The Bicycle Thread

So I don't know **** about bikes, and probably haven't rode in like 20 years since I was a kid :lol: I have a 3 year old though who loves riding his bike, and it kinda made me wanna get one. Any suggestions for just a basic *** bike? Only thing is I'm like 6' 5" so idk if I would have to order a taller one or something. Thanks

Ride tonight with this newly formed summertime crew that rides every Wednesday night

9833B2AF-A09A-4910-ACE4-26727CB42A60.jpeg

i think ima buy a light for my bike

last time me and the riceboi were riding and it got kinda dark

Well, yeah. This time of year if you're out in the evening you can get caught out. I buy tons of those little LED rubber ones - I have them on most of my bikes (other than best one) and the kids bikes. Cheap as anything and the batteries last a long time.

For proper winter dark riding I have a decent set but for twilight those ones are really effective and unobtrusive.

So I don't know **** about bikes, and probably haven't rode in like 20 years since I was a kid :lol: I have a 3 year old though who loves riding his bike, and it kinda made me wanna get one. Any suggestions for just a basic *** bike? Only thing is I'm like 6' 5" so idk if I would have to order a taller one or something. Thanks

Here is a good starter bike: Supercaliber 9.9 XTR.
$8,999.99 - $9,499.99

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...rcaliber-9-9-xtr/p/33354/?colorCode=red_black

:lol:

Short climb up to Griffith Observatory. I need to start carrying a real camera with me.
IMG_0733.JPG

And for those saying you can't rock these outside (pardon the socks lol)... They're still functional, but you're prolly better off getting something stiffer.
IMG_9112.JPG
adidas socks w/ nike footwear, strike 1

hole in the side of your sock, strike 2

This looks like a good new entry level road bike that will be available soon:

any particular brands have good resale value? not to profit but in case I drop a rack plus on a bike and don't end up using it much, to recoup my loss

any particular brands have good resale value? not to profit but in case I drop a rack plus on a bike and don't end up using it much, to recoup my loss
Certain branded frames that hold allure. Usually a certain year that a color run was made, so hard to predict. You gotta just buy what you like.

Otherwise, all bikes have the same components.

I think you always lose a little regardless. Even right now, resale value for all bikes are good but I’d doubt you’d break even. Bikes are like cars. I think the cheaper you go, the less you’ll get back and the more expensive you buy, the more you get back. But that’s like saying I can get $600 for my $1000 bike as apposed to $3000 for my $3900 bike. If price is a concern, just go cheap and beat the bike to hell and get your money worth that way.

So you usually start w/ 3 questions, one of which you've answered.

#1. How do you plan on riding?
#2. How tall are you?
#3. What are you thinking in terms of budget?

A beginner bike for someone 5'9" who was thinking around $1k to AGGRESSIVELY try to lose weight by riding at least 15 miles a day will be a completely different answer than someone 6'7" just looking to ride around the neighborhood with the kids, maybe spending a few hundred. And those 2 answers will be completely different than someone addicted to trails and ready to start ripping through them on a $2k mountain bike instead of the old BMX he's had since he was a teenager.

-foe

Been watching some of the crits they talk over on Cory's channel, love those. One thing I noticed though is Justin is really, really good at this and smart as ****, he's like the Chris Paul/Lebron of his lane.
Same here. This one was dope. Crazy how cyclists maintain that high of a average speed for a crit.

Was thinking of grabbing one of their jerseys in the future. Maybe I'll just grab a T shirt for now. Those Rapha jerseys are $$$.

Man I always loved their style and crew. Just everything they stood for. My first stint with learning and training to cycle, I remember running into some of his info online.

Then I moved to Walnut Creek for a bit, where cycling is a closed gate. At least thats what the culture there felt like to me. :smh:

Moving to Portland really re-invigorated it. Glad to see what hes doing and breaking down these barriers. Was thinking of starting a cycling group in my area here, and trying to get younger people into it. Help them build older more affordable bikes into some good things they can learn on.

This looks like a good new entry level road bike that will be available soon:

That's what I got a month or two ago and I'm a beginner. Love it.

Never heard of the Legion Of LA team. Always wondered if there is a more urban culture in cycling that isn’t fixed gear culture. That was my hesitation at first getting into this stuff just cause most people i see on the road that are really into cycling look like they fit a certain demographic and even pay grade. Thankfully that hasn’t been the case but it does still seem like a closed sport to a degree.

Never heard of the Legion Of LA team. Always wondered if there is a more urban culture in cycling that isn’t fixed gear culture. That was my hesitation at first getting into this stuff just cause most people i see on the road that are really into cycling look like they fit a certain demographic and even pay grade. Thankfully that hasn’t been the case but it does still seem like a closed sport to a degree.
Honestly there isn't. I think thats whats making me excited about this pandemic and the growing interests in more urban communities. Hell it made me dust off my bike and get back on the saddle. I never had aspirations to race or anything though, I just loved riding bikes since I was a kid.

I have definitely grown sour of cycling a few times because of the "demographic". A lot of guys into cycling are just in it to show off their money no different than the car scene. Then theres the group that rides no matter what they're on. And that group is growing, which I love. Too many gatekeepers

Has anybody in the Bay Area rode over the Golden Gate Bridge into Sausalito? Trying to plan a bike ride for my homies birthday. Him and his wife have been actively biking lately and thought that would be a nice scenic route. Mainly checking to see if it’s doable on a single speed bike.

Back
Top Bottom