The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Cannonier, Imavov, Reyes, Rosas on NOW

The downfall in a fighter’s career can be real quick. On top of the world and champion, then they lose and career isn’t the same.

I will not waiver that Frankie is not elite.

At the end of the day, it's all personal opinion.

I just don't think the rest of us agree with your opinion of a former undersized LW champ who has only lost to champion level talent and a guy who's career he pretty much ended.

At the end of the day, it's all personal opinion.

I just don't think the rest of us agree with your opinion of a former undersized LW champ who has only lost to champion level talent and a guy who's career he pretty much ended.
Fair ...

But again ...

If are losing to championship talent level, then are you elite? LoL

Is not like DC only losing to Jones ...

Carry on.

PS I don't like DC at all, and always give him **** about losing to Jones but dude is an Elite fighter.

Frankie just ain't.

It is what it is ...

If are losing to championship talent level, then are you elite?

If champions are your only competition and really the only ones able to beat you...

...IMO...

ABSOLUTELY

I never mentioned Gaethje, but since you say he is great, how so?

Just asking what's that based on?

While I don't agree due to his propensity to get hit. A LOT. (my bias)

He's 21-2 and basically all KOs. He knocks fools out. A LOT. .....he's also pretty technically sound too I guess

And if he doesn't earn a KO his opponents will. Dude goes out in a blaze of glory.

If champions are your only competition and really the only ones able to beat you...

...IMO...

ABSOLUTELY
So what you label those people that are beating them? Elite? Where's the distinction. What are we even saying.

This ain't a team sport, where you have multiple elite dudes that dont win a chip. This is individual... is ok to be good/great without being elite.

While I don't agree due to his propensity to get hit. A LOT. (my bias)

He's 21-2 and basically all KOs. He knocks fools out. A LOT. .....he's also pretty technically sound too I guess

And if he doesn't earn a KO his opponents will. Dude goes out in a blaze of glory.
Does that make him great? You said you don't think so ...

Nevermind .... your opinion is on ignore. LoL

I hate Frankie, I think he gets alley ooped too many title fights.

However the fact that he’s become champion, even just once shows that he’s been an elite fighter before.

HOWEVER, when comparing him against OTHER Champs, he’s not really at the top of the heap. He’s probably around lower middle end.

Like Eddie Alvarez, BJ, Bendo have all been champs.

Would y’all consider them all elite Champions? Probably not

Elite FIGHTERS, yes

So what you label those people that are beating them? Elite? Where's the distinction. What are we even saying.

A. You just said you ignore some loses because '**** happens' sometimes like 5 replies ago. So that part.

B. A lot of these loses are occurring outside of their prime. I cant really penalize a fighter for getting old. Father-Time undefeated.
TRTor however, put up a pretty valiant effort against a very game opponent.​

Does that make him great? You said you don't think so ...

Well to me, no. At least not currently.

Buthim being great was originally shogun shogun 's opinion on Gaejthe. I was just providing you a 'Why' since you asked.

Elite FIGHTERS, yes

I mean I thought that was the argument. "What's an Elite fighter and why isn't Frankie considered one?"

I don't think it was ever about 'Champions' per say.

Which now brings the question:
Does a fighter have to at least have won a Championship belt to be considered Elite?

Last edited:
Which now brings the question:
Does a fighter have to at least have won a Championship belt to be considered Elite?

I'd say wtih how the UFC is structured you do need to win a belt to be considered elite. I mean Tony Ferguson may be the closest fighter considered elite to have not won a belt (not counting the IC), IMO if he eventually gets his shot and loses he won't be considered elite if he were to retire without winning a strap. He'd be towards the top of the list of fighters considered 'elite' at a point in their careers but never to win a title.

I'd say wtih how the UFC is structured you do need to win a belt to be considered elite. I mean Tony Ferguson may be the closest fighter considered elite to have not won a belt (not counting the IC), IMO if he eventually gets his shot and loses he won't be considered elite if he were to retire without winning a strap. He'd be towards the top of the list of fighters considered 'elite' at a point in their careers but never to win a title.
Good point. To counter, I would ask how you or anyone else feels about Dustin vs Pettis legacy wise. Dustin obviously beat him so that’s something

Is Pettis’ legacy elite? Dustin? Or neither

Same.

Robbie looked really good in that brief fight against Askren. Anything that Colby does good, Robbie can counter (Great takedown defense) Colby definitely aint gonna KO him, while Robbie prob does if he lands the right shot.

I hate Frankie, I think he gets alley ooped too many title fights.

However the fact that he’s become champion, even just once shows that he’s been an elite fighter before.

HOWEVER, when comparing him against OTHER Champs, he’s not really at the top of the heap. He’s probably around lower middle end.

Like Eddie Alvarez, BJ, Bendo have all been champs.

Would y’all consider them all elite Champions? Probably not

Elite FIGHTERS, yes

Eddie is different. He beat RDA. Lost to Conor next fight. Never fought in a title fight again.

Ben defended several times which is impressive. Moved to WW, didn’t fight for a title before going to Bellator.

BJ IMO was an Elite champion at 155 before tarnishing his legacy by moving up after the 2 Edgar loses, then down and then fighting too long.

BJ was in GOAT conversations before those losses.

Obviously not factoring in belts in other orgs which is always kinda suspect.

Last edited:
Good point. To counter, I would ask how you or anyone else feels about Dustin vs Pettis legacy wise. Dustin obviously beat him so that’s something

Is Pettis’ legacy elite? Dustin? Or neither
I wouldn't consider Pettis or Dustin elite. Pettis does have impressive finishes over Bendo, Gilbert and Thompson but as I mentioned before his track record after losing to RDA is very shaky. For Dustin I feel he's just under Elite but a win over Khabib would probably sway me. His loss to MJ is still kind of crazy to me, I mean MJ has great speed but still hard to believe he KO'd Dustin. I'd consider it one of those bad matchups and I'll a fight he'd likely win 9 out of 10 times these days.

Fair points

If Dustin beats khabib it would weirdly elevate him to a place that I don’t think many folks feel comfortable to put him

Beating khabib who people think is unbeatable would be major. Especially if he finishes him.

Who y’all put on higher ranking?

Conor who never defended either 145 or 155

or

Frankie who defended 155 against BJ and Gray Maynard?

or

Ben Henderson who beat Frankie 2x and defended against Nate and Gilbert Melendez?

Last edited:
Feel like Conor’s run + LW title win place him higher.

We just haven’t seen him really thanks to the Mayweather check.

Didn’t even realize Nate had a title run. I don’t even know what we’re arguing about.

LW is literally the deepest division. All three of them are elite. All three on the same level, no.

Feel like Conor’s run + LW title win place him higher.

We just haven’t seen him really thanks to the Mayweather check.

Didn’t even realize Nate had a title run. I don’t even know what we’re arguing about.

LW is literally the deepest division. All three of them are elite. All three on the same level, no.
All Three elite
All Three arent on the same level

LoL

Ok ....

All Three elite
All Three arent on the same level

LoL

Ok ....

Yap.

L o L

Who has really been able to defend their title for a long time in that shark infested division? How do you argue about elite with former champions in the company’s deepest division?

Now we’re going to say Tyron, Stipe, Cyborg, Valentina aren’t elite. Valentina and Cyborg fought subpar competition. Tyron and Stipe lawst after a few title defenses.

Bro, it’s about that moment in time.

Back
Top Bottom