THE OFFICIAL KOBE 9 THREAD ****** WHAT THE KOBE RELEASED ******** BHM RELEASE 1/19

Whats your favorite Kobe 9 Elite?

• Masterpiece

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • NRG Black

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NRG White

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Devotion (All-Star)

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Inspiration

• Perspective

• Detail

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Showtime

• Superhero

• Fundamentals

• Influence

• Legacy

• Victory

• Strategy

• Christmas

• What the Kobe

• BHM

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
yeah blue crabs are a Maryland thing but that's a stupid theme/backstory for a shoe "KD grew up in Maryland.............they have blue crabs.........he ate them time to time......." thats lame, the PB&J was his favorite sandwich as a kid so I guess that's ok but still kinda lame

:lol: blue crabs is a tribute to his home state. not sure how that is lame.

laugh.gif
blue crabs is a tribute to his home state. not sure how that is lame.
lol its stupid bro I don't care

Last edited:
yeah blue crabs are a Maryland thing but that's a stupid theme/backstory for a shoe "KD grew up in Maryland.............they have blue crabs.........he ate them time to time......." thats lame, the PB&J was his favorite sandwich as a kid so I guess that's ok but still kinda lame
Pretty much. It's like saying kobe liked to color as a kid so we made a coloring book shoe. Kobe drank breast milk so we made a breast milk colored shoe.

like I said before, some of the stories are ok, they make some sense, but a lot of them they just OD on

the masterpiece doesn't need a big story behind it, the colorway is dope and honestly out of the colorways i've seen its the only one I want so far

Agreed with stories sentiment. If you're going to tell your story through art and inspiration, make it meaningful. When they suggest that one of the most interesting things about you is your appreciation for peanut butter and jelly, it comes off as gimmick to sale, which it is.

...the trend of Nike using these back stories as a primary part of their marketing pitch is relatively new.

Didn't the Jordan 9's run an entire campaign about his alter ego's or some bs like that?

Laney's, Flints, Motosports, etc aren't shoes named after colors, they are all marketed back stories.

This is nothing new, but again you guys are looking for things to complain about.

You don't have to read every press release from Nike with a back story. By the time they come out we've already developed an opinion and come up with a strategy to snag a pair, so the information is completely irrelevant.

And I've seen tons of GRs with stories, we all know the nicknames have nothing to do availability.

It's corny, but who cares.

Agreed with stories sentiment. If you're going to tell your story through art and inspiration, make it meaningful. When they suggest that one of the most interesting things about you is your appreciation for peanut butter and jelly, it comes off as gimmick to sale, which it is.
totally agree

Didn't the Jordan 9's run an entire campaign about his alter ego's or some bs like that?

Laney's, Flints, Motosports, etc aren't shoes named after colors, they are all marketed back stories.

This is nothing new, but again you guys are looking for things to complain about.

You don't have to read every press release from Nike with a back story. By the time they come out we've already developed an opinion and come up with a strategy to snag a pair, so the information is completely irrelevant.

And I've seen tons of GRs with stories, we all know the nicknames have nothing to do availability.

It's corny, but who cares.
honestly  I really don't care, you're right its corny we know that and end of the day it really doesn't matter because I know for myself I am going to buy a shoe for the way it looks not the story but aren't Laney 5s the color of his high school? so I don't see those as corny actually, same with the KD Seat Pleasant's they had a legit backstory behind them

Only reason I will complain about these back stories are that they are similarly treading Prelude waters. Focused on fine art, sculptures, etc. They both have the names of the shoes stitched on the inside.

Don't care about the marketing or any of that. Just do not want the shoes to be unobtainable ala Prelude.

Pretty much. It's like saying kobe liked to color as a kid so we made a coloring book shoe. Kobe drank breast milk so we made a breast milk colored shoe.

:rofl:

The Kobe 9 stories remind me of the Kobe 3 ad campaign. But back then Nike just drummed up stuff for commercials, not individual colorways.

Only reason I will complain about these back stories are that they are similarly treading Prelude waters. Focused on fine art, sculptures, etc. They both have the names of the shoes stitched on the inside.

Don't care about the marketing or any of that. Just do not want the shoes to be unobtainable ala Prelude.

The Prelude Pack is based off the Kobe 9. That's were the art inspiration for the pack comes from. Not the other way around.

details are a must have . i just hate that nike is making these limited, and drags the release out so late into the season.

Motorsports are 2010, so that's recent. Laney's are the colors of MJ's high school, so no stretch there. The 9s multiple hidden personalities was an interesting marketing attack for when he retired, but the actual shoes related to those back stories only released what, a year or two ago? Flints? The only flints I can think of come from the color "Flint Grey."

Whether you realize it or not, yes, the idea that EVERY RELEASE has an imaginative back story is a new strategy, and apparently it's working because as other people have pointed out (can't remember if it was this thread or another) sneakers are selling like wildfire no matter how many releases NIke/JB pumps out.

In other news....

The more I look at the Grey pair of IX elites the more I like them. I'm really hoping that these don't look as good in person as I think they will so that I can save some money.

I'm just hoping everyone guns for the tiffanys so I don't have a problem getting the masterpiece. fingers crossed.

^There were zero pairs released yesterday. It's a raffle.

Pardon my ignorance, but can you explain why they said they were dropping January 26th yet no shoes dropped?

If it was raffle, when do the raffle winners get their shoes?

hopefully pics of the flyknit lows or some more EM lows drop soon... there is only so much that can be said about the backstory argument... NEXT

Last edited:

Pardon my ignorance, but can you explain why they said they were dropping January 26th yet no shoes dropped?

If it was raffle, when do the raffle winners get their shoes?
1/26 was the first day of the raffle, and they're continuing it through the rest of the week. I think winners will be notified on Friday or Saturday.

Correct, even with the raffle, nobody is getting it anytime soon. It is pretty stupid for them to announce that you can get your Kobe 9's on 1/26 when you really can't. Also find it weird that they're gonna drop some boring Kobe 9's first before the Masterpieces and especially only in NYC. Sucks for the rest of the country. 

We'll all find out on Superbowl Sunday. I won't even hear my phone ring with the commotion my house is going to go through for that game. Also, the raffle is each day until end of Saturday. Anybody know if Dover is doing the same thing of a raffle entering every day?
The Prelude Pack is based off the Kobe 9. That's were the art inspiration for the pack comes from. Not the other way around.
yup, if your HoH carried the prelude pack, there should've been a pillar in the store that had this.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom