THE OFFICIAL KOBE 9 THREAD ****** WHAT THE KOBE RELEASED ******** BHM RELEASE 1/19

Whats your favorite Kobe 9 Elite?

• Masterpiece

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • NRG Black

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NRG White

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Devotion (All-Star)

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Inspiration

• Perspective

• Detail

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Showtime

• Superhero

• Fundamentals

• Influence

• Legacy

• Victory

• Strategy

• Christmas

• What the Kobe

• BHM

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
Story behind the NRG pairs :nerd:

I kinda want them now :wow:

835057774.gif

Because they correlate. Making a story, making them limited, more buzz is created. People will buy shoes just to resell and just to post on IG how cool they are.

If you don't see all of that happening and understand that, than you are truly sheltered.

Sheltered is not realizing that tons of GR brons and KDs have back stories and have sat over the last two models.

Nobody had problems getting their hands on pressures, PB&Js, Akron V Miami's, Re-Entry's, Splatters, Meteorology's etc...

Backstory does not mean unattainable.

Dude never mind twitter. Good old Human interaction. they looked me in my face when they said one entry per person per day. And the person behind me. As well as the person before me. Or maybe I should just be keeping this info to myself?? Probably should, it's only the third day of the raffle.
I don't know man, it's kinda hard to take your word when you didn't even know what shoe you were getting raffle tickets for...but if it's one per day, so be it.

Who cares about whether Nike makes a back story or not.  If you like a shoe, buy em.  If not, keep it movin

Nike's job is to sell shoes and they are gonna do whatever they think it takes to sell the most shoes, even if it means writing a book on each sneaker released

Who cares about whether Nike makes a back story or not.  If you like a shoe, buy em.  If not, keep it movin

Nike's job is to sell shoes and they are gonna do whatever they think it takes to sell the most shoes, even if it means writing a book on each sneaker released
Yeah, why not just stop paying attention to the backstory? People get mad because it builds hype for some shoe. That's what they want to happen, it's the whole point. Why would they stop this?

Sheltered is not realizing that tons of GR brons and KDs have back stories and have sat over the last two models.

Nobody had problems getting their hands on pressures, PB&Js, Akron V Miami's, Re-Entry's, Splatters, Meteorology's etc...

And unattainable doesn't mean that they sold poorly, and it definitely doesn't mean that there's no correlation between Nike's chosen marketing strategy and the continued increase in sales and interest in their product that they've seen recently.

But back to the Kobe's specifically...

Is it just me or do the Inspiration (Yellow Laker pair) have green flyknit woven in? Or is it just the lighting in the photos that we've seen of them so far?

Because they correlate. Making a story, making them limited, more buzz is created. People will buy shoes just to resell and just to post on IG how cool they are.

If you don't see all of that happening and understand that, than you are truly sheltered.

GR kicks sit? WHO WOULD OF THOUGHT

:stoneface:

That's not what IM talking about.

I don't know man, it's kinda hard to take your word when you didn't even know what shoe you were getting raffle tickets for...but if it's one per day, so be it.

believe it or not, EVERYONE who was there thought they were raffling for MASTERPIECES. being that nike said the MP were the first Kobe 9 to release after the preludes. so dont do that to me.

Backstory and limitedness correlate. Along with marketing. Nike didn't go all in for PB&Js etc like they have for these.

Calling these the "masterpieces" from the jump was going to stir the pot no matter what. Throw that with the prelude crap and their storytelling comes across as pure marketing genius.

A shoe having a nickname is different than having a story that Nike wants to tell us. :rolleyes

believe it or not, EVERYONE who was there thought they were raffling for MASTERPIECES. being that nike said the MP were the first Kobe 9 to release after the preludes. so dont do that to me.
Well I just called DSM, and you were right about DSM doing one per person per day.

lol, I don't know man, the black and white pairs were both sitting right there on the raffle table when you sign up.

Well I just called DSM, and you were right about DSM doing one per person per day.

lol, I don't know man, the black and white pairs were both sitting right there on the raffle table when you sign up.

I tell no lies!!!

idk man, i wasnt looking at those weak colorways, i thought it was simply a promotional display for the GR versions that would drop alongside the masterpieces.... like a raffle for the masterpieces, and then those two GR's would be available to the "line outside" who didnt get the MP's... idk.

obviously nike's story telling worked on the older folks then just as its working young cats today, every generation wants to put down the one that come after them because they do things a differently or in their own way, but the constant has been nike's story telling; that was the one thing that they've done better than others...

The distinction that needs to be made here is between STORY TELLING and MARKETING. Nike has always had a great ability to market their products (or to hire Wieden and Kennedy to market their products), but this whole "every shoe has some divine inspiration behind it that we must now impart to you before it releases so that you have an adequate nickname for our product" spiel wasn't happening until a few years ago, and it's really picked up steam in the last year or two.

you are definitely right about there being a distinction between marketing & storytelling, but the 2 are related now especially & increasingly so. most athletes didn't have commercials but they were certainly in print ads, and designers definitely had inspiration & links to athletes when they create product (which is more the point I want to make) I wasn't trying to offend or put people into a box...but I do think it comes down to the story, whether it comes from the brand (ads, etc.), a community (nicknames), or the individual (nostalgia/connection to a particular player) of course varies for everybody...

I was just perusing for info on these moves, and these comments stood out to me....back to your regularly scheduled programming...

LMAO AT THIS CONVO ABOUT STORYTELLING.

ITS NEEDED BC KOBE IS NOT JORDAN 

THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE END.

WANNA KNOW WHAT BACKWARDS?

MAKING A BLACK AND WHITE PAIR LIMITED TO RAFFLE

you are definitely right about there being a distinction between marketing & storytelling, but the 2 are related now especially & increasingly so. most athletes didn't have commercials but they were certainly in print ads, and designers definitely had inspiration & links to athletes when they create product (which is more the point I want to make) I wasn't trying to offend or put people into a box...but I do think it comes down to the story, whether it comes from the brand (ads, etc.), a community (nicknames), or the individual (nostalgia/connection to a particular player) of course varies for everybody...

I was just perusing for info on these moves, and these comments stood out to me....back to your regularly scheduled programming...

I agree with this 100%. Designers have always had inspiration (Tinker talking about MJ's nickname being the black cat when designing the XIIIs springs to mind), but Nike rarely used those inspirations and stories as their primary marketing pitch. It's the increasing connection between marketing and story for every release that I find worth talking about. I won't comment on if it's good or bad, but I will say that based on what various sources have said about sales numbers, it certainly seems to be working.

I wasn't a sneakerhead as a kid, but I definitely remember watching MJ do ridiculous things from the couch in my living room, seeing kids wearing his sneakers at school, and then saving up for like a year to get a pair. It seems like what some of the older guys in this thread are lamenting is the loss of that experience. To keep it on Kobe, last year Kobe did some absolutely ridiculous things on the court and then NIke seemingly refused to release the colorways of the 8s that he did them in. Lebron's not even WEARING his sig shoe this year and it's selling better than last year's model by a large margin. So as many other posters have pointed out before me, we're in the midst of a new era.

The last thing I want to point out about the story telling - marketing connection is that the Kobe 9 seems like an experiment by Nike. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never seen a push like this for the release of a sig shoe. 2 months of weekly retros leading up to the first new release, two surprise hyper-limited raffle drops only in NYC (on Super Bowl weekend no less), a surprisingly detailed story and inspiration for every single colorway released so far. If we don't see a bunch of Nike athletes in 9 elites in the next few weeks then I'll eat my hat. I have no inside track to NIke's thinking or marketing strategy, but I have a feeling that if this works then this type of hype before the release of a new sig will become the norm, especially for older/injured athletes. If it doesn't work, then we may just start to get a return to the old days where they were more dependent on on-court success to push specific colorways.

TLDR; Woah this marketing push for the Kobe IXs is crazy.

LMAO AT THIS CONVO ABOUT STORYTELLING.

ITS NEEDED BC KOBE IS NOT JORDAN 

THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE END.

WANNA KNOW WHAT BACKWARDS?

MAKING A BLACK AND WHITE PAIR LIMITED TO RAFFLE
Naw bro, they aren't just "black and white" they're a tribute to Kobe's favorite cookies that he ate once before a game. They're the Oreos. :nerd:

Last edited:
http://nikeinc.com/news/laissez-les...14-nola-gumbo-league-collection#/inline/27056
[h2]KOBE 9 ELITE MAESTRO[/h2]
Nike Basketball pays tribute to the masters of Jazz in its birthplace.  Like great jazz musicians who play instinctively, Bryant brings a similar improvisation to his game. Paying homage to this classic genre and some of its greatest musicians, the KOBE 9 Elite Maestro  uses accents of brass in the upper. A glow-in-the-dark outsole pops at night, just as the jazz clubs swing into action. The upper includes additional, secret glow-in-the-dark symbols.

The remarkable, collective basketball skills on display in New Orleans Feb. 14-16 are as eclectic as this internationally beloved city.  Leading the charge for Nike Basketball with special interior lining graphics are the LEBRON 11 Gator King, KOBE 9 Elite Maestro and KD VI Illusion; each including a commemorative tarot card and special edition box with purchase of each shoe.

The 2014 NOLA Gumbo League Collection will be served up on Nike.com and at select retail locations on February 14.

As they say in New Orleans, Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Let the good times roll!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom