The College Basketball Post

i hope syracuse doesnt get stuck with us... if thats the case then its going to be another 2nd round exit.... there is something about that cuse team thattells me they could make a nice run if they get their stuff together

Originally Posted by tmay407

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

Originally Posted by blazinjkid

Originally Posted by worldbeefreeg

Lunardi sucks.
laugh.gif

Wasn't every single one of his picks correct last year?
laugh.gif
don't fall for Lunardi's BS. he always gets inside information right before selections come out and changes his picks. he sucks.
Check his Bracketology from the night before, then compare to his Bracketology that was released an hour before the Selection Sunday show...it's magical how much they change.

So you are going know an hour before. Hes using all his resources.

Originally Posted by gangsta207therevolution

So you are going know an hour before. Hes using all his resources.
That's fine and dandy, but he makes it seem like they're legitimately his picks...which they aren't...

All the "experts" on ESPN have insiders, they're just the mouthpieces to the masses. I don't really see anything wrong with this bracket. Youcould argue about a couple of the last teams, but when is there ever a definitive 64 teams? There's always controversy. The Miami's and Oklahoma Statesaren't that different than the Michigans and Cincinatti's. Some teams who have a legitimate claim are gonna get left out.

QUEENS, N.Y. - Red Storm head men's basketball coach Norm Roberts announced that sophomore forward/center Dele Coker will be suspended indefinitely for aviolation of team rules, specifically not meeting the team's required academic responsibilities.

i see hasn't played the last 2, old news?

Random thought;

Imagine a foursome of Blake, Willie, Damion James and Shooty?

probably never woulda shaken out as such but, still....Yikes.

See ya Irish
pimp.gif

impressive by Nova bouncing back on the road Sat/Monday schedule, particularly @ the Joyce Center.

Completely different team than the one on Saturday.

I thought ND woulda had this at their crib since they kept it close with UConn. LATER!

Baylor really fell the #%%# off ..

Originally Posted by Al3xis

See ya Irish
pimp.gif

impressive by Nova bouncing back on the road Sat/Monday schedule, particularly @ the Joyce Center.

Completely different team than the one on Saturday.
Let's Get It Nova
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I really want GU to get in, JTIII will probably outcoached that team to the Sweet 16.

Originally Posted by JamesOnNT

Baylor really fell the #%%# off ..
No depth whatsoever... I read somewhere they were like 314th in the country in bench minutes the last two seasons...
sick.gif

Sneaker wars over Stephenson?

Maryland may have committed NCAA violations on Lance's visit

NEW YORK -- Lance Stephenson plays basketball in Nike Air Jordans and competes for an Adidas-sponsored program at Lincoln High School in Brooklyn.
Yet it is Stephenson's association with Under Armour, a Baltimore-based sports apparel company trying to become a player in the high-stakes world of grassroots basketball, that has drawn the most scrutiny in recent weeks.

The University of Maryland is investigating potential NCAA violations connected to Stephenson's official visit in January to its campus and the nearby Under Armour facilities.

The Washington Post on Sunday reported that Maryland may have violated NCAA rules by allowing the 6-foot-5 Stephenson and his family to visit and tour the Under Armour site. The company is owned and operated by Kevin Plank, a former Maryland football player and member of the school's Board of Trustees. Under Armour has donated more than $1 million to Maryland and has an exclusive deal to outfit the school's athletics teams.

The Post also reported that Byron Mouton, a former Maryland basketball player, spoke to Stephenson on the visit and encouraged him to join the program, a potential violation of NCAA recruiting practices.

In a statement on its Website, Maryland said it was "diligent in regards to following NCAA rules and regulations" and added that its "business relationship with Under Armour, as the department's exclusive apparel provider, is a relationship common throughout collegiate athletics."

As far as Mouton's contact with Stephenson, the University said: "If this situation did occur as described in the Post story, it would most likely be a minor violation, per NCAA rules, not likely impacting the eligibility and/or recruitment of the recruit."

The Under Armour Connection: Stephenson, the No. 1 senior in the nation according to the Hoop Scoop and No. 9 by Rivals, is one of the few elite seniors who has yet to pick a college and will likely choose from among St. John's (a Nike school), Kansas (adidas) and Maryland (Under Armour).

Yet the young man they call "Born Ready" has repeatedly said that the style of play (he prefers an up-tempo approach), the talent level of his future teammates and his relationship with the coach will be the determining factors. The sneaker affiliation of the school, he said, will have no bearing on his choice.

"Ah, no," he said in a recent interview. "I'm just going in there and see what's best for me and my family and how do I fit in the program. That's it."

Stephenson's Lincoln teammate, 6-8 forward James Padgett, has already signed to play for the Terps and that could also be a factor.

"He loves playing with me and he said I always motivate him to play harder in all the games and at practice," Stephenson said, "so he said that would be a good look."

Stephenson said he could announce March 21 after the PSAL championship game at Madison Square Garden. Lincoln is the three-time defending PSAL champ and is seeking a record fourth straight.

Under Armour signed a four-year, $2 million deal with Brandon Jennings, the American point guard who skipped college to play professionally in Italy and could be drafted into the NBA this June.

"The endgame is for Brandon to make it the NBA and be the impact player that everyone is predicting that he'll be," said Steve Battista, Under Armour's senior vice president of brand.

Under Armour has deals with over 70 collegiate programs and has all-school deals with Texas Tech, South Florida and Auburn, in addition to Maryland. The company won't have sneakers on sale for retail until 2010, yet it wants to establish relationships with Stephenson and other high school players so they can represent the company should they ever make the NBA.

According to an insider from another sneaker company who requested anonymity because he didn't want to appear to be taking sides, he would not be surprised if other top players were advised to consider Maryland because of its relationship with Under Armour.

"Kevin Plank wants to get basketball shoes out there so he can attack the basketball world," the insider said. "He wants [Under Armour] to be a global sports brand and basketball is a huge, huge category to be in to prove that you're relevant."

Sonny Vaccaro, who has worked for Nike, adidas and Reebok and has also met with the Stephenson family, said Stephenson would be a natural player to target in this year's class.

"Absolutely, when you look at it," Vaccaro said in a phone interview. "He's athletic. He plays the right position. If I were in the business, Lance would be someone I would consider talking to."

Still, given the present economic climate, Vaccaro said the money available to Stephenson would pale in comparison to what Jennings makes, let alone the millions Kobe Bryant and LeBron James signed for.

"The endorsement money is a pipe dream," Vaccaro said. "To think people are going to get the LeBron money in the near future, even Kevin Durant, that kind of money is not available."

In addition to targeting specific high school basketball stars, Under Armour has also targeted various high school teams, including Lincoln and Boys & Girls of Brooklyn. Boys & Girls has a specific line of sneakers, while Lincoln has "wear-tested" various Under Armour products.

"Our partnership is with Lincoln high school and the coaches/players have helped us garner key product insights as Lincoln is one of the elite high school programs in the country," Ryan Drew, an Under Armour spokesman, wrote in an email. "We are always evaluating up and coming talent."

Air Jordans over Under Armour: Stephenson wears Air Jordans even though he was not invited to the prestigious Jordan Brand Classic game at Madison Square Garden on April 18. Some have speculated that he wasn't invited because of Lincoln's relationship with Under Armour, but the exact reason remains unclear.

"You see Lance wear Under Armour?" asked Lincoln coach Dwayne "Tiny" Morton at the recent Nike Super 6 at Fordham University. "If you [haven't] seen it, then we can't even talk about it...He continues to wear the Jordan shoes."

In any event, Stephenson was invited to the McDonald's All-American Game on April 1 in Miami, which he views as the more prestigious game.

Despite all the talk about Stephenson and Under Armour, he is seriously considering two schools with no ties to the company: Kansas and St. John's.

Moreover, if Stephenson does choose Maryland, the source said it won't be simply because of the school's five-year, $17.5 million deal with Under Armour.

"It does a complete disservice to [Maryland coach] Gary Williams to think that this kid is going to go to Maryland just because of what kind of shoes that they wear," the insider said. "And not because of his coaching resume of being one of the best coaches in college basketball. He has as many championships as [Kansas'] Bill Self or [North Carolina's] Roy Williams does.

"If Lance goes to Maryland it's not going to be because of Under Armour. A player in the caliber of Lance Stephenson, with the resume of basketball accolades that he has, is going to pick his college very, very carefully and not on what shoes the program wears because the stakes are too high."

Stephenson agreed.

"I just play ball," he said. "I just want to accomplish my goal and that's to go to college and be a successful player and go to the NBA."

Can't say that I'm not surprised....

Gary needs an extension
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Abrams wanting to be remembered as an all around player
laugh.gif

I swear at Okie State last week he just stood in the corner the whole game

Updated: February 25, 2009
recruit_jackson2_576.jpg

Les Bentley for ESPN.com

Lakeem Jackson is South Carolina's top 2009 recruit.
[h3]Jackson Out To Show He Has Elite Skills[/h3]
By Jason Jordan
Special to ESPN.com
Early evening Dec. 29, Lakeem Jackson walks through the double doors at Broughton High School in Raleigh, N.C., to play in the GlaxoSmithKline Holiday Invitational.
He's smack dab in the middle of a group of Christ School basketball players.

At 6-foot-5, he's easily one of the tallest people in the crowded lobby, yet all the "that's him" glances go to teammate Mason Plumlee, a 6-11 McDonald's All-American who has signed with Duke.

No one reveres Jackson.

No one waves or wishes him luck or even shakes his hand.

That's because no one knows who Lakeem Jackson is.

"I'm used to it," he said. "I just keep my headphones on and keep it moving. I figure I'll make them know me."

Two hours, a game-high 18 points -- on rim-rocking dunks and acrobatic fadeaways -- and a 76-59 win over Kinston High, and Jackson's mission is accomplished.

Perhaps even more impressive is that he's held Kinston guard Reggie Bullock, a North Carolina commit, to just 17 points, after Bullock had managed 33 in the opening round.

Now Jackson is not wearing his headphones. Now he's shaking hands and signing autographs and taking pictures. Now they get it. "When people don't know you, you have to make them know you," said Jackson, a senior who is rated the No. 15 overall small forward in the ESPNU 100. "That's how I play every game. I feel like I have a lot to prove to a lot of people. I feel a little underappreciated." He'll admit this much: When it came time to decide where he'll suit up for college, he "was a little bothered" he was void of the option to select an in-state ACC school.

It's relative. Jackson grew up in Charlotte, N.C., and the unwritten rule for North Carolina prep stars reads: Big-time ballers from said state must strongly consider the big four -- North Carolina, Duke, North Carolina State and Wake Forest.

"Naturally," Jackson said.

Problem was, the big four never came calling, thus leaving a basketball-sized chip on Jackson's shoulder.

"You can see it when he plays. 'I never even got a call from Duke, Carolina or Wake. State called me once, but no serious interest there.' He's out to prove them wrong," said Jackson's oldest brother, Elrico.

On one play against Middle Creek High in the Glaxo opening round, Jackson went to the baseline, rose up and threw down arguably the dunk of the tournament.

Before trotting down to the other end of the court, amidst the animated "oohs" of the capacity crowd, Jackson stared blankly in the direction of N.C. State coach Sidney Lowe, who was standing courtside, to make sure he saw it.

"I thought about how he didn't offer me a scholarship," Jackson said. "I just wanted to show him why he should've rethought that."

Now don't get him wrong, Jackson is not staging a one-man "I'll show them" exhibition every time he plays.

When he committed to South Carolina in July, he was ecstatic. "I'm in the best situation for me," he said. It's just that being overlooked by big-time in-state schools left Jackson feeling a bit jaded.

Plumlee can understand why.

He said that after playing with Jackson for just a few games last season, he couldn't understand why the in-state ACC schools weren't fawning over him.

Clemson and Georgia Tech offered Jackson, along with Charlotte and Marquette.

"I just knew one or two had to be recruiting him," Plumlee said. "He's such a good player and does so many things well. I couldn't understand it."

It bothered him so much that he even nudged the Duke staff about potentially recruiting his teammate.

"We were recruiting Leslie McDonald at the time, and they wanted to see what he was going to do," Plumlee said. "Lakeem committed to South Carolina while they were waiting, and Leslie ended up going to North Carolina. I would've loved to have played with Lakeem in college, but he's going into a good situation at South Carolina. He's proven what he's capable of."

Still, Jackson, who averages 16 points, five rebounds and four assists per game for the Greenies, is far from feeling like he's arrived.

Blame it on being the youngest of four brothers, all of whom played college basketball -- Elrico at Barber-Scotia in Concord, N.C.; Donavon at Johnson C. Smith in Charlotte; and Lavonte at St. John's River in Palatka, Florida. "We never gave him anything on the court growing up," Elrico said. "He earned everything, and he had to show us that he could play every game."

Added Lakeem: "They definitely pushed me around a lot, roughed me up and all of that. Big brother-little brother stuff, I guess. But I can remember thinking back then that I was gonna show them I could play. It's just stuck with me."

South Carolina coach Darrin Horn had similar staying power.

Last March, when he left his head coaching job at Western Kentucky to head up the Gamecocks, Horn made Jackson priority No. 1. "[Horn] had offered me when he was at Western Kentucky," Jackson said. "And he had been there from the beginning. We'd built a close relationship."

Granted -- and Jackson knows this will sound cliché -- the thing that really helped Horn's cause was South Carolina's accredited college of pharmacy, which is among the nation's upper echelon.

"I know a lot of times guys say that they look at academics first and don't really mean it," Jackson said. "Well, I've always wanted to be a pharmacist. Yeah, I want to go to the NBA, but that's my backup plan. I'm concentrating on being a pharmacist at South Carolina." Jackson went on to talk about his interim goal of "continuing to prove myself every time I hit the floor. It doesn't really bother me that people don't know me like that."

The latter part of his ploy is less than convincing. He's guarded, yet honest. Withholding, yet open.

And then, suddenly, vulnerably transparent.

"I always think that one day people will consistently watch me play and say, 'That kid is special,'" Jackson said. "That's all I want. That's all I've ever wanted. And I'm not giving up hope. I know it will happen for me. It's got to."

Jason Jordan writes for ESPNRISE.com and ESPN The Magazine.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Donavon at Johnson C. Smith in Charlotte; and Lavonte at St. John's River in Palatka, Florida
Donovan and 'Vonte were terrors on the court
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

QUEENS, N.Y. - Red Storm head men's basketball coach Norm Roberts announced that sophomore forward/center Dele Coker will be suspended indefinitely for a violation of team rules, specifically not meeting the team's required academic responsibilities.

i see hasn't played the last 2, old news?
This is news to me.

Since the regular season is wrapping up who do y'all like for POY, COY, and ROY from all the conferences.

If we make the NCAA tournament and land Lance, Gary is the man. After all the criticism he received early in theseason, he's done a great job.

HUGE game in College Park tomorrow.

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]GO TERPS![/color]

What up college b-ball crew.. I haven't really gotten to watch a ton of ball this season because I've been so busy, so excuse me if I'm way late onthis analysis.

Some of my thoughts from tonight:

Scottie Reynolds is that DUDE. Give that guy any room and he will just splash it, but he did get blocked somethin nasty
eek.gif

Bill Self is a class act, as a Memphis fan I should hate this man. But his club is doing very similar things to ours. Anyone think Cal or Self should be up forPOY at all?

Lakeem Jackson is a gonna be a problem for Gamecocks basketball.

Him and Downey in next year's starting five will turn some heads toward Columbia.

Now if we can only beat Tennessee Wednesday night, we'll make the Big Dance.

ComeUp,

were you the one high on Vee Sanford? What's the deal with him...under the radar cause he wasn't on the summer circuit?

Admittedly Gary has done a good job.

For big East

POY - DeJuan Blair
COY - Jay Wright
ROY - Greg Monroe

The finalists for the Henry Iba, Jim Phelan and High Durham Coach of the Year awards were announced. I'm not sure how Brad Stevens didn't make the Henry Iba finalists, but he should in the mix there as well.

The most baffling list is the Jim Phelan one because it had Jim Calhoun and Roy Williams included. C'mon, these are guys whose teams were picked in the Top three prior to the start of the season.

Also, one guy's name that doesn't appear anywhere is Utah's Jim Boylen - and that's just flat-out ridiculous.

Henry Iba - voted on by the U.S. Basketball Writers Association

Mike Anderson, Missouri
John Calipari, Memphis
Jeff Capel, Oklahoma
Jamie Dixon, Pittsburgh
Mike Montgomery, California
Stew Morrill, Utah State
Matt Painter, Purdue
Oliver Purnell, Clemson
Bill Self, Kansas
Brad Stevens, Butler

Jim Phelan - voted on by a 20-member panel

Jim Calhoun, UConn
John Calipari, Memphis
Jamie Dixon, Pittsburgh
Darrin Horn, South Carolina
Trent Johnson, LSU
Lorenzo Romar, Washington
Bill Self, Kansas
Brad Stevens, Butler
Bruce Weber, Illinois
Roy Williams, North Carolina

Hugh Durham - given to top mid-major coach voted on by a 20-member panel:

Brad Stevens, Butler
Randy Bennett, Saint Mary's
Duggar Baucom, VMI
Todd Bozeman, Morgan State
Ed Conroy, The Citadel
Brad Greenberg, Radford
Saul Phillips, North Dakota State
J.P. Piper, Nicholls State
Randy Rahe, Weber State
HORIZON LEAGUE

Player of the Year - Matt Howard, 6-8, 230, F, Soph., Butler - 14.3 ppg, 6.9 rpg
Newcomer of the Year - Gordon Hayward, 6-8, 200, F, Fr., Butler - 13.8 ppg, 6.3 rpg
Coach of the Year - Brad Stevens, Butler
Defensive Player of the Year - Cedric Jackson, 6-3, 190, G, Sr., Cleveland Stat

All-League First Team
Matt Howard, Butler
Gordon Hayward, Butler
J'Nathan Bullock, 6-5, 240, F, Sr., Cleveland State - 15.6 ppg, 6.8 rpg
Ryan Tillema, 6-8, 200, G, Sr., Green Bay - 16.9 ppg, 4.4 rpg
Josh Mayo, 5-11, 175, G, Sr., UIC - 16.9 ppg, 3.4 apg

* Matt Howard is the first sophomore to win POY honors since Parrish Casebier of Evansville in 1992.

Conference Tourney Schedule

Tuesday at campus sites

No. 10 Detroit at No. 3 Cleveland State
No. 7 UIC at No. 6 Youngstown State
No. 9 Valparaiso at No. 4 Wright State
No. 8 Loyola at No. 5 UW-Milwaukee

No. 1 Butler and No. 2 Green Bay receive byes into the semifinals

Friday - second round at Hinkle Fieldhouse in Indianapolis
Saturday - semifinals at Hinkle
Tuesday, March 10 - Championship at highest remaining seed
METRO ATLANTIC ATHLETIC CONFERENCE (MAAC)

All-League First Team
Kenny Hasbrouck, 6-3, 195, G, Sr., Siena
Bilal Benn, 6-5, 205, G/F, Jr., Niagara
Tyrone Lewis, 5-11, 180, G, Jr., Niagara
Ryan Thompson, 6-6, 210, G, Jr., Rider
Edwin Ubiles, 6-6, 200, SF, Jr., Siena

* The Player of the Year will be announced on March 5

Friday - at Times Union Center in Albany

No. 8 Loyola vs. No. 9 Canisius
No. 7 Iona vs. No. 10 Marist

Saturday - quarterfinals

No. 1 Siena vs. Loyola-Canisius winner
No. 4 Manhattan vs. No. 5 Fairfield
No. 2 Niagara vs. Iona-Marist winner
No. 3 Rider vs. No. 6 Saint Peter's

Sunday - semifinals
Monday, March 9 - Championship

METRO ATLANTIC ATHLETIC CONFERENCE (MAAC)

All-League First Team
Kenny Hasbrouck, 6-3, 195, G, Sr., Siena
Bilal Benn, 6-5, 205, G/F, Jr., Niagara
Tyrone Lewis, 5-11, 180, G, Jr., Niagara

Ryan Thompson, 6-6, 210, G, Jr., Rider
Edwin Ubiles, 6-6, 200, SF, Jr., Siena

* The Player of the Year will be announced on March 5

Friday - at Times Union Center in Albany

No. 8 Loyola vs. No. 9 Canisius
No. 7 Iona vs. No. 10 Marist

Saturday - quarterfinals

No. 1 Siena vs. Loyola-Canisius winner
No. 4 Manhattan vs. No. 5 Fairfield
No. 2 Niagara vs. Iona-Marist winner
No. 3 Rider vs. No. 6 Saint Peter's

Sunday - semifinals
Monday, March 9 - Championship

Good bidness boys
pimp.gif

I remember when Bilal did his visit... Akbar said he would be a problem good to see he panned out
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Dont know how old this is or if any of u have seen it but i thought id post it. Pretty fun to watch if....found it on catspause.

Sorry Duke Fans....

Back
Top Bottom