The Combat Jack Show Thread

One of the best DC episodes, wish they didn't cut it short. Feel like there was more.

"We Don't Give a F" was so hard too. Damn man what a time. It always sounded like The Lox was talking to Ja too on that record. Wish Irv would have talked more about what was going with The Lox and Ja.

"We Different" was a hard *** record too. The Murderers is probably the best rap album out of Murder Inc, that or VVV. I still play that joint. Ja was on a mission on that album though.

I always thought Em killed Jay. Both of them were dope but Jay's was just another dope Jay verse to me and Em was some **** like what in the **** did he say? What the **** is going on. The album with features is a dope idea and would have been something ill back when Em was in his prime and had a dope flow in 00-02. That would have been a dope project to have everyone on it.

Irv talking about producing Supa Ugly, that was Got Urself a Gun beat and then the other beat after. That was interesting.

Jay getting 750 for that wack *** song is crazy. Hey Papi >>> Girl's Best Friend

Last edited:
I definitely see how awkward the city high part sounds while listing it's still is on video :lol:

but Irv was talking FACTS on that

Great interview

Last edited:
So Irv confirming Ja changed hist style cuz of the X comparisons. It worked out for him cuz he wasn't gonna get as big he got sounding like X. Even as kids at that time me my friends looked at him as a fake X.

I don’t think ja changed his style

irv was saying he had ja come in the game with that style cause you not gonna out street x and not gonna out cool jay

VVV and The Murderer's albums were hardcore, street albums.

Everything after that was more aimed towards women. He still rapped and had hard records but everything after those albums was different.

I remember the ja cuts he had early on

I just feel the adjustment was super early too

really what I should’ve said

Irv just called 50 a f*g

giphy.gif

This episode fire

"We Don't Give a F" was so hard too. Damn man what a time. It always sounded like The Lox was talking to Ja too on that record. Wish Irv would have talked more about what was going with The Lox and Ja.

Styles was definitely going at Ja :sick: :pimp:

Hey yo X **** them ******, them ****** ain't your dogs
Better treat like some cats and shake they *** to the floor
Been seen the foul ****, put the guns in em
Lil' wannabe you's, so why you run wit em?
You can't trust ****** no further than you can throw em
You don't wanna murder the ******, then you blow em
He usin' yo' style, that make him yo' child
Then he shouldn't make a move 'til he hear it from yo' mouth
We don't allow snakes, running wit dogs
Tell them ain't nothing like a funeral that's gonna be yours
Double-r, and I ain't here to start trouble god
But if they wasn't your ****** I would of been hit em hard

Hip Hop was just different back then

:smh:

I'm super late but Joe's episode with Bridget Kelly was enjoyable. She held her own compared to women they had on in the past before Marissa left.

I hope Combat pulls through on his cancer. **** sucks so bad.

GOAT Drink Champs episode.

:lol: @ Dame hating when Irv was tryna X signed

:lol: @ that superhead story, she sucked everybody off to be in a video.

the lack of Dames, Gotti's, Dee/Wah, Suge is exactly why the game is the way it is now... Label heads got them outta here because they wasn't down for the sucka **** & knew exactly what the people wanted & trusted their vision.

the lack of Dames, Gotti's, Dee/Wah, Suge is exactly why the game is the way it is now... Label heads got them outta here because they wasn't down for the sucka **** & knew exactly what the people wanted & trusted their vision.

i'd agree that there is a lack of those type people in music generally, i'm not sure i'd agree that the label heads moved them out rather circumstance(s) made it easy for each of those dudes specifically to be bypassed (dame, regardless of his intelligence, burnt alot of bridges/relationships, irv had a federal case that restricted his business, i can't recall what happened to dee & wah though i remember one of them got into a bad crash and/or a drug case, and suge in spite of whatever business acumen he had chose to embrace being the gangsta)...

look at the shift that happened/was happening in music at that time, none of the aforementioned really had any young or southern artists in that time frame when the south really started to really bubble up, they still were primarily concerned with their established stars and people like birdman (through wayne, and baby's willingness to actually honor contracts aside), coach k, soldier boy, gucci mane, even someone like asap yams (had he lived) somewhat occupy that space now...

i'd argue that position, of being an arbiter of "wha the people wanted" is somewhat obsolete in a business where the cost of actually making music is so relatively low (which isn't to say that isn't important, it still is, look at someone like adam22 from the no jumper podcast, just not as lucrative), essentially all those dudes were either the money men or affiliated with the money, perhaps with some creative overlap, if you are an artist today making music on your own, there is less incentive & need for you to get in with the plug and/or listen to the establishment (or anyone for that matter) about what is dope when you can put out music yourself and get feedback directly from the people.

usually the people that occupy those "label head" positions are many times removed from seeing what is actually moving in culture, they rely on others to be up on what is happening, they needed people like irv and honestly i think that because the music industry was shrinking from the way music was being consumed these guys just became less useful, prohibitively expensive, and maybe not worth the headache of dealing with in certain cases; this has been alluded to any time you hear people talk about the industry...if suge knight isn't making you crazy money are you really trying to deal with the tough guy persona on a regular basis? if music isn't banking like that are you really trying to hear dame dash berate you & your staff constantly? and even if that were not the case (which in both cases, their reputations were somewhat likely exaggerated), why not bypass those type guys and deal directly with the artists?

Last edited:
Naw, it was a concerted effort. Not even Irv, Dame and Puff and them, but what about a new generation of Master P's, Tony Drapers, J Prince's and Baby's? They were also a product of the 90's. It's not a coincidence that the power was taken form their hands. They were making too much money and had too much power. Plus they from the street and threatened execs literally and figuratively.

Who is it now? Top Dogg

How many execs are from the culture now? New ones?

I was never a big Ja fan.

I always find peoples reaction to DMX funny. Dude was trying to get a deal for a decade.

It just shows you the right time something works. Puff helped usher in DMX.

That's why I don't agree what Irv said about Drake about the records. He might could have sold, but it wouldn't have been sustainable like it is now. Nelly sold a whole lot of records. Ja sold a whole lot of records.

Hold up, Murda Inc was hot trash. They were a huge part of the problem. All those sugar cube *** songs Ja was doing in the early 2000s, that was part of the problem. I respect Irv's business moves and he's great in interviews, but Murda Inc was diluting the game.

Naw, it was a concerted effort. Not even Irv, Dame and Puff and them, but what about a new generation of Master P's, Tony Drapers, J Prince's and Baby's? They were also a product of the 90's. It's not a coincidence that the power was taken form their hands. They were making too much money and had too much power. Plus they from the street and threatened execs literally and figuratively.

Who is it now? Top Dogg

How many execs are from the culture now? New ones?

I was never a big Ja fan.

I always find peoples reaction to DMX funny. Dude was trying to get a deal for a decade.

It just shows you the right time something works. Puff helped usher in DMX.

That's why I don't agree what Irv said about Drake about the records. He might could have sold, but it wouldn't have been sustainable like it is now. Nelly sold a whole lot of records. Ja sold a whole lot of records.

i guess it is possible, but it seems just as likely that they were getting older & did not adapt quick enough to how the industry was changing (which to be fair a lot of people didn't), ringtone rap is something of a direct precursor to the the meme rap of these days and almost no one from that old guard was into it...from the outside looking in it seems like it is much harder to come up "from the mud" as an exec these days, especially outside of the established network...even though it kinda seems like there are more ways into & around the music biz now, i can't really see why an artist would think they would need such a person if they can go to youtube for beats, hit up producers or other artist direct through various means rather as easily as finding them on ig?

those guy were definitely powerful and making a ton of cash, but again when the budgets shrank, as all the cats who come on drink champs note (i really wish they were just a little bit more disciplined, nore & efn interrupt so many interesting anecdotes with nonsense it is maddening...), and they were neither eager or quick to move & adjust, and if those dudes prolly didn't make as much sense given that the money wasn't as good..

i'm not knowledgeable at all about the industry to say who is & isn't of "the culture," though listening to podcasts it definitely seems there are a quite of few people that have risen up from old a&r, street team, etc. positions...i thought about including tde but i kinda feel like they are really from and operate under the older model...if you look at how drill music came up in the chi, that is probably the ideal model for the music industry now; a bunch of artist doing the work to create a buzz/name and some established artist or exec comes thru to swoop 'em up, no artist development or investment necessary...

Coach K and P (QC) occupy that Irv Gotti/Dame/Suge/Baby/Puff/JD/J Prince stage right now....are flourishing right now (and have been for a decade starting with Jeezy and Gucci). Top Dogg too.

Irv's Superhead story....and that Ecstasy story :lol:. NORE called that man "Ecstasy Irv" :rofl:

Hold up, Murda Inc was hot trash. They were a huge part of the problem. All those sugar cube *** songs Ja was doing in the early 2000s, that was part of the problem. I respect Irv's business moves and he's great in interviews, but Murda Inc was diluting the game.

Murda Inc was GREAT. Including those songs Ja made for the women. If you can't feel this....I don't trust you.

Lil Mo is one of he most underrated voices we've had in R&B. Those ad libs.

Wooo woo woooo :pimp:

Yea idk what homie talking about.

Those songs had soul and make you feel something . I enjoy the new turn up music but a lot of it lacks substance and emotion.

i wouldn't say murda inc. was trash, but as irv himself said the lane they occupied was definitely more about those glitzy big records than the more "street records" that were album cuts, which was why he said wanted to sign nas with the inc. rebranding...

i'd agree that there is a lack of those type people in music generally, i'm not sure i'd agree that the label heads moved them out rather circumstance(s) made it easy for each of those dudes specifically to be bypassed (dame, regardless of his intelligence, burnt alot of bridges/relationships, irv had a federal case that restricted his business, i can't recall what happened to dee & wah though i remember one of them got into a bad crash and/or a drug case, and suge in spite of whatever business acumen he had chose to embrace being the gangsta)...

look at the shift that happened/was happening in music at that time, none of the aforementioned really had any young or southern artists in that time frame when the south really started to really bubble up, they still were primarily concerned with their established stars and people like birdman (through wayne, and baby's willingness to actually honor contracts aside), coach k, soldier boy, gucci mane, even someone like asap yams (had he lived) somewhat occupy that space now...

i'd argue that position, of being an arbiter of "wha the people wanted" is somewhat obsolete in a business where the cost of actually making music is so relatively low (which isn't to say that isn't important, it still is, look at someone like adam22 from the no jumper podcast, just not as lucrative), essentially all those dudes were either the money men or affiliated with the money, perhaps with some creative overlap, if you are an artist today making music on your own, there is less incentive & need for you to get in with the plug and/or listen to the establishment (or anyone for that matter) about what is dope when you can put out music yourself and get feedback directly from the people.

usually the people that occupy those "label head" positions are many times removed from seeing what is actually moving in culture, they rely on others to be up on what is happening, they needed people like irv and honestly i think that because the music industry was shrinking from the way music was being consumed these guys just became less useful, prohibitively expensive, and maybe not worth the headache of dealing with in certain cases; this has been alluded to any time you hear people talk about the industry...if suge knight isn't making you crazy money are you really trying to deal with the tough guy persona on a regular basis? if music isn't banking like that are you really trying to hear dame dash berate you & your staff constantly? and even if that were not the case (which in both cases, their reputations were somewhat likely exaggerated), why not bypass those type guys and deal directly with the artists?

While i agree that music did change from that era, my point was more that these guys were IMPORTANT as hell in being the link between the creators & the businessmen. Gotti, Dame, Puff, Master P, Suge etc etc were guys who were astute on the business end but also were knee deep in the culture of hip hop. So it was hard for these labels to completely manipulate the artist & their images to how they see fit, without going through a middle man.

The roles of these guys are still very present they are just in the form of old white men & guys who are only involved in hiphop for the bottom line. So they don't even have relationships with their artist on a personal level, their undevoted loyalty is to their label & bosses. The fight for the artist is dead & the push for artistry is dead, it 100% just creating a product now & disposing of the artist as quick as possible.

The culture took a hit when it switched from creators with business acumen to flat out businessmen.

Topp & the whole TDE camp seem to be the only ones still in that Mode
Edit: Cole & his entire Dreamville camp seem to be on the same wave, Also Ross & MMG

hence them having longevity & success.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom