The Official Anime & Manga Thread Vol: 三

Boku no Hero Academia
Uh oh, Deku's got a yandere admirer now. :lol:
Abd they got Baku too. I sure hope he doesnt turn heel willingly. :lol:

Anybody else watch Higurashi already? Idk what the **** is going on every episode but for some reason I'm sticking with it.

So I just finished Akame Ga Kill. Yes I know I'm late and from what I searched kinda of hit or miss in this thread. What do you guys recommend to watch next?

So I just finished Akame Ga Kill. Yes I know I'm late and from what I searched kinda of hit or miss in this thread. What do you guys recommend to watch next?
Deadman wonderland or assassination classroom if you haven't already...

I'm sorry, but what? :lol: Kenshin was never a samurai? The **** are you talking about? His Master trained him to be a samurai. He fought in a conflict against other samurai, in one of the most infamous conflicts involving samurai in world history (the bakumatsu), various people in the series note he's a samurai, and he never gave up being a samurai until after the series proper: hence him still carrying around a sword and even further improving his skills with it.

Saying he shouldn't be identified as a samurai because he wasn't born into a certain class honestly makes no sense. This is a fictional story and that's therefore irrelevant. Within his fictional story, the fictional character is a samurai. You honestly might as well try to argue that Naruto's not a ninja because he wears bright clothes, screams all the time, and can use magical attacks powered by chakra. :lol: Who the **** cares? It's a fictional story and within it none of those things stops him from being a ninja, which he's also identified as, just as being born a peasant doesn't stop Kenshin from being a samurai.

He was no longer an assassin, but continued operating as a samurai based on the school in which he was taught. And fun fact: Hitokiri Battosai is taken from the real world Hitokiri of the Bakumatsu who were a group of FOUR SAMURAI who filled the exact same role in history that Kenshin does in the show. Kenshin is specifically based off of Genzai Kawakami, who was again a samurai, from his appearance to his sword style. Arguing that he's not a samurai within his series makes zero sense.

How would calling it by its real name confuse most viewers, when some versions of the anime series were called "Ruroni Kenshin"? :lol: Your logic makes no sense. And Nobuhiro Watsuki himself approved the name. If the creator of a series doesn't have a problem with something then neither should you. That's about as silly as you can get. Hell, back to the earlier point, if he didn't want Kenshin to be identified as a samurai then he simply wouldn't have allowed them to choose that particular name, and could've then worked with them on it. Instead, they came to him with "Samurai X" and he said yeah go right ahead, that's perfect. The subtitle of the series is also "Wandering Samurai".

Wouldn't say the show failled in America at all. It received a total of 3 seasons, had high ratings, and earned great reviews. That's not what I call a failure. Whether or not you think English Dubbing is good is entirely a matter of opinion, so I see no reason to debate about it. The filler arcs they threw in however were widely believed to be a drop in quality, which Nobuhiro agreed with, stating that while he liked the first, he couldn't stand the next two, which then directly led to it being discountinued because those were the ones that received the worst ratings. The voice acting didn't change. The animation didn't change. The quality of the writing changed, taking a major plummet, so the show was cancelled/shortened from its intended length. You literally see this all the time with anime and it's as simple as that. In its prime, the show was doing just fine and competing capablly with every other anime that Toonami featured. The show also had to be "dumbed down" because it was being shown to children in America and that level of violence in a children's tv show is generally not socially accepted. Had that violence been left in then realize that the show never would've been aired at all. This is again something you see with damn near every anime that appears on American television. Dragon Ball Z, Yu Yu Hakusho, Gundam, Ruroni Kenshin, etc. They all do it. If that was the reason for shows failing then 1)It would have been noted and corrected by now by the people creating these shows and 2)you wouldn't have any anime becoming popular in America. Despite that, all the series I just mentoned? Which had the issue of censoring/changing scenes to reduce the violence? Are widely viewed as classics in both America and Japan. As to why a show fails that's something we all have to deduce for ourselves, since its not as if studios regularly release their reasons for cancelling soemthing. However, i'll always argue that its not an accident that the series ended after they stopped adapting the original storylines and began creating new ones, which go to any fansite and you will find them to be considered the worst arcs of the series.

And your copy of the OVA isn't the release for the American market, hence it has the Japanese name.

u still wrong though lol

and u wasted ur whole essay writing a bunch of inaccurate statements.

kenshin's master did not train him to become a samurai. hiko seijuro trained him in the art of kenjutsu. kenjutsu is art of killing someone with a sword. kill life to save another. their style is called hiten mitsurugi ryu. it has nothing to do with becoming a samurai. swordsmanship does not equate samurai nobility. hiko trained kenshin to be independent and neutral, to have a free sword. free from control of powerful govt officials, whether it be the tokugawa shogunate or the imperialist loyal to the emperor. very much unlike a samurai who serves the shogun. not all japanese warriors that wield a katana are samurais.

hitokiri battousai / himura kenshin's character is loosely based on kawakami gensai. gensai's physical attributes and fighting style were an inspiration for kenshin's character. other than that the two have more differences than similarities; gensai was a samurai. kenshin is not. gensai was born into a samurai family and educated as such. kenshin is not a samurai, as he was sold into slavery at a young age when his parents died before being rescued by hiko seijuro. gensai served as a military officer. kenshin did not... he became a wanderer. gensai was executed by the government. kenshin marries kaoru and have a child, kenji. kenshin passes down his sakabatou to myojin yahiko (a samurai descendant).

sony renamed the anime into samurai x for its north american market because sony assumed that its viewers do not know what a rourouni is, and rightfully so. most americans are not knowledgeable of japanese history and culture, and more so its language. once its viewers see a japanese character with a japanese sword... they think, "oh he's a samurai!" from a maketing standpoint it makes sense to rename the show. the american audience is more familiar with samurai than rurouni. sony used "samurai x" not because kenshin is a samurai, but because its marketable for the american demographic. watsuki was nothing to do with renaming the show. that's solely on sony's part.

please show where watsuki endorses and approves of sony changing rurouni kenshin to samurai x. i honestly want to see this because i have not come across this nor remember it happening.

samurai x: wandering samurai is a gross misrepresentation of the manga and anime. this is sony ruining a franchise.

the true title is Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Kenkaku Romantan. that translate to Rurouni Kenshinn: Meiji Swordsman Romantic Story.

you previously claimed...
There is not a single version of them officially licensed as "Ruroni Kenshin".

countered with my own blu ray of the OVA. in it's true original form. you can't get any more official than that.

i can also get a physical copy of the U.S. version of the tv series season 1-3 that have Rurouni Kenshin in the title, just for your satisfaction.

you also claim that kenshin is mentioned as a samurai in the manga. so please provide where you're getting this information from. source please.

Last edited:
I loved akame ga kill (still do) esdeath is my fav female villian now of all time.

Deadman wonderland was great. Didnt see the anime but heard it kept pretty true.
I would also say air gear and tenjo tenge (which are in my top 5 mangas of all time) shin anjo onshii.
Veritas

Funny you mention veritas. I was trying to finsih the last 4 chapters, since id put the manga on hold for almost 4 years.

To the guy above, yeah Kenshin was a swordsman not a true samurai. It's the same as somebody waiting a knight to a warrior that uses a sword and wears armor. Technically it's not correct, but the average person wouldn't really care

Anyways, Dimension W has to have the weirdest op this season. Random *** dance from a no nonsense character

Last edited:
Back in the day I was always drawing DBZ characters.
tracing for me.
embarassed.gif

9780545001359-us.jpg

One piece is way past lit this week every chapter this whole arc is on a upwards trajectory

Last edited:
Deadman Wonderland still on Netflix? Gon watch that after i finish Samurai Champloo. Started it again after leaving it for awhile lol

Zoro to wano kuni and luffy after big Mom? That would be epic af :pimp:
Still not sure if it's kaido & the shogun or if he is the shogun either way his whole crew is vicious & we've only seen 1/3 of his main trio

Deadman Wonderland still on Netflix? Gon watch that after i finish Samurai Champloo. Started it again after leaving it for awhile lol
Yeah it's on there but it's a shame we havent got a second season

So many feels in Erased last week. Satoru's mom needs to smack Kayo's mom.

Satoru needs to see who that rape / murder / kidnap kit backpack belongs too.

one piece is that manga!

love its dynamic stories that doesnt just revolve around the main characters
Brah I need to see
Jack vs Zoro
Kaido vs Kidd, Apoo & Hawkins
Blackbeard vs Dragon/Sabo (Sabo waiting for that boy!!!!)
Vinsmoke Sanji vs Capone & or Killer (I know thats his 2nd bro) :smokin

Last edited:
looks like a whole pirate crew is needed to have a chance against kaido

one on one kaido straight up washes eustass kid

Back
Top Bottom