The College Basketball Post

I think Jeff Adrien is overrated and not as good as his numbers, but he could be the difference tonight.

He > Biggs.

Stanley better bring his game tonight to match up with Young tho.

Dar Tucker's windmill oop vs L'Ville
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Originally Posted by allen3xis

I think Jeff Adrien is overrated and not as good as his numbers, but he could be the difference tonight.

He > Biggs.

Stanley better bring his game tonight to match up with Young tho.
Yea I still think Blair will play good, but stopping Young is big. Robinson should be able to D him up and contain.

I like the Uconn guards still without Dyson.

Uconn by 10.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

INDIANAPOLIS - Hinkle Fieldhouse is one of those places you have to go if you are a big-time college hoops fan. The aura in the place is really cool and it's like turning back the clock 50 years.

The scariest facet about watching 15th-ranked Butler last night is that nearly the entire team will remain together for the next two seasons.

There's not a single senior on the team and just one junior who sees time - glue-guy Willie Veasley.

Stevens has sophomore big man Matt Howard, one of the truly underrated players in the country, for two more years. He'll also watch the development of three freshmen starters that have made an immediate impact - Gordon Hayward, Shelvin Mack and Ronald Nored.

``We could have a good team for the next couple of years," second-year coach Brad Stevens admitted.

That's why Stevens, who remains my frontrunner for National Coach of the Year after losing four starters off last season's 30-win, second-round NCAA tournament team, won't jump for a bad job.

Stevens is an Indiana kid and loves it at Butler - where he is looking to try and establish a Gonzaga-esque environment if possible in terms of sustained success in a non-BCS league.

Plus, he has to learn a thing or two after watching his former boss, Todd Lickliter, struggle in his two seasons at Iowa.

His name comes shortly after Hansbrough, Harangody and Harden on the Wooden Midseason List of the nation's top 30 players.

Matt Howard.

Trust me. He belongs.

Howard and Hayward should be the Co-Horizon Players of the Year. Howard plays about as hard and tough as any player I've seen all season. Yes, that included North Carolina's Tyler Hansbrough.

``I have to play that way because I'm as big or as quick," Howard said.

Howard, who admitted he's probably about 6-foot-6 ½ without sneakers, said getting pounded on by four older brothers, chose Butler because of "a feeling" and also due to the fact he would likely be able to play a larger role in the Horizon rather than the Big Ten (Purdue and Indiana both offered scholarships).

Howard can score in the post, passes extremely well out of the double-team and is a relentless rebounder. His numbers (12.9 ppg, 6.8 rpg) don't begin to tell the story of his impact.

Howard watched his four fellow starters from last season's team depart - including the terrific backcourt of Mike Green and A.J. Graves.

``To be honest, at the end of last season, I thought we might have a tough year this season," Howard admitted. "But then I saw the freshmen in open gym and realized how athletic they were and how much they could do on the court."

``That's when I didn't doubt it anymore," he added. ``But I was definitely thinking it might be a rebuilding year before I started seeing them play."
pimp.gif

kiddin just shed a little tear after reading that..
laugh.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
@ Tim Floyd saying he wants Obama to get involved to letcoaches have freedom of speech

Prime Time Shootout: Day One Rundown Premium Story
Scott Got Defensive
642255.jpg

By Dave Telep
National Recruiting Director
Posted Feb 15, 2009

TRENTON, N.J. The Oak Hill Warriors improved to 33-0. A complete team effort helped them take down St. Pat's. Meanwhile, it was Rice's Durand Scottwith the defensive effort and the day's most complete game by a wing.

Lance Stephenson, SF, Lincoln: Give him a lot of credit because in the first half he was a beast inside and got exactly zero calls inside. This wasn't histop scoring game by any means. However, he continued to take a beating (and dish some punishment out along the way) inside. Lincoln, which played last night,didn't look like it had much in the tank.

Durand Scott, SG, Rice: One of the more prideful defenders in his class. Forget the offense, he'll find a road map for that based on what Miami needs outof him. He's the rare wing whose defense fuels his offense (he did catch fire in the second half). Against Rancocas Valley, Scott eliminated Americansignee Mike Bersch and took great pride in his assignment. Bersch got four triples on him but two came from deeper than Scott was willing to guard him.Hard-playing New Yorker whom we think measures success in the win column, not the stats page.

Dominic Cheek, SF/SG, St. Anthony: Got off to a strong start for the Friars as his jumper fed his rebound and overall game. The senior wing dumped 23 onHotchkiss and looked solid doing it. His points came within the flow of the game and he did work inside the arc.

2010 Checklist

Doron Lamb, SG, Oak Hill: Steve Smith got a team effort with contributions from everyone who played against St. Pat's. Lamb, well, they needed him badly.Maybe the most crucial play of the game came when Lamb got an off balance offensive rebound and tough stickback to end the third quarter. Minutes later hestroked a triple and manned up with a strong inside hit late. His 15 points were crucial as were 15 from Glenn Bryant, free throws from Pe'Shon Howard anda BIG TIME dunk off an offensive board from Bryon Allen.

Devon Collier, PF, St. Anthony's: This is a guy to watch. Collier has solid ball skills, a frame that will fill out nicely and he was tremendous on theglass against Hotchkiss. Gets out and runs, knows his way around inside and will face and attack. There's a lot to like long term and right now. The bet isthat he continues to emerge and grinds it out this spring while winning his share of admirers.

Collier Aces Big Test

Darius Quarles, SF, Life Center: St. Joe's has itself a good player and a nice prospect. At least 6-6, he's a perimeter small forward. He knocked downa mid-range jumper that sounded off a whistle he's a good prospect. Would like to see more work on the glass but he's a good one in the A-10 andhe's in position to make another jump with his game once he gains much-needed strength.

Brendan Frazier, SG, Loughlin: One of the day's revelations. He's 6-2 and wafer thin BUT he's tough and gets buckets. Can shoot it behind the lineand in Pinkston's absence he accepted the team's role of primary scorer and relished the chance to get it done. Confident and hungry to get hoops butshots came within framework of team concept. Frazier finished with 36 points in his breakout 2009 game.

Kadeem Jack, PF/C, Rice: Word is he's progressively improving and if Saturday was any indication the big boys will need to start a file on him. Pushing6-8, he's an active rejector and when they dumped it to him he scored in the post. Lots to work with at both ends and his motor runs high and hard. Jackscored 15 for the winners.

Jordin Mayes, SG, Westchester: His shooting touch was the reason the Comets got out to a lead and eventually staved off Lincoln. Mayes dropped 31 points onLincoln and that was all she wrote. He connected on five 3-pointers.

Aishon White, SG, Union: Like him as a prospect who can get shots and create. He didn't start for Union and came off the bench. His attempts weren'tfalling though as a prospect, you see the talent. He'll be recruited at the high mid-major level to begin the summer. White waited too long to hit theaccelerator and Union came up short.

Jason Morris, SF, Hotchkiss: You know you're a good athlete when you drive, get cut off and then improvise with an off-hand runner. Morris has all kinds ofathletic traits and a strong frame. Wasn't his night or Hotchkiss against the Friars. Word on the street is that Morris is playing with cracked ribs.

Kyrie Irving, SG/PG, St. Patrick's: Rough night for the Celtics wing man. He shot 4-for-14 from the field. However, he took good shots, got in the paint asneeded. Irving couldn't get one to go down. However, he can get to the rim when it's required. Irving finished with 7 points.

Michael Gilchrist, SF, St. Patrick's: Possibly the nation's best sophomore, Gilchrist - again - emptied his tank. He gave Oak Hill 31 points and 11rebounds and he earned every one of them. In a game that meant so much, it clearly mattered to him and from an evaluation and competitive standpoint, the factthat he was emotional following the game tells you all you need to know about how he's wired up.

Sidiki Johnson, PF, St. Ray's - He's 6-foot-7 now so you hope he adds and inch or two. Plays bigger with his length as a shot blocker and showing signson offense. Like he goes for rebounds out of his area and comes away with them. He's tracking like he'll play in one of the big conferences. Finishedwith nine points and 11 rebounds.

Myck Kabongo, PG, St. Benedict's: Came off the bench against Mountain State. Immediately tried to take a charge. Getting really adept at the drive andpitch. Can get his shot as needed.

Bob Huggins, coming off a big Friday win, was front and center for sophomore Sidiki Johnson at noon on Saturday. … He's something we didn't know:Vander Joaquim is at a junior college at the College of Eastern Utah. He's sitting out this year and focusing on his academics. …

Life Center was without junior guard Dion Waiters who is still injured and not ready to play. … Loughlin was minus Jayvaughn Pinkston who reportedly isacademically ineligible. …

Big day for St. Bene's coach Dan Hurley. Chalk up No. 200 in the win column. …

Binghamton added small forward Dylan Talley. He's a decent athlete who can score the ball and likes contact. … Loquacious sophomore big man Steele Davis(Our Savior) plays his area, rebounds and scores when he gets his hands on it around the hoop. … Tyreak Johnson played more off the ball today and had four big3s. … Lincoln's James Padgett stood inside, collected boards and got himself 23 points worth of stickbacks. …

When you're a young guy looking to make a great impression, do what Rice's Kadeem Jack did. Every time a shot went up he was looking for a boxout. …Mountain State's Deniz Kilicli owns a Big East body. He'll take care of his space and hit cutters and teammates because he's a good passer. Wouldlike to see that touch inside soften up. … Aaron Brown of St. Bene's had one of his best efforts. Ultimate jack-of-all-trades 3-man with some toughness.He'll be a guy the mids really covet. …

Derrick Wilson has the look of the next Truck Bryant. He's a power lead guard and he's strong as a bull. … Noticed something with Jason Morris'jumper on Saturday. Every now and then he'll pull his guide hand off the ball when he's shooting. It happens more often if he's on the move to thebasket and isn't set. … There was a sequence in the second half where Dexter Stickland's extra passes and hoops with contact nearly kicked it over thetop for St. Pat's. He had 9 points. … Keith Gallon's body looks great. We had him with eight points and 10 boards. …

St. Ray's Tyreak Johnson is being evaluated by Manhattan, Holy Cross, FDU, Coastal Carolina, Colgate and St. Peter's. … It's early for SidikiJohnson and he's in the infancy stages of seeing who likes him. Some of the names that he rattled off: West Virginia, Memphis, Pittsburgh, Tennessee,Indiana, Wake Forest and North Carolina State. … Branden Frazier hears from South Carolina, Rutgers, Siena and Kansas State. …

Kadeem Jacks rattled off Pittsburgh, Seton Hall and Rutgers thus far. … When Shaquille Thomas puts the pieces together he's going to be a strong player. Heuses his dribble and athleticism to slide into his shots and sooner than later they'll begin falling for him. … St. Bene's Mike Poole said Marquette ison him the hardest and he speaks with Kansas frequently. UConn, Seton Hall, Florida and West Virginia have been in touch. …

Jordin Mayes said Colorado, San Diego and Washington State are recruiting him like that must sign him. They're chasing him as a point, which he'll playthis summer. … Mountain State junior Justin Drummond doesn't have offers but has heard from George Mason, Harvard and Pepperdine. … Devon Collier will havehis pick one day. Right now, Villanova, UConn, St. John's, Seton Hall, Louisville, Syracuse and Memphis are glad to be on the list. …

Head Coaches: Bob Huggins, West Virginia; Jay Wright, Villanova.

Assistant Coach: West Virginia, St. John's, Rutgers, Miami, Connecticut, Seton Hall, Villanova, Virginia Tech.

Prime Time Shootout: Day Two Rundown Premium Story
Mouph Yarou
642592.jpg

By Dave Telep
National Recruiting Director
Posted Feb 16, 2009

TRENTON, N.J. The main event took place Saturday at the Prime Time Shootout. However, a few seniors popped up big Sunday afternoon efforts, including futureWildcat Mouphtauo Yarou.

Mouphtauo Yarou, C, Montrose: When the decked gets reshuffled, don't be surprised if this big fella is Villanova's highest-rated recruit. All of6-foot-9, his body will be a problem for the Big East bigs not named Thabett and Blair (if they're still around). Likes to use the glass and you aren'tgetting the ball out of those mitts. If it's a 50-50 rebound, well, he's winning those wrestling matches. We were taken by how hard he runs the floorand the purpose he plays with. Yarou netted 21 and 14 rebounds.

Sean Johnson, SG, CTK: If you're available and on the big stage, might as well have a good one. He demonstrated a competitive fire to go with his jump shotthat went down. He's a super candidate for a mid-major wing spot this spring. Johnson dropped 38 points against Elizabeth.

Raymond Cintron, SG, Carmel Sol: He caught fire before the end of the first half and ripped off four 3-pointers in a few minutes. Streaky guy, strong body.Might be able to steal a few minutes as a backup point but his strength is smoking 3s and that's what his DNA is: shooter. Finished with 22 points.

Ryan McCoy, PG/SF, Montgomery: At worst he'll be an Ivy League special. Fun kid to watch at 6-foot-4. Rail thin and in need of supersizing it, he runs thepoint. Went low and strong-armed a hoop too. If you're a mid, you put him on the radar just in case because of his overall skill set.

Justin Anderson, SF/SG, Montrose: This is his first season though it seems like he's already a seasoned veteran. What can you expect when you see him?He's a high-energy wing player with exciting athleticism. Vocal as a freshman, his intentions are to make an impact on the game when inserted. Physically,he's not your typical freshman so immediately he stands out. Extremely talented and he can do exceptional things at the rim.

CTK sophomore point man Corey Edwards has a chance to be a really good player in college. He's a touch risky with his passes or at least was today. On theother hand, he's 5-11 and doesn't think anyone can check him, which is admirable! Kid makes plays and pushes the tempo. …

Carmen Sol from Puerto Rico had a forward Xavier Zambrano and a guard Raymond Citron are Division I guys. Citron busts 3s and is a streaky guy. Zambrano guardsbigs, plays with energy and faces and goes. … Oak Hill was led by Glenn Bryant's big time jam off an offensive rebound and Tiny Gallon's nimble workaround the cup. It wasn't even close. Close after a half, the Warriors blew it out in the second. …

Sean Johnson has Quinnipiac, Houston, Manhattan, LaSalle, Coastal Carolina and Robert Morris checking him. …

Head Coaches: Tom Moore, Quinnipiac; Bill Coen, Northeastern.

Maryland. Assistant Coach: Columbia, Virginia Tech, Fairfield, Villanova, LaSalle, Rutgers. Scout.com had a plane to catch and missed the final three games

All I can do is shake my head when I read that. My brother live come to regret that decision for a long time.
^ It isn't too late.

You better beat some sense into that boy.
Yes it is. He's a moron and hardheaded. If he gets into Miami as an undergrad I hope that he considers walking on. He's friends with bothMalcolm Grant and Durand so maybe they can help him shape his game a little bit more.

Pitt over UCONN??....thats what i think...might lay some $$ on 'em

Originally Posted by Juicy J 32

I've grown to dislike Hansbrough over this past season.

He takes the dumbest shots, refuses to pass out of double and triple teams, isn't as good of a rebounder as he has been in the past, and just has an incredibly ugly game.

However, I appreciate that he plays hard and can draw non-flopping charges at big points in the game.
QFT

My friends always claim I'm not a real UNC fan because I don't like Psycho T. I'm glad he hustles and plays hard but sometimes his selfishness hurts the team.
yea i agree he seems real selfish this season...i'll never forgive him for that 3 he jacked up against wake forest
smh.gif

[table][tr][td]ESPN/USA Today Poll[/td] [/tr][tr][td] 1. Connecticut (30) 24-1 774[/td] [/tr][tr][td] 2. Oklahoma (1) 25-1 739[/td] [/tr][tr][td] 3. North Carolina 23-2 711[/td] [/tr][tr][td] 4. Pittsburgh 23-2 689[/td] [/tr][tr][td] 5. Michigan State 20-4 634[/td] [/tr][tr][td] 6. Memphis 22-3 618[/td] [/tr][tr][td] 7. Louisville 19-5 508[/td] [/tr][tr][td] 8. Wake Forest 19-4 489[/td] [/tr][tr][td] 9. Duke 20-5 468[/td] [/tr][tr][td]10. Missouri 22-4 429[/td] [/tr][tr][td]11. Marquette 21-4 409[/td] [/tr][tr][td]11. Arizona State 20-5 409[/td] [/tr][tr][td]13. Clemson 20-4 393[/td] [/tr][tr][td]14. Villanova 20-5 377[/td] [/tr][tr][td]15. UCLA 19-6 324[/td] [/tr][tr][td]16. Illinois 21-5 294[/td] [/tr][tr][td]17. Xavier 21-4 278[/td] [/tr][tr][td]18. Kansas 20-5 268[/td] [/tr][tr][td]19. Washington 19-6 224[/td] [/tr][tr][td]20. Gonzaga 19-5 191[/td] [/tr][tr][td]21. Purdue 19-6 176[/td] [/tr][tr][td]22. Butler 22-3 162[/td] [/tr][tr][td]23. Utah State 24-2 121[/td] [/tr][tr][td]24. LSU 21-4 114[/td] [/tr][tr][td]25. Syracuse 19-7 74[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Others Receiving Votes
Dayton 69, Texas 22, Florida State 20, California 16, South Carolina 14, Arizona 13, Brigham Young 13, Ohio State 12, Utah 11, Davidson 5, Saint Mary's 3, Miami (FL) 2, Penn State 1, Tennessee 1.

[/td] [/tr][/table]

Back
Top Bottom