The College Basketball Post

Originally Posted by allen3xis

Originally Posted by zs05wc

Michigan will keep getting better, but still isn't going anywhere special with Belein.

He can't recruit and his gimmicks can be handled.

Sure
eyes.gif
and where do you think you'll go with him?

Manny and Sims are NOT his guys, and he would never recruit them. He doesn't recruit talent. He recruits nonathletic shooters.

He'll never see a final 4 in his life.

On top of that, UM is the same team that lost to Maryland and needed OT to beat Savannah State...

I've seen Belein get out coached too many times in the Big East to take him seriously.
You really trying to crap on dude. He got his team to the Elite 8, no small task. If he can even get his hands on a couple of three and fourstar recruits, he'll be able to do some damage. And SMH at you saying he has no athletic players when Gansey was one of the mroe athletic whiet boyscollege basketball has seen in a minute.

Nah, it's just the truth with him.

that elite 8 run they only were a .500 Big East team.

I said they'll be better, but He isn't making any program elite.

Originally Posted by zs05wc

Michigan will keep getting better, but still isn't going anywhere special with Belein.

He can't recruit and his gimmicks can be handled.

Sure
eyes.gif
and where do you think you'll go with him?

Manny and Sims are NOT his guys, and he would never recruit them. He doesn't recruit talent. He recruits nonathletic shooters.

He'll never see a final 4 in his life.

On top of that, UM is the same team that lost to Maryland and needed OT to beat Savannah State...

I've seen Belein get out coached too many times in the Big East to take him seriously.

We're still young, thats what I credit the Maryland loss to, and I really have no explanation for Sav. St.but to beat two top 5 teams after what we didlast year he obviously is doing something right. He may not have originally recruited Manny but he did still convince him to keep his commitment after Amakergot fired. As far as recruiting it will be easier for him to recruit more athletic players to UofM as well as the shooters he likes. He already has commitsfrom some decent kids and has a lot of kids really looking at UofM. Plus he has a lot of instate kids considering us that would normally just go to msu. Hestill has a lot work ahead of him but I personally think he will do nothing but good for this program and I think its already showing.

our team FG % was around 54 before the Miami game, good for 5th best in the country...but we shot 35.7% today, including 2-23 from 3 land.
indifferent.gif

Meeks had his worst game of the season. but played great D on McClinton when he was asked to gaurd him after halftime.

Pat had 19 and 16, but he's still not getting the ball as often as he should.

Liggins is going to be really, really good...18 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists. Porter played the majority of the first half, we we're down 20 at halftime. Liggins played almost the entire second half, got within 4. coincidence?

no +!###$# reason Porter should start, it's +!###$# stupid.

really missed Ramon's D today.

this team's showing a lot of promise, however. should win the next 5 before we play Louisville (who looked really good today, but they did play somebums.)

ohwell.gif

Another game, another blowout. KU hammers Jackson St. 86-62 today. Our real test to show if we've improved any will come in January when we face Tennesseeand Michigan St.

Hey, Cats, don't forget Patterson

LEXINGTON, Ky. - I think an introduction is in order. University of Kentucky basketball team, meet Patrick Patterson.

The name might ring a bell. It's up there among the NCAA leaders in field-goal percentage. He's that big guy there in the middle, sealing off his man in the lane while the rest of you are passing the ball around looking for an open jumper.

Maybe you've seen the movie "50 First Dates," where Adam Sandler dates a Drew Barrymore character who wakes up every morning with no memory of the day before.

Now playing the part of Drew Barrymore: the Kentucky Wildcats. They certainly played it yesterday, forgetting about their feature player in the early going as they fell behind by 20 in the first half of what wound up as a 73-67 loss to No. 21 Miami in Rupp Arena.

"We haven't started very good against good competition, and I don't know what the problem is, " UK coach Billy Gillispie said. " … It's not a good pattern. We have to be a little bit more competitive at the start."

When it comes to the slow starts, two trends jump off the stat sheet, and the biggest is UK's amnesia when it comes to Patterson. Take a look.

In the first 10 minutes against Virginia Military Institute, Patterson got one shot and the Wildcats fell behind by 19. First 10 at North Carolina, one shot and a 19-point deficit. First 10 against Kansas State, Patterson got two shots, and UK trailed by nine points. First 10 against West Virginia, Patterson got two shots, and the Cats fell behind by seven.

Yesterday, Patterson didn't get a single shot in the first 10 minutes against Miami's zone, and the Cats found themselves down a dozen.

When asked if he gets angry when he's not getting the ball, Patterson said, "Not angry, just frustrated. But I try to keep doing my job. I'm a team-first guy, and I keep working."

Maybe Patterson needs to throw some fits. Yesterday the game plan, as outlined by Gillispie, was to use crisp ball movement to work it inside against Miami's zone, either by throwing the ball into the high post or by driving it.

UK did none of that. The Wildcats took 13 three-point shots in the first half. That's the same number they took in two games in Las Vegas. Gillispie said the team didn't react well to adversity, forgot its game plan and started playing a perimeter-first offense. Jodie Meeks took 17 shots overall and DeAndre Liggins 13.

UK did other things wrong, including giving too much daylight to Miami's three-point shooters, who drilled seven in the first half, a number UK simply cannot match. When the Wildcats started doing the right things in the second half, the game turned and Patterson finished with 19 points on 8-of-13 shooting.

But there's another trend to the slow starts. While Liggins makes plenty of mistakes -- and was guilty himself of launching too many outside jumpers yesterday -- he also brings an intensity that might be nice to have from the opening tip. Gillispie flinched at questions about Liggins' game yesterday, finally saying, "Let's talk about the team. We lost, so nobody played very well. Let's ask some questions about the team."

All right. They sure look better with Liggins at point, don't they? That's the move everyone is talking about, and it's one whose time will come.

But unless this team recovers from its amnesia over Mr. Patterson early in games, the starts will remain slow, no matter who the guards are.

And SMH at you saying he has no athletic players when Gansey was one of the mroe athletic whiet boys college basketball has seen in a minute.

Wait, what? Mike Gansey wasn't even a little bit athletic.

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

And SMH at you saying he has no athletic players when Gansey was one of the mroe athletic whiet boys college basketball has seen in a minute.
Wait, what? Mike Gansey wasn't even a little bit athletic.

My favorite WVU player.

Their team was all
pimp.gif

Gansey
Pittsnogle
Herber
Young

Anyone remember their last game
nerd.gif

Won't let me embed.

Evan Turner has a ton of talent. The thing with him last year as a freshman was consistency, but so far this year the consistency is there. He's one of thefew players on Ohio State's team who can create his own offense. The past two games (Miami, ND) he's really taken over in the 2nd half. He'll stillplay a little out of control and turn the ball over, but he's been better at it this season than last. If he minimizes his turnovers...watch out.

Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky fans would you like the idea of a Tri-State tournament? I would love to see it. Like every year there is a different site for the gamesand festivities. UC, XU, Ohio State, Indiana, UK, Miami (OH), Dayton and Indiana State or another team in the area. The crosstown shootout could be done if UCand XU meet in the tournament or after. What you think?

1.XU
8.Dayton

3.UC
6.Indiana

4.UK
5.Ohio State

2.Louisville
8.Miami (OH)

More can be added but I just came up with this off the top of my head. There are many places to do this at. US Bank here in Cincy. Lucas oil stadium. Etc etc.And just imagine how much money can be pumped into the local areas? Lets say by chance we have Bengals at Colts for MNF but the week prior there are these bigtime games going on at Lucas Oil.
eek.gif

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

why would you invite Kansas?
My bad I meant UK. I forgot its UK instead of KU.
frown.gif
But theycould make a trophy and everything. It could be called The Tri-State Classic. I forgot about Notre Dame and Purdue.

Pittsnoggle
pimp.gif

Some decent games today -

Florida vs Florida State
Arizona State vs Nebraska(i think)

Gillispie deserves blame for Kentucky struggles

LEXINGTON, Ky. - Just when you thought Kentucky and Billy Gillispie were starting to turn things around, the reasons to doubt resurfaced.

The stage was set for the Wildcats and their second-year coach finally to make believers out of the rest of the country on Saturday night. They had generated some momentum with a five-game winning streak at just the right time. No. 21 Miami was making a road trip to Rupp Arena, offering a chance for the kind of non-conference win that impresses the NCAA tournament selection committee. The game was nationally televised. A snowstorm - the first of the season in central Kentucky - even greeted the Hurricanes as they got off their bus.

The 'Canes proceeded to greet the Wildcats with a 20-point halftime deficit. It took less than seven minutes for the Wildcats to fall behind by double digits. By the time the first-half buzzer sounded they trailed 46-26, which left Rupp eerily silent and looking like a congregation suffering through a long-winded sermon. Miami's Jack McClinton (17) and James Dews (14) had more total points than the entire Wildcat team.

Kentucky did muster an impressive comeback, eventually cutting the deficit to as little as four. But, the horrific start proved too costly and Miami came away with a 73-67 triumph.

"It was very disappointing to me the way we played," Gillispie said. "Our players have to take more control of our team."

Big Blue nation should be wondering if Gillispie was the right choice to take control of its program.

Last season the fans largely blamed their struggles on previous coach Tubby Smith, and there was some credence to that angle. Smith's last few recruiting classes were sub-par by Kentucky's lofty standards.

But the brunt of the blame must now be shifted to Gillispie. The Kentucky roster is made up of more players he recruited than Tubby did (seven to five).

What's more disturbing is that Gillispie can't seem to figure out which players should be playing. Slow-footed Michael Porter (a Tubby recruit) continues to start at point guard over the much faster and much bigger DeAndre Liggins, an athletic 6-6 freshman with an NBA future.

If Gillispie had started Liggins against Miami the outcome may have been different. Porter had two points and zero assists and fouled out in 17 minutes. Liggins, who sparked the comeback, stuffed the stat sheet with 18 points, seven boards, five assists and two steals.

Gillispie is also butting heads with the very players he chose. Liggins caused a stir earlier this year by refusing to enter a game against Kansas State. Kevin Galloway, a junior college transfer who was brought in to compete for the starting point guard job, has played a total of 29 minutes. Former four-star recruit Alex Legion, who has a much-needed outside shooting touch, transferred away at midseason last year to Illinois.

Gillispie is getting outcoached as well. Miami stuck with a 2-3 zone nearly the entire game, and the Wildcats seemed ill-prepared for it. They struggled to get the ball inside to Patrick Patterson, who had only four of his 19 points in the pivotal first half.

"They were very smart," Gillispie said. "They made us just stand around and not carry out our assignments and not attack like we're supposed to."

Gillispie's worst sin is making Rupp and its guaranteed sold-out 23,000 seats, which should be one of the biggest home-court advantages in college basketball, look vulnerable to just about any Division I team.

Gardner-Webb won in Rupp last year. VMI did this year, scoring an inexcusable 111 points along the way. Now the Wildcats, which hold the NCAA's longest home winning streak with 129 straight from 1943-55, are losing home games by halftime.

Nothing like that happened under Tubby's watch, which included an average of 26 wins a year in Lexington. It makes you wonder how much longer a fan base that wasn't satisfied with that kind of success will put up with the disturbing trends Smith's successor seems to be setting.

the criticism in this article is very fair, but...

"Big Blue nation should be wondering if Gillispie was the right choice to take control of its program."

don't agree with that one bit.

anyways, former Wildcat Sean Woods brings his fighting Jerry Rice's into Rupp today at 4. we should win by at least 40, they're terrible.

hate to welcome Woods back with an ##+ whoopin, he woulda been the hero in '92 if it wasn't for %+%%*!$ Pitino not putting someone on Grant Hill.

will never forget the running floater bank-shot.
tired.gif

I feel for Gillepsie man. I've heard rumblings of people looking through his trash for anything. he's the best fit for that job though imo.

Originally Posted by JamesOnNT

laugh.gif

Nebraska got a damn ****** named Cookie on their squad.

laugh.gif

Cookie is nice
pimp.gif
. He used to run with Mayo, Walker, Alex Tyus, etc. on those loaded D-1 Greyhounds teams.

Liberty 42 Clemson 35 at half.....lil curry
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
.....they'll prolly blow us out here in the secondhalf but at least we were competitive

Back
Top Bottom