Stern To Announce Expansion Plans in EUROPE Saturday

Here is my opinion.

IF IT AINT BROKE, DONT FREAKIN FIX IT!

Sure, quality of play has decreased alot. But if anything, competition is getting so much closer these days. Damn near everybody has a shot, or has a brightfuture. I dont understand what Stern is trying to do, other than just bringing in more money. He has to take an intrest in how the players would adapt to this.

Back to back would literally be a 7:00 EST tip, to the next day at 8:00 EST tip the next morning. Thats not right.

Its pretty much the only idea that would fall through for the NBA, but even that, IMO, isnt going to work out. I think he should take a step back, and look atthis overall, aside from the $$$ point of view.

What Stern doesnt understand, is that the NBA has already reached out to damn near every country in the world. With the entrance of European players, as wellas Yao/Yi, the game has become international. Has it improved the game? Absolutely. Has it reached out past North American borders? Absolutely. Is there muchelse that should be done? No.

The games in the pre-season is good enough. Possibly, the only other idea that I would be for is to have two teams start the NBA season in Europe, and play athree game series right off the bat in three different cities in Europe. That would bring in money forsure. Kind of shape it around what the NHL did at thebeginning of this year with the Ducks and Kings. Two games is enough to bring in the money he wants. Why not make it three, and make it the "EuropeChampionship" or something like that. Something that makes the game a little bit more entertaining at the beginning of the year.

If Stern is absolutely set on expanding, why not make it easier and give OK City, Vegas, Edmonton, etc etc... teams. If he is going to expand, IMO the bestoption would be Canada (and saying this without bias). Geographically, its the best option for the players.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

The Worst Idea Ever

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by deepinthajeep

I LOVE this idea.

Rome
London
Barcelona
Madrid
Berlin
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Yall seriously not feeling this???
Think about it guys, this could be hot.
It should go like this: A team goes over there to play a 3-5 game roadtrip, when they finish, they'll fly back here to the states.
Their teams would fly over here to play a more 'extended' road trip, 8-10 games maybe? And then fly back.
It's not like the Phoenix has to play London on Sunday, then fly back to play Boston Monday night. Come on yall, D-Stizzle ain't that stupid, and besides, the players union wouldn't let that slide - knowing how strenuous that type of travel could be on the body.

I can hear it now "....and Kobe and Pau try to make it 3-1 on the final game of their Euro- road trip..."

Could you imagine getting paid in Pounds right now, compared to dollars?!?!?!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

And for the people talking about players wouldn't wanna go over there....ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!?

I'd much rather live in Rome or Barcelona than Memphis or Milwaukee or New Orleans

open your eyes.

Not gonna happen. If Stern plans on giving the players resting time from the EuroTrip then it'd have to be a few days because the jetlag is CRAZY! Andwhat conference would they be part of? Remember that they'd have to play teams more than once away from their home floor. Which means the Europeans aregoing to be making a hell of a lot of trips to the U.S. And if they get the "few days off" it means the end of the season won't be until lateJuly to maybe mid August. It's just not gonna happen. Wishful thinking, bad idea. Also, getting paid in Pounds sounds great because our American dollaris getting it's %%@ whooped right now. The major problem with that is you can't trade it back for U.S. dollars. They have to be spent in Europe andbanked there, it's just not gonna work financially for a lot of players who would play in Europe but come home to the U.S. for the offseason.

You guys are too worried about the scheduling. You guys think its gonna be like the current schedule where teams are zippin back and forth over the Atlantic.I'm more concerned about watered down talent.

smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
what american player would want to go live in europe?! i would stop trying and hope they traded as soon as possible. i would be so pissed off if i gottraded to europe. its a whole different continent, language, everything.

I wanna hear David Stern out before I label him an idiot.

He should just create NBA Europe, as a seperate entity.

Originally Posted by OHyeah10

smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
what american player would want to go live in europe?! i would stop trying and hope they traded as soon as possible. i would be so pissed off if i got traded to europe. its a whole different continent, language, everything.

There are PLENTY of "american" players who would love to ball in Europe. Many college athletes who don't make it pro in the NBA can make agreat living overseas...that being said, I don't know how players will react if they are NBA caliber talent, who do ultimately get drafted to a NBA squadover in France. Like I said before, there will be a lot of dudes puffin out their bottom lips (word to Stevie Francis) on draft night if they hear their namecalled by an European squad....prolly the first time a black dude would be excited to hear their name called by the Utah Jazz, especially if the BarcelonaSiestas have the next pick

I'm more concerned about watered down talent.
Agreed.

He should just create NBA Europe, as a seperate entity.
Agreed.

I'm confused here though. As i said previously, I can't understand how the league thinks they have enough talent available to smoothly create 5 newexpansion teams in the near future. That's insane. We see how water downed the league (and other sports) get when just 1-2 expansion teams are born. I alsoagree that I'll wait to hear Stern's explanations. ESPN has yet to blow this news up which tells me something else may be going on. And at this point Ihave to assume they have some sort of motive and other plan we just aren't grasping.
grin.gif
laugh.gif

Keep the NBA in America!

Why cant the NBA champs just play the European champs once a year, or something similar.

This is just as stupid as trying to play Premier League games abroad.

I can see it now....

Paris FrenchFries

Madrid Conquistadors

Dublin TripleDublins

Yall know how passionate Europeans are about their sports, the get eliminated from the playoffs and they might riot and burn the arena down.

This is a terrible idea. Stern is a moron and I think he's losing his mind over dollars.

For all the people who think it would be so easy with the travel, imagine going overseas for that little 5 game trip, and then when they get back, what do theyneed? Time to get back to normal. That's like 5 or 6 days of rest back here in the states for each and every single team every timethey go overseas and back. We're gonna have bye weeks for basketball teams now?

Stupid idea. NBA should leave well enough alone. We don't need more teams, in America or otherwise.

Maybe Stern is going to try to create a seperate league, but it would still part of the NBA. Much like how MLB has the AL and NL. I don't know....the Euroteams could play games on their continent and then the teams here in North America could keep their schedule relatively the same. Save for the break for"interleague" games where teams would play a week or two on the "road," meaning a Euro team would come here for a 2 week stretch and viceversa (Lakers over to Europe). I don't know...it will be interesting to see how all of this pans out, and exactly what Stern's master plan is

Originally Posted by SoHi 23

Can you imagine a West team having to fly all the way over there?

I don't think it will be that dumb, like that the Sonics will fly directly from Seattle to Paris over one night. It will be more smooth so that thewestern teams that are on their eastern trips will fly from the east to Europe. And the European teams will probably have something like 2-3 week homestretches and 2-3 week away stretches. I hope this works.

I can't believe so many of you are against this. If this goes through, NBA will make history by being the first truly international sports league, andsince basketball is my favorite sport, I am glad that basketball will be remembered as the first sport to do it.

My only problem with this is the expansion of teams. We're already seeing 'athletes' as opposed to 'basketball players' make the league,and this is only going to further the separation (see: Dwayne Jones). I've thought for a couple years, although recently the talent level has picked up,that because the NBA has had too many teams, you're asking for too many quality players over a desired market and the result, arguably, is 'onesuperstar per team' (in many cases). If Stern really wants to heighten competition, which he clearly doesn't, and bring back the great rivalriesbetween TEAMS that we always see on ESPN Classic, he needs to cut down on the number of teams as opposed to creating more. This is clearly a monetary plan thatis being implemented....

Originally Posted by PharelFor3

man is that a dumb Idea. Send Devean George there first.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
You can have Kwame Brown, Eddy Curry and Isiah Thomas on the same flight

All I want to know is what happens when one of those teams gets to the finals....

that 2 3 2 trip is going to be a B!

Why are you guys mad Do you not realize how hard the NBA will be caking if this works out? Business wise this is a GREAT idea, expansion to the Europe wouldincrease the value every aspect of the NBA business. Jerseys and other fan paraphernalia sales, and the coming dedicated NBA Europe networks. How is this a badidea?

Travel? Teams would take a European road trip; they have planes that only take 3 hours to go from New York to London so flight time is not an issue. Westernconference teams can simply play an game on the east coast and form their go to Europe. IT'S NOT THAT HARD.
Players? Let me as you this; would you rather live in Milwaukee, or London, Barcelona, or Rome. I think the answer is clear. Plus the possibilities forinfidelity are endless. (Shawn Kemp expands to Europe) By agreeing to this they are going to see some of the extra cake.

The talent pool? Don't you think the induction of European teams would increase the interest in basketball in those areas? I'm sure the amount ofEuropean players would increase and there is probably a chance that they could have actual talent. If anything the talent pool might increase, and youknow damn well you wouldn't be saying this if the teams were made in the states.

Your American fear of change is kicking in, It's actually a great idea.

Originally Posted by BaronDavis5

Its not a stupid idea, NBA will make tons of money from this. And like the other dude said, who ever wins the finals will actually be a world champion and not a "united states champion"
it IS a stupid idea.

think Steve francis x1,000,000

NOBODY is gonna wanna play for a team based in europe.

Stern's greedy @@# is just looking out for himself.

Originally Posted by NobleKane

Originally Posted by BaronDavis5

Its not a stupid idea, NBA will make tons of money from this. And like the other dude said, who ever wins the finals will actually be a world champion and not a "united states champion"
it IS a stupid idea.

think Steve francis x1,000,000

NOBODY is gonna wanna play for a team based in europe.

Stern's greedy @@# is just looking out for himself.

That's the key. I have heard of college players going to play overseas and although they love the money, the get a majority want to play in the USA.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by OHyeah10

smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
what american player would want to go live in europe?! i would stop trying and hope they traded as soon as possible. i would be so pissed off if i got traded to europe. its a whole different continent, language, everything.

There are PLENTY of "american" players who would love to ball in Europe. Many college athletes who don't make it pro in the NBA can make a great living overseas...

last resort

There are PLENTY of "american" players who would love to ball in Europe. Many college athletes who don't make it pro in the NBA can make a great living overseas...
again i repeat...

last resort

NBA players would be DUMB to resist this. The successful expansion of the NBA would most certainly increase all of their salaries.

so then are we gonna change the nba to the wba?

leave it alone stern.

why you guys excited about stern getting more cake? like you getting some of his money?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by BenFranklinAve

Paris FrenchFries

Madrid Conquistadors

Yall know how passionate Europeans are about their sports, the get eliminated from the playoffs and they might riot and burn the arena down.

laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom