The College Basketball Post

McLemore? Henry? Wiggins? Embiid?

Self pushed those guys out the door because he knew that was best for them.

I can personally guarantee you that McLemore and Embiid wanted to stay and Self talked them out of it.

Now, there's guys like Selby, who's attitude sucked and had injury issues. Selden (last year) was in Wiggins/Embiid's shadow. Not EVERY top freshman is going to be successful and live up to the hype.
Agreed on Cliff. I honestly don't see him doing anything in the NBA. What's he going to play? He's a college player with limited NBA upside.

Oubre is coming along, he's been KU's best player (along w/ Frank) for the past month.

Regarding Selby, he's not just going to throw guys out there that can play like some other coaches do. Selby wasn't good enough to play, end of story. There were guards on that team that made KU a whole lot better when they were on the floor and Selby was on the bench.
Why does everyone think Wiggins had a poor season at KU? Dude averaged 17 and 6...that's pretty good.

Selden/Selby just weren't good their freshman years. Overhyped.

Oubre is getting better, as stated earlier players at KU have to earn their time...that's why Cliff hasn't been playing much. His practices have sucked, his defense has sucked (refer to this article...) Self isn't going to say "oh, Cliff, you were the third best HS player, you're an automatic starter..." If Self thinks he can be better, he's going to push him to be better.

Regarding developing players...c'mon man. Withey? Morrii? Tyrel Reed? Aldrich? Those players were far better leaving KU than when they got there.

I agree. Wiggins had a good freshman season. Mentioned that numerous times. He's a different type of talent though. I think he would have "looked" more consistent elsewhere.

Xavier had an up and down season. Mclemore balled out as RS freshman. Selby had talent. He needed the ball in his hands and the offense ran thru the Morris twins. He woulda shined elsewhere. Kansas has been good so long because they get these 5 star recruits to stay for longer than a year. This bringing continuity.

Self is def a good coach...and does a good job developing bigs, and coaching some guys up. Embiid was rare. You don't see Bigs from Kansas being 1 and done. It's just his track record with perimeter players who are projected one and dones.

If I was a top 10 guard or wing with legit NBA potential...I'm not going to Kansas.

Self is a good college coach, he just keeps getting top 10 HS talent so people expect him to try and maximize their talent.

heis style lends itself Higher floor, but lower ceiling,

If I were a Kansas fan I would be quite happy with him as a coach. He's not perfect but still elite.

For draft nerds he's obviously annoying.

I agree. Wiggins had a good freshman season. Mentioned that numerous times. He's a different type of talent though. I think he would have "looked" more consistent elsewhere.

Xavier had an up and down season. Mclemore balled out as RS freshman. Selby had talent. He needed the ball in his hands and the offense ran thru the Morris twins. He woulda shined elsewhere. Kansas has been good so long because they get these 5 star recruits to stay for longer than a year. This bringing continuity.

Self is def a good coach...and does a good job developing bigs, and coaching some guys up. Embiid was rare. You don't see Bigs from Kansas being 1 and done. It's just his track record with perimeter players who are projected one and dones.

If I was a top 10 guard or wing with legit NBA potential...I'm not going to Kansas.

This is basically what I was getting at with my scenario. Self is a great coach. With that being said he is stubborn, but to the point of being selfish IMO. He seems to care more about his success vs getting his players to where they need to be. Let's face it, anyone who stays somewhere 4 years is going to learn something and make improvement. If that is the criteria for a great developmental coach, then there are tons of coaches who given 4 years with a player can bring them along the way Self has.

His BXII consecutive championship streak is probably the most absurd thing going in CBB.

His offense is rigid and sometimes he gets wacky in tournament games playing junk defenses but that dude is elite.

Kansas S&C program is also probably the best thing about their development over the course of 4 years.

Georgetown finally put together 40 minutes. Isaac Copeland starting to hit his stride.

SMH @ storming this court after beating Nova at home. we better than that :lol:

Last edited:

Let's present this a different way. You have a son who is a guard with the potential to be a OaD. Your son needs a little prodding to play hard. He needs to learn the importance of committing on defense. Once again the goal is to have him play one year in college and be a lottery pick. Your only interest is achieving that goal, not whether he plays for your favorite uni or not. He has an offer for KU and UK. Would you feel his prospects were equal with those two choices?
If we are comparing Self vs. Cal, Cal is better, I can't argue that. Cal is the best coach in the country regarding recruiting and getting players to the league. I don't think he's the best in-game coach in the country, but, overall, he's the best coach w/ all things considered.

This is basically what I was getting at with my scenario. Self is a great coach. With that being said he is stubborn, but to the point of being selfish IMO. He seems to care more about his success vs getting his players to where they need to be. Let's face it, anyone who stays somewhere 4 years is going to learn something and make improvement. If that is the criteria for a great developmental coach, then there are tons of coaches who given 4 years with a player can bring them along the way Self has.
I just think it depends on the coach, Self wants his players to learn his way, get the most out of them...other coaches want to just get their players to the league and run everything through them...(see John Beliein w/ Burke and Stauskas, Tom Crean w/ Oladipo and Vonleh, a number of UCONN guys, etc.)
His BXII consecutive championship streak is probably the most absurd thing going in CBB.

His offense is rigid and sometimes he gets wacky in tournament games playing junk defenses but that dude is elite.

Kansas S&C program is also probably the best thing about their development over the course of 4 years.
What makes you say this? Just curious.

Do I think Self is stubborn? Yeah, of course. Do I think he is a phenomenal coach? Yes, top 5 active in the country with the potential to become a top 10 all-time. There is a reason for the things he does. See Cliff last night. Basically calls him out for not playing hard and then Cliff has his best game of the year w/ 13 and 13. 

College coaches just have to ask themselves "do I want to solely focus on getting this player to the league?" or "do I want my team to be the best it can be while trying to improve my player's skills?" .....and, I don't think there is anything wrong with either one.

Winning a power 5 conference title 10 straight years is just ridiculous. Hall of Fame coaches don't do that in a career. There's reasons beyond Self for that result, but still.

Winning a power 5 conference title 10 straight years is just ridiculous. Hall of Fame coaches don't do that in a career. There's reasons beyond Self for that result, but still.
Ahh, I see, my bad. Thought you were saying it wasn't as good as everyone says it is or something. My b.

You guys think anyone will ever catch Coach K? I mean, let's say he has 3-5 years left. He'll end up around 1,120 wins (give or take 30 or so)...

Here's active coaches that would be "close"...

Boeheim 961 Ws, 70 years old

Huggins 755 Ws, 61 years old

Roy 737 Ws, 64 years old

Pitino 696 Ws, 62 years old

Barnes 596 Ws, 60 years old

Cal 569 Ws, 55 years old

Kruger 546 Ws, 62 years old

Self 542 Ws, 52 years old

Tubby 535 Ws, 63 years old

...so, I'd think that the only coaches that have a shot at catching him are Cal and Self? Depending if they try out the NBA/how long they coach.

Averaging 27 Ws a year, when Cal is K's age he will have approx. 893 Ws. Self will have 947 at that rate.

Now, this is assuming a lot, just stating the coaches that might be on track. Your guys' thoughts?

You guys think anyone will ever catch Coach K? I mean, let's say he has 3-5 years left. He'll end up around 1,120 wins (give or take 30 or so)...

Roy 737 Ws, 64 years old
Cal 569 Ws, 55 years old

...so, I'd think that the only coaches that have a shot at catching him are Cal and Self? Depending if they try out the NBA/how long they coach.

Averaging 27 Ws a year, when Cal is K's age he will have approx. 893 Ws. Self will have 947 at that rate.

Now, this is assuming a lot, just stating the coaches that might be on track. Your guys' thoughts?

It is not possible for them to stay coaching as long as it will take to catch K. Cal and Self are running each other into the ground. Having to go hard after a whole team of new recruits every season is not sustainable. Has to be accelerating burnout exponentially.

Roy 737 Ws, 64 years old
Cal 569 Ws, 55 years old

i think you are correct as far as who has a realistic chance of catching him but to me there is too much smoke revolving NBA with cal and self...i dont see them sticking another 20 years in college.

Last edited:
Cal will probably have a violation or something at some point. Self won't win enough, too long a road to walk. If K retired at the end of this year, Boehiem would get there, but yeah, don't see anyone catching K. Maybe Lavin.

Justice Winslow's shooting 12.5% 2-PT jump shots. :x

The shot which we thought was improved from HS, has declined drastically as much as I love his intangibles his shot is too big problem to overlook.

Last edited:
Still a top 10 pick?

I know he's a freshman but inconsistent is a problem. It's been a couple big games where he's straight disappeared.

Last edited:
Still peg him as a top 10 pick, I mean, there really 10 guys you rather take a chance on?

This could change, but for now he's still in my top 10

His ceiling is dropping for me though no doubt

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom