The Gentrification of Sneakers Is Killing the Culture - Complex

Didn't sneaker culture go from subculture to mainstream in like 05-06 time when Kevin Ma started Hypebeast?

shoes have been a hobby of mine for 25 years. ive always bought what I liked and will continue to do so. I couldn't care less what the next person is buying. never have, never will. I never got into it because it was the thing to do. I got into it with my brothers and friends in the 90s and it is still something that we have in common. I am happily getting my son into shoes too. I like that he has an opinion on what are on his feet. I will continue to foster that as long as we have that in common. it has always been more than just what is on my feet. it is something I do with my brothers and now my son.

Find myself wearing "minimalist" designs as I get older. Some all black Roshe Runs or Common Projects low achilles is coo with me.

I remember about 15 years ago me and my boy took a bus to NYC, hit up Broadway and were seeing all sorts of different spots, all with different kinds of heat. Been to NYC many times since but never really strolled down Broadway like I did that day until a couple months ago. ALLLLL the old stores were gone. I understand that storefronts change all the time but there were hardly anything except "flagship" locations of huge brands all up and down Broadway, save for a handful of spots. That part about the cost of living making it impossible for anything authentic to cultivate is very true and sad. However it's definitely just a symptom of a larger problem.

Galaxy Foam = Counter punch daze in the late round
Yeezy 2 Release = Direct uppercut
MAG Auction = knock out right hook
Red October Release = Try to pull up on the rope while being counted out
Price Increases = 10 count. Fin.

I remember about 15 years ago me and my boy took a bus to NYC, hit up Broadway and were seeing all sorts of different spots, all with different kinds of heat. Been to NYC many times since but never really strolled down Broadway like I did that day until a couple months ago. ALLLLL the old stores were gone. I understand that storefronts change all the time but there were hardly anything except "flagship" locations of huge brands all up and down Broadway, save for a handful of spots. That part about the cost of living making it impossible for anything authentic to cultivate is very true and sad. However it's definitely just a symptom of a larger problem.
U talkin bway between 14th and canal or uptown bway? Man I remember getting fired earlier in the day down on varrick st and instead of going home (still in h.s.) sulking, on bway 1 block up from canal there was a sneaker shop on that corner....Jordan ll's og color....38$

The hunt also got me Raider Bo's for like 30$ at Hermans (old heads remember)

this.

complex act like only hood urban youth was rockin fly kicks.

homeimprovement1.jpg
Interesting picture......

Too old to worry about what the next person is wearing. I don't wear street wear cuz it's trash these days...

I don't really buy jordans like that unless I really want them which has been scarce in the past 10 years...

I mostly wear foamposites, new balance 576, 577, 997s.... and whatever else I feel like...

I don't follow people on youtube nor do I look up what hot and trendy...

But , I'm still fly. Still get complimented on my clothes and kicks...

Wear what u like

You forgot 990’s

"What was once a subculture of addicts, connoisseurs, and regular hood kids looking to stunt has turned into a race to wear the same sneakers."

The real question is, who around here didn't see it coming?

I dont like that quote in the article at all. So only poor, hood kids were into sneakers? If im my memory serves mecorrect, there were many collectors who came from a middle class family that got into collecting nikes, jordans, etc in the 80s and 90s.

Im sure some OGs like that are still here on NT if anything.

To say the sneaker "culture" is gentrified isnt something I can agree with. I would say it is more mainstream and slowly getting oversaturated, though.

rents skyrocketed eliminated alot of those shops...and shifting online habits from customers.

Another cornball opinion/article from Complex.

1. Comparing colonization and gentrification to the evolution of buying and collecting sneakers is foul.

2. Get with the times or move to the side. This article sound like one old heads talking about real lyrics and oldschool hip-hop.

3. WHO THE HELL CARES ABOUT THE PLIGHT OF A OLD SNEAKERHEAD!!!!

Back
Top Bottom