The College Basketball Post

Nothing to see here guys, just working on my jumper
x6n695.png

can't wait
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by blazinjkid

Anybody interested in picking out 5 or so games a week and seeing who has the best record from here on out? Obviously Allen would shoulder this responsibility
laugh.gif
I could do that. It probably wouldn't too hard to do with an Excel spreadsheet. If enough people wanna do it, I'll keep track.

I'm in for the picks... also, my 2 fav. teams in action tonight, MSU and Clemson, both with tough games. I fully expect 2 wins. Clemson has enough talentto keep up the win streak, and MSU should have enough speed to blow by OSU. This season is turning into a good one!

Originally Posted by tmay407

My upset of the night: Alabama over Clemson (I wanna say Ohio State over Michigan State, but I dunno...)
Any reasons for that pick?

Originally Posted by ddot7

Originally Posted by tmay407

My upset of the night: Alabama over Clemson (I wanna say Ohio State over Michigan State, but I dunno...)
Any reasons for that pick?
Not really, just a gut feeling.

And I don't have money to throw down on the picks, I'm broke as hell right now.

If you want in, send me a message and I'll get the spreadsheet set up. We can start the picks tomorrow night with Davidson/Duke. There are some good gamestonight, but I don't think we'll have enough people in by then.

If we're keepin track...What if we all put a little then and winner(s) take it at the end of the year?

Mos def, we all standup dudes but I think we should wait 'till the weekend at least to start it so we can get all the regualrs, malta, caked, haiti, james,tmay, inmymind, dre etc involved.

I'm down to do this but we need to do it in an organized and proper fashion and lay out the ground rules so everyone knows what the deal is.

We can have a practice run tonight... you guys going straight up picks or vs the spread? I'd prefer vs the spread personally.

here's the games i nominate - play if you like.
smile.gif

Purdue -2.5 @ Penn State
Illinois St -2 @ Bradley
Ohio State +11 @ Michigan State
UCONN +3.5 @ West Virginia
Texas -4.5 @ Arkansas

I'll take, against the spread that is, Penn State, Illinois State, MSU, WVU, and Texas.
smile.gif

This weekend should be a good starting time (West Virginia @ Marquette on Saturday, UNC @ Wake Forest on Sunday)...

How many people y'all think we should go with?

And f*** the spread, Craftsy
laugh.gif
(You already know I'm all about theunderdog on the ML.)

To be honest I don't fully understand nor grasp the concept of "the spread." But if someone were to fully enlighten me on the situation I'dbe down. Picking straight up works too ..

Originally Posted by JamesOnNT

To be honest I don't fully understand nor grasp the concept of "the spread." But if someone were to fully enlighten me on the situation I'd be down. Picking straight up works too ..
If a team is -5, they are favored to win by 5 points. If they only win by 4 points, you would lose that bet. If they win by 6 you would win. ifthey win by exactly 5, the bet is split and you make nothing and lose nothing.

Vice versa - if you take the team getting +5, they are picked to lose by 5 by oddsmakers. If they win the game or lose by 4 points or less, the +5 bet wins. If they Lose by 6 or more, the +5 bet loses.

The spreads are set by experts in vegas, and are unbelievably accurate in the long run.

BUT - it provides a lot more work for the person running it (tmay) so my suggestion would be to only pick games which have a spread of less than say 5 pointsin either direction. That way it's not an obvious pick of who should win the game. Any joe schmoe can pick straight up winners of games at about a 75percent clip.

To be honest I don't fully understand nor grasp the concept of "the spread." But if someone were to fully enlighten me on the situation I'd be down. Picking straight up works too ..
take the PSU/Purdue for example..

it's -2.5 for Purdue and + 2.5 for PSU

meaning...Purdue HAS to win by 3...

and PSU can lose by up to 2 points and you would still be correct.

I think it'd better if we were to do this consistently, as there aren't even match ups every night

Playing with the spread probably wouldn't be too hard to keep track of. It would be harder to keep track of than just straight up picks, but I can workwith it.

We gonna put a cap on how many people can get in? And how much money are y'all wanting to throw down? I'm pretty broke right now, so hopefullyy'all aren't high-rollers...

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

If a team is -5, they are favored to win by 5 points. If they only win by 4 points, you would lose that bet. If they win by 6 you would win. if they win by exactly 5, the bet is split and you make nothing and lose nothing.

Vice versa - if you take the team getting +5, they are picked to lose by 5 by oddsmakers. If they win the game or lose by 4 points or less, the +5 bet wins. If they Lose by 6 or more, the +5 bet loses.

The spreads are set by experts in vegas, and are unbelievably accurate in the long run.

BUT - it provides a lot more work for the person running it (tmay) so my suggestion would be to only pick games which have a spread of less than say 5 points in either direction. That way it's not an obvious pick of who should win the game. Any joe schmoe can pick straight up winners of games at about a 75 percent clip.

umm .. how is that?

I'm in but I think spreads might make everything a bit harder.

I'll do either though

Purdue
ISU
OSU
Uconn
Texas

laugh.gif
a LOT of guys have the same.

y'all just want to put up maybe a certain amount of money and the winner at the end gets the pot. How much y'all thinking about as an entrance fee?

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

If a team is -5, they are favored to win by 5 points. If they only win by 4 points, you would lose that bet. If they win by 6 you would win. if they win by exactly 5, the bet is split and you make nothing and lose nothing.

BUT - it provides a lot more work for the person running it (tmay) so my suggestion would be to only pick games which have a spread of less than say 5 points in either direction. That way it's not an obvious pick of who should win the game. Any joe schmoe can pick straight up winners of games at about a 75 percent clip.

umm .. how is that?
What'cha mean?

Take Penn State tonight.. they are 2.5 point underdogs at home to Purdue. If Purdue beats them by only 2 points, anybody who bet Penn State +2.5 would win,cuz they were betting that Penn State wouldn't lose by more than 2.5 points and they did not. But if Purdue won by 3, Penn State +2.5 would lose...obviously.

Did I say something wrong that i'm not seeing or are you just confused in general?

Yeah, I say we wait til the weekend so we can get all the regulars involved and come up with an organized system. I'm not a big better, but I'm coolwith using the spread. I'm also down for putting some money up for whoever is interested.

As far as working out a system, we need:
- # of games per week (I'm thinking 10 is a good number...5 is too low)
- an agreed upon method of what games we choose (I don't think it should be too hard choosing good matchups that we all agree upon, but some guidelinesmight help)
- deadline for pick submission
- payout system for those who are interested

I think we should cut off the # of participants at 15 or 20, for the sake of the bookkeeper(s).

Back
Top Bottom