The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Cannonier, Imavov, Reyes, Rosas on NOW

But if the other person is a celebrity boxer…is it bad faith?

Has he said he’s trying to challenge for a title? It seems like he’s got two angles: Promoter. And fighter.

Why doesn’t he fight Cesar Chavez since he beat Anderson? I think the Diaz is a bad look because of Diaz’s weight class, and age. Nate probably going to give up 20 lbs on fight night.

But if the other person is a celebrity boxer…is it bad faith?

Has he said he’s trying to challenge for a title? It seems like he’s got two angles: Promoter. And fighter.

Why doesn’t he fight Cesar Chavez since he beat Anderson? I think the Diaz is a bad look because of Diaz’s weight class, and age. Nate probably going to give up 20 lbs on fight night.
He's coining himself a boxer and wants to be taken seriously so fighting a celeb boxer is trash too imo. Fight a guy that coins himself a boxer too. Chavez Jr. hasn't been serious about fighting in so long. If he were to fight Rahman Jr. (without the insane requirements), I would have thought that made sense. I will admit that he looks drastically better than when he first started but fighting elders and retired MMA guys makes 0 sense to me.

^^^He seems to have a good trainer. He posted a clip from when he first started. Night/Day. Is he comparable to a pro boxer, similar age?

I don’t know. I can’t be mad that a pro boxer is fighting cans/less challenging opponents his first six to eight fights. He’ll run out of MMA fighters. Outside of Diaz, who else is there (Uriah Hall)? GSP?

I actually think he and his brother would make better MMA fighters with their wrestling backgrounds. But boxing is a bigger bag.

I’m not saying you should be impressed with Jake Paul but I have to admit, for me his boxing matches have proved a lot of unknowns

Boxing is obviously different from mma but I had definitely believed a guy like woodley, washed or not, undersized or not would be able to handle Paul in a ring

Same with an old Anderson silva

For Paul to beat them like that I definitely was surprised. For me that’s the whole point of his matches, to prove that a regular YouTuber could train and beat other fighters from different combat sports disciplines. I mean woodley and Anderson have been in many fist fights and training for many years. Maybe not pure boxing but still elements

I’m not gonna take any credit away from Paul’s wins

But I guess that’s the argument.

He’s cherry picking, stacking the deck in his favor.

His last four opponents have been older than 40 years old. Outside of their physical primes. Granted Silva and Woodley showed up in good shape.

Not saying Askren, Woodley, or Silva aren’t MMA fighters (all former champs), who had to train in stand up and striking. But it’s totally different. Just like kick boxing…like Izzy says is different than MMA.

But it’s not the same as a young kid (in his physical prime) and has been strictly training with a world class trainer and sparring partners. I think that’s why folks are saying he should fight a Fury or other up and coming fighter. Could he do what he did to a 20 year old Golden Gloves fighter? 🤷🏽‍♂️

You can’t deny the work he’s put in the last four years. He’s got access to the best training, nutrition, medicine, etc. His desire.

Luke Thomas said, with the 10-month break, Paul has definitely shown improvement in his game. He knows how to feint, tangle up, got a good jab, seems to have decent chin, etc.

There's a reason he's not shooting to make any matches with an established boxer. As mentioned before, he's gotten better but I need to see how he does against an actual boxer. That's my gripe.

But I guess that’s the argument.

He’s cherry picking, stacking the deck in his favor.

His last four opponents have been older than 40 years old. Outside of their physical primes. Granted Silva and Woodley showed up in good shape.

Not saying Askren, Woodley, or Silva aren’t MMA fighters (all former champs), who had to train in stand up and striking. But it’s totally different. Just like kick boxing…like Izzy says is different than MMA.

But it’s not the same as a young kid (in his physical prime) and has been strictly training with a world class trainer and sparring partners. I think that’s why folks are saying he should fight a Fury or other up and coming fighter. Could he do what he did to a 20 year old Golden Gloves fighter? 🤷🏽‍♂️

You can’t deny the work he’s put in the last four years. He’s got access to the best training, nutrition, medicine, etc. His desire.

Luke Thomas said, with the 10-month break, Paul has definitely shown improvement in his game. He knows how to feint, tangle up, got a good jab, seems to have decent chin, etc.
There's a reason he's not shooting to make any matches with an established boxer. As mentioned before, he's gotten better but I need to see how he does against an actual boxer. That's my gripe.

Well, obviously lol

He's not going to go out there and match himself up with a real boxer out of the gates. There's no intrigue there

That's exactly why he's starting with MMA guys. They're still trained in boxing but if you or the general public was assuming Paul would beat these MMA guys, ok. I guess I didn't and I felt like it was intriguing to watch and see what happens

He's slowly building towards more and more difficult competition

If he goes backwards then sure, I get criticizing him

This was never meant to be taken seriously, so you shouldn't look at it though that lens. However I'd be lying to myself if I said Paul should have definitely beat these guys. He is proving me wrong in that regard

Well, obviously lol

He's not going to go out there and match himself up with a real boxer out of the gates. There's no intrigue there

That's exactly why he's starting with MMA guys. They're still trained in boxing but if you or the general public was assuming Paul would beat these MMA guys, ok. I guess I didn't and I felt like it was intriguing to watch and see what happens

He's slowly building towards more and more difficult competition

If he goes backwards then sure, I get criticizing him

This was never meant to be taken seriously, so you shouldn't look at it though that lens. However I'd be lying to myself if I said Paul should have definitely beat these guys. He is proving me wrong in that regard
lol, starting with MMA and old guys is such a weird flex but the boxing game is effed...has been forever. These guys come up in the ranks by making highlight reels with people that shouldn't even be licensed to fight. Personally, I don't take it serious but every time this guy wins, there's some argument to take him seriously as if he accomplished something spectacular lol. Yeah beating an MMA legend is a move but factor in age and it borders on elder abuse.

He knows he likely won't ever get to fight prime Canelo (or even near prime probably) so why not call him out as it would be a potential life changing payday for him. He won't fight other established boxers unless they have a big name and he knows the payoff would be massive.

I was also hoping Silva would put his lights out but this isn't the Anderson in his 30s K.O.'ing all comers anymore. Silva is an aging legend with less than a handful of pro boxing matches so I get why Paul chose to fight him.

A fight against Nate would be massive draw-wise and can't say I wouldn't be a little excited to see how it would play out. Granted Paul would have the overwhelming size advantage though. The Paul-Silva fight was at 186 so even fighting at 175 lbs for Paul is probably unrealistic. A catchweight close to 180 seems more likely.

I get why Paul has had the success with fighting these MMA guys and if it bring eyeballs + dollars he's going to continue with them or boxers who don't have tons of experience but some kind of name to make the matchup interesting (I.E. Fury or Rahim Jr that were scheduled).

lol, starting with MMA and old guys is such a weird flex but the boxing game is effed...has been forever. These guys come up in the ranks by making highlight reels with people that shouldn't even be licensed to fight. Personally, I don't take it serious but every time this guy wins, there's some argument to take him seriously as if he accomplished something spectacular lol. Yeah beating an MMA legend is a move but factor in age and it borders on elder abuse.
I don't know which credible or intelligent people are saying he's accomplishing something spectacular lol but if that's going on then they aren't credible or intelligent after all :lol:

I hope he keeps fighting MMA guys with more and more actual boxing skill, and of course get younger and younger

Right now he's simply passing tests. Can't just go straight for prime boxing centric MMA guys because most likely those prime MMA guys are under contract with their promotion

Even Diaz, as has been said, that wouldn't exactly be a fair fight now that we've seen what Jake can do. But the whole point is: just last year would anyone have said this? Would anyone have favored Paul to beat Nate in boxing? I don't think many would say that even with the size, age difference

Get GSP in there, f it lol

I'm looking forward to see how Robocop does in his bout against Tavares, will be a good test to see if he's ready for some guys around top 10 level.
You know who's coming at 185: Ikram Aliskerov

185 will be fun in a few years with him, Nickel and Chimaev

Also, they need to get Aliaskhab Khizriev a fight! He's already 32 years old. What is going on with dude? Come on Dana

I fully believe Aliskerov, Nickel and Kizriev would give Izzy all he could handle. I truly do

Morning Kombat says they want Allen to fight Max or T City

Imo that is absolutely idiotic

If the UFC wants to have another UK champ, they shouldn't make Allen fight anyone other than Yair for the Interim or Volk

If you want to make Yair v Emmett, I get it. But yeah, I don't think it's necessary at all for Allen to fight someone like Max who could very well beat him and take away your contender

He actually almost finished tj in that first fight. TJ was saved by the bell if i remember correctly

Yup...so damn close. I do think if Cody won that TJ would have gotten the belt in the long run.

Sad to say these guys are at the end of their careers. Like these guys were at the top and either from losing and/or cheating, they have never been the same. I am down for one more fight if the loser has to retire afterwards.

Morning Kombat says they want Allen to fight Max or T City

Imo that is absolutely idiotic

If the UFC wants to have another UK champ, they shouldn't make Allen fight anyone other than Yair for the Interim or Volk

If you want to make Yair v Emmett, I get it. But yeah, I don't think it's necessary at all for Allen to fight someone like Max who could very well beat him and take away your contender
So fight someone who is injured? And someone who can knock out anothe contender? And then if Max wins, then what? Volk 4? Lol. Nah.

Allen should fight Yair or Emmett. Ask Yair first. He refuses, give it to Emmett. Put it as the co main on the UK card.

I'm also out on Arnold potentially fighting Max or T-City but if Volk doesn't fight for the LW title until the Perth card or later in 23' they likely make a #1 contender or interim match and he may not be in the cards for it. Also I don't think he would just sit around for next crack if that did happen so if they make Yair/Emmett the next guys that make sense to fight him are Max or T-City. Allen wouldn't have a strong case having just beat Kattar the way he did and his Hooker win is aging worse and worse. Not his fault by any means but this is the fight game we are talking about.

I feel like Dana has issues with Yair and Emmett

So that bodes well for Allen, who seems like an easy going negotiating person and who has the UK market

I also have become a big fan of MK and consider myself a big MMA fan and totally forgot about the Bellator 287 card this past weekend. I am looking forward to the next three cards they have but to have a card with basically no name value where big fans like myself didn't know about is a terrible look (I also don't have Showtime tbf) but still if they can't draw well in the next few cards then who knows what their future is like if/when Paramount+ and Showtime join forces (rumours of a full on merger have been swirling recently).

Max has nothing left at 145. I dont see him fighting at FW again, tbh. He'd just be in a loop of taking out contenders while hoping Volk loses to one at the same time. Makes no sense. He's pretty much entering the fun/money fight stage of his career now and just about all of them are at LW.

I hope Max goes to 155 but who knows what he's thinking. I could also just see him being ok with 145 like how Whittaker seems ok to just stay at 185. They just have that "it's all good" attitude and outlook on life

Far as T-City, of course him vs Allen would be a great fight. I just think it's idiotic to match them up. Completely unnecessary

T-City's health is also unknown. Whenever he returns I think he should get the loser of Topuria vs Mitchell. If T-City can't go then let Giga fight the loser

Back
Top Bottom