The College Basketball Post

I can't stand UVA's style of play but I respect Tony Bennett and the program that he has built there. And he seems like a good dude that cares about his kids.

Congrats to him.
He did the only thing he could do to balance that 1 v 16 loss. Of course nothing will erase that debacle...lol

Are UC fans even upset by this? Think they’ll hire Brannen and be better off
I'm not. Think that some will be, but a lot of people never really liked Cronin due to the tantrums on the court and many still being attached to Huggs even after all these years. He was great at developing guys, but having an offense that was a total eye sore and lackluster tournament play got old. Especially that collapse last year against Nevada. They should've walked into the F4 after the way the bracket opened up.

UCLA hasn’t been a destination job for years.

Cronin is exactly the type of coach I would expect them to get these days.

The irony of the UCLA hire for Logan Johnson who considered Cinci and UCLA now he will be stuck with a new coach on the way into his sophmore year

just got a new perspective on the coaching carousel and how it affects players cold world.

Cronin doesnt help UCLA much imo. Never really developed his guy as a whole

UCLA roster almost resembels Cinci roster both struggle to score

Cronin doesnt help UCLA much imo. Never really developed his guy as a whole
Eh, quite the opposite. He's great at developing kids. Took a 5th year prep school kid like Sean Kilpatrick and got him to All-American level. He isn't recruiting from the same talent pool at Cincinnati that he will be dipping into at UCLA. Will have to see if the offensive struggles come from not recruiting kids who are good offensively, or if he's the root of the program.

Eh, quite the opposite. He's great at developing kids. Took a 5th year prep school kid like Sean Kilpatrick and got him to All-American level. He isn't recruiting from the same talent pool at Cincinnati that he will be dipping into at UCLA. Will have to see if the offensive struggles come from not recruiting kids who are good offensively, or if he's the root of the program.

I disagree, Sean Kilpatrick was one of 5 on the court at any given time that year. Please, give me another, my knock on him is that they are ok defensively but typically below par on the offensive end, this is the case year in and year. Also lets not forget Cinci isnt a mid major program so its not like he is losing guys to a 1 and done scenario.

I just wish I saw more, he will have access to recruits but lets not act like he hasnt already been working the California circuit recruit wise.

USC is the big dawg in town for now and SDSU is number two for the region

I disagree, Sean Kilpatrick was one of 5 on the court at any given time that year. Please, give me another, my knock on him is that they are ok defensively but typically below par on the offensive end, this is the case year in and year. Also lets not forget Cinci isnt a mid major program so its not like he is losing guys to a 1 and done scenario.

I just wish I saw more, he will have access to recruits but lets not act like he hasnt already been working the California circuit recruit wise.

USC is the big dawg in town for now and SDSU is number two for the region
You realize the Cincinnati roster is usually 3 star recruits developed by Cronin, right? He's not landing Top 50 or McDAA level guys, yet he's made it to the dance 9 straight years. This even goes back to playing in the actual Big East, pre-realignment, which was the best conference in basketball. UCLA has MUCH more talent on paper and they haven't done that. They're typically elite defensively, and I agree that the offense isn't good. The question that Cronin will have to answer now is whether the offense is bad because he's recruiting less talented guys, or because he has no idea what to do on offense.

He's not working the California scene on the level that being the HC at UCLA allows you to do. :lol: Logan Johnson was an under the radar kid, who was a late bloomer. He's not competing for big recruits in the LA. And Cincinnati isn't a mid-major historically of course, but that group of 5 distinction really hurts from a funding perspective. He'll have tons of more resources at UCLA. He might not live up to UCLA's expectations, but you're speaking a lot of falsehoods right now.

You realize the Cincinnati roster is usually 3 star recruits developed by Cronin, right? He's not landing Top 50 or McDAA level guys, yet he's made it to the dance 9 straight years. This even goes back to playing in the actual Big East, pre-realignment, which was the best conference in basketball. UCLA has MUCH more talent on paper and they haven't done that. They're typically elite defensively, and I agree that the offense isn't good. The question that Cronin will have to answer now is whether the offense is bad because he's recruiting less talented guys, or because he has no idea what to do on offense.

He's not working the California scene on the level that being the HC at UCLA allows you to do. :lol: Logan Johnson was an under the radar kid, who was a late bloomer. He's not competing for big recruits in the LA. And Cincinnati isn't a mid-major historically of course, but that group of 5 distinction really hurts from a funding perspective. He'll have tons of more resources at UCLA. He might not live up to UCLA's expectations, but you're speaking a lot of falsehoods right now.
I guess we will just agree to disagree. I think his time at UCLA will reveal more about his coaching then anything else.

I stand by this that he is not the answer.

I also disgree with logan being a latebloomer that came out of nowhere haha.

Resources or not cronin aint the guy for UCLA

I guess we will just agree to disagree. I think his time at UCLA will reveal more about his coaching then anything else.

I stand by this that he is not the answer.

I also disgree with logan being a latebloomer that came out of nowhere haha.

Resources or not cronin aint the guy for UCLA
I'm not sure that anything new will be revealed about his coaching. He's been at Cincinnati for 13 years. :lol: People have a pretty good idea of who he is. I'm not sure he'll be the answer for the expectations that UCLA's fanbase has either, but I think there may be a question of what are realistic expectations for UCLA right now? Turned down left and right after having an opening since mid-season. It may not be the job that the fans think it is.

And you can disagree with Johnson being a latebloomer, but he literally had a composite ranking of 392 as of June 2017 and he ended at 193 in August of 2018. He's a late bloomer kid for sure. He rose 200 spots from his junior to senior year. That's not an opinion, that's a fact.

Back
Top Bottom