The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Cannonier, Imavov, Reyes, Rosas on NOW

I'm actually fine with RDA leaving, just to open up the division a lil more 
laugh.gif
 it's just insane

I definitely don't think Edson would fight Eddie, so that leaves MJ, Chisea and say if somehow Dustin beats Eddie, then Dustin

Technically Conor fought exactly 4 months ago, so really the division should be sorting itself out. Khabib pretty just ruined everything lol.. If Conor goes through with the boxing thing then I'd be disappointed but honestly I don't think it'll happen in 2017. Even with all the money on the line I think negotiations would be a beast with all these interests and then the fighters themselves

LW and MW are held up by the champs at the moment.

But they can definitely make some great co-mains with how the line is forming.

Could easily give Gastellum...Jacare!! He's been fighting bums lately.

I've been critical of Conor and his camp about certain things, but unless he:

-Fights Floyd next

-Fights Nate before anyone (namely Tony)

-Doesn't fight by say the end of Summer

You can't really say he's holding up the division. He literally fought 4 months ago. Again, there are certainly plenty of options for Conor where you could say "he's holding up the division" but technically things should have been sorting themselves out

There shouldn't be an onus on him to fight right now (he's been fighting a ton), realistically I would have said Summer was a fair time frame for his next title defense

If he chooses to fight at WW or fight Nate I can say I'd be disappointed that he didn't defend his title

Last edited:
I'll agree that he did fight in November or December. But we have no clue what he's doing. Is he fighting Floyd? Is he sitting out because of a kid on the way? Does he want to rematch Max or Aldo at FW? In Seinfeld, what is going on?

Could be a case of saving him for International Fight Week.

Just seems like some divisions they're picking from the bottom of the barrel to get contenders (DJ, Women's BW, Women's FW, LHW, HW). Whereas LW, WW, MW got this big constipated log jam.

Jacare might never challenge for the title. :frown:

We should have a clear #1 contender at Lightweight but we sort of lost out on that... I could see if Conor refused to fight that #1 contender you could say he's holding up the division

As things are now, that debacle has only made things murkier (do they try to re-make Tony vs Khabib?). You can't really blame Conor for that debacle

He's not fighting Aldo or Max so we can take that off the list

His kid is arriving in May... so again Summer time always made sense

The fight that makes sense is Conor vs Tony. I don't see how that's really debatable. Nate trilogy can come anytime but Tony certainly has a better case to get his title shot

I would say if Conor doesn't let his intentions be known by April, he'd be holding up the division. A lot of responsibility is on Dana too, depending on how he feels about Tony

Last edited:
April is next month :lol:

He technically has not held up the division. But if he's having a baby in May I don't see him in a camp any time soon.

That's where the hold up would occur.

I actually thought he could have knocked out one more fight before he took a break. I actually said he should go right for Woodley after the Alvarez fight. The build up was there after their "run-ins". Wonderboy would have taken a back seat.

It's great to be around your wife when she's pregs. But for the most part they're just doing their thing as usual for the first 8 month and she seems to be around him during his camps anyway. So they could have done the Dr. appts etc. together.

EDIT: Looking back on it now (I said that having been through it a few times) when it's your first you do want to be around for everything.

Last edited:
garbrandt must've really loved tj if he's that messed up from him leaving. Wish tj would act like a pro wrestler and superkick or punch buttchin when he's sitting in the audience.

I didn't mean April 1st lol

By the end of April if we haven't heard significant discussion/planning for Conor's title defense that'd be holding up the division. In terms of when the baby is actually born in May, yeah that's definitely true. Usually you'd want to be around for the first few months, meaning no training camp. You figure if he was gearing up for a fight in July he'd probably need to start preparation in April as well, which is why I used that as the barometer

I'm sure as hell glad they didn't do Conor vs Woodley. He'd certainly be holding divisions hostage again if he happened to win lol. At least Wonderboy was able to get two shots at it, wish Maia was the second guy though

Last edited:
Eh. That would have been an awful fight. But I think Woodley would have easily won based of their weight difference (Woodley walks around at 200) and his wrestling.

And Woodley wants to play the same games Conor and Bisping are playing too. They taking the sport out of it.

Do the belts mean much anymore? Just because you have a belt doesn't mean you make the most money or fans want to watch you. Remember when we had popular champions all around the same time like penn, hughes, gsp, franklin, liddell, couture?

Do the belts mean much anymore? Just because you have a belt doesn't mean you make the most money or fans want to watch you. Remember when we had popular champions all around the same time like penn, hughes, gsp, franklin, liddell, couture?
Mean much from who's perspective

Having the belt does mean more money doesn't it?

I think that was part of the issue with the money Ferg was being offered for the Johnson fight.

I could have sworn that because the Khabib fight was a title fight, he was making X.

And when they wanted him to fight Johnson, the number was reduced because it was no longer a title fight.

Can't remember where I read it though.

Only think you get ppv shares if you have a belt so helps payday bigtime. Reason other champs wanna be on same card as conor. So many ppv buys

It's contractual. Like Overeem when he came in was getting those hella high show/win money plus PPV points.

Ronda probably got PPV points for her last fight too.

Champs do get points. But it's not the same across the board. UFC isn't transparent with pay which is stupid. Hard to market compete when you don't know what the next person is getting.

They taking the sport out of it lol.

Yeah, the Reem was caking on that first contract. He was probably getting paid more than Cain or JDS who was the champ at the time. Internationally, at the time, he was big in Dream, SF and K1 but I didn't understand why Zuffa threw all that cash at him.

There literally is no rhyme or reason with the pay. Khabib getting half a million for the last fight. Whereas Tony had to whine and complain for equal treatment. And he still got done dirty.

Back
Top Bottom