The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Cannonier, Imavov, Reyes, Rosas on NOW

Aljo did a Miz level heel turn with the acting, interview, and social media antics.

He’s catching those Yan Hands. Such malevolent energy. Unlike that Aljo, Henry and TJ cringe.

Ok that's it for real no more FunkActor talk promise. But I'll just leave this here...

Last edited:
I don’t see how people are glossing over the illegal knee. Aljo was clearly down :lol:

Yan just standing there holding aljos head for a good ten seconds…then he glitches and launches a knee right his temple. He launched that thing with perfect placement and form.:rofl:

Jones’s knee on smith was more due to bad timing as he tried to catch him as he came up(Smith had hand down). Yan didn’t know what he was doing at all. Yan’s knee is more embarrassing than anything Aljo can do.

Last edited:
I don’t see how people are glossing over the illegal knee. Aljo was clearly down :lol:

Yan just standing there holding aljos head for a good ten seconds…then he glitches and launches a knee right his temple. He launched that thing with perfect placement and form.:rofl:

Jones’s knee on smith was more due to bad timing as he tried to catch him as he came up(Smith had hand down). Yan didn’t know what he was doing at all. Yan’s knee is more embarrassing than anything Aljo can do.

Was for real a straight execution style type knee.

Excited for this weekends main event. Been a long time for Leon. Think he gets Belal out there, TKO 3rd or 4th. Belal brings pressure but he doesn't really have much power behind it. Leon definitely the more technical fighter, will pick his shots and counter Belal all night. And aint no way in hell Belals leg is 100% from them kicks he took from Lima.

Oh man, listening to the Florian and Anik pod, Florian had izzy winning though he didn’t have a problem with the decision

I noticed most of the voices I put stock into had izzy at least winning 2 rounds

The right man won for sure imo but I think izzy will learn a lot about that fight. I don’t count him out at 205 yet just like I don’t count out max at 55 though that’s a shorter jump

No one’s disputing the knee was illegal. It was a dumb foul and rightfully cost Yan the win. I don’t think the belt should have changed hands like that but those are the rules.

People have a problem with aljo flopping around like ric flair, crying about how he doesn’t want to win like this, throwing the belt to the ground then posting up on social media with it celebrating, talking smack like he wasn’t about to get slept or lose a clear decision and trying to book a “super fight” with Cejudo and ducking the Yan rematch in the process. He seemed Ike a good dude before all this but he’s been moving questionable since.

Oh man, listening to the Florian and Anik pod, Florian had izzy winning though he didn’t have a problem with the decision

I noticed most of the voices I put stock into had izzy at least winning 2 rounds

The right man won for sure imo but I think izzy will learn a lot about that fight. I don’t count him out at 205 yet just like I don’t count out max at 55 though that’s a shorter jump
Wow thats crazy Florian had him winning.

No one’s disputing the knee was illegal. It was a dumb foul and rightfully cost Yan the win. I don’t think the belt should have changed hands like that but those are the rules.

People have a problem with aljo flopping around like ric flair, crying about how he doesn’t want to win like this, throwing the belt to the ground then posting up on social media with it celebrating, talking smack like he wasn’t about to get slept or lose a clear decision and trying to book a “super fight” with Cejudo and ducking the Yan rematch in the process. He seemed Ike a good dude before all this but he’s been moving questionable since.
If the belt doesn't change hands, then who's to say someone doesn't do something illegal the next time just to stop the fight and keep the belt. Maybe changing it so the title is vacant would be the right idea? But in the end Yan was told by the ref "grounded," literally looked at Aljo a good 6-7 seconds, looked to his corner, then kneed the man in his face. If anyone thinks Aljo should've continued after that they're ******* crazy. Man's brain was scrambled and would've just took more unnecessary brain damage.

Also Aljo didn't post any of those pics with the belt. It was his friends/team. If his close friends wanted to take a pic with him then that's fine. They're there to celebrate the man.

Only thing that rubbed me the wrong way at first was him posting the Cejudo vid. But in reality that was just all fun. He said on his podcast he wants the rematch to be better than the first fight. So obviously he got his eyes on the rematch.

If the belt doesn't change hands, then who's to say someone doesn't do something illegal the next time just to stop the fight and keep the belt. Maybe changing it so the title is vacant would be the right idea? But in the end Yan was told by the ref "grounded," literally looked at Aljo a good 6-7 seconds, looked to his corner, then kneed the man in his face. If anyone thinks Aljo should've continued after that they're ****ing crazy. Man's brain was scrambled and would've just took more unnecessary brain damage.

Also Aljo didn't post any of those pics with the belt. It was his friends/team. If his close friends wanted to take a pic with him then that's fine. They're there to celebrate the man.

Only thing that rubbed me the wrong way at first was him posting the Cejudo vid. But in reality that was just all fun. He said on his podcast he wants the rematch to be better than the first fight. So obviously he got his eyes on the rematch.
Yeah that’s the grey area because in theory the champ could foul to keep the belt. I like the vacant title suggestion as a compromise.

While I think aljo might have played it up a little bit I never said aljo should have continued, ref actually never should have put him in that position in the first place and waved the fight off sooner. Even just go to the replay to confirm he was down so the fight gets called right away once it was clear aljo wasn’t in shape to continue.

Maybe it’s just me but if I had won the belt like that I wouldn’t even want to touch it let alone pose for pictures and celebrate. I wouldn’t be able to look at myself like I’m the champ if I know I got my *** beat and won on a foul. We’ve seen guys win interim titles and not give af about the belt and not act like they’re the real champ and winning the belt like this is worse than that.

While I think aljo might have played it up a little bit I never said aljo should have continued, ref actually never should have put him in that position in the first place and waved the fight off sooner. Even just go to the replay to confirm he was down so the fight gets called right away once it was clear aljo wasn’t in shape to continue.

100% agree the fighter shouldn't be the one to decide to continue in situations like Smith/Aljo. Anything to the head illegally should be called and reviewed by the ref/Dr. Unfair to the fighter to be put in that kind of position. And if a fighter really is concussed, why tf are we asking him if he could continue :lol:

Wow thats crazy Florian had him winning.
No wonder he was let go by the UFC lol. I think rounds 1-3 are very debatable. In hindsight...I’d probably give it to Jan. Besides feints, Izzy wasn’t doing a lot of striking. Jan was winning in that category. Rounds 4 and 5 were definitely Jan’s. 10-8, nah.

One thing I’ll say post 259. I appreciate that there’s more “pro” commentary via podcasts, eg Believe You Me, Anik and Florian, Phone Booth Fighting, Weighing In, DC and Ariel, etc.

100% agree the fighter shouldn't be the one to decide to continue in situations like Smith/Aljo. Anything to the head illegally should be called and reviewed by the ref/Dr. Unfair to the fighter to be put in that kind of position. And if a fighter really is concussed, why tf are we asking him if he could continue :lol:

Exactly.

That’s my biggest issue with the Aljo situation. That knee was so blatant and so well placed that it would’ve been completely unfair to give him 5 minutes and then start again. The ref should have ended that quickly and all controversy would have been avoided. I have no problem with Yan getting stripped either because that was easily one of the dumbest moves I’ve ever seen in a UFC fight, let alone a champ doing that in a title fight. Yan had that fight in the bag and basically screwed himself.

I believe Aljo was definitely hurt badly initially, but eventually hammed it up because the ref took his sweet time calling the fight. And I’m not even mad at him for hamming it up either. That dude has worked his entire career to get to that title shot, gets it, was kinda getting handled, and then catches a crazy illegal knee. So now you tell that guy, I know you just got blasted illegally and could possibly be concussed or at the very least in much worse shape than you previously were, but go ahead and get up and keep fighting this guy that was already whippin your *** prior to illegally kneeing you. And after he finishes whippin your ***, good luck on getting back to a title fight again. Nah **** that. I’m not mad at him.

And it’s definitely the smart play too. At the very least he gets another training camp to try a different strategy, plus champ pay. It makes sense on every logical level for him to end the fight that way. And Yan might be one of my favorite new fighters but that was just dumb as ****, he gotta eat that one.

Exactly.

That’s my biggest issue with the Aljo situation. That knee was so blatant and so well placed that it would’ve been completely unfair to give him 5 minutes and then start again. The ref should have ended that quickly and all controversy would have been avoided. I have no problem with Yan getting stripped either because that was easily one of the dumbest moves I’ve ever seen in a UFC fight, let alone a champ doing that in a title fight. Yan had that fight in the bag and basically screwed himself.

I believe Aljo was definitely hurt badly initially, but eventually hammed it up because the ref took his sweet time calling the fight. And I’m not even mad at him for hamming it up either. That dude has worked his entire career to get to that title shot, gets it, was kinda getting handled, and then catches a crazy illegal knee. So now you tell that guy, I know you just got blasted illegally and could possibly be concussed or at the very least in much worse shape than you previously were, but go ahead and get up and keep fighting this guy that was already whippin your *** prior to illegally kneeing you. And after he finishes whippin your ***, good luck on getting back to a title fight again. Nah **** that. I’m not mad at him.

And it’s definitely the smart play too. At the very least he gets another training camp to try a different strategy, plus champ pay. It makes sense on every logical level for him to end the fight that way. And Yan might be one of my favorite new fighters but that was just dumb as ****, he gotta eat that one.

I'm with you. I'm fine with stripping Yan. And also agree that the ref should have called it out right. But could Aljo have not just told the ref/doc with a straight face "no, I cannot continue, that illegal knee ****** me up" without the shinanigans?

Gotta give Yan his due, his resume was being questioned, which was somewhat fair. He went in and handled a prime Aljo who was pushing the pace in the first round

I still think the Cejudo we last saw would beat Yan

I know it's easy to say, but I don't see Aljo beating the current version of Sandhagen

Sandhagen vs Cejudo or Yan would be pretty crazy

Have no clue about Garbrandt's health, but put him up against Rob Font

I was trying to tell yall before the fights that Yan is a monster. I'm all for wanting everyone black to win too but facts are facts. That Russian mofo is a Savage.

I'm with you. I'm fine with stripping Yan. And also agree that the ref should have called it out right. But could Aljo have not just told the ref/doc with a straight face "no, I cannot continue, that illegal knee ****ed me up" without the shinanigans?
From what I get with the interviews he's been doing is he was taking his time to see if he could regain his wits but ultimately felt the best when he was laying on his back, like when he told the doctor at the time.

I really think he was concussed off the knee just from the unexpected impact. Even in interviews right after Ray Longo was saying Aljo threw up hours after being back home.

I'll take Aljo for his word, he's been one of the good guys in the fight game.

From what I get with the interviews he's been doing is he was taking his time to see if he could regain his wits but ultimately felt the best when he was laying on his back, like when he told the doctor at the time.

I really think he was concussed off the knee just from the unexpected impact. Even in interviews right after Ray Longo was saying Aljo threw up hours after being back home.

I'll take Aljo for his word, he's been one of the good guys in the fight game.

That's fair.

I'll say this. I've been clowning on Aljo but one thing is for certain... That was a hellacious knee. The angle, the holding the back of the head, the placement and he even took the time to take the small step to get good momentum behind him. Cold Blooded.

I think that’s the issue. We all gloss over the knee and point out his antics.

When, we wouldn’t be in this situation if the Champ knew the rules, listened to the referee. I had a coworker complain about the acting job. Dude has to have a concussion. I wouldn’t take a knee to my face like that.

im not cheering on CTE but does it really matter that he has a concussion when that knee would have been legal if aljos knee was 1 inch off that mat?

Who in his team is advising him to do all these interviews??? He's making a bad situation worse. Right now he should be focusing on recovering and then preparing for the fight of his life. It is Petr Yan that is "comin fo dat ***".

Imagine they rematch this summer and Aljo chokes Yan out in 5 seconds like Sandhagen? LMAO

That would be priceless

Back
Top Bottom