The Average American can’t Afford a New Car

Right now I'm on long island with a car. Just got a new job in NYC. When I move to NYC the first thing I'm looking to give up is my car. I'm going to be saving heavy.

Right now I'm on long island with a car. Just got a new job in NYC. When I move to NYC the first thing I'm looking to give up is my car. I'm going to be saving heavy.
Why not public transportation? **EDIT: from where you currently are instead of moving?

For me I'd be filling up my tank every week at $65 and have a little over an hour each way for commuting. Company pays for the parking garage and some of the mileage so I'm roughly looking a little under $240 a month (not including driving other places) in gas.

Where as catching the train I'd spend $5 daily to park at the station which is only a 5 minute drive from my place, spend about 44 minutes each way, and only looking at a little over $200 in fare for working that month.

• A lot cheaper to ride rail
  • avoid putting a lot of mileage on my car
  • avoid the stress of not moving on the highway
  • get to work in less time

I'm really only a 15 minute drive outside of DC (when it's not rush hour), so any other time like weeknights or weekends when I go out, I just use my car.

But if you are living close to where you work and the rent is along the same price, by all means go for it.

Last edited:
In NYC leasing a car is stupid unless as already stated your company is paying for it. Secondly ZipCar is like the Netflix of car rentals, most New Yorkers don't even need a car honestly.

Selling my car was the best thing I did financial in 2012.

MetroCard >>>>

More or less same for me. Finally graduated back in December. Making a little over 60k. Working outside of DC and cost of living is ridiculous depending where you're at. VA suburbs are looking 1600 for a studio/1bdrm. Can find something cheaper, but they'll be really old outdated buildings and still be about 1300. MD side will have you at about the same price if you're in MoCo. PG is a lot cheaper and more for you're money. A mortgage payment here is cheaper than Rent in DC, VA, and other MD suburbs.

The main issue is the commute. The further out from DC you are, the cheaper the housing. The flip side of that is your hourly commute. Some people spend up to 2 hours each way getting to work. If you can offset your gas consumption by cutting down payments on a lot of things they'll do it.

Yes and no. I live in PG County, I pay 1280 for a 1BR 760 sq. Rent is cheaper closer to DC but I like my peace and quiet, car to remain in my parking lot, and having a diverse neighborhood. The avg house is $300k in PG depending on where you want to live, outside the Beltway (Bowie, Laurel, Upper Marlboro) you paying around 400-500K for a house where as Inside the Beltway you paying less for a house around 200K

It's because the average American wants to buy things they can't afford. You can get a fully equipped new car for 20K, but people always want what they can't have.

This. People want to drive 5 series and M3s and making only Kia Rio money.

Last edited:
In NYC leasing a car is stupid unless as already stated your company is paying for it. Secondly ZipCar is like the Netflix of car rentals, most New Yorkers don't even need a car honestly.

Selling my car was the best thing I did financial in 2012.

MetroCard >>>>

Yea If I lived in NYC a whip would be the last thing on my radar. I`m in Atlanta though and Marta is terrible, so it is a necessity

Our economy is not going to improve, ever..

Because the people in charge to make it improve aren't affected by it.

Edit:

Also, if you have $3-4k to put down on a car, u could use all but $1000 of it to purchase an older car and use the last grand to put into the engine and ****** to make sure it lasts

Last edited:
my car is old enough to vote. running STRONG with barely any maintenance required. you can get a NICE car for ~25 lightly used. nice as in a great midsize sedan (if ur on your grown man)

I own my 01 Civic .I plan on copping a 2010 Civic SI maybe 3-4 years down the line. I'm 18 and already pay for my own insurance.

Would it be better to lease or cop???

What happens if you crash a leased car???

Or if someone crashes into you???

Everyone on nt doesnt live in nyc.........if so I wouldnt own a car myself. Also most ppl cant afford a car anyways with expensive living expenses anyways within nyc.

Last edited:
More or less same for me. Finally graduated back in December. Making a little over 60k. Working outside of DC and cost of living is ridiculous depending where you're at. VA suburbs are looking 1600 for a studio/1bdrm. Can find something cheaper, but they'll be really old outdated buildings and still be about 1300. MD side will have you at about the same price if you're in MoCo. PG is a lot cheaper and more for you're money. A mortgage payment here is cheaper than Rent in DC, VA, and other MD suburbs.

The main issue is the commute. The further out from DC you are, the cheaper the housing. The flip side of that is your hourly commute. Some people spend up to 2 hours each way getting to work. If you can offset your gas consumption by cutting down payments on a lot of things they'll do it.

Yes and no. I live in PG County, I pay 1280 for a 1BR 760 sq. Rent is cheaper closer to DC but I like my peace and quiet, car to remain in my parking lot, and having a diverse neighborhood. The avg house is $300k in PG depending on where you want to live, outside the Beltway (Bowie, Laurel, Upper Marlboro) you paying around 400-500K for a house where as Inside the Beltway you paying less for a house around 200K
The same houses in PG that cost you 200k are going to cost you 500k+ in Bethesda and Rockville. My parents live in Bowie (Fairwood area) and the market has the house valued at 480k. That same house will go for 800K-to over a million in parts of MoCo.

Trust me I've been looking into the market to buy a house. Those new developments in Bowie and Upper Marlboro that are springing up would go for about twice as much in VA suburbs and some MoCo areas.

Word, lookin into buying a place in the same areas. Seems to be a better bet than renting, and those newer townhomes look good.

Last edited:
I bought a 1993 Honda accord ex for $900.00 it was a bucket but it serves its purpose, it's nice and good on gas and easy to drive compared to my f150 crew cab truck. I don't need a brand new whip to get to work I'm good with out the 350 a month payments!

Reading comprehension fail. I didn't say they started at those prices and your starting prices aren't even right. Check the website and get back to me. MSRP for the V6 = $22K, V6 premium = $26K, GT = $30K, GT Premium = $35K.

http://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/

The camaro 2LT is $28K and the 2SS is $36K.
http://www.chevrolet.com/camaro-performance-car/features-specs/trims.html

My starting prices are correct sir I sell them everyday. Ford.com doesn't govern the price (Not to mention you can only build 2014's on that site, which ARE NOT EVEN OUT YET). :smh: Guess you must think paying MSRP is normal :x

FAIL.

Last edited:
Reading comprehension fail. I didn't say they started at those prices and your starting prices aren't even right. Check the website and get back to me. MSRP for the V6 = $22K, V6 premium = $26K, GT = $30K, GT Premium = $35K.

http://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/

The camaro 2LT is $28K and the 2SS is $36K.
http://www.chevrolet.com/camaro-performance-car/features-specs/trims.html

My starting prices are correct sir I sell them everyday. Ford.com doesn't govern the price (Not to mention you can only build 2014's on that site, which ARE NOT EVEN OUT YET). :smh: Guess you must think paying MSRP is normal :x

FAIL.

A lot people commenting on this thread have never actually bought a new car.

To be honest until I bought one I thought you actually paid MSRP :lol:

people are too comfortable with debt

I got called out for being "overly conservative" by a guy who has $60k in student loans, $10k in credit debt, and just signed 6 year loan for a brand new V6 mustang :x and I don't even think this is such an extreme case. But there's some people are blind t the fact that they cant afford what they want. I just stay in my lane and do what I fell is right :smokin

Last edited:
Solely in regard to the title (didn't read the thread(no offense)); completely true. That said, the average American has a new car. 
indifferent.gif

Back
Top Bottom