The College Basketball Post

Glad USC lost all the analyst talking bout their a better team W/O the Juice please they would have won if Juice was still ballin for SC. Anyhow for all myNYC heads the Cabby came thru in the clutch for Seton Hall
pimp.gif
. For allthose out the loop the Cabby is Jeremy "Cab Driver" Hazell, streetball name..

Originally Posted by zs05wc

You guys have no idea how good that win against ucla feels for us UofM fans. I don't really expect them to beat duke but as long as they can keep it competitive maybe they can sneak something out in the last min. I can't wait till Lucas-Perry is eligible too.
I like your chances. Beilein is a good coach. And hell have them ready.

Sims and Harris are the type of guys that Duke will struggle with.

Sims gotta posterize Singler.
pimp.gif

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Fridays are for high school football, movie openings, jeans at the office and all sorts of nice things, but it'sthe most irrelevant day of the week when it comes to college basketball. There's hardly ever anything worth mentioning that happens on a Friday. So you canimagine my excitement when I looked at the schedule months ago and realized this Friday could produce tournament showdowns featuring UCLA-Duke andMemphis-Southern California.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Dig that.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]It was going to be great.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]And then guess what happened?[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Michigan beat UCLA and Seton Hall beat USC.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]So a bad Thursday for those two Los Angeles-based schools has ruined the Friday I anticipated. But because I'm atrooper, I'll proceed the best I can and get on with the Friday Look Ahead, the letdown edition.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Game worth flying to see in person: Don't get me wrong. What Michigan is doingbehind Manny Harris is impressive, and I won't be shocked if the Wolverines edge Duke just like they did UCLA. But when you'reexpecting Duke-UCLA and end up with Duke-Michigan it's just kind of disappointing, not unlike when you're expecting a new HDTV for Christmas and youopen the box only to realize you've been given a glorified computer monitor without HD capabilities. That happened to me last year, by the way, and it wasfine. Thought that counts and all that. But when you expect HD you want HD, and when you expect Duke-UCLA you want Duke-UCLA.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Game worth driving to see in person: John Calipari mentioned many times how "people" hadbeen telling him that a possible matchup with Southern California in the Puerto Rico Tip-off could be the "best non-conference game of the year."Turns out, we'll never know because the Trojans lost to Seton Hall in the quarterfinals, meaning we'll now get Memphis vs.Seton Hall on Friday night, which is good but not quite as good as the Tyreke Evans-DeMar DeRozan showdown that could've been.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Game worth watching on TV: The crowds at the Puerto Rico Tip-off have been awful, like something youmight see at a college volleyball match. And not just any volleyball match; I'm talking about a really bad one. So I'd like to take this moment to tryto boost attendance and let the natives know that one of their own -- Virginia Tech senior A.D. Vassallo -- will be on display Friday when theHokies meet Xavier in the semifinals. Vassallo is from Toa Baja, which is like 30 minutes from San Juan. So fill the gym, my Puerto Ricanfriends. Toa Baja in the house! Represent![/font]
[table][tr][td]
img11121992.jpg
[/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]James Florence is rather proud that Mercer of the Atlantic Sun is off to an impresssive start. (AP)[/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][/table][font=Arial, Helvetica]Some non-BCS love: I was critical of Alabama opening with a loss to Mercer,but if the Bears beat Georgia Tech on Saturday, I might be willing to give the Crimson Tide a pass. To date, Mercer is 3-0 with victoriesagainst Alabama and Auburn, marking the first time the school has won two games against SEC opponents in the same season since 1952-53. Consequently, it seemsthe Bears would finish no worse than fourth in the SEC West, and perhaps higher. So Georgia Tech has a serious challenge on tap, one that will likely require ahuge effort from Gani Lewal and Maurice Miller to escape.[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]An obvious prediction: Among the nation's 0-3 teams is Morehead State, whichspecializes in taking paychecks from schools and losing as planned. Next up on the Eagles' journey is Louisville, and so that 0-3 shouldturn to 0-4 at some point Saturday night.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]A crazy prediction (but it might happen anyway): Ah, what the hell? Let's tryMichigan over Duke behind a 25-point effort from Harris. If Jimmy Baron almost got the Blue Devils in Cameron Indoor Stadiumthen I don't see why Harris can't get them in Madison Square Garden. Unless Rich Rodriguez screws it up, of course.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Player trying to keep rolling: Blake Griffin was the player most questioned when I posted the CBSSports.com All-American teams. Some readers suggested the Oklahomasophomore's inclusion was based on NBA potential more than what he had actually done, because they swore he hadn't done much. Well, he's certainlydone much now. Griffin is averaging 23 points and 19 rebounds through three games, including a 25-point, 21-rebound effort Tuesday against Davidson. So Iimagine any preseason doubters have become in-season believers heading into the Sooners' game Saturday with Gardner-Webb,right?[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Player trying to get rolling: How did Southern California lose to SetonHall? There were a lot of factors, obviously, but it didn't help that DeRozan took only four shots, made only one and finished with three pointsin 20 minutes. That's not the stat line of a star, and the freshman wing needs to be better to ensure USC escapes Puerto Rico without further damage,starting with Friday against Chattanooga and ending with a possible Sunday tilt with Missouri.[/font]
[h4][font=Arial, Helvetica]Three things you should know before you go[/font][/h4]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]1. Mike Krzyzewski's Blue Devils will fly home after their game Friday with Michigan and returnto the court for a Sunday afternoon game against Montana. That means Duke is in the middle of a four-games-in-eight-daysstretch, complete with a trip to New York.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]2. The nation's leading scorer is -- surprise, surprise -- Stephen Curry. He's averaging35.3 points through three games, and he'll return to action Friday night when Davidson hosts Winthrop.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]3. Further proof Pat Knight is way different from his father came Thursday when TexasTech beat East Central 167-115 by presumably using Mike Leach's playbook. The explosive Red Raiders will be back on the court Saturday when theyplay host to Eastern Kentucky.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Final thought: I'll be spending the weekend in Utah, taking in theRice-BYU game Friday night and seeing whether the Cougars can extend the nation's longest home winning streak to 50. Thesmart money has them doing it, and if you're looking for a silver lining in the UCLA and USC losses, it's that there was a part of me that was worriedI would be at BYU wishing I was in New York (watching Duke-UCLA) or Puerto Rico (watching Memphis-USC).[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]But not anymore.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]I'll be content in Utah.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]And I can't wait to get there.[/font]

DeRozan problem is going to be the same one OJ mayo had at USC that crappy *!% half court offense floyd runs. he needs to open it up he should have last yearand didnt and he needs to this year if he wants DeRozan playing at his best but he wont

I like Jrue Holliday's game, not sure I agree with Dukie V's assessment that he isnt a one and done type of player. I think it has been posted before,not sure, but it seems as though he moves in slow motion. I am not sure if that is an indictment of his quickness/speed or just the way he plays the game. Hishandle is top notch and he has a smooth jumper. Everything about his offensive game is smooth, just cant put my figner on the whole quickness thing.

That makes two of us... While I find it hilarious that UCLA lost , not to discredit Manny because he does work, especially the way Mike was up their !@@ like awedgie
laugh.gif
I'm extremely disappoint that the Duke UCLA game won't be taking place.

I was looking forward to that early test/wake up call for Duke, but y'all $%!%$* it up. Now we have to survive Michigan

I was looking forward to that early test/wake up call for Duke, but y'all $%!%$* it up. Now we have to survive Michigan
I'm actually more afraid of Michigan than I am of UCLA. Michigan has nothing to lose. It's a win-win situation for them, regardless ofthe outcome.

which is exactly why I said "survive"

Damn trap games
smh.gif
We should be able to spread the court and shoot that 1-3-1 down tho.

which is exactly why I said "survive"

Damn trap games
smh.gif
We should be able to spread the court and shoot that 1-3-1 down tho.
Yea, I was agreeing with you Cake. It's trap or die out there tonight. I hope the Duke squad was watchin' the game last night and tooknotes on that defensive scheme Michigan runs. I think Kyle running the baseline for the quick pop in the corner might hurt them. And the way Gerald wasshooting last night (I think he hit 4 three's in the 2nd half) gives us another outside option.

Yea K thats exactly what I would do, put kyle on the baseline

you have to run 2-1-2 against a 1-3-1... Put Paulus and Jon at the top with Gerald and the line and Lance or Z on the baseline to screen for kyle.

you have to respect Greg and Jons jumper and use Gerald as an attack/facilitator from the middle, and Kyle is excellent on the baseline.

But what do I know... I'm just a fan

Game worth flying to see in person: Don't get me wrong. What Michigan is doing behind Manny Harris is impressive, and I won't be shocked if the Wolverines edge Duke just like they did UCLA. But when you're expecting Duke-UCLA and end up with Duke-Michigan it's just kind of disappointing, not unlike when you're expecting a new HDTV for Christmas and you open the box only to realize you've been given a glorified computer monitor without HD capabilities. That happened to me last year, by the way, and it was fine. Thought that counts and all that. But when you expect HD you want HD, and when you expect Duke-UCLA you want Duke-UCLA.

frown.gif
I wanted to see Duke-UCLA. Hopefully Manny can lead them to a win though
pimp.gif

smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

I wanna see my dude Manny do well, since this is a major stage.

But not too well.

Sorta like when BC plays Duke.

And Jrue is definitely the goods. He pulled a Houdini in the 2nd half last night tho...Straight vanishing act.

Sims is gonna feast tho'
sick.gif

What Michigan needs to do is rebound. We did a good job against ucla but obviously when you run any kind of zone your rebounding takes a hit. If we can limitduke to one shot that should help us out alot. Michigan isnt a great rebounding team. Manny needs to have a very good game too. It will help us outtremendously once Lucas-Perry can play cuz that should take some of the attention off Manny.

Originally Posted by DaComeUP

Game worth flying to see in person: Don't get me wrong. What Michigan is doing behind Manny Harris is impressive, and I won't be shocked if the Wolverines edge Duke just like they did UCLA. But when you're expecting Duke-UCLA and end up with Duke-Michigan it's just kind of disappointing, not unlike when you're expecting a new HDTV for Christmas and you open the box only to realize you've been given a glorified computer monitor without HD capabilities. That happened to me last year, by the way, and it was fine. Thought that counts and all that. But when you expect HD you want HD, and when you expect Duke-UCLA you want Duke-UCLA.

frown.gif
I wanted to see Duke-UCLA. Hopefully Manny can lead them to a win though
pimp.gif

I bind you in the name of Jesus, Satan, like my moms do
smh.gif

I for one did not want Duke-UCLA for personal reasons. Duke's strength is guard play, and to me, UCLA matched up better on that front. I think Harris couldgive problems if the rest of the Wolverines are playing good, but if he is all alone, Duke has the personnel to swarm and trap like they should. I don'tsee anyone on Michuigan who can match up with Singler all game if he gets outside and drives like last night's second half. I still am not sure about Nolaneither. They need a true, quick point in the worst way.

I don't see anyone on Michuigan who can match up with Singler all game if he gets outside and drives like last night's second half.
Yea but he gets real {} when he drives and anticipates any contention from a defender and I can see Sims causing him some problems.

Son, I'm tellin you, the brain trust of me, you, Haiti, and Dre would be on some John Wooden type %%*%. Dre would clearly play the Wojorole and be the big man coach
laugh.gif

Xavier/Va Tech

in OT, tie game with 7 seconds left...

Va Tech comes down and scores...

no timeouts, XU inbounds, 1.7 left.... one dribble....half court shot...

Good, by the bank.
laugh.gif

XU 63
Va Tech 62

Originally Posted by Ricardo Malta

I don't see anyone on Michuigan who can match up with Singler all game if he gets outside and drives like last night's second half.
Yea but he gets real {} when he drives and anticipates any contention from a defender and I can see Sims causing him some problems.

Son, I'm tellin you, the brain trust of me, you, Haiti, and Dre would be on some John Wooden type %%*%. Dre would clearly play the Wojo role and be the big man coach
laugh.gif

Exactly my thoughts. He does have that shoot on the way down syndrome to try to not get blocked instead of taking it strong sometimes. Sims isexactly who I was thinking of that could possibly give fits, but I just think Duke may have too much size, which is a switch for them against anybody,especially if Zoubek plays like he has half a heart.

Back
Top Bottom