THE OFFICIAL KOBE 9 THREAD ****** WHAT THE KOBE RELEASED ******** BHM RELEASE 1/19

Whats your favorite Kobe 9 Elite?

• Masterpiece

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • NRG Black

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NRG White

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Devotion (All-Star)

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Inspiration

• Perspective

• Detail

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Showtime

• Superhero

• Fundamentals

• Influence

• Legacy

• Victory

• Strategy

• Christmas

• What the Kobe

• BHM

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
Nike probably charging this much to make up for slow sales during the recession smh. I think a reasonable solution to these would not be excluding the gr pairs on FTl and the rest of them. Another thing if a $140 shoe with a very non likable player is sitting, what makes them think a $220 shoe for the same player with his teams being full of scrubs would do?

Nike probably charging this much to make up for slow sales during the recession smh. I think a reasonable solution to these would not be excluding the gr pairs on FTl and the rest of them. Another thing if a $140 shoe with a very non likable player is sitting, what makes them think a $220 shoe for the same player with his teams being full of scrubs would do?
My thoughts exactly.

My thoughts exactly.
Sitting? I don't work in retail so admittedly I have no personal idea of how the 8s are selling in store, but a lot of the 8 colorways seem to be pretty quick sellers online. I know from going to NTNY a couple of times talking to the employees that the Kobes have been the best selling of the big 3 sigs this past season for them. I'm sure they're maybe sitting in certain areas/regions, but they seem to be doing pretty well, at least much better than the VIIs. I think to add to that, regardless of how Kobes sell in the US, clearly he's super popular in China, which is a gigantic market that can easily make up for any sales or "likeability" issues in the US.

That said, I'm not happy about the $220 price tag either and will definitely be limiting myself with these. I also have no real interest in getting any of the takedown models.

Last edited:
Sitting? I don't work in retail so admittedly I have no personal idea of how the 8s are selling in store, but a lot of the 8 colorways seem to be pretty quick sellers online. I know from going to NTNY a couple of times talking to the employees that the Kobes have been the best selling of the big 3 sigs this past season for them. I'm sure they're maybe sitting in certain areas/regions, but they seem to be doing pretty well, at least much better than the VIIs. I think to add to that, regardless of how Kobes sell in the US, clearly he's super popular in China, which is a gigantic market that can easily make up for any sales or "likeability" issues in the US.

That said, I'm not happy about the $220 price tag either and will definitely be limiting myself with these. I also no real interest in getting any of the takedown models.
I don't like any of the takedown models from any year, why are they so cheap looking? how much do they retail for? they look like something you could get at sears...imo

Last edited:
Yeah, I mean, I'm not opposed to the idea of there being takedown models or anything like that, especially since I know growing up as a kid, I didn't always have the pocket money to grab whatever the newest shoe/tech was, so a takedown model was at least an alternative that I could cop. But now that money isn't as much of an issue for me any longer, I'm really only looking to cop things that offer newer tech/features and don't like the idea of "settling" for a takedown model. It just sucks that the retail bump is going to be so ridiculously drastic compared to all of the previous Kobe sigs, which have always been in that $120-140 range. I'm definitely not a fan of how Nike's new strategy seems to be pimping the takedown model as the new $120-140 shoe while bumping the main sig up by a huge amount. I get that flyknit (which I love, by the way) warrants a price bump, but $80 from the 8 to the 9 still just seems excessive.

My thoughts exactly.

- Only 4 Retailers
- Less Colorways
- 220$ retail
- Takedown model available in the US for once

These all point to the scheme that they are using limited availability to sell these

If every colorway is limited i dont doubt these still sell

i mostly stick with SBs & Kobes... hearing that they wont be dropping too many CWs & that they might be priced @ $220 & reading how many people are not happy with price tag, prolly make it easier for me to cop the colors i like. we shall see what nike has to say and how the shoe looks... regardless though if the price does turn alot of people away it means a nice amount will make it to the outlets so youd be able to scoop em up for under $200 

Why is Nike messing with this line? They were doing so well with the 8. (Besides the ridiculous color choices at times, and hardly any Laker CWs). I've copped almost every retail 8 release. But at 220...naw son. I'd rather just go buy some more Kobe 5s/6s.

$220 is too much for many people who plan to hoop in them. I personally wouldn't want to beat a $220 show into the ground, it is just too expensive, I my opinion. I will buy some, but unless they are phenomenally better than 8s or hyper dunks, I am probably not going to seriously hoop I them.

That said, I'm not happy about the $220 price tag either and will definitely be limiting myself with these. I also have no real interest in getting any of the takedown models.
I do not work in retail either, but it seems really strange to me that if a product is doing as well as you seem to think it is, that Nike would not repeat that formula of success. Why would they cut back on a product made for a player that is supposedly popular, then raising the price of said product, then limiting availability, if it were indeed doing so well?

Nike is in the business of taking our money.
- Only 4 Retailers
- Less Colorways
- 220$ retail
- Takedown model available in the US for once

These all point to the scheme that they are using limited availability to sell these

If every colorway is limited i dont doubt these still sell
I am not so sure that this scheme is going to work, not for Nike, nor the consumer.

I wonder how Kobe's clothing line is doing, as I am certain that it's a part of his deal as well.

Not gonna read into those not buying because of the price until the first hyped/limited release(looks to be htm/x'mas) :tongue: I haven't bought a Kobe, above $200 retail, mainly because they looked boring. If it's gonna look nice I'm gonna pay the price but gonna be selective/limit what I'm gonna buy after that. Just need them to show every color way including iD so I can see what I will use this 15% code on.

Pardon my ignorance, but are HTM releases usually more expensive?

And the Venomenon/expensive sig model strategy could be for a number of reasons - uncertainty of how he'll play, how the team will do, branding the IX as a "luxury" shoe, whatever. I'm interested to see why they're doing it.

give me some good venomenon colorways and im fine. Nike is smart though they realize that demand is high and by decreasing the supply and increasing costs will actually lead to higher profit for them.  if 10 people buy a pair of shoes for 70 dollars= 700 dollars. If 5 people buy a pair of shoes for 140 dollars = 700. Revenue may be the same but that means they pay less for workers to produce the shoes which will lead to higher profit. It also means that they need less material as well. They are just trying to capitalize on the success of the 8 and see where it goes. I bet there will be enough people buying the 9's so that they wont have a need to lower the price.

Damn 220, didn't expect that and a kobe line without a christmas cw, seems strange. Wonder if there will be 2 kobe 8 Xmas's

when I said the price will be at least $200 way back, people :rolleyes
Who said a xmas 9 will release in limited numbers? that's purely a rumor.

also, people have been paying 200-300 for limited colorways of a $140 shoe. Wouldn't you rather pay $200 on a $200 shoe? I guess the catch is, you're gonna have to really make an effort to purchase.

People need to understand, this is the start of the Kobe line transformation. The Kobe line has reached the point where it can actually sell shoes at the $200 mark. How do you do that? Make them limited and let Kobe wear em on court.

Thats true but that much of a price increase just wasn't expected( If its true) I hope they don't dissapoint

also, people have been paying 200-300 for limited colorways of a $140 shoe. Wouldn't you rather pay $200 on a $200 shoe? I guess the catch is, you're gonna have to really make an effort to purchase.

You didn't really make any actual point here fam. If someone is dropping $200-300 on a shoe that costs $140, that means that they're buying on the resale market and therefore are eliminating the factor of having to exert effort to get that pair. Paying for convenience pretty much, with shipping usually being included in the price.

That $220 is $220 on the retail market, and you still have to exert effort, plus probably pay tax and/or shipping. There's no parallel there. The $200 for a shoe that costs $140 while you get to sit back and relax would be a clear winner if someone had to decide entirely on what we have right here.

I guess the only good thing here would be that shoes that retail over $200 don't typically have huge resale prices. But it sounds like Nike is playing around with limiting various things with these so who knows.

Last edited:
You didn't really make any actual point here fam. If someone is dropping $200-300 on a shoe that costs $140, that means that they're buying on the resale market and therefore are eliminating the factor of having to exert effort to get that pair. Paying for convenience pretty much, with shipping usually being included in the price.

That $220 is $220 on the retail market, and you still have to exert effort, plus probably pay tax and/or shipping. There's no parallel there. The $200 for a shoe that costs $140 while you get to sit back and relax would be a clear winner if someone had to decide entirely on what we have right here.

I guess the only good thing here would be that shoes that retail over $200 don't typically have huge resale prices. But it sounds like Nike is playing around with limiting various things with these so who knows.

I get what you mean. My only point is, people are reacting like they're not willing to shell out $$ when in fact most are. Also, the angle that most people don't realize is, some releases will be easier to grab since people will be turned off by the pricepoint.

Back
Top Bottom