T-Mobile to cover ETF (up to $350) for new users....vol. your move next, AT&T

Sprint has been acting sketchy for me lately so after i catch up on my bill I might look more closely into making this switch

T-mobile is
nthat.gif
 Getting constant service no complaints. I'm now paying 76 bucks unlimited everything. I was paying 98 dollars for 450 mins,3gb data, and unlimited data and that was with a discount
sick.gif

Made the move to tmobile 2 months ago can't complain. ATT is trash, they're still billing me 2 months later. I had everything payed off to. I have to call tomorrow to tell them to go  **** themselves.
mean.gif

Love what T-Mobile is doing, but I recently got on a family plan with Verizon. The coverage is amazing and I'm paying ~$50/mo.

in there this morning a talked to dude for about a hour..

Because of my credit (or lack thereof) i would have to make a down payment on whatever phone i got (270 for a 5S).. Sprint terminated my account a couple weeks ago though (w/o warning :smh: )so I'm not even eligible for the ETF thing but I'm still gonna hit up T-mobile when i get my bread right.

Because of my credit (or lack thereof) i would have to make a down payment on whatever phone i got (270 for a 5S).. Sprint terminated my account a couple weeks ago though (w/o warning :smh: )so I'm not even eligible for the ETF thing but I'm still gonna hit up T-mobile when i get my bread right.
Everybody had to make a down payment. You wanted the 32 GB? They only let you finance $600 I think, so you have to down payment the rest.

Everybody had to make a down payment. You wanted the 32 GB? They only let you finance $600 I think, so you have to down payment the rest.

$0 down is only on approved credit. If you don't meet credit standards there is a down payment but lower monthly EIP installments so you are still paying the same cost of the phone.

nah this was for the 16 I think. I wasn't really sweating it tho i just wasn't aware of the credit requirements.

:wow:

what part of north Dallas are you in? I'm up here too and ain't getting that!!

I got a nexus doe...

maybe I need a nexus 5 to get that speed.

I did that speed test at the corner of Frankford and Preston. I get really good speeds in North Dallas, Plano, and Mckinney.

You cant just pay $200 for a 5S on TMO anymore?

You have to do the whole $_ down thing?

You cant just pay $200 for a 5S on TMO anymore?

You have to do the whole $_ down thing?
You do the same on ATT, Verizon and Sprint. Its why the ETF goes down over time and the Plans are about $30 more dollars higher then T-mobile. Your paying for the Phone over time either way its just with T-mobile you can bring your own and save money or finish paying off your current phone and no longer be charged for a phone you already payed for.

So, I decided to stay with AT&T after going over to TMobile on Saturday.

This is how it was explained to me:

I needed 4 lines, and with the data we needed, the total (not including taxes) was $160. Sounded pretty good. My girl and I both wanted to go back to iPhone, so the trade-in value for our S4's were $163 each. The $163 you pay goes towards which ever phone you wanted. In our case, the 5S. So, you are deducting $163 from the original price of the phone which is $599 (I think). The remaining balance could 1) be paid off in it's entirety right there, or have $25 payments per month for the next 2 years until the phone is paid off.

When factoring in those costs (extra $50 per month) that brings the grand total up to $210...again, not including taxes. On AT&T, I pay between $225-$230 per month. With taxes on T-Mobile that would bring it to an estimated $227.

Here's where they got us. Both my mom and dad, who have no issues with their phones, but were interested in the lower monthly payment as well, would have to turn in their current phones and get new ones. Well, same deal as what I mentioned previously. Pay off the phone in its entirety or pay the extra $25 a month. THat's another $50. My bill would then be around $277.

I could go on and on, but it just wasn't worth it.

What I did was use my parents upgrade and get my 5S through AT&T. I then sold one of the two S4's I had for $350.

The TMobile deal sounds good at first, but there are a lot of add ons that you don't really factor in until you start breaking everything down. I'm glad I did my due diligence on this and found out that it's actually much cheaper for me and my family to stay with our current provider than switching over to T-Mobile.

To each his own, but this deal wasn't really a "deal" in my book.

*edit*

Their coverage was sketchy as well...that was another factor in my decision. I know what I'm getting w/ AT&T, but even after looking at the coverage maps, it wasn't reassuring.
Well the point of this is not to save money in long run and it is for people who what to get out of their contracts for whatever the reason might be and not paying their etf upfront

Do we have to go into a store to do this or online

Last edited:
Well the point of this is not to save money in long run and it is for people who what to get out of their contracts for whatever the reason might be

Do we have to go into a store to do this or online

Has to be done in a store

Family plan is cheaper, but you are still paying the entire cost of the phone whether it is upfront or with the finance plan.
Let me see if I can break down the T-Mobile charges as it was explained to me by the rep.

Family Plan - 4 lines, 3 w/ unlimited data and the other with the bare minimum. $160.

Me and my girl turn in our S4's ($163 each) and put that towards the $600 that it costs for the 5s. For arguments sake, we'll just say $450 for each phone is the remaining balance. You can pay up front, which we would have done, or pay the $25 extra a month on your bill.

My parents...they both have 4s iPhones which work fine. They'd have to get their phones unlocked at AT&T or get new ones at T-Mobile. Not my word, but his. Let's just use the financing as an example: 0 down, but $25 extra each for the additional phones.

Grand total:

$160 - family plan with what we needed.

$50 for my parents phones (even tho I'm sure they wouldn't be cool w/ financing) + taxes

$900 for the new 5s phones...pretty much UPGRADING my phones for $250 more than what I would pay at AT&T. **** is crazy :smh:

*factoring in only getting $163 for each phone

*not factoring in the trade-in value of their 4s phones

There was too much uncertainty with how they do things in addition to their coverage.

It came out to pretty much being even to what I'm paying at AT&T....around $227

I didn't want to finance a phone, and I'm fine with getting my upgrade after my 2 year contract is up. I get that TMobile's selling point is having no contract.

I'm glad things worked out the way they did and I'm in the process of selling the S4s right now for almost double what I'd get at T-Mobile on the return. Because remember...part of the deal is trading in your current phone at a fraction of the cost.

I'm not knocking them, but in the end, the whole thing just didn't work out the way I had thought.

What you needed to do is buy the approved $30 prepaid phone and trade that in. Then you can keep and sell your s4 to pay off the majority of iPhone cost.

Back
Top Bottom