T-Mobile to cover ETF (up to $350) for new users....vol. your move next, AT&T

I switched over to T-Mobile on Saturday and I can honestly say that I have NEVER gotten speeds like I'm getting right now while I was on Sprint, and what is only twenty more dollars a month than what I was paying due to the fact that I'm paying for a phone month by month, this was totally worth it.

Sprint will forever have my hate.

What phone do you have now?
I have the Nexus 5 now and I love it.

Verizon is the only carrier that gets impeccable service in State College. As soon as I graduate, I'm switching to T-mo most likely. $300 out of contract once a year for the newest nexus device? Sold

T-Mobile has def been stepping it up and this makes their services even more tempting.

I was already intrigued when I read about their international rates while traveling abroad, but this gives people a better incentive to switch ship.

I switched over to T-Mobile on Saturday and I can honestly say that I have NEVER gotten speeds like I'm getting right now while I was on Sprint, and what is only twenty more dollars a month than what I was paying due to the fact that I'm paying for a phone month by month, this was totally worth it.

What city/state are you in?

What city/state are you in?
I'm about 40 miles outside of Atlanta, GA in a place called Gwinnett County.

Made the switch from AT&T on Saturday. So far so good. Process was simple. They give you a MasterCard to pay off your ETF. Unlimited everything & no contract.

I'm in Marietta and it could be dead spots but when I had tmo it didn't work indoors and at work in Kennesaw i would only have 1-2 bars while my VZW was 4 bars.

So, I decided to stay with AT&T after going over to TMobile on Saturday.

This is how it was explained to me:

I needed 4 lines, and with the data we needed, the total (not including taxes) was $160. Sounded pretty good. My girl and I both wanted to go back to iPhone, so the trade-in value for our S4's were $163 each. The $163 you pay goes towards which ever phone you wanted. In our case, the 5S. So, you are deducting $163 from the original price of the phone which is $599 (I think). The remaining balance could 1) be paid off in it's entirety right there, or have $25 payments per month for the next 2 years until the phone is paid off.

When factoring in those costs (extra $50 per month) that brings the grand total up to $210...again, not including taxes. On AT&T, I pay between $225-$230 per month. With taxes on T-Mobile that would bring it to an estimated $227.

Here's where they got us. Both my mom and dad, who have no issues with their phones, but were interested in the lower monthly payment as well, would have to turn in their current phones and get new ones. Well, same deal as what I mentioned previously. Pay off the phone in its entirety or pay the extra $25 a month. THat's another $50. My bill would then be around $277.

I could go on and on, but it just wasn't worth it.

What I did was use my parents upgrade and get my 5S through AT&T. I then sold one of the two S4's I had for $350.

The TMobile deal sounds good at first, but there are a lot of add ons that you don't really factor in until you start breaking everything down. I'm glad I did my due diligence on this and found out that it's actually much cheaper for me and my family to stay with our current provider than switching over to T-Mobile.

To each his own, but this deal wasn't really a "deal" in my book.

*edit*

Their coverage was sketchy as well...that was another factor in my decision. I know what I'm getting w/ AT&T, but even after looking at the coverage maps, it wasn't reassuring.

Last edited:
antidope antidope

You got that nexus directly from google play? And exactly what plan so you have?
Nah I bought it in the T-Mobile store, and I have the simple choice unlimited talk text and 2.5 GBs of high speed data plan.

I'm in Marietta and it could be dead spots but when I had tmo it didn't work indoors and at work in Kennesaw i would only have 1-2 bars while my VZW was 4 bars.
When I first moved down here six years ago T-Mobile wasn't that great, which is why I made the jump to sprint. Since then I've seen people with T-Mobile have no issues and I can't even get service at my job.

Made more sense to keep my current plan and pay the $199 for the new phones when upgrade eligible at AT&T. Yes, you're locked in to a 2 year deal, but it's cheaper than what you'd get at T-Mobile.

Made more sense to keep my current plan and pay the $199 for the new phones when upgrade eligible at AT&T. Yes, you're locked in to a 2 year deal, but it's cheaper than what you'd get at T-Mobile.
You should be comparing how much it would cost to get 4 new phones on AT&T to how much it'd cost to get 4 new phones on T Mobile essentially. The family plan is cheaper at T Mobile but there's no way to cut corners for additional expenses if you're financing a smartphone

Really? I went to the other three major carriers and built prospective plans and both AT&T and Verizon were going to want 20-30 more a month from me than T-Mobile. I'm basically paying the same I paid for Sprint. The only difference is that I no longer have unlimited data but I really don't need it.

Hope you don't get those Edge speeds w/ T-Mo. I left them a couple of months ago for Sprint and it has worked for me and my family. I live in Chicago and T-Mo was all over the place for me. I would go from LTE to 4G to E back to LTE in less than 2 minutes. The deal breaker was when we went to visit my in-laws and Arkansas and our phones were pretty much paperweights because they sat on Edge the entire time we were there. Can't lie though, the LTE was very quick when it worked. Only company I've had that worked everywhere is AT&T and I miss them, but not those rates.

So, I decided to stay with AT&T after going over to TMobile on Saturday.

This is how it was explained to me:

I needed 4 lines, and with the data we needed, the total (not including taxes) was $160. Sounded pretty good. My girl and I both wanted to go back to iPhone, so the trade-in value for our S4's were $163 each. The $163 you pay goes towards which ever phone you wanted. In our case, the 5S. So, you are deducting $163 from the original price of the phone which is $599 (I think). The remaining balance could 1) be paid off in it's entirety right there, or have $25 payments per month for the next 2 years until the phone is paid off.

When factoring in those costs (extra $50 per month) that brings the grand total up to $210...again, not including taxes. On AT&T, I pay between $225-$230 per month. With taxes on T-Mobile that would bring it to an estimated $227.

*edit*

Their coverage was sketchy as well...that was another factor in my decision. I know what I'm getting w/ AT&T, but even after looking at the coverage maps, it wasn't reassuring.

If I choose to pay the 300ish for the phone upfront negating the $25 monthly payments, you can't upgrade yearly for free I'm assuming.

That's another way they get you. You either have a "no contract" plan where you really are in a 2 year "device" contract paying $25 monthly so you can upgrade every year. Or you buy the phone outright and you have no contract, therefore you'll never be eligible for a phone upgrade, so when you want to upgrade or need a new phone you'll be paying full price unless you trade in your phone.

Damn they've got it all figured out lol

Hope you don't get those Edge speeds w/ T-Mo. I left them a couple of months ago for Sprint and it has worked for me and my family. I live in Chicago and T-Mo was all over the place for me. I would go from LTE to 4G to E back to LTE in less than 2 minutes. The deal breaker was when we went to visit my in-laws and Arkansas and our phones were pretty much paperweights because they sat on Edge the entire time we were there. Can't lie though, the LTE was very quick when it worked. Only company I've had that worked everywhere is AT&T and I miss them, but not those rates.
It's pretty much been LTE only. I dropped to 3G one time for like 2 minutes then it came back.

I hear you on the price part, there's no reason I need to pay more than 60 a month for my cell phone.

Switched my phone to 3G only, NC it's still better than anything I ever got with Sprint

Last edited:
Had sprint for over 2 years and TBH T-Mobile edge is faster than Sprint's"3G" in my area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had sprint for over 2 years and TBH T-Mobile edge is faster than Sprint's"3G" in my area.

Had sprint for literally 10 years. Switched to T-Mobile in October and never looked back. Have the 30 dollar data plan til the end of the month when my service with sprint ends. Still get faster speeds on T-Mobile Edge than I do with my sprint iPhone 4s smh

You should be comparing how much it would cost to get 4 new phones on AT&T to how much it'd cost to get 4 new phones on T Mobile essentially. The family plan is cheaper at T Mobile but there's no way to cut corners for additional expenses if you're financing a smartphone

Family plan is cheaper, but you are still paying the entire cost of the phone whether it is upfront or with the finance plan.

Really? I went to the other three major carriers and built prospective plans and both AT&T and Verizon were going to want 20-30 more a month from me than T-Mobile. I'm basically paying the same I paid for Sprint. The only difference is that I no longer have unlimited data but I really don't need it.

Let me see if I can break down the T-Mobile charges as it was explained to me by the rep.

Family Plan - 4 lines, 3 w/ unlimited data and the other with the bare minimum. $160.

Me and my girl turn in our S4's ($163 each) and put that towards the $600 that it costs for the 5s. For arguments sake, we'll just say $450 for each phone is the remaining balance. You can pay up front, which we would have done, or pay the $25 extra a month on your bill.

My parents...they both have 4s iPhones which work fine. They'd have to get their phones unlocked at AT&T or get new ones at T-Mobile. Not my word, but his. Let's just use the financing as an example: 0 down, but $25 extra each for the additional phones.

Grand total:

$160 - family plan with what we needed.

$50 for my parents phones (even tho I'm sure they wouldn't be cool w/ financing) + taxes

$900 for the new 5s phones...pretty much UPGRADING my phones for $250 more than what I would pay at AT&T. **** is crazy :smh:

*factoring in only getting $163 for each phone

*not factoring in the trade-in value of their 4s phones

There was too much uncertainty with how they do things in addition to their coverage.

It came out to pretty much being even to what I'm paying at AT&T....around $227

I didn't want to finance a phone, and I'm fine with getting my upgrade after my 2 year contract is up. I get that TMobile's selling point is having no contract.

I'm glad things worked out the way they did and I'm in the process of selling the S4s right now for almost double what I'd get at T-Mobile on the return. Because remember...part of the deal is trading in your current phone at a fraction of the cost.

I'm not knocking them, but in the end, the whole thing just didn't work out the way I had thought.

Last edited:
If I choose to pay the 300ish for the phone upfront negating the $25 monthly payments, you can't upgrade yearly for free I'm assuming.

That's another way they get you. You either have a "no contract" plan where you really are in a 2 year "device" contract paying $25 monthly so you can upgrade every year. Or you buy the phone outright and you have no contract, therefore you'll never be eligible for a phone upgrade, so when you want to upgrade or need a new phone you'll be paying full price unless you trade in your phone.

:lol: man, they covered ALL of their bases.

If the deal sounds too good to be true, then it probably is. There are a lot of catches.

However, I know AT&T is offering something like a $450 credit to those who bolt from T-Mobile over to them.

:lol: man, they covered ALL of their bases.

If the deal sounds too good to be true, then it probably is. There are a lot of catches.

However, I know AT&T is offering something like a $450 credit to those who bolt from T-Mobile over to them.
your bill with taxes and phone payments for 2 5s.
just how you described it.
It should be 218 a month.
If you want jump which is the insurance as well as that thing that let's you upgrade 2 times a year whenever you want. It's $20 dollars more.
If you're putting your s4 towards the 5s it doesn't make sense to get jump because you're gnna have a large percentage of the phone payed off.

You can always get some w.e att phones to trade in as long as they are working instead of your parents trading in their iphones. which is the way that I calculated. just you and your girl with phone payments.
and if you pay the phone off . YOU CAN UPGRADE.
because the way tmobile does it they lend you the money to get the phone and you pay it off in 24 months back.
You pay everything off quick. You'll have money available to borrow again. is the way only way I can explain it.
which is why I said if you get jump. which let's u trade in the phone your paying off and get a new phone aka upgrade it's best to pay nothing down aka get it when it's 0 down and just whatever it is a month for the time being till you upgrade.
which by then you'll have maybe 150 dollars if that payed.

Last edited:
Well I get 4G at my job with T-Mobile, when I couldn't even get a stable 3G connection with sprint, this has now become 100% worth it to me.

Well I get 4G at my job with T-Mobile, when I couldn't even get a stable 3G connection with sprint, this has now become 100% worth it to me.

I just think it depends on your situation. Family plan, on my end, was not worth it at all.

Back
Top Bottom