THE OFFICIAL KOBE 9 THREAD ****** WHAT THE KOBE RELEASED ******** BHM RELEASE 1/19

Whats your favorite Kobe 9 Elite?

• Masterpiece

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • NRG Black

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NRG White

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Devotion (All-Star)

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Inspiration

• Perspective

• Detail

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Showtime

• Superhero

• Fundamentals

• Influence

• Legacy

• Victory

• Strategy

• Christmas

• What the Kobe

• BHM

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
Can we go back to nicknames based on the colorway and not these esoteric bs marketing names that I can't even pretend to keep straight?

Another thing I've noticed about the stories that they have for each shoe is that they never mention the artist's name. Its always something like "The Italian artist from the 1400s that inspired this shoe painted blah blah..." Why not just say Michelangelo (or whoever the artist is that inspired the shoe)? :lol:. I guess they aren't allowed? Idk it just doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited:
^Fake one?

And there might be trademark or copyright issues where Nike would have pay royalty fees for explicitly mentioning/using certain things, which is why they keep it kinda vague in some cases.

Back story's are lame and are thrown in there for the kids you need justification for their purchase. Also for a "reason" to collect them.
seriously. remember when what the player did on the court wearing the actual CW made up the backstory?

Another thing I've noticed about the stories that they have for each shoe is that they never mention the artist's name. Its always something like "The Italian artist from the 1400s that inspired this shoe painted blah blah..." Why not just say Michelangelo (or whoever the artist is that inspired the shoe)? :lol:. I guess they aren't allowed? Idk it just doesn't make sense to me.

They mention Picasso as the inspiration for the blue ones, and that's cool I guess, but then nickname them the "Picassos" or the "Aqua Blues", not the "Perspective." To be fair, sneaker designs have pretty much always had stories like this (just think of all of the things that Tinker mentioned as inspiration as he was designing Js), the problem is that the nickname and back story is THE marketing pitch instead of just something for interested fans of the design/sneakerheads to naturally discover and use to build a connection to the product.

But enough of that rant. I'm going after the Masterpieces and the Perspective (blue ones). When I first saw these I thought they were horrible, but then the ridiculousness of them started to grow on me. I guess I'm just a slightly ridiculous person.

ETA

Just read the official Nike version of the blurbs... yeah that is weird as hell that they can't/don't mention Picasso or Michelangelo by name. Artists that old seem like all of their names/likenesses should be in the public domain.

Last edited:
like for real, just make a dope cw attainable gotta chill with this milestone backstory bs lol
There's always going to be a backstory of why the colors or design is chosen. Nike doesn't really ever just throw colors together that could look good anymore. Everything has some sort of inspiration, their designer's like the way this plan has gone. I don;t think it's going to change anytime soon. It's working.

Last edited:
Just read the official Nike version of the blurbs... yeah that is weird as hell that they can't/don't mention Picasso or Michelangelo by name. Artists that old seem like all of their names/likenesses should be in the public domain.
Exactly what I was thinking. Plus it's not like Nike is just printing an exact replica of one of their works onto the shoe. :\

Last edited:
You know you guys don't have to read the **** right?

Yes. We are aware. However I personally have always liked finding out the inspiration behind the design for different sneakers. As I and others have mentioned there have always been these inspirations, but the trend of Nike using these back stories as a primary part of their marketing pitch is relatively new. I think that commenting and having a conversation on the way that a sneaker is being marketed and how that reflects on a general trend in the industry's marketing strategy (or at least the largest company in the industry) is worth doing.

Last edited:
Masterpieces & Details for me... luckily RD for em is more then a month apart from each other 
happy.gif

Not sure if anyone gives a ****, but the Masterpiece Shorts have unique prints on them.

I have 2 pairs of the same colorway and they're both totally different.

1 is basically all snake print and the other looks like some swirly Twilight Zone print, :lol:

Will be returning the Twilight Zone pair later today.

Last edited by a moderator:
The backstory is cool sometimes, but most of the times I really think they just make the stuff up to drive up the hype and sell the shoe out. I think going forward we are going to see that big time with the big three lines. Every KD colorway had some lame story behind it, some made sense but colorways like the blue crabs and PB&J were just totally out there lol
I'm not sure about pb&j but I know the blue crab is about him being from Maryland... correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not sure about pb&j but I know the blue crab is about him being from Maryland... correct me if I'm wrong.
yeah blue crabs are a Maryland thing but that's a stupid theme/backstory for a shoe "KD grew up in Maryland.............they have blue crabs.........he ate them time to time......." thats lame, the PB&J was his favorite sandwich as a kid so I guess that's ok but still kinda lame

Back
Top Bottom