The College Basketball Post

Originally Posted by SCuse7

Originally Posted by allen3xis

Mr. Magoo going to bat for Devendorf..

http://videos.syracuse.com/post-standard/2008/12/excerpts_of_coach_jim_boeheim.htmlhttp://videos.syracuse.com/post-standard/2008/12/excerpts_of_coach_jim_boeheim.htmlhttp://videos.syracuse.co...of_coach_jim_boeheim.htmlhttp://videos.syracuse.co...of_coach_jim_boeheim.html

And since everyone seems to know this is not the first run in with Devo and trouble and the fact he's already on probation (correct?)

this is really pathetic and desperate.
Correct this isn't his first incident. He was on probation I think before this happened. Rell has said hes been involved in a number of incidents.

Now Boeheim went on all the local radio sports talk shows today. And he was pissed off at the attorney for the girl. Saying how he shouldn't have gone public and didn't act professionally at all.

He said that the three witnesses. All on the basketball team were not rehearsed in what they said. And all he ever told them to do was tell the truth. They all testified that Devendorf did get in a fight, but didn't hit her.

Now I didn't realize that the "board" is made of up 5 STUDENTS. Thats might be the dumbest thing I have heard. The university is allowing students to decide another kids basketball career basically. That is crazy.

I am not saying anyone is innocent or guilty. I wouldn't be surprised if the players stood up for Eric at all. But I can totally understand why Boeheim is flipping out.
-3 witnesses all said she wasn't hit.
-She is the only witness to say she was actually hit.
-She was drinking.

Now they will appeal and the appeals commitee is 2 faculty members and 1 student.

The whole situation is really *%%+$% up.
smh.gif

Yes the board is made up of students which is dumb. I know from personal experience
eyes.gif
. These are all students who are in the pre-law program and I'm sure they know some of the guys on the team which is why I was shocked by theverdict. I posted some stuff on the last page so feel free to read that as well.

If any of you watch the K-state/Southern Miss game tonight, make sure the kiddies have gone to bed. All the talk around here has been about KSU coach FrankMartin's absolutely foul mouth. In the second half of their last game, Sailor Martin wove a tapestry of obscenity which to this day is still hoveringsomewhere over Lake Michigan; at one point he could audibly be heard yelling at guard Jared Pullen, "you're the most selfish !*%%%%! piece of *$%%I've ever known." Many of the fans are enraged about it, while the students find it comical.

Charting Big East Basketball: Who's in It to Win It

by Jonathan Lintner (Scribe)

75 reads

Editorial

December 11, 2008
College Basketball, Big East Basketball, Editorial
Today's Must Reads
Stephen Curry and A.J. Abrams: The Best Shooters in College Basketball
NFL Pro Bowl: Who's Going To Get Snubbed?
My Journey Through Baseball Card Addiction

The Big East has enough noteworthy teams to split the NCAA and call themselves a league. Loaded from top to bottom, it's potentially the greatest conference ever assembled for a single season of college hoops.

Some teams have emerged at the top, and the verdict is still out on a few schools that have gotten off to slow starts. Only three of the 16 Big East teams have lost more than twice, making it difficult to sort through the mess.

There's also the lowly bottom feeders, caught in the belly of the beast with no way out. Providence, Rutgers, DePaul and. South Florida won't be mentioned, and for good reason.

Below are the Big East contenders, pretenders, and some teams the country is still waiting on to shine.

Contenders

Connecticut (8-0): The Huskies tout a No. 2 ranking and feature five players who average double figures, shooting just under 50 percent a game. As long as some guy named Thabeet is standing in the paint, Connecticut will be the favorite to win the conference.

Pittsburgh (9-0): The Panthers have taken the reputation of their home city to the max, making up the toughest team in college basketball. Pittsburgh isn't the most talented team in the Big East, but its defense is stout, and post presence is solid.

Louisville (5-1): A loss to Western Kentucky served as a reality check for the best Louisville team since the big hair days of the 1980s. If freshman center Samardo Samuels can develop some post moves and a hunger for rebounds, the Cardinals could be looking at a trip to Ford Field.

Notre Dame (6-2): Already with two losses, most would discount the Irish's role as a dark horse to win the Big East. That would be wrong. Luke Harangody (25 pts, 16 rebounds while sick against Ohio State) and sharpshooter Kyle McAlarney will have Notre Dame hitting at the right time.

In-between

Syracuse (8-0): Eric Devendorf…where art thou? The Cuse's third leading scorer and main ball handler could be gone for the year, transforming the Orange from a contender to a "we'll see" team. Sophomore Johnny Flynn is now forced to carry the team.

Villanova (8-1): Texas had Villanova out-matched last Tuesday, and conventional reasoning would say Texas would have a rough time winning the Big East. That's why it will be even harder for the Wildcats to make it to the top.

Marquette (7-1): With the loss to Dayton being Marquette's only blemish, too much reliance on guard play could doom the Eagles. They need a big man, and although they lost in the blue jerseys, I say bring them back.

Pretenders

Georgetown (6-1): Despite the rise of Greg Monroe, Georgetown doesn't have the depth nor experience to win the Big East this season. Too much is gone from last season's juggernaut.

Cincinnati (6-1): Mick Cronin has done a great job in building the Bearcats back from where they were under Bob Huggins, but the job isn't finished quite yet. Cincy is going to endure a four-game December stretch that will test Cronin's team thoroughly, and a win against Xavier this Saturday could mean that the Bearcats are back.

West Virginia (6-2): The Mountaineers lost to Kentucky, played Mississippi too close, and flopped in a choke-job against Davidson. It's for those three reasons that West Virginia is too inconsistent to do much.

Seton Hall (7-1): The surprise team of the Big East so far, Seton Hall boasts a record nobody expected. Of course, they have only one good win, against USC that isn't looking so good just a few weeks later.

St. John's (7-1): The Red Storm has faced creampuffs galore and lost to a mediocre Boston College team. St. John's might find success in lesser conferences, but the Big East is too deep for them to have a .500 conference record.

Pretenders

Georgetown (6-1): Despite the rise of Greg Monroe, Georgetown doesn't have the depth nor experience to win the Big East this season. Too much is gone from last season's juggernaut.
bwhwhwhwhehahhfhahdjfhfajfhdahfjhfhfjafdkeiri3ukdcc w;i

Pretenders

bwhwhwhwhehahhfhahdjfhfajfhdahfjhfhfjafdkeiri3ukdcc w;i

ITS TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll give up this screen name if we finish 8th or lower (which that article implies).

Maybe I'm just bringing back Hoya Paronia

32-5 in the last 37 Big East games. (absurd)

that's gota be good for somethin, even if the roster is changed.

St. John's (7-1): The Red Storm has faced creampuffs galore and lost to a mediocre Boston College team. St. John's might find success in lesser conferences, but the Big East is too deep for them to have a .500 conference record.
I just wish they handed out creampuffs at the games
laugh.gif

I honestly can't see us winning more than 5 games.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

laugh.gif

the goal is to keep winning more games than the last.
laugh.gif
we'redefinitely topping 11 wins this year.

Originally Posted by The Wizard

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

laugh.gif

the goal is to keep winning more games than the last.
laugh.gif
we're definitely topping 11 wins this year.

We'll miss Mason once we into BE play though.

Allen no doubt you guys are good and a tourney team but I don't see you getting over UConn or Pitt. Maybe even L'Ville who I don't even reallytrust.

nah, we aren't winning it. I'm just saying to be 'pretenders' while Cuse, Nova and Quette... are on the tier above is just
indifferent.gif

That was scary....

I mean St. Joe's at home would've been a HORRIBLE lost on the resume....

This rest of this season rests on the shoulders on Fisher and Stokes. Reynolds is goin to get his, Cunningham is goin to get his, but Fisher/Stokes are thedifference makers in terms of turning this team from decent to above average.

I probably won't be around much tomorrow, so I'm gonna go ahead and post the TV schedule.

Friday, December 12[table][tr][th=""]Game[/th] [th=""]Network[/th] [th=""]Coverage Notes[/th] [th=""]PPV?[/th] [th=""]Time[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Iowa St. at Iowa[/td] [td]
btn_hd.jpg
[/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td]8pm[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Delaware St. at Maryland[/td] [td]
csn-ma.jpg
[/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td]8pm[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Georgia Southern at Drake[/td] [td]Mediacom-IA[/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td]8:30pm[/td] [/tr][/table]
sick.gif

I hope y'all got good plans tomorrow night, because you damn sure aren't staying home to watch basketball
laugh.gif

Jerry's Mailbag
Re-ranking Wake

If you were going to re-evaluate the class of 2007 team rankings, where would you place Wake Forest? In only their sophomore seasons, James Johnson and Jeff Teague have already established themselves as some of the top players in the ACC and potential All-Americans.

-- Andrew from Winston-Salem
-----

James Johnson was the No. 16-ranked small forward prospect in 2007.
Both Teague and Johnson are having terrific sophomore seasons. Through eight games Teague is averaging 20.6 points and 4.9 assists, both team highs, as well as 4.0 rebounds and 2.3 steals. Johnson is Wake Forest's second-leading scorer at 14.8 points per game. He is also averaging 7.9 rebounds, 2.4 assists, 2.0 steals and 1.4 blocks.

Based on their production, I'd place Wake Forest's recruiting class at No. 12 in the 2007 team recruiting rankings. Just in front of Wake Forest are UCLA, Memphis and Indiana. All three of those teams had major impact one-and-done players in their classes. You could certainly argue that the impact Derrick Rose had for Memphis in his freshman season would call for Memphis' class to move up if revising the rankings. The same could be said for UCLA and Kevin Love.

But if we only adjust Wake Forest's recruiting class, I like them just ahead of Villanova, which is No. 12. Corey Fisher and Corey Stokes, Villanova's top two recruits in 2007, are playing well, but not to the level of Teague and Johnson. Fisher is averaging 10.0 points, 3.1 assists, 2.4 rebounds and 2.0 steals, while Stokes is averaging 12.7 points, 3.7 rebounds, 1.1 assists and 0.9 steals.
Under the radar

Who are the five (or so) best under-the-radar prospects left unsigned in the nation - players who have not garnered a lot of attention thus far (no 4 or 5 stars) but you feel will be good at the next level?

-- AGW from Newport News
-----
Here are some unranked three-star prospects who I think can be solid high-major players:

1. DeAndre Kane: The shooting guard out of Patterson (N.C.) School not only scores the basketball but also has a strong all-around game. He will likely be the recruiting target of Pittsburgh if the Panthers don't land Dominic Cheek, and Kane will likely enter the Rivals150 when it is revised.

Ferrakohn Hall's stock is on the rise.
2. Vincent Council: The Patterson (N.C.) School point guard does everything well except shoot the ball with range. The physical playmaker was close to deciding between Providence and Rutgers, but he is now waiting as more schools - Arkansas in particular - get involved.

3. Ferrakohn Hall: Prior to the summer the combo forward from Memphis (Tenn.) White Station was in the Rivals150, but his poor play over the summer knocked him out of the rankings. Hall appears to have things back in order and has been playing well this year for White Station. At the Marshall County Hoopfest, he claimed offers from Missouri, Arkansas, Memphis, UAB and Oklahoma State.

4. Emery Kelly: A forward out of Jackson (Miss.) Provine High, Kelly plays with a strong motor. He contributes defensively and on the boards, and he can also score.

5. Wendell Lewis: A big-bodied, low-post player for Selma (Ala.) High, Lewis has the size to bang with the big boys at the high-major level. Auburn and others are pursuing him.
Similar styles

What college player past or present would be the best comparison to John Wall?

-- Grady from Lawrence
-----
Derrick Rose seems to be the player Wall is compared with the most, and that is certainly a justifiable comparison. They are both extremely athletic and talented point guards, and outside shooting is the weakness in their games.

But I'll throw out another point guard who is playing extremely well who Wall reminds me of − Rajon Rondo.

Again, outside shooting is not the forte of either player. But both have unique athleticism with long arms and big hands. Both possess tremendous body control when moving at a high rate of speed. And they both are superior ball-handlers with the knack of making tough passes and high-degree-of-difficulty plays.
Surprise freshmen

After watching the first few weeks of the college basketball season, who have been the big surprises from the class of 2008?

-- Alex from Albany
-----
You have to start with Seth Curry at Liberty. He is the top scoring freshman in the country, averaging 21.4 points per game.

I didn't expect Courtney Fortson and Rotnei Clarke to average a combined 30 points per game for Arkansas. Fortson is also averaging 6.4 assists and 5.4 rebounds.

Georgetown's Greg Monroe (13.3 ppg) is scoring at a little higher clip than I expected. And Wake Forest's Al-Farouq Aminu (9.0 rpg) is rebounding at a higher clip than I expected.

Michael Dunigan is playing well for Oregon, averaging 14.0 points and 7.0 rebounds, and Ed Davis is looking good for North Carolina, scoring 9.4 points and grabbing 8.8 rebounds per game.

Georgia Tech's Iman Shumpert has a nice stat line of 12.7 points, 6.0 assists and 4.2 rebounds per game.
Still in it

It seems like Michigan State needs some more tough big men to get back to the hard-nosed, outrebounding-other-teams style that Tom Izzo likes to play. Will 2009 commits Derrick Nix and Garrick Sherman provide a big rebounding lift next season? It seems like Nix may be elevate his game and could move up the rankings.

-- Scott from Chicago
-----
I definitely agree with you, Scott. Michigan State does need more physical and tougher big men. Coach Izzo loves a smashmouth football style of basketball, but you need football-type basketball players to play that style. Nix certainly has the bulk to play that physical style of basketball. Reportedly he is in better shape than he was this summer and is playing good basketball.

Sherman is a player we hold in high regard because of his high skill level and feel for the game, but he is a finesse player and doesn't fit the mold of the post player you are looking for at Michigan State.

At UConn, Thabeet goes on

By Jason King, Yahoo! Sports Dec 11, 8:36 am EST

Buzz up!
Print

Yahoo! Sports
Photo Connecticut's Hasheem Thabeet, right, blocks the shot of Western Carolina's Brandon Giles during the first half in Storrs, Conn., on Nov. 14, 2008.
(AP Photo/Fred Beckham)

Thabeet's season superlatives
Points vs.
Western
Carolina

Rebounds vs.
Buffalo

Blocks vs.
Miami (Fla.)
More Connecticut coverage: UConnReport.com

His basketball prowess has yet to earn him a penny. Still, by the time Hasheem Thabeet's plane touched down in his native Tanzania two summers ago, the crowd had become so large that police closed the street leading to the airport.

Thabeet has met multiple times with his country's president and has spoken at five orphanages throughout his native land. Some of the children Thabeet talked with had AIDS. Most lived in poor conditions. On his final stop, Thabeet learned that an entire home of 50 could be fed for a mere $50 a day.

And so, before he left, Connecticut's 7-foot-3 center saw to it that each child would receive breakfast, lunch and dinner the following day.

"I just wish," Thabeet said, "that I could've done more."

Thabeet will get that chance. Barring an injury, the 270-pound junior is expected to be among the top 10 selections in this summer's NBA draft, meaning he'll become an instant millionaire the moment commissioner David Stern calls his name.

Thrilled as Thabeet will be to advance to the next level, folks will be equally excited in Tanzania, where Thabeet's No. 34 Connecticut jersey is sported regularly by the fans who view him as a national hero.

Never has Tanzania been able to boast a sports figure as well known as Thabeet, who earned Big East Defensive Player of the Year honors last season after averaging a national-best 4.5 blocks.

Despite playing just 72 college games, Thabeet has become a pioneer in a country with zero basketball tradition. Tanzania's national team has qualified for the FIBA African Championship just once in the past 46 years. Until recently, most of the youths in Thabeet's hometown of Dar es Salaam hoped to become soccer stars.

"Now, when I go back, it's mind-blowing how many kids are out in the streets playing basketball," Thabeet said. "They've come a long way."

So, too, has Thabeet.

Hasheem Thabeet said he can be "the most dominant player in college basketball." It's a form of confidence that Thabeet hardly carried six years ago, when he stepped onto a court for the very first time.

"I was scared," he said.

"I picked up the ball, shot a free throw and it was good. Lots of people were looking at me and laughing because I was so much taller than everyone else. But they were all like, 'You can play. You can do it.' That's how it all started."

- Hasheem Thabeet, on his first experience playing pickup basketball as a 6-foot-8, 15-year-old.

Although his first love had always been soccer, Thabeet was fascinated each time he stopped by the playground to watch adults play pickup basketball games. Because he stood 6-8 at age 15, it only seemed natural when one of the men asked Thabeet if he'd like to participate.

"I picked up the ball, shot a free throw and it was good," Thabeet said. "Lots of people were looking at me and laughing because I was so much taller than everyone else. But they were all like, 'You can play. You can do it.' That's how it all started."

It only took a few months for basketball to become Thabeet's passion.

Eventually he began making daily trips to an Internet café, where he performed searches to find the websites of various small colleges throughout the United States. Thabeet sent emails to each school's basketball coach, asking if he'd have any interest in a 6-foot-8 teenager with a heart as big as his 7-5 wingspan.

"I [reached] one of the Loyola colleges - I don't know which one - and they said, 'You are Muslim. You can't come to our school,'" Thabeet said. "It made me think I couldn't go to any Christian school in the U.S. After that I stopped sending out emails."

It didn't matter.

Soon after, a man named Oliver Noah saw Thabeet play in a high school tournament in Kenya. Noah is an American businessman who scouts African players for prep schools. Noah convinced Hasheem's mother that her son would have college scholarship opportunities if he moved to the United States to attend high school.

Photo Hashem Thabeet guards Rob Jones of San Diego during the first round of the 2008 NCAA Tournament on March 21 in Tampa.
(Doug Benc/Getty Images)

Just like that, Thabeet found himself in California - his first of three stops before signing with Connecticut. On his first visit to campus, Thabeet walked into the gym for the Huskies' game against Louisville sporting a pair of sunglasses and a white velour sweat suit. He was quick to earn the affection of his teammates, who nicknamed him "Hollywood" and joked that he was "Americanized."

"He imitates everything he sees on campus or on TV," forward Jeff Adrien said. "You wouldn't even know he was [foreign] except for the way he talks."

Adrien chuckled.

"He's just a typical, 7-3 college student," he said.

Thabeet said he learned English from the missionaries who used to visit his church in Tanzania and from watching "Family Matters" and "The Cosby Show" when he was little.

"And I listened to Puff Daddy," Thabeet said. "A lot the things that are popular in America are popular in [Africa], too."

At UConn, Thabeet has done his best to remain active in campus life, where it's not uncommon for him to stop and talk with strangers as he walks to class. Thabeet is quick to give an autograph, and he's been known to show up at soccer and volleyball games to cheer.

But only when he has a free evening.

Last fall, for the third time, Thabeet went to New York for a meeting with Tanzanian president Jakaya Kikwete, who was in town for the opening of the UN General Assembly. Thabeet showed up wearing a suit and tie - a far cry from the jeans and baseball cap he sported during their previous encounter.

"When you grow up as a player, you have to grow up as a person," Thabeet said. "It's been a long process, but I think I've done that."

Hasheem Thabeet said he wants his game to be "old school." He watched tapes of some of basketball's all-time great centers - guys such as Hakeem Olajuwon and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar - and hoped that his game will some day resemble theirs.

"If he went to the NBA he could probably be [contributing] right now because he can block shots. But two or three years down the road, he's going to be one of those special players in the NBA, because there aren't that many 7-3, 270-pound athletes. He can run, he can dunk, he can block shots and rebound."

- Connecticut coach Jim Calhoun, on Thabeet's pro future.

Thabeet has showed maturity and patience when it comes to honing his skills.

While Thabeet could've easily jumped to the NBA after his freshman and sophomore seasons, he's chosen to remain at Connecticut to learn under longtime Huskies coach Jim Calhoun.

"If he went to the NBA he could probably be (contributing) right now because he can block shots," Calhoun said. "But two or three years down the road, he's going to be one of those special players in the NBA, because there aren't that many 7-3, 270-pound athletes. He can run, he can dunk, he can block shots and rebound.

"He's a great story of what happens when a kid stays in college."

Not that the decision to remain in school was easy. Connecticut went an uncharacteristic 17-14 during Thabeet's freshman season, a finish that left him both frustrated and questioning his future in school.

"I really thought about leaving," he said. "I didn't believe in myself. We were losing a lot of games and I didn't see myself getting any better. I wanted to get college over with and try the NBA.

"But there were a lot of guys entering the draft - a lot of experienced big men like the guys from Florida - so I decided to come back for my sophomore year. I couldn't have made a better decision."

Thabeet's scoring average improved from 6.2 points to 10.5 as a sophomore, when he helped lead the Huskies to a 24-9 record. Projected as a first-round draft pick, no one would've blamed Thabeet had he chosen to turn pro.

Especially considering his family situation.

Thabeet's father died when he was 17, leaving his mother, Rukia, to support the family. Thabeet said Rukia sells African clothing. He has a younger sister named Sham and a younger brother named Akbar, who plays soccer at St. Thomas More Prep in Oakdale, Conn. - just 45 minutes away from the UConn campus.

Photo Hasheem Thabeet blocks a shot by Gonzaga forward Larry Gurganious.
(Greg M. Cooper/US Presswire)

"[Coach Calhoun] told me I could leave if I wanted to leave," Thabeet said. "He gave me a bunch of information and I decided to stay. The decision I made was the right decision. I know people that say, 'Oh, he might get hurt,' but I don't listen to them. I'm excited about our team. It's mind-blowing how good we could be this year.

"We're a scary team."

No. 2 Connecticut has won its first eight games and is considered the favorite to win the most competitive conference in basketball - the Big East. If the Huskies accomplish the feat it will be largely because of Thabeet, who's averaging 14.5 points and 12.5 rebounds after snaring just 7.9 last season.

Although he still needs to work on playing with his back to the basket, Thabeet's teammates said he's 10 times more aggressive than he's been in the past.

"He's able to do a lot of things he couldn't do when he first got here," point guard A.J. Price said. "That's because of all the extra work he put in over the summer. When he came back he had the attitude of, 'I want to get better. I want to help UConn win.' You can see it in him. He's very humble."

Thabeet plans to remain that way once the inevitable happens on draft night this June. The riches that accompany being a first-round selection will be nice - but so, too, will be the increased influence he'll have in foreign lands.

Thabeet has said he'd like to work with Basketball Without Borders, which runs programs in various countries using basketball as a universal language. Perhaps some day Thabeet could be to Tanzania what Olajuwon was to Nigeria.

Thabeet's main hope is that his emergence will lead to opportunities for others. Africa has long been considered an untapped resource for college and professional basketball players, with many top talents going unrecognized.

"There are a lot of kids there that no one knows about," Thabeet said. "They don't get opportunities. There's no infrastructure and no good training or facilities. Hopefully I can go back there some day and run some camps."

He paused.

"The good thing," Thabeet said, "is that, even without all of that, everyone there believes they can play basketball now. And they know it's not something you're born with, but something you have to work at. They've seen that through me."
Jason

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Last we saw the North Carolina Tar Heels they were running and dunking all over Michigan State, which led to Tom Izzocalling them one of the best teams he has seen in his 25 years at MSU, which led to me calling them one of the best teams I've seen in my 31 years on thisplanet.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]If Tyler Hansbrough left a pair of sneakers at Ford Field just so he wouldn't have to travel with them in Aprilwhen he returns for the Final Four, who could blame him? The Tar Heels were that good that night. But they've been quiet ever since,taking exams and stuff while enjoying a nine-day break from games.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]I, for one, have missed them.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]So I'm glad they're returning Saturday.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]The opponent/victim will be Oral Roberts. And unless the school's giant prayinghands make the trip to the Dean Dome and block 30 shots, I suspect the Golden Eagles will have a rough go of it. Though it's great to have God on yourside, it doesn't help much when the other side has Ty Lawson.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Anyway, here's the Friday Look Ahead.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Game worth flying to see in person: There is exactly one game this weekend featuring two Top 25teams, and that game will be played Saturday in Washington, D.C., between No. 17 Memphis and No. 19 Georgetown. On the courtwill be two one-loss teams (Memphis lost to Xavier, Georgetown to Tennessee), three freshmen starters (Wesley Witherspoon, Tyreke Evans and Greg Monroe), fourMcDonald's All-Americans (Evans, Monroe, Chris Wright and Austin Freeman) and a partridge in a pear tree.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Game worth driving to see in person: There's no denying the annual tilt between cross-townrivals Cincinnati and Xavier isn't what it used to be, proof being how the game hasn't yet sold out despite theMusketeers sporting a top 10 ranking. But just because the locals aren't excited doesn't mean I can't be; this is a game between an undefeatedXavier team and a UC squad that is 6-1 with wins over UAB and UNLV. And beyond that, it's sponsored bychili, and what's better than a basketball game sponsored by chili?[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Game worth watching on TV: Jamelle Horne issued a statement Thursday denying that he had a "dinner bet" with a San DiegoState player, which is too bad because Arizona beat San Diego State, meaning Horne would be owed a dinner if he had made the bet. That's amissed opportunity if I've ever seen one. But if you're reading this, Jamelle, I would advise you to not make a dinner bet with aGonzaga player in advance of Sunday's game against the fourth-ranked Zags, because Gonzaga is not San Diego State, and do you really thinkJosh Heytvelt eats off the Value Menu?[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Some non-BCS love: Anybody who thought Brad Stevens merely took Todd Lickliter's players androde them to the NCAA tournament last season is now learning otherwise, specifically that the baby-faced Butler coach can work a revampedroster just the same. The Bulldogs lost five of their top seven scorers from a 30-win team and were picked fifth in the Horizon League preseason poll. But herethey are anyway, 8-0 and already in possession of a victory over conference favorite Cleveland State heading into Saturday's game at No. 21 OhioState. It's an impressive start, no question. And the only bad part for Butler is that if Stevens keeps this up he'll almost certainly jointhe long list of BU coaches to become hot commodities ... and leave.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]An obvious prediction: Rick Barnes has led Texas to 14 consecutive home victories.That number will move to 15 on Saturday when the Longhorns handle Texas State, unless, of course, the BCS screws it up.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]A crazy prediction (but it might happen anyway): The best chance for an upset is 10th-rankedXavier at Cincinnati, because Xavier is on the road, it's a rivalry game, the atmosphere should be rowdy (even if FifthThird Arena doesn't sell out), and the Bearcats aren't too bad. So let's try that. UC over Xavier, and this is coming from a guy who has Xavierranked seventh in the Top 25 (and one). In other words, I like Xavier. But this is alwaysa tricky game for the favorite, isn't it?[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Player trying to keep rolling: Though most of the recent focus at Syracuse has beenon Eric Devendorf's off-court issues, it should be noted that Paul Harris is having some kind of junior season. He has made 15 of his past 22 shots andscored a total of 43 points in his past two outings while raising his season averages to 14.8 points and 8.9 rebounds per game. That's a big reason theOrange are 8-0, and they should be 9-0 after Saturday against Long Beach State, provided Harris keeps playing well.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Player trying to get rolling: At this time last week it was still unclear whether Luke Harangodywould play for Notre Dame against Ohio State, but who knew Kyle McAlarney wouldn't show up? The senior guard who was called a bettershooter than Stephen Curry in the blog of Furman's Connor Nolte -- andstatistically, Nolte is correct -- missed all six of his 3-point attempts against the Buckeyes and finished with just six points in the 67-62 loss. That'sunacceptable for a guy who had made 37 of 64 (50 percent) shots from beyond the arc in his previous five outings, and McAlarney must get back on track Saturdaywhen the Irish play Boston University.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Three things you should know before you go[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]1. Ken Pomeroy has a formula that is too complex to explain but usually pretty good at identifyingthe best teams in the country. As of today, the top 10 schools in his ratings (in order): North Carolina, Gonzaga,Georgetown, Pittsburgh, Louisville, Duke, Ohio State,Texas, Tennessee and Kansas.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]2. Everybody knows that Stephen Curry is leading the nation in scoring. But do you know who'ssecond? It's Chicago State's David Holston, who is averaging 26.9 points per game. Some other interesting stats heading into theweekend: Oklahoma's Blake Griffin has attempted 19 more free throws than any other player in the country; VMI twinsTravis and Chavis Holmes rank first and second nationally in steals, getting 3.9 and 3.8 per game; 29 players are averaging at least 10 rebounds per game, ledby Griffin's 15.6.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]3. The top five at CollegeRPI.com heading into the weekend (in order): Gonzaga,Clemson, Butler, Pittsburgh and Duke.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Final thought: Nobody has been a bigger Curry cheerleader than me, and if you don't believe itjust read this and/or this. But one possible negative trend I've noticed is that though theDavidson star is having a tremendous season, his shooting percentages are noticeably down against BCS-affiliated schools compared to wherethey are at against non-BCS affiliated schools.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Consider: Davidson has played five non-BCS opponents (Guilford, James Madison, Winthrop, Florida Atlantic and Loyola)and three BCS opponents (Oklahoma, N.C. State and West Virginia). Curry has made 55.7 percent of his field-goal attempts and 45.9 percent of his 3-pointattempts against non-BCS opponents compared to just 40.4 percent and 31.1 percent against BCS opponents. That means he's down 15.3 percentage points fromthe field and 14.8 from beyond the arc when the opposition is from a power conference, and so the question is why?[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Is it because he's guarded by bigger guys in those games, which makes things tougher? Or is it because he triesto do more against BCS schools (and thus takes some questionable shots) because he feels it's necessary for his team to win? Or is it just an interestingstatistic, and nothing more?[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]The guess here is that it's probably some combination of all three. But it's certainly something NBA scoutsshould watch going forward, to see whether Curry consistently shoots a good percentage against the Dukes and Purdues of the world, or if he just scores a bunchin the marquee games because he shoots a bunch in the marquee games before raising his percentages against outclassed Southern Conferenceopposition.[/font]

I just want to say that I have not been on for a while now becasue of school and work but I have been keeping up with hoops and so far right now I really likeManny Harris. I just like everything about his game.

On the recurting tip my dude Epps is now being looked at by Texas, UCLA, Michigan, and Ohio State. He has offers from Rutgers, Seton Hall, and St. Joes. Butright now the top two schools are Pitt and Maryland. I know that he lives in NJ now but The LOWER EAST SIDE IS IN THE BUILDING!

OH YEAH LETS GO LOUISVILLE!

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Game worth flying to see in person:There is exactly one game this weekend featuring two Top 25 teams, and that game will be played Saturday in Washington, D.C., between No. 17 Memphis and No. 19 Georgetown. On the court will be two one-loss teams (Memphis lost to Xavier, Georgetown to Tennessee), three freshmen starters (Wesley Witherspoon, Tyreke Evans and Greg Monroe), four McDonald's All-Americans (Evans, Monroe, Chris Wright and Austin Freeman) and a partridge in a pear tree.[/font]
guilty
pimp.gif

On the note of Nova bout to get Cheek and that stacked back court/wing.....Taylor King really will now have to play up front in the Big East
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom