The Official Air Jordan 1 Retro Blk/Red "BANNED" Sept 3 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

It makes no sense if you're viewing this release in isolation. It makes absolute sense when you're thinking bigger picture. Hype allows Nike and JB to sell other shoes and apparel.

Look at adidas and Kayne. Without Ye, they wouldn't be selling out on NMD's and UB's.
I get what youre saying but the B/red 1s have been hyped for a while.  Nike doesnt need hype for the Bred 1's.  

I get what youre saying but the B/red 1s have been hyped for a while.  Nike doesnt need hype for the Bred 1's.  
stop lying. Bred 1s weren't hyped when they dropped in 2008, 2009; they sat. Don't give me that, "they didn't have Nike air" excuse because the hyped Jordan's in 2008-09 still sold out in a day if the hype was truly there. Hype is in the its zenith now after spiking in 2013. Banned pair was only hyped because it was limited add had high resell. True hype transcends resell; when the hype extends beyond the resell market into mainstream fashion, then you know hype is truly real outside of the reseller community

Last edited:
stop lying. Bred 1s weren't hyped when they dropped in 2008, 2009; they sat. Don't give me that, "they didn't have Nike air" excuse because the hyped Jordan's in 2008 still sold out in a day if the hype was truly there. Hype is in the its zenith now after spiking in 2013. Banned pair was only hyped because it was limited add had high resell. True hype transcends resell; when the hype extends beyond the resell market into mainstream fashion, then you know hype is truly real outside of the reseller community
Yeah growing up in Brooklyn I remember when 1s were less respectable then having a pair of 11s or 12s, 7s  3s and so on. Im still shocked at how all of a sudden 1s are so popular.

stop lying. Bred 1s weren't hyped when they dropped in 2008, 2009; they sat. Don't give me that, "they didn't have Nike air" excuse because the hyped Jordan's in 2008 still sold out in a day if the hype was truly there. Hype is in the its zenith now after spiking in 2013. Banned pair was only hyped because it was limited add had high resell. True hype transcends resell; when the hype extends beyond the resell market into mainstream fashion, then you know hype is truly real outside of the reseller community
Yeah growing up in Brooklyn I remember when 1s were less respectable then having a pair of 11s or 12s, 7s  3s and so on. Im still shocked at how all of a sudden 1s are so popular.

slim jeans have made I's more appealing in this era..

i remember when da 1994 retro Jordan I & da 99' inaugural retro of Nike Dunks were on sale for 19.99 bucks...no one wanted either...cats called em clown shoes.

I believe that the cyber Mondays, uncs, chocagos, Lettermans and Metallics had the same numbers but varying hype. Hype for Chicago's is more than double each of the aforementioned releases which is why the sold the fastest. I believe the breds will follow suit regardless of what we want

This. The numbers haven't necessarily changed just the interest

I believe that the cyber Mondays, uncs, chocagos, Lettermans and Metallics had the same numbers but varying hype. Hype for Chicago's is more than double each of the aforementioned releases which is why the sold the fastest. I believe the breds will follow suit regardless of what we want

Agree with all of this

Always had been a huge fan of 1's growing up even when they were dissed by the masses because I was so obsessed with the simplicity of of the Kilgore and Moore designs of the 80's. All of Nike's basketball shoes looked exactly the same sans very minimal differences. What really drew me into Air Jordan 1's was my obsession with AF1's during the jewel swoosh era. The fact that Michael Jordan's first show was so simplistic and was essentially a custom Nike Dunk/Terminator/Air Force 1 for Michael Jordan was so dope to me. It's one of those sneakers that don't illicit a lot of attention unlike an Air Jordan 3, 4, 11,13. Quick glance and it's "just a pair of Nike's" as I've gotten much older, that thought has been the overarching reason why I've stayed obsessed with them. To the untrained eye they're nothing more, but to those that know...they're THE Air Jordan.

its crazy how after the jordan 1's the next jordans never had a swoosh on its side. 

when you look at all the kobe's and lebrons, they all have that huge swoosh on its side. every one of them. 

its like after the jordan 1, #'d jordans didnt even need the swoosh. kinda wish more of them did, but i guess thats what makes it unique. 

hope that makes sense...

slim jeans have made I's more appealing in this era..

i remember when da 1994 retro Jordan I & da 99' inaugural retro of Nike Dunks were on sale for 19.99 bucks...no one wanted either...cats called em clown shoes.
I gotta give you props man. After all these years you're not letting the da go. That takes a lot of effort.

its crazy how after the jordan 1's the next jordans never had a swoosh on its side. 

when you look at all the kobe's and lebrons, they all have that huge swoosh on its side. every one of them. 

its like after the jordan 1, #'d jordans didnt even need the swoosh. kinda wish more of them did, but i guess thats what makes it unique. 

hope that makes sense...
What are you talking about?

People talking about the Chicago and SBB hype in 2015 seem to be forgetting that a big reason for the price and hype was that NDC didn't release them online on their respective release days.  Preorders for Chicagos were like 300 the day before the release.  Then the delayed tweet from nike's twitter came out and everyone was jumping on and the price jumped.  If i recall correctly, Nike did a draw later on for the chicagos but the market had already decided where the hype was with them and they were tough to get through the draw.   SBBs never released on NDC at all.  I think the botched releases of those has at least a little to do with where those sit on the "hype scale" of 1s.

Im just glad 1's are back to "true form". Remember when most proper releases were mids? Hell, still gr pairs come out looking [emoji]128169[/emoji][emoji]128562[/emoji][emoji]128565[/emoji][emoji]128169[/emoji]

Dont know what people are talking about but the "hype" referring to Chi and Sbbs is nothing compared to 2013.

Im just glad 1's are back to "true form". Remember when most proper releases were mids? Hell, still gr pairs come out looking [emoji]128169[/emoji][emoji]128562[/emoji][emoji]128565[/emoji][emoji]128169[/emoji]
Exactly. Most dont even know how that felt.

Last edited:
After the original, Nike basically botched every retro of the Bred 1 since. Obviously someones idea of a retro could be different but, the devil is in the details.

I'm glad they got rid of the "phats". Bought a pair during my rookie years. It was a nice cw. But after i realized I ended up selling them. Some mids come in dope cw's tho that should be released as og highs

Last edited:
stop lying. Bred 1s weren't hyped when they dropped in 2008, 2009; they sat. Don't give me that, "they didn't have Nike air" excuse because the hyped Jordan's in 2008-09 still sold out in a day if the hype was truly there. Hype is in the its zenith now after spiking in 2013. Banned pair was only hyped because it was limited add had high resell. True hype transcends resell; when the hype extends beyond the resell market into mainstream fashion, then you know hype is truly real outside of the reseller community

I was on NT when those dropped. They weren't '13 level hype but by no means were they not sought after. They dropped a few strap Jordan 1s and the B/Red one sold out quick around these parts. Strap and all. Same for the DMPs, even with another shoe.

2001s were always hot and expensive. $300 back then was high market value back then for a sneaker, and people were always gunning for B/Reds to my memory.

But yes it was at its peak in 2013.

I was the biggest doubter of the "remaster" shtick than anyone I'm sure, haven't given **** one since I can't remember on retros, my friend got the UNC remaster and once I saw them/handled in person I was sold in the sense of "cannot believe this is a retro, a JB retro can't believe what I'm seeing/holding" for myself....

from what has been said I have no doubt 2013 was a nightmare struggle personally just didn't care at that time about shiny, plastic retros that I auto assumed was the norm from that 2010 era and on

LOL JB would never release these as a massive GR knowing these are one of the most sought after CW for 1's. They'd make $$$ but lose hype.

I believe the opposite is true. These not gonna be J11 Christmas numbers but they will be more than other 1 colorways.

I believe people that really want to cop will be able to cop. These aren't gonna be SBB limited.

I believe the opposite is true. These not gonna be J11 Christmas numbers but they will be more than other 1 colorways.

I believe people that really want to cop will be able to cop. These aren't gonna be SBB limited.
Agreed. Although resellers & demand are really gonna make the whole launch experience still feel like SBB limited or worse. 

Last edited:

Agreed. Although resellers & demand are really gonna make the whole launch experience still feel like SBB limited or worse. 
This! They could produce >400k and people could have to put in leg work and still strike out easily.
Dont know what people are talking about but the "hype" referring to Chi and Sbbs is nothing compared to 2013.
True, but presale was definitely higher for Chi's and Sbb's. Especially Sbb's because people were hungry after they stuck out on Chi's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom