The College Basketball Post

Merl Code Jr.

Adidas exec and former Nike grassroots was one of the ones arrested. Yikes.

Oh the irony...

As the indictments came down Tuesday morning, athletics directors from the 10 conferences that make up the Football Bowl Subdivision were gathering at a $600 per night Trump hotel in Washington, D.C., for their annual meetings under the umbrella of an organization (LEAD1) that shifted its primary focus this year to lobbying Congress in case the gravy train of college athletics somehow gets derailed by the courts.

Let’s just say the timing couldn’t have been more perfect.

Vice:

LEAD1 is a trade group for college athletic directors at the nation's biggest sports schools.

The group announced earlier this year the formation of a political action committee (PAC), the better to funnel money from its members to campaigns and candidates.

And yes, the ongoing battle over the National Collegiate Athletic Association's multibillion-dollar amateur economy—a system that prevents athletes from being paid, yet enriches athletic directors enough that they can afford their own PAC—may ultimately be settled on Capitol Hill, given that association president Mark Emmert and others have said they may seek a Congressional antitrust exemption if federal courts continue to rule that the status quo is, well, illegal.

The Washington Post previously wrote that (LEAD1) is looking to squash proposals that would allow scholarship athletes to be paid,

If this is the end for Slick Rick, he's still the best coach on the college level I've ever seen.

He can just sit behind Minnesota bench and ghost coach now like he already does.

Pat Forde @yahooforde: Five minutes. Pitino back in SUV and out
Pat Forde @yahooforde: Five minutes after entering Grawemeyer Hall, Tom Jurich has exited without comment. Whatever transpired inside, it was quick.
Pat Forde @yahooforde: UL president Gregory Postel just told us that there will be a press conference at 1 ET. Said Jurich and Pitino will not attend.

"Rick Pitino’s attorney Steve Pence promises that [University of Louisville] 'won’t fire Pitino without a bare-knuckle fight,'" Terry Meiners, a Louisville TV and radio personality, posted on his blog.

"Pence predicts that Pitino would prevail in a legal struggle over his reported $44 million buyout," the post continued.

Asked in an interview if he expects Pitino will keep his job, Pence said: "I would certainly think so. I don't know why it would be otherwise."

Pitino said gimme the bag or **** and watch me work.

tenor.gif

Back
Top Bottom