THE OFFICIAL KOBE 9 THREAD ****** WHAT THE KOBE RELEASED ******** BHM RELEASE 1/19

Whats your favorite Kobe 9 Elite?

• Masterpiece

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • NRG Black

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NRG White

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Devotion (All-Star)

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Inspiration

• Perspective

• Detail

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Showtime

• Superhero

• Fundamentals

• Influence

• Legacy

• Victory

• Strategy

• Christmas

• What the Kobe

• BHM

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
One thing that I think is overlooked with these recent 'divine inspirations' is that a lot of these ideas are coming from the sig athletes too.  Lately when designers sit down with them it's not like:  Here's the shape, what colors should we slap on them?

Nike's trying to create a more personal connection to the sig shoe by way of colorways.  I'm guessing these masterpieces, perspectives, etc. were nearly all Kobe's idea and may not have been forced on by Nike.  Kob could be the one attempting to glorify each colorway.  I don't know, just a thought.

Let me reiterate -- I don't care for it, but it seems that this plays some part in it along with the attempt at hyping up/selling more shoes

That's a possibility, especially if Kobe's public persona is anything close to what he's like in the design studio. But if I had to guess, I would say that the constant stories are 80% marketing to 20% athlete input. The evolution seems to be that Nike used to release one or two sneakers per year that would have some interesting back story or inspiration that would be used to sell the shoe. And at some point around 2010-2011 they came to a realization that if they could make every release seem stand out and special then the desire for their increasingly expensive product would go through the roof. So far I have to say that they were right, and this new strategy has been a huge success.

^^^

NICE.

Columbus, born & bread, right here bro. 
nthat.gif

as a 32 year old with a career, raising a 6 year old son on my own, putting myself back through school to attain my masters etc. i agree with EightFivefresh's last statement, and to expand upon it....I would assume that many of the older guys on here like me could care less about the story teliing. We get what we like, and continue to do so because its one of the last connections we still have with our childhood. Sneakers and basketball. One of them I have been doing as long as I can remember, and the other I have been doing as long as I could afford. He's completely right that MJ didnt need commercials to sell. Sure, it probably boosted sales a bit, but like he said we did not have internet so wed huddle around the TV and watch the GOAT lead the bulls through the finals with some of the most memorable moments in basketball ever seen. Nike is trying to force that and unfortunately those kinds of things aren't something that can be artificially produced. Anyways.... Like I said earlier it is kind of a senseless debate, and it certainly works for Nike as far as sales. For those who dig the stories, more power to you. Its nothing to be ashamed of, i think the sum of it all is everyone has their reasons for purchasing collecting. We are all here for the love of them darn sneakers, so sit back relax, and have a pepsi/ :D

I must admit.... The Ray Gun story is one of the dumbest things I have ever seen Nike come up with though. I couldnt help but laugh, I cant take things like that seriously :rofl:

naws lets have a coke! lol

So just to confirm i've been reading this thread's last 10 pages since i could not find a definite answer are the Masterpieces gonna be limited?also @kobeoverbron   any word if titan is getting the Masterpieces? 

So just to confirm i've been reading this thread's last 10 pages since i could not find a definite answer are the Masterpieces gonna be limited?also @kobeoverbron
  any word if titan is getting the Masterpieces? 

dont really look like they will be limited because the same 'rsvp services' that charge $99-$200 to secure an rsvp for limited shoes are only charging $20 for these.....

I aint taking any chances and I tripled up. :x

So just to confirm i've been reading this thread's last 10 pages since i could not find a definite answer are the Masterpieces gonna be limited?also @kobeoverbron
  any word if titan is getting the Masterpieces? 

They don't look too limited, but you never know. If NDC decides to make them TLO next week, then you know there's fewer pairs of them out there than most of us think there are.

is that what they told YOU...
laugh.gif

wow they screwed some people

its ONE entry per person per DAY.
I was going to go with you know they're all rigged.I also like how website says raffle but when you call Customer Service they say there is no policy. Every store is different. Very Shady.

I was going to go with you know they're all rigged.I also like how website says raffle but when you call Customer Service they say there is no policy. Every store is different. Very Shady.

now that i know im not raffling for the masterpieces i dont really care.

to tell the gods honest truth, those two "nyc only" colorways are garbage and yes, I would resell the crap outta them if i won the "gaffle". theres a die hard kobe fan somewhere.

Last edited:
They don't look too limited, but you never know. If NDC decides to make them TLO next week, then you know there's fewer pairs of them out there than most of us think there are.

naw tlo has nothing to do with it as far as knowing how limited they are. the black tongue v were tlo and there were tons

Last edited:
Why do people think Nike's back stories have anything to do with availability and people purchasing for any reason other than just simply liking the shoe?

There is no link to either of those issues.

This conversation just seems like an excuse for older guys to flex their "sneaker game seniority" and feel better about themselves :lol:

Early Jordans released about 3 c/w's per model. Sig shoes now are dropping near 30, of course the marketing strategies differ.

Why do people think Nike's back stories have anything to do with availability and people purchasing for any reason other than just simply liking the shoe

Because they correlate. Making a story, making them limited, more buzz is created. People will buy shoes just to resell and just to post on IG how cool they are.

If you don't see all of that happening and understand that, than you are truly sheltered.

Why do people think Nike's back stories have anything to do with availability and people purchasing for any reason other than just simply liking the shoe?

There is no link to either of those issues.

If you really, honestly, truly believe that... then I've got a beach house I'd like to sell you in Idaho.

as a 32 year old with a career, raising a 6 year old son on my own, putting myself back through school to attain my masters etc. i agree with EightFivefresh's last statement, and to expand upon it....I would assume that many of the older guys on here like me could care less about the story teliing. We get what we like, and continue to do so because its one of the last connections we still have with our childhood. Sneakers and basketball. One of them I have been doing as long as I can remember, and the other I have been doing as long as I could afford. He's completely right that MJ didnt need commercials to sell. Sure, it probably boosted sales a bit, but like he said we did not have internet so wed huddle around the TV and watch the GOAT lead the bulls through the finals with some of the most memorable moments in basketball ever seen. Nike is trying to force that and unfortunately those kinds of things aren't something that can be artificially produced. Anyways.... Like I said earlier it is kind of a senseless debate, and it certainly works for Nike as far as sales. For those who dig the stories, more power to you. Its nothing to be ashamed of, i think the sum of it all is everyone has their reasons for purchasing collecting. We are all here for the love of them darn sneakers, so sit back relax, and have a pepsi/
happy.gif

I must admit.... The Ray Gun story is one of the dumbest things I have ever seen Nike come up with though. I couldnt help but laugh, I cant take things like that seriously
roll.gif
MY GUY. 
nthat.gif

Again, the point of the stories is to add more "value" to the shoes. It gives people more "reason" to go out and by them.

Back
Top Bottom