TENNIS: 2008 French Open on the "Terre Battue" - Rafa Defeats Rog, Remains Undefeated, Ana's Champ!

On a side note, does anyone hate Federer's attitude in his interviews? I understand he must be tired of being asked about the Nadal "rivalry," but Nadal shows nothing but admiration and praise for Federer in his interviews, but it seems like every time Nadal has beaten him Federer sort of gives him a backhanded (no pun intended) compliment. A lot of times, he seems to be saying that Nadal didn't beat him, he beat himself, he could have played better, etc. It's irritating.

I gotta disagree, though the first couple of matches between the two Fed didn't give much props to Nadal. Now it's a totally different story, Nadal isprobably the player Federer most respects on tour. I've noticed that a lot of stuff can be lost in transcripts of Federer's post match interviewcompared to actually watching the interview. He tends to be sarcastic and jokes a lot in interviews which gets lost in print.

I remember last year at Roland Garros, after the final he didn't even hold the interview with Bud Collins.

laugh.gif

I can't even blame him for that, the guy is a tool. I was the happiest person when NBC fired Bud, then when ESPN picked him up...
sick.gif

By the way did anyone hear about what Djokovic's family did in Hamburg? Here's an article from a Serbian paper...
http://www.pressonline.co.rs/vest.jsp?id=37087&sectionId=44

Djokovic's father attacks a RTS journalist (note RTS- National Serbian TV)

Srdjan Djokovic, the father of the best Serbian tennis player Novak Djokovic , has used a force to enter (inroad) in TV studio of RTS last Saturday , unhappy with the way the commentator broadcasted Novak's match against Nadal at the Hamburg Masters.

During the second set of the aforementioned match , Srdjan Djokovic unexpectedly came inroad into the TV Studio , and started to yell and verbally attack the commentator Nebojsa Viskovic.

The reason for Srdjan's verbal attack was that the commentator didn't cheered enough for his beloved son and being a Serb he must cheer more for Novak. Also nervous Srdjan told the journalist that " he is not doing his work in a proper manner"

Novak's uncle (brother of Srdjan) went even further ,and after the match called Viskovic and started to curse and threat personally the commentator.

Gotta be honest I don't like the title change, no disrespect to the OP. Garnett's won jack #$%+, while Fed will be considered one of the greatest forwinning X amount of all three other majors. And that's IF he never wins the French. I think "Next Sampras?" would be more fitting but who thehell am I to tell you what to post...

Originally Posted by JDB1523

Gotta be honest I don't like the title change, no disrespect to the OP. Garnett's won jack #$%+, while Fed will be considered one of the greatest for winning X amount of all three other majors. And that's IF he never wins the French. I think "Next Sampras?" would be more fitting but who the hell am I to tell you what to post...

My reasons were two-fold. One, it attracts non-tennis fans, and two, the parallels made in the article are reasonable. Federer's half of the draw isbasically the Eastern Conference.
laugh.gif

^Didn't read the article to be honest. I know where you're coming from though, and I totally agree about the draw BTW.

Eastern European female tennis players > Williams brothers
Blake got ousted today. I don't know why he gets the light he does.

Seriously, I hate Djokovic and I CANT STAND his arrogant family. Maybe/Maybe not Djoko condones what his family is doing, but that family be feeling themselvestoo much (nh). Dad was on tilt during the U.S Open vs Tsonga
smh.gif
Even the mom too
smh.gif

whatever happened to that guy? one hit wonder? id watch more mens tennis if he started playing at a high level all the time....

Tsonga's withdrew from the French due to an ongoing knee problem... the surgery will put him out for another few months...

as a tennis player Djoker's fun to watch, but as for his family... well, unfortunately, it wouldn't be the first time we've seen overzealous familymembers (dads)... Sharapova, Williams, Capriati and Pierce all had crazy win-driven dads... and it won't be the last, I'm afraid...

Ana's playing right now...

Federer is well on his way to another final. He has a 10-1 record against his quarter-final opponent, Gonzo, and has a 8-0 record against Ferrer, who is hisexpected semi-final opponent.

On the other half of the draw, the imminent Djokovic and Nadal match-up draws closer. Nadal is tearing through the field so far. In his last three matcheshe's only given up 13 games in total. Djokovic is playing solid as well, with his results more or less mirroring Roger's.

IMO, the way things are shaping up, this has to be Roger's best opportunity to win the French. He's got an 18-1 record against his quarter andpotential semi-final opponent and there's a good chance Djokovic and Nadal will tire each other enough that he will have a slight advantage in stamina ifhe can get through.

The only question is; will it be enough?

dropshot on a matchpoint...
smh.gif
gutsy

EDIT - Shriekapova's out! great opportunity for Ana...

With Sharapova out the French Open has become even more boring to me than it was originally. It's my least favorite grand slam. I'll probably only bewatching the finals. Sorry tennis.

Ivanovic Jankovic semi will be excellent. As with the Nadal Djokovic semi.

I don't know anything about tennis, but I enjoy watching it. I hope to get tickets to the Australian Open next year. With Aussie being so close to NewZealand, world-class tennis is only 3hours away!

^ you're a Kiwi?

Def try watching tennis in-person... watching pros on TV is one thing, seeing them live is another... live many sports, its a different experience...

What the hell happened? Dementieva was up 6-4 5-2 against Safina... then went on to lose it 6-4 6-7 0-6
Safina first coming back in a similar fashion against Shriekapova, now against Dementieva...

Kiwi indeed!

I watched the Safina Dementieva game last night.. boy Safina's facial expressions are intimidating. She's got a high temper. Lol. Im just thinking ofother things atm. Im surprised she won, woke up the next morning and on the news she won!

Can't wait for the semi's.. its going to be awesome.

Federer better step up and win the French Open this time. If he wins it, we might have a new GOAT in tennis.

monfils is ballin. hes like a bball player playin tennis. juss flyin and jumpin everywhere. ferrer played out of character, not the fiery, all-out player likehe usually is. too many errors. props to monfils tho. not enough firepower to beat fed tho.

I'll definately be rooting against Fed... never liked the guy...

and regarding Monfils vs. Federer... Monfils was playing better-than-usual, while Ferrer was not his usual self, which is a damn shame because I felt Ferrerhad the best shot of beating Fed (besides Djoker and Rafa, of course)... with Monfils, I honestly don't see him standing a chance against Fed (maybe taking1 set)... I really hope I'll be proven wrong...

Ana's definately playing really well... the winner of this match will become the new #1 women's player in the world when the new rankings come out onMonday...

Back
Top Bottom