The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Cannonier, Imavov, Reyes, Rosas on NOW

DC was running through dudes at HW not so long ago. He definitely could have made his way to a title shot but he didn't want to fight Cain.

Jon was the first person to impose himself on DC so i believe he would fair very well at HW.

The landscape in that division hasn't changed much in recent years. Everyone at the top of the division is aging and accumulating mileage so it's the perfect storm for him to move up soon and become a 2 division champion.

Ehhh....Difficult to make that parallel just because Jones beat Cormier and Cormier did well at HW.

IMO Cormier seemed to be a more effective wrestler at HW. Not to say he's inept or anything at 205 as he seems to have a bit more endurance. So there's a tradeoff.

My point is that Jones won't really have the size advantage he's been able to exploit at 205. We don't know how he'll look at HW, but IMO he has a slight frame and his endurance might take a hit if he packs on mass.

Plus guys just flat-out hit harder at HW. I believe anyone, regardless of ability will eventually take an L at HW for that reason alone. It's just the nature of the division. Not saying that he can't move up and be successful, my argument was more about whether or not he eventually tastes defeat at HW which I believe he will.

Last edited:
everyone looses in this game.

jones will loose eventually, but the run he has made up until now is untouchable so it wont really effect his legend when he finally does.

Like already looking back on Conors run.....very meh, aldo was his crown jewel.

Rhonda had a pretty solid run, not so much the competition but how she destroyed them.

RDA is on an absolute tear right now.

Aldo was on one of the best runs in MMA

Robbie been on a impressive AF run

DJ's run is impressive

Andy's run was legedary

This game all about runs.

Conor's run isn't all that impressive to me. Mendes on short notice. Aldo of course was classic but other than that...

That doesn't mean that Conor's run is horrible by any means. I don't think anyone thinks of his run as legendary or anything 

Also, DC was so effective at HW because he was always quicker. Just like Cain

Last edited:
I'm a Jones fan but I was never one of those dudes that was sure he'd run through the heavyweight division. Heavyweight is probably as terrible as its ever been now though so that definitely makes it easier, but still.

At this point I don't bet against the guy, but no knockout power in a division where anybody can put you out with the right shot is not exactly the recipe for success. He'd prob have to be a Fitch or GSP type grinder to have the most success, because I don't think he can just stand toe to toe and get hit the way he gets hit at lhw without taking an L IMO. He's not really the slickest guy standing up.

I actually really wanna see Bones vs Johnson just to see how he stands up to a dude that can throw real heavy shots, or how his strategy might change.

there's some big guys in the heavy weight division that he'd need to clean out. even jones said he wasnt trying to go up agains the rothwells/hunts/big foots.

Yeah man, Jones vs. Rothwell or Hunt is basically one wrong move and it's lights out. Even a dude like Stipe as well.

I think Fedor had the perfect giant killer style because of his power and his sambo/submission game, and he was actually really slick on his feet in his prime days, and really quick in scrambles too, dude was an animal. And he had a chin in his prime. Cormier reminded me of Fedor in a way, with less power and and not as strong of a submission game, not quite as quick or slick either, but better wrestling though.

Jones tho, as good as he is at light heavy, I don't feel like his style translates as well up at heavyweight.

fedor's ko of arlovski at affliction still makes me sad. Was such a sick ko though. It's a crime against mma that he wasted good years avoiding signing with the ufc and even now.

That's cool. Must've been crazy to be there in person and see it. Crazy how big that tshirt company was that they could have their own event.

It was my first and only MMA event.. I need to go to the LA show 

Hector Lombard moving back up to 185 due to the IV ban. He said is body wouldn't respond due to the cut

I was at the Melbourne event when Holm beat Rousey. Really puts into perspective 90% of crowds who go to large, hyped up events are just casual fans 

Zingano was saying she had an epic announcement about her next opponent, people were guessing cyborg. It not being her is probably for the best. Another bad loss and some brain damage would not be good for her.

Back
Top Bottom