Last edited:
I love Kobes and I really would like to buy 10+ pairs of 9s as long as I like the design and the colorways. But man, 220 + tax is steep. 10 pairs and we are talking 800 dollars more than the previous year. While it won't make or break most, its just like a big fat gut punch, just knocks the wind out of ya. I know its reaching, but I really hope they reevaluate that suggested retail price.

Last edited:
It's annoying when people defend nike to death like they getting free shoes. @kobeoverbron after all the reasons you listed it is still crazy to go up $80 in a year and s dub said that the 8s are not selling well or well enough in some areas including so cal. Let's be real in the us kobe is one of the most hated players it's dumb of one of your reason is slow sales in some areas to raise a hated player shoe by $80. Yes it makes it easier for us who want to buy the 9s because these will sit worse in those same areas the 8s are. Slow sales if the 9s better not stop them for going all out for the 10s.

My perspective comes from someone who will play in his kicks. Years ago I may have been considered a sneakerhead, but once adulthood struck, other things became more important. I buy one pair of shoes to play ball in, and I wear them til' the wheels fall off, just as I did when I was a kid. If the shoe is well made, then with high quality materials, I expect them to last from three to nine months, while playing at least three to five times a week, perhaps five games per run. For 220, I'd expect that sort of shoe to last about a year, then perhaps even more. No offense to anyone here, but this is where I place value, and I never, ever fall for that performance hype. Performance for me is how durable and resilient the shoes are, while giving me support when and where I need it, for as long as they are able to be laced. Perhaps Kobe needs his shoes to feel as if they've been played in for six months or more, right out of the box, but the downside of that is when a shoe feels that way from the jump, this also means that they are not going to last very long, as per the last few models in his line. It seems that now if I am going to wear a Kobe Bryant shoe, then expecting it to last me for a good while, it's going to have to be the Crazy 8, or whatever they are calling them these days.

It's sad because I like the look of most of Kobe's newer shoes from Nike, I just wish Nike made them with better materials, especially if they are going to charge that much.

Good luck guys, and enjoy.

Last edited:
IMO the 8's aren't selling as well due to over-producing of the line.

Nike accommodating every JOE BLOW who wants to venture in the "hip" small business of reselling isn't doing anyone any good.

how many red, orange, grey/green, purple/plum/pink CWs do we need?

seems like they want to get back to basics with the 9, while introducing new tech

My perspective comes from someone who will play in his kicks. Years ago I may have been considered a sneakerhead, but once adulthood struck, other things became more important. I buy one pair of shoes to play ball in, and I wear them til' the wheels fall off, just as I did when I was a kid. If the shoe is well made, then with high quality materials, I expect them to last from three to nine months, while playing at least three to five times a week, perhaps five games per run. For 220, I'd expect that sort of shoe to last about a year, then perhaps even more. No offense to anyone here, but this is where I place value, and I never, ever fall for that performance hype. Performance for me is how durable and resilient the shoes are, while giving me support when and where I need it, for as long as they are able to be laced. Perhaps Kobe needs his shoes to feel as if they've been played in for six months or more, right out of the box, but the downside of that is when a shoe feels that way from the jump, this also means that they are not going to last very long, as per the last few models in his line. It seems that now if I am going to wear a Kobe Bryant shoe, then expecting it to last me for a good while, it's going to have to be the Crazy 8, or whatever they are calling them these days.

It's sad because I like the look of most of Kobe's newer shoes from Nike, I just wish Nike made them with better materials, especially if they are going to charge that much.

Good luck guys, and enjoy.

I see your point and its a good one with a great reason/logic behind it. But when it comes to a basketball shoe designed for a NBA player, they could care less about the general public. If they are truly designing it to perform the absolute best for the player who's shoe it is, they are literally only aiming for the shoe to hold up for one game. Since Kobe himself has an unlimited supply of shoes to play in, needing to design the shoe to last even 2 games is not necessary for the most important factor, the NBA player.

Of course, that conflicts with the regular guy who isn't going to play in a brand new pair every game/day. But, Nike also knows the majority of the shoe purchases is solely based off looks/fashion instead of performance or longevity. For people without unlimited funds, at the price these shoes currently cost, people look to take as much care of them as they can. For the average buyer, the cost is already so high that most cannot afford to beat the shoe up and grab another.

Sure, you have your exceptions like most that participate on these boards. But the average buyer has to be very selective with their purchases and how they care for their shoes as they can't afford that many. Which in turn causes those same buyers not to push the shoe to their limits which in the end means Nike's main goal is performance for Kobe for one game and just to make sure the shoe stays together for awhile for the reg buyer.

Back
Top Bottom