THE OFFICIAL AIR MAX 1 THREAD

Had to UNDS for my bday
IMG_0406.JPG

too much emphasis and credit is given to "hype". things arent the way they used to be in the early 2000s and beyond. the hype machine isnt as effective as it used to be. and there is really minimal benefit to allowing demand to far exceed supply in the name of free marketing. allowing demand to slightly exceed supply? yes.

nowadays with social media and so many pages dedicated to pics of pop sneakers and culture etc, the hype creates itself no matter what supply vs. demand is.

IMO of course
Disagree completely. Hype is at an all time high bc everyone wants to stunt on social media. Everyone knows what's limited and everyone wants to flex.

Disagree completely. Hype is at an all time high bc everyone wants to stunt on social media. Everyone knows what's limited and everyone wants to flex.

In theory, you're saying the same thing that I am.

In the early 2000s before all this social media stuff was out, Nike used the limited hype game as an exchange for free marketing and used that method to increase sales across the board.

Now, social media does that work for you. Limited or not limited, like you said... "Hype is at an all time high bc everyone wants to stunt on social media."

I don't disagree with you at all on that. I disagree with you on the methods effectiveness due to the presence of social media.

Social media has created publicity and marketing in exchange for a useless currency called "likes". That is the hype machine, so there's no need to play that same game.

To simplify things, all I'm saying is, as it specifically relates to the OG colorways of the air max 1 released thru amd is:

To release OG GR colorways in limited quantities in the name of old school hypebeast style marketing is useless. Social media does that marketing for you for free regardless of that quantity you put out anyway.

Let collabs/special colorways cook if you still believe in that marketing technique.

To release the OG colorways in limited quantities is like Nike releasing a white on white af1 in limited quantity after a "hypothetical" long hiatus. Imo

In theory, you're saying the same thing that I am.

In the early 2000s before all this social media stuff was out, Nike used the limited hype game as an exchange for free marketing and used that method to increase sales across the board.

Now, social media does that work for you. Limited or not limited, like you said... "Hype is at an all time high bc everyone wants to stunt on social media."

I don't disagree with you at all on that. I disagree with you on the methods effectiveness due to the presence of social media.

Social media has created publicity and marketing in exchange for a useless currency called "likes". That is the hype machine, so there's no need to play that same game.

To simplify things, all I'm saying is, as it specifically relates to the OG colorways of the air max 1 released thru amd is:

To release OG GR colorways in limited quantities in the name of old school hypebeast style marketing is useless. Social media does that marketing for you for free regardless of that quantity you put out anyway.

Let collabs/special colorways cook if you still believe in that marketing technique.

To release the OG colorways in limited quantities is like Nike releasing a white on white af1 in limited quantity after a "hypothetical" long hiatus. Imo
If Nike had made 2 million og reds and Elephants, do you think they would have been nearly as coveted? Hell no. That's the point. GR's don't get likes on ig. Going small batch brought hype back to the silhouette. It worked exactly like Nike wanted it to.

If Nike had made 2 million og reds and Elephants, do you think they would have been nearly as coveted? Hell no. That's the point. GR's don't get likes on ig. Going small batch brought hype back to the silhouette. It worked exactly like Nike wanted it to.

Nipsey3000 Nipsey3000 does have a point but I'm inclined to agree with you here. Given all the hooplah surrounding the remastered shape, they needed to do something to really generate the buzz around that change.
Think about how Nike executed the SB 97 retro. Started SUPER limited on a shoe that was hitting outlets in the US, frustrated the hell out of everyone while making people really covet the shoe. And we're not just talking collectors and og airmax heads. We're talking just your average joe or people who really didn't care for 97s.

Then they flooded the market and you have all the stock selling out and people jumping on net new CWs because they either missed out or couldn't get enough.

GRs get love on iG every day homie.

you might not be checking for them. but they get love.

the MC flyknit racer is as general as it gets, most vapormax too and they get love. if there's a dope looking shoe out, theres a page with 35k plus followers showing love.

justification of limited quanities in the name of marketing is the mark of the hypebeast.

repent and deny your flesh

GRs get love on iG every day homie.

you might not be checking for them. but they get love.

the MC flyknit racer is as general as it gets, most vapormax too and they get love. if there's a dope looking shoe out, theres a page with 35k plus followers showing love.

justification of limited quanities in the name of marketing is the mark of the hypebeast.

repent and deny your flesh
lol come on man. People flex with small batch. You're off your rocker of you think otherwise. People flex with Kaws AJ4 over cement 4s. Og reds over Berrys. People that have never owned an AM90 will be killing themselves to get the off white 90. Same with the prestos. It wouldn't be that way if they made 2 million of them. It's just the way it is.

It appears that Nike removed the indigo options on Nike ID. Wanted to make one more because I wasn't a fan of how my nubuck pair turned out and wanted to change the soles on my denim pair.

It appears that Nike removed the indigo options on Nike ID. Wanted to make one more because I wasn't a fan of how my nubuck pair turned out and wanted to change the soles on my denim pair.
I figured they would be removing those options since they went on sale. Glad I ordered my pair

So a restock on September 21st...autumn starts September 22nd...end of summer, I guess you guys were right.

Where the atmos restock at though?

That sucks. Hopefully they come back, because I had a pair in my cart. I was debating on going white or sail for the midsole and eyelets. Whoops!

I made mine with the sail midsole and eyelets and gum sole lol

I also had gum soles chosen. Have any pics? I was going to compare my Sail Pinnacles today to give myself an idea. Went on to NDC and it removed the "something" from my cart (didn't read it in time), and figured out it it was the Indigos, both AM1 and 90s.

Last edited:
lol come on man. People flex with small batch. You're off your rocker of you think otherwise. People flex with Kaws AJ4 over cement 4s. Og reds over Berrys. People that have never owned an AM90 will be killing themselves to get the off white 90. Same with the prestos. It wouldn't be that way if they made 2 million of them. It's just the way it is.

i never debated the fact that people mess with covet limited releases over general releases. that has always been the case in the sneaker game.

i also never mentioned anything about 2 million pairs. that was you.

to assume that people that werent fans of the air max 90, will then kill themselves for the off white, strike out, then buy a GR release air max 90 due to the hype brought on by the off white is silly.

again...

if you create a supply that is still exceeded by demand, you still get the bang for your buck as far as free marketing goes. to make 25-50k pairs of a shoe that has a consumer base of maybe 200-500k minus resellers is just plain dumb. especially when you can make 100-125k pairs and get the same results

the space jam 11 was probably produced in the 1-2m pair range and every pair sold and everyone was still talking about it on social media, so the "hype" was still there.

same thing will happen this holiday season with both pairs of 11s, which are being talked about now on social media as we speak.

Nipsey3000 Nipsey3000 does have a point but I'm inclined to agree with you here. Given all the hooplah surrounding the remastered shape, they needed to do something to really generate the buzz around that change.
Think about how Nike executed the SB 97 retro. Started SUPER limited on a shoe that was hitting outlets in the US, frustrated the hell out of everyone while making people really covet the shoe. And we're not just talking collectors and og airmax heads. We're talking just your average joe or people who really didn't care for 97s.

Then they flooded the market and you have all the stock selling out and people jumping on net new CWs because they either missed out or couldn't get enough.

the effect of hype? what is defined as limited? what is the effect of making a shoe limited? how much awareness and profit are truly generated from making a limited shoe?

these are all questions that really none of us can answer. right?

my point is that the hype model that was so successful in the early 2000s doesnt really apply today because social media is so strong. iG is the hype machine. i do agree that there needs to be collabs, limited releases etc etc to help that strategy move. but its effectiveness isnt anywhere near what it used to be.

AMD itself had enough limited releases to drive awareness about the air max 1 shape change, new model releases (vapormax) or any other reason that you wanna insert to justify.

to then make the OGs super limited, which everyone can agree is basically the air force one white/white of the air max 1 line (in a sense)...was just dumb.

thats never to say that they should have produced 2 million pairs. just that they could have made more and still kept the feeling of exclusivity because demad still exceeded supply.

i for one never believed that anyone is dumb enough to have hype created by a shoe (lets say the off white air max 90) then, when they strike out turn around and settle for a general release air max 90. consumers are smarter than that.

average joes that were never checking for sneakers in the first place arent gonna magically be checking for sneakers just because they miss out on a shoe that caught their eye on social media. they will go back to the regularly scheduled program of not checking for sneakers.

i never debated the fact that people mess with covet limited releases over general releases. that has always been the case in the sneaker game.

i also never mentioned anything about 2 million pairs. that was you.

to assume that people that werent fans of the air max 90, will then kill themselves for the off white, strike out, then buy a GR release air max 90 due to the hype brought on by the off white is silly.

again...

if you create a supply that is still exceeded by demand, you still get the bang for your buck as far as free marketing goes. to make 25-50k pairs of a shoe that has a consumer base of maybe 200-500k minus resellers is just plain dumb. especially when you can make 100-125k pairs and get the same results

the space jam 11 was probably produced in the 1-2m pair range and every pair sold and everyone was still talking about it on social media, so the "hype" was still there.

same thing will happen this holiday season with both pairs of 11s, which are being talked about now on social media as we speak.
I'll call Nike, Adidas, Nintendo and every other company that uses small batch to create hype and let them know they have it all wrong. I'm sure they'll call and hire you asap to take over their marketing. Congrats man.

I'll call Nike, Adidas, Nintendo and every other company that uses small batch to create hype and let them know they have it all wrong. I'm sure they'll call and hire you asap to take over their marketing. Congrats man.

you're still out of context and off topic with the whole point i was trying to make. either way, agree to disagree and take this "like" as a parting gift.

you're still out of context and off topic with the whole point i was trying to make. either way, agree to disagree and take this "like" as a parting gift.
I'm just saying a lot of people that are paid a lot of money for a lot of companies believe in the small batch theory to create hype. I think they are right. You think they are wrong. Not sure what else to say.

I'm just saying a lot of people that are paid a lot of money for a lot of companies believe in the small batch theory to create hype. I think they are right. You think they are wrong. Not sure what else to say.

i never said they were wrong.

i just dont thing the OG colorways needed to be a part of that small batch.

and the limited marketing game isnt as effective as it used to be due to social media. thats all

Back
Top Bottom