The College Basketball Post

Originally Posted by allen3xis

• The decision by Juan Pattillo to remove his redshirt status has been a great one for Oklahoma. He is averaging 10.3 points, 2.7 boards and 19 minutes a game over the past three games. He's also 12-of-18 from the field and 7-of-7 from the free-throw line. The JC transfer didn't get eligible until August and missed summer conditioning. He was also banged up and wasn't able to practice as much. But he took the redshirt status away before the Texas game Jan. 12. Since then, he has turned into a great find off the bench at both ends of the court.
I said it the other day but this dude is really helping that team in a lot of ways. Major injection of talent.

Butler and Davidson?
sick.gif

That may be the most annoying matchup conceivable to me personally.

Why would you redshirt if you're Ginyard? It makes absolutely no sense. He is nowhere near an NBA caliber player, so it can't be for draft stock. Thisis his only chance to win a chip.
I think dude really does enjoy campus life too much, cause like Juicy said, you can see him out on Franklin or Rosemary EVERY night.

This really makes me think that Zoller is going to redshirt as well.

Our hopes of winning a national title rest on the shoulders of Wayne "Big Game Ghost" Ellington
smh.gif

[h4] [/h4][table][tr][td]
[/td] [td] [h1]Projecting the Field[/h1] [table][tr][td]By Jerry Palm
Special to CBSSports.com[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][/table][h4]
[/h4][h4][font=Arial, Helvetica]The Seeds[/font][/h4][table][tr][td]
[table][tr][td]Midwest[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1
16[/td] [td]North Carolina
Morgan State[/td] [td]Greensboro
March 19, 21[/td] [td]Indianapolis
March 27, 29[/td] [/tr][tr][td]8
9[/td] [td]Illinois
Dayton[/td] [/tr][tr][td]4
13[/td] [td]Kansas
Northern Iowa[/td] [td]Portland
March 19, 21[/td] [/tr][tr][td]5
12[/td] [td]Villanova
USC[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2
15[/td] [td]Michigan State
Weber State[/td] [td]Minneapolis
March 20, 22[/td] [/tr][tr][td]7
10[/td] [td]Florida
Baylor[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3
14[/td] [td]Marquette
American[/td] [td]Miami
March 20, 22[/td] [/tr][tr][td]6
11[/td] [td]Arizona State
Boston College[/td] [/tr][/table]
[/td] [td]
finalsicon.gif
[/td] [td]
[table][tr][td]South[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Memphis
March 27, 29[/td] [td]Kansas City
March 19, 21[/td] [td]Oklahoma
Oral Roberts[/td] [td]1
16[/td] [/tr][tr][td]California
Virginia Tech[/td] [td]8
9[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Boise
March 20, 22[/td] [td]Purdue
W. Kentucky[/td] [td]4
13[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Syracuse
San Diego State[/td] [td]5
12[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Philadelphia
March 19, 21[/td] [td]Pittsburgh
VMI[/td] [td]2
15[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Ohio State
Texas A&M[/td] [td]7
10[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Miami
March 20, 22[/td] [td]Clemson
Buffalo[/td] [td]3
14[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Butler
Siena[/td] [td]6
11[/td] [/tr][/table]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[table][tr][td]West[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1
16[/td] [td]Louisville
Long Beach/
Alabama State[/td] [td]Dayton
March 20, 22[/td] [td]Glendale
March 26, 28[/td] [/tr][tr][td]8
9[/td] [td]South Carolina
Utah State[/td] [/tr][tr][td]4
13[/td] [td]Gonzaga
VCU[/td] [td]Boise
March 20, 22[/td] [/tr][tr][td]5
12[/td] [td]UCLA
Oklahoma State[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2
15[/td] [td]Wake Forest
E. Tenn. St.[/td] [td]Dayton
March 20, 22[/td] [/tr][tr][td]7
10[/td] [td]West Virginia
Utah[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3
14[/td] [td]Texas
Albany[/td] [td]Kansas City
March 19, 21[/td] [/tr][tr][td]6
11[/td] [td]Minnesota
LSU[/td] [/tr][/table]
[/td] [td]
[table][tr][td]East[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Boston
March 26, 28[/td] [td]Philadelphia
March 19, 21[/td] [td]Connecticut
Robert Morris[/td] [td]1
16[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Davidson
Florida State[/td] [td]8
9[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Portland
March 19, 21[/td] [td]Washington
Stephen F. Austin[/td] [td]4
13[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Memphis
Northwestern[/td] [td]5
12[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Greensboro
March 19, 21[/td] [td]Duke
Tenn.-Martin[/td] [td]2
15[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Missouri
Georgetown[/td] [td]7
10[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Minneapolis
March 20, 22[/td] [td]Xavier
Cornell[/td] [td]3
14[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Tennessee
UNLV[/td] [td]6
11[/td] [/tr][/table]
[/td] [/tr][/table][font=Arial, Helvetica]Last four in: LSU, Northwestern, San Diego State, USC
Last four out: BYU, Penn State, Providence, Wisconsin
[/font][h4][font=Arial, Helvetica]Quick Breakdown[/font][/h4][table][tr][td]Conference[/td] [td]Bids[/td] [td]Conference[/td] [td]Bids[/td] [td]Conference[/td] [td]Bids[/td] [td]Conference[/td] [td]Bids[/td] [/tr][tr][td]ACC[/td] [td]7[/td] [td]Big 12[/td] [td]7[/td] [td]MEAC[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]Southern[/td] [td]1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]America East[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]Big West[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]Missouri Valley[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]Southland[/td] [td]1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Atlantic Sun[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]Colonial[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]Mountain West[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]Summit[/td] [td]1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Atlantic 10[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]C-USA[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]Northeast[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]Sun Belt[/td] [td]1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Big East[/td] [td]8[/td] [td]Horizon[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]Ohio Valley[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]SWAC[/td] [td]1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Big Sky[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]Ivy[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]Pac-10[/td] [td]5[/td] [td]WAC[/td] [td]1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Big South[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]MAAC[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]Patriot[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]West Coast[/td] [td]2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Big Ten[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]MAC[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]SEC[/td] [td]4[/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][/table]

Originally Posted by blazinjkid

Why would you redshirt if you're Ginyard? It makes absolutely no sense. He is nowhere near an NBA caliber player, so it can't be for draft stock. This is his only chance to win a chip.
I think dude really does enjoy campus life too much, cause like Juicy said, you can see him out on Franklin or Rosemary EVERY night.

This really makes me think that Zoller is going to redshirt as well.

Our hopes of winning a national title rest on the shoulders of Wayne "Big Game Ghost" Ellington
smh.gif
Ginyard isn't gonna be 100% healthy until at least the ACC tourney. If then.

Whats the sense in wasting a year? Your SR year at that?

But what is he going to accomplish next season? It's not like dude is gonna start dropping 20 a game, he's a role player. The team will be nowhere nearas good, and definitely not in the national championship picture. This is his last chance.

Maybe it's just me, but if I had nothing to really gain by red shirting, I'd rather only play in the postseason and possibly help win a nationalchampionship, rather than sitting out to play on an inferior squad for an entire season next year.

It's a matter of quality > quantity. Yeah, he'll get a whole extra season, but next year will be nowhere near as important as this year.

Originally Posted by blazinjkid

But what is he going to accomplish next season? It's not like dude is gonna start dropping 20 a game, he's a role player. The team will be nowhere near as good, and definitely not in the national championship picture. This is his last chance.

Maybe it's just me, but if I had nothing to really gain by red shirting, I'd rather only play in the postseason and possibly help win a national championship, rather than sitting out to play on an inferior squad for an entire season next year.

It's a matter of quality > quantity. Yeah, he'll get a whole extra season, but next year will be nowhere near as important as this year.
He's still ON the team this year with a redshirt... it's not like he won't be there with all his guys.. who's to say what role heeven has if he does come back that late into the season, when rotations are all but figured out entirely... he may end up hurting the team more than helpingjust by coming back and forcing an extra body to get time again.

Considering he doesn't really have high NBA potential, college ball is all he may have left... you wouldn't want one more year playing for one of themost historic programs in history? i know i would.

[table][tr][td]Ginyard Q&A[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
638458.jpg

[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[table][tr][td]
By http://search.scout.com/a...mp;search=1&sskey="' + escape('Greg Barnes') + '%22&sssiteid=78';">Greg Barnes

Inside Carolina
Posted Feb 3, 2009
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. -- North Carolina announced on Tuesday that forward/guard Marcus Ginyard would seek a medical red-shirt this season due to lingering problems with his injured left foot. The senior spoke to reporters following the win over Maryland.
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[table][tr][td]Inside Carolina audio is available to IC premium subscribers. To listen, you'll need an updated version of Windows Media Player - click here to download the software.[/td] [/tr][/table]MARCUS GINYARD
31_ah-1.GIF
http://northcarolina.scou...Video=audio&playlist=' + escape('http://northcarolina.scou...?s=78&mediaids=638451'))">Listen to Audio (9:29)

Opening comments:
"The decision was very tough for me, not easy at all dealing with a lot of different things that we had to talk about in discussing this and making this decision. I think the coaching staff, my family and I have come to the decision that ultimately is going to be best for me. I guess at this point we're just excited about challenge that I have ahead of me. I'm just excited to get back healthy again and to be able to practice again and to get out there with my teammates and be able to help them get to goals that we originally planned on this year."

Have the doctors told you what is wrong with your foot?
"They have not figured out what is wrong. I don't think that there is anything necessarily wrong. It's just not healing as quickly as we would like it to. More surgery has not been discussed at this point, and I'm praying that it won't ever be discussed. But at this point, it's still painful. I guess you could blame it on scar tissue or damage tissue and maybe that this is just the best that it's going to get. But we're hoping that it's going to get better, and I guess that's really all we know right now."

Do you regret having surgery?
"I don't regret having surgery. I wish I was never faced with the decision to have to have surgery, but I think that surgery was the right thing to do. Had I not had surgery, I could have just had surgery last week. The bone was definitely breaking. It was weak and it definitely needed some structural help."

What was the tipping point in you making this decision?
"Just weighing the options and looking at the situation in front of us, we just felt like this is the best decision for me as a player. At the end of the day, I still have to do what's best for me. I almost felt like if I were to continue to play on it at this point that I wouldn't be 100 percent and to be out there not at 100 percent I would feel like I was cheating my teammates, and that would be even worse of a feeling."

Are there any certain movements more painful than others?
"Definitely my lateral movements. That was one of things that was a concern for me. Running straight ahead was okay, and on the offensive end, I felt like I could get through some of the plays without making as sharp of cuts as I normally would. But on the defensive end, there's just no getting around having to move laterally. That was definitely what was causing me the most pain."

This team has now lost three players. How do you see your teammates rallying through this?
"I think is an excellent opportunity to show what type of character this Carolina basketball team has. There is no doubt that every national championship team has had to overcome some type obstacle. There are a lot of things that happen throughout the year with injuries and everything is not going to go your way and every championship team has been able to find a way to get through those things and to persevere.

"If anything, this is the most perfect situation for this team right now to be able to look at something so negative, but this is a great opportunity for everyone to step up and for this team to pull together and for this team to work even harder. It will be even better when this team gets to where they want to be and reaches their goals even through all of this."
[/td] [/tr][/table]---------------------------------------------------------------------
That pretty much sums up his reasoning.

Looking more into this I like the fact that Roy has crop of players to work with and I can see Ty, Wayne, and Danny all getting more PT. This could be a reallygood thing for us as they are our best players, but if any one of them get in foul trouble or god forbid they all do, we would be toast.

Zeller went to the doctor today so a decision about his future this season could come soon. Hopefully he will be healthy enough to come back at some point inMarch.

Originally Posted by JamesOnNT

Why do you want Zeller to come back and waste a year of eligibility?

because they can use him and need him for March. it's Hans' last season...is Elligton a sr? the time is now for the Tar Heels.

Ellington is a Jr.

And Zeller isn't bringing anything amazing to the table .. UNC can still win a chip without him playing so it would be smart for Roy to have him as froshnext year with Henson and Strickland and everyone else they got coming in.

#19 Minnesota @ #13 Michigan State tonight..
58536c39171b840f5b0ce21446e9bb97b100a52f.gif
84d367a318ed881d5682eede4be2b6d8c45e6304.gif

Should be a huge test to see how good the Gophers actually are..there have been times this season where they seemed like one of the elites (wins @Wisconsin and Illinois) and times where we seemed like a pretender (loss @ Northwestern
sick.gif
) so I'm sure I'll have a better outlook of my team after tonightsgame..

And Zeller isn't bringing anything amazing to the table .. UNC can still win a chip without him playing so it would be smart for Roy to have him as frosh next year with Henson and Strickland and everyone else they got coming in.
i agree...but UNC isn't in a situation in which they need to "save" talent so to speak.

I cant believe UK has only 1, i repeat 1 person who can actually shoot a jump shot....Why is michael porter on the court at all? He doesnt play good D, heturns it over, he doesnt get the offense going, and when teams sag off of him 6 feet, he pump fakes???? #%%? If u aint gonna shoot go sit down....and DariusMiller the same way, we need him badly to start scoring atleast 10ppg the rest of the way, but he has to shoot EVERYTIME someone sags off of him and gives himthe 3....If we dont beat Florida tuesday....the idiot UK fans are def gonna be calling for BGs head....If Pat and Meeks stay, and we have problems next year,then something is wrong because we should be a top 10 team next year without question.

Porter sucks. Ramon Harris, as much as i like the dude, he sucks too. Miller's gonna be good, he get better every game. Liggins is getting better too.

i'm just glad i'm a patient person. we were 13-10 at this point last season. the transfer of Jasper and Legion have really hurt this year's team. yes, Gillispie recruited Legion, and maybe he's at fault for him transferring, but i'm not mad at BG for landing him when you think about whenGillispie took the UK job. Legion was a nice, quick get at the time.

thru 1 and a half seasons, it would be foolish to judge BG, so i won't. did the same with Rich Brooks.

at least we play with heart, when dudes stop caring, that's when you got problems. we just lack talent...but it's coming...

Syracuse loses tonight to make it four straight. I have a feeling that Ruoff is going to go off tonight and with no legit inside presence, West Virginia willhave their way with the 'Cuse "big men". Rautins is a game time decision and Onuaku is expected to miss this game. If you thought home courtadvantage was a problem at Syracuse it will be non-existent tonight. Rush for fraternities and sororities is already underway and a good portion of the studentsection will be absent.

Got a few minutes of free time...

A&M about to upset OU tonight
pimp.gif
...Actually, I'm expecting OU to cover the spread (12 points).

Give me all of the home teams tonight, except for Miami (Syracuse over WV, WF over Miami, Providence over Nova, MSU over Minn., OU over A&M, Clemson overDuke, Texas over Mizzou, UCLA over USC)...damn, I didn't realize that list was gonna be so long.

Alright, time to get back off NT...gotta go get ready for Career Night...

Originally Posted by RellNye

Syracuse loses tonight to make it four straight. I have a feeling that Ruoff is going to go off tonight and with no legit inside presence, West Virginia will have their way with the 'Cuse "big men". Rautins is a game time decision and Onuaku is expected to miss this game. If you thought home court advantage was a problem at Syracuse it will be non-existent tonight. Rush for fraternities and sororities is already underway and a good portion of the student section will be absent.
I'm willing to bet $ that 'Cuse takes it tonight..that's if, you're so confident in WV

Evey team that plays UK should play the exact D State played last night, we have nobody, and I mean nobody that can knock down a jump shot besides Meeks, sowhy in the hell would you guard the perimiter against us?
And why does Porter and Harris continue to start everygame? We start every game with a 5 on 3 disadvantage, they are worthless on the court, kinda like Courywas last year.

Syracuse loses tonight to make it four straight. I have a feeling that Ruoff is going to go off tonight and with no legit inside presence, West Virginia will have their way with the 'Cuse "big men". Rautins is a game time decision and Onuaku is expected to miss this game. If you thought home court advantage was a problem at Syracuse it will be non-existent tonight. Rush for fraternities and sororities is already underway and a good portion of the student section will be absent.

That means Jonny should go off.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by JPZx

I'm willing to bet $ that 'Cuse takes it tonight..that's if, you're so confident in WV
If I had bread I'd take you up on that offer but I'm a broke college student who is unemployed.

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

And Zeller isn't bringing anything amazing to the table .. UNC can still win a chip without him playing so it would be smart for Roy to have him as frosh next year with Henson and Strickland and everyone else they got coming in.
i agree...but UNC isn't in a situation in which they need to "save" talent so to speak.

Right , they don't need him on campus five years

Man, Joseph needs to box out.
smh.gif

But Jonny has dropped at least 3 sweet dimes in this game already.
pimp.gif

And Huggins respects Syracuse enough to show up well dressed. No windbreaker tonight baby.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom