The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Cannonier, Imavov, Reyes, Rosas on NOW

gaethje might wanna give the braindead just bang style a rest

for someone that has a great wrestling background, gaethje should really shoot for a takedown once in awhile instead of punching guys fist with his head

Gaethje says he doesn't care win or lose just wants to put on entertaining fights, he accomplished his goal i guess.

Rewatched the fight because my kids wont sleep dammit but man Dustin is so good since he lost to Connor

Id like to see the rematch tbh, his boxing is just as good as Connor, his timing on the left isnt as perfect but its damn close

Also Herb Dean is a hell of a referee. Perfect stoppage, the eay he was holding pouriers arms back and Dustin jus screams whatttttttt

Missed the fights. How did Israel do? I know he won but how was the fight?
Isreal looked tentative in the first round standing, but looked impressive as hell with the take down defense he stuffed 2 take downs. The first round was a toss up

He really opened up in the 2nd round, started landing body kicks and different angle punches and a viscous elbow that stunned. He won the 2nd round by a landslide

Third round he finally got taken down twice but no damage really done to him, he lost the round for sure though

Overall I'm not too high or down, he fought a young well rounded opponent with a granite chin. At the same time he has a lot more to prove in terms of becoming someone who can contend down the road

If Khabib and Conor don't fight this year, I don't think Dana has a choice but to throw someone else in there. It certainly won't be Tony, I'm not sure he can return this year but we'll see

It certainly won't be Edson even with a win over Lee next Saturday

That leaves Eddie, Dustin or possibly Lee if he beats Edson... and there's always Nate lingering

In a logical/ideal world, they get Khabib Conor this year and around the same time put Eddie vs Dustin for #1 contender spot (although when Tony returns it will perhaps complicate things)

In the real world, Eddie has been refusing to fight Dustin holding out for a "bigger" matchup on the last fight of his contract. Conor is facing legal issues that who knows how it'll effect his career coupled with the fact that Conor may just go do boxing again

I just really hope they don't give the title shot to Eddie or Lee. I'd prefer they give it to Dustin or force Eddie to fight Dustin. Lee on the other hand can fight again even if he beats Edson

James vick could be alot higher potentially. Havent seen him fight in a while but he could give alot of those guys fits

Isreal looked tentative in the first round standing, but looked impressive as hell with the take down defense he stuffed 2 take downs. The first round was a toss up

He really opened up in the 2nd round, started landing body kicks and different angle punches and a viscous elbow that stunned. He won the 2nd round by a landslide

Third round he finally got taken down twice but no damage really done to him, he lost the round for sure though

Overall I'm not too high or down, he fought a young well rounded opponent with a granite chin. At the same time he has a lot more to prove in terms of becoming someone who can contend down the road
Thanks. I knew Israel's ground game was weak and honestly I hope he moves to a camp in the US soon. Not enough quality competition in NZ>. I hear from sources he loves his gym and coach too much to want to move, but greatness always tends to come with a sacrifice

for someone that has a great wrestling background, gaethje should really shoot for a takedown once in awhile instead of punching guys fist with his head

I think I remember hearing DC say something along the lines of "I asked him about that, and said he just fell in love with the style".

I think I remember hearing DC say something along the lines of "I asked him about that, and said he just fell in love with the style".

when you havent been defeated, i guess you could afford to fight like that.
has to go back and switch it up after consecutive losses in that fashion. that chin isnt holding up against strikers and if he even thinks about moving up, he'll get put to sleep.

His last 2 fights, we’ve seen him crumble before his opponents did. His strategy of destroying their legs before they shut off his brain isn’t working anymore.

Well with Tony out until early next year it seems I'd say go ahead and give Dustin the shot this fall (assuming Conor isn't coming back anytime soon). Or they could make Dustin-Alvarez a title eliminator this summer that is if Eddie is actually willing to take the fight. I don't think Lee should be considered if he gets a W against Barboza, at least make him fight another top 10 guy first. They could also consider Lee-Dustin later this year for #1 contender.

Khabib won't fight at earliest until when??? Mid-August??? Ramadan starts in a month... Full camp of 8 weeks brings it to mid August... Have to think the 155 picture clears up a good amount in that time.

Khabib should be good to take a fight in September

Dustin will need to heal his badly hurt leg and Eddie has been waiting healthy. I really hope they don't gift Eddie the title shot he doesn't deserve it

Conor has a trial in June which may clear up some stuff for his status

Dustin:

“Me and Eddie were offered a rematch on that Brooklyn show that Tony and Khabib were on,” Poirier said. “And my management told me that pretty much they’re probably trying to book this fight because if they fall out, one of you are going to replace them. I accepted the fight. Eddie turned it down. This was months ago. We could have been on that card, Eddie’s ranked higher than me, he probably would have fought for the belt a couple weekends ago.”

Poirier also said that this wasn’t the only time he was offered the bout, which would mark a rematch of their contentious no-contest at UFC 211, in which Poirier could not continue after an illegal knee to the head, for which Alvarez was not disqualified.

“It was offered a bunch of times, man,” Poirier said. “There were a bunch of cards that they offered the fight on. I accepted every time they offered it, Eddie turned it down every time. I think it was five times.”

“The things that he said after our fight, just the way he acted, I tried to stand up for the man and tell the crowd stop booing him not a dirty fighter, have some respect for the man,” Poirier said. “... Just way he acted after that. Saying that I was trying to milk the knee, he tweeted me “are you finally off your stool yet’ just all kinds of stuff like that that was very disrespectful. This isn’t a bar fight. You don’t knee somebody in the head and expect the guy to just keep going like it didn’t hurt. He got me pretty good with that knee, and it could have changed the outcome of fight. This is a sport. There has to be some line drawn.”

Poor guy is in a weird spot, he’s a win away from the title and Alvarez should be his opponent but he’s ducking

Guess he’ll fight the winner of Lee & Barboza

His last 2 fights, we’ve seen him crumble before his opponents did. His strategy of destroying their legs before they shut off his brain isn’t working anymore.

Yeah, he’s supposed to be a wrestler. He needs to incorporate it into his game plan and work on minimizing the head trauma.

That attrition based tactic hasn’t worked in his favor since coming to the UFC. It makes him fun to watch but he’s going to have some major CTE and will have no chance against the elite.

Porier looked good. Both Dustin and Max have bounced back great after their Connor loses.

Thanks. I knew Israel's ground game was weak and honestly I hope he moves to a camp in the US soon. Not enough quality competition in NZ>. I hear from sources he loves his gym and coach too much to want to move, but greatness always tends to come with a sacrifice

Some guys seem to thrive being at home and being the big dog with the 'small camp' formula.

Hollaway, Stipe... Whittaker being the prime example and coming from that same part of the world.

End of the day if you have the talent/potential and you work hard you can bring in the right pieces.

At every super gym like AKA & ATT there's 50 guys on the prelims or smaller promotions who despite being surrounded by killers will never make it to the elite ranks.

Back
Top Bottom