The College Basketball Post

Originally Posted by allen3xis

I really don't buy that ACC at the top is better than the Big East at the top..

go ahead and match up the 6 teams.
Allen, the only reason I am doing this is because you asked, and I realized I didn't know the top 6 Big East teams. Here we go:

Duke
Wake
V.Tech
Carolina
Clemson
BC

Marquette
L'ville
UConn
Pitt
Providence
Nova

The surprises have to be VT, BC, and Providence. I'll bet at the outset no one saw those three being this high right now.

Allen, the only reason I am doing this is because you asked, and I realized I didn't know the top 6 Big East teams. Here we go:

Duke
Wake
V.Tech
Carolina
Clemson
BC

Marquette
L'ville
UConn
Pitt
Providence
Nova

The surprises have to be VT, BC, and Providence. I'll bet at the outset no one saw those three being this high right now.

Originally Posted by henz0

3b36ff2f-bdf0-4331-9c15-fc172ed13f81.jpg
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Light triple double last night.. 20-13-10
He should just bounce after this year cause my boy Kenny about to come in and wreck %*#* for the gators

Originally Posted by henz0

3b36ff2f-bdf0-4331-9c15-fc172ed13f81.jpg
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Light triple double last night.. 20-13-10
He should just bounce after this year cause my boy Kenny about to come in and wreck %*#* for the gators

We played the worst defense I have ever seen. The team is so stupid. Like Devo having 8 turnovers and Harris skipping practice 2 days this week.

They just don't have it. I have given up on thinking teams just make everything. We just leave guys so open. We need Rautins back ASAP. Like Allen, I justwant in the tournament.

I am surprised G'Town is doing this. I thought they were top 15.

Wake is becoming my favorite team to watch. Teague Aminu Johnson
pimp.gif

We played the worst defense I have ever seen. The team is so stupid. Like Devo having 8 turnovers and Harris skipping practice 2 days this week.

They just don't have it. I have given up on thinking teams just make everything. We just leave guys so open. We need Rautins back ASAP. Like Allen, I justwant in the tournament.

pimp.gif

pimp.gif

pimp.gif

pimp.gif

pimp.gif

pimp.gif

pimp.gif

pimp.gif

pimp.gif

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by duke4005

allen3xis wrote:

Duke
Wake
V.Tech
Carolina
Clemson
BC

Marquette
L'ville
UConn
Pitt
Providence
Nova

I'll take the Big East's Top 6. Still not sold on Duke, especially if you match them up with a BE team with an inside presence.

i was sayin the top 3 from each, not 6.

6 total

cause everyone says the ACC is so great at the top...I don't buy that UNC/Duke/Wake is better than Uconn/Pitt/Ville

6 total

cause everyone says the ACC is so great at the top...I don't buy that UNC/Duke/Wake is better than Uconn/Pitt/Ville
I agree.

McAdoo Enjoying Big Year; Three Stick Out Premium Story
James McAdoo
567921.jpg

By Evan Daniels
Recruiting Analyst
Posted Jan 29, 2009

James McAdoo was one of the biggest surprises last spring. Now he's a household name on the high school basketball scene and has high major suitors.

This time last year James McAdoo didn't have any college interest. Now, the 6-foot-8, 205-pound power forward is being targeted by the nation' best.

McAdoo said his July was among the many reasons he sprung to the top of many programs 2011 recruiting board. But it was as the Boo Williams Invitational last April, where he announced himself as a player.

Playing with Boo Williams 15's for the first time, McAdoo showed off an impressive skill set, ran the floor and had the look of a future high major power forward. And that continued for the rest of the summer.

Now in the midst of his sophomore season at Norfolk (Va.) Christian, McAdoo is dominating the competition and averaging an impressive 26 points and 12 rebounds, while his team sits 12-3 and 7th in the state.

"It's a lot tougher [this year]," McAdoo said. "I've been getting box and 1's, traps and a lot of different defenses. Mostly they just key on me, which opens it up for other guys on my team, but I'm managing though."

"Last year I think I really tried to force it and put everything on myself, but this year we have a lot of good players and I can really just play my game," he said. "Coach allows me to dribble the ball and I can take the ball down the court some."

A number of college programs have made their way for Norfolk to evaluate the five-star prospect. Although it's early and he hasn't cut any schools, McAdoo said he does have preferences.

"As of right now I wouldn't say I'm ruling any schools out, but I don't talk to a Virginia Tech as much as I might talk to a Florida," McAdoo said. "A lot of schools might be starting to back off because they know they don't have a chance."

Among the schools in the mix are North Carolina, Florida, Texas, Georgetown, Clemson, UCLA and Wake Forest. With the Tigers, Hoyas, Demon Deacons and Gators having already offered a scholarship.

"As far as right now, the ones I talk to the most are Florida, North Carolina and Texas," McAdoo said. "I probably talk to those three the most."

He's taken trips to Carolina, Wake Forest, Duke, Florida and Georgetown. Thus far he's been to UNC the most.

"It's a lot easier to go down there," McAdoo said. "I think I've been down there three times. I don't know if I'm closest with their coaching staff, but I talk to them a lot."

It's still early in the recruiting process for McAdoo. So his plan for now is to get to know the coaches and take it from there.

"I just want to try and keep in touch with the coaches, but at this point I haven't really made it a priority to call them after every game," McAdoo said. "One of my coaches talks to them a lot and he handles a lot of that stuff."

"I'll definitely call some of them, like coach Shaka Smart from Florida and coach Robinson from UNC and then the coaches from Texas," he continued.

The sophomore standout is juggling his high school season with recruiting, but he said he's not stressing out about it.

"I just want to build a relationship with the coaches, but it hasn't really overwhelmed me," McAdoo said. "I'm just taking it one day at a time."

laugh.gif
He said a lot of schools are backing off because they know they don't have a chance. Usually don't hear that said in an interview, but I like thathe was bold enough to say that. He's related to Bob McAdoo right? I think someone on this board said that earlier? You have to like UNC's chances withthis one.

6 total

My bad. Misread it. And even though I am a HUGE Duke fan (1986, Dallas, Dawkins, I was 12), if they depend on that freaking stiff Zoubek for"inside presence", they are done. I think out of those 6, Wake and UConn are the best. I was not sold on Wake after watching them against Baylor, butafter they went and won at BYU, they really came together. I am still not sold on Pitt or L'Ville. I don't know why, they just seem to not have that"something" winning teams have.

Just blows my mind a guy who made the tournament last year got fired while the guy coaching in Queens has had 1 winning season (1 game over 500) and recievedan extension in the off season
indifferent.gif

But see, i feel as though people fail to realize that in a league such as the BIG EAST, the bottom half more often that not, is as good if not better than the middle tier teams of other conferences. I mean somebody has to lose and unfortunately, it will be the Rutgers and Seton Halls. I wholly believe, however, that these "pathetic" Big East teams would perform exceptionally well, relative to their current performance levels, were they to compete in other leagues like the Pac-10 of Big-12.

I mean just look at the preseason stats. Some of the weaker teams from the Big East put up solid performances and wins over prominent programs in other leagues. Furthermore, consider that some of the weaklings often times "upset" supposedly elite programs within the league. That alone should convince you of the potential of these teams. I honestly believe that the weaklings of the Big East could easily top their counterparts from the other leagues.
Wrong - this is the same mentality people try to use with SEC football, claiming that these teams at the bottom are miles better than everyoneelses middle.

RPI helps us out a ton here in sorting through that hyperbole crap - i'll use kenpom, who i feel has a slightly better but similar formula to place teamsbased on who they've played and how they faired.

Code:
South Florida             7-13    2-6      .7073/97      105.7/100   97.9/117   63.6/301    .7783/2     .6495/64 St. John's               11-9     2-6      .6001/128      99.9/177   96.4/89    68.2/128    .5495/128   .2401/340Seton Hall               10-9     1-6      .7081/96      109.1/59   101.0/177   69.8/68     .6531/44    .3710/288Rutgers                   9-11    0-7      .5241/153     100.8/162  100.0/155   65.6/227    .5411/140   .2679/330DePaul                    8-13    0-8      .4524/175      99.2/189  100.9/172   67.2/160    .6352/52    .4412/230Those are the bottom 5 teams, and as you can see, they are ranked from 96-175 in terms of their statistical ranking based on level of opponents and their winning %. Comparing that to the big ten, for isntance - Michigan St.             16-3     6-1      .9349/21      116.4/12    92.3/44    68.2/123    .7353/7     .6202/89 Purdue                   16-4     5-2      .9499/15      108.3/71    83.9/5     68.5/116    .6070/78    .4009/266Illinois                 17-3     5-2      .9439/17      110.0/55    86.1/8     64.1/282    .5978/85    .4354/237Minnesota                17-3     5-3      .8530/51      110.0/54    94.4/65    66.6/186    .6125/73    .3935/276Penn St.                 16-5     5-3      .8106/67      110.8/44    97.6/112   64.5/263    .4876/193   .2646/332Ohio St.                 14-5     4-4      .8679/46      107.4/79    91.2/35    64.3/273    .6526/45    .4661/212Michigan                 14-7     4-5      .7936/76      111.2/39    98.9/138   64.9/248    .6660/34    .4795/198Wisconsin                12-8     3-5      .8827/40      114.4/22    96.0/82    61.3/328    .7450/6     .6117/95 Northwestern             11-7     3-5      .8321/60      107.7/78    93.7/57    63.3/304    .6590/39    .4285/243Iowa                     12-8     2-5      .7918/77      108.7/66    96.8/100   58.8/342    .5947/88    .4282/245Indiana                   5-14    0-7      .3683/213      93.9/273   98.4/124   67.5/149    .7629/5     .6805/50 As you can see, with the exception of indiana who is a true outlier, there's not a single team in the top 10 outside of the top 77, while the big east has 5 teams 97+. These numbers factor in all the games played this year against all opponents, and their opponents' opponents... so there's no bias here. What you are actually seeing when a team like Seton Hall plays well against the better teams in the big east is not how strong the bottom of the conf. is, rather, how being near the top doesn't automatically make you a superb team like everyone assumes. Yes there is talent in the BE, I won't deny that.  But i think some of you guys get caught up in the allure of the BE just like SEC football fans.  I pointed out last year how few teams the BE actually has put in the final four the last 10 years and it's pretty pathetic for all the hype you guys give them. It's like 5 squads in 11 years now, or 5 out of 44 chances.  The hype just doesn't fit, and i'll spend my time fighting it i guess.

Back
Top Bottom