Stern To Announce Expansion Plans in EUROPE Saturday

NBA Europe live is enough.

I like the idea of the NBA playing exhibition matches internationally like they do. Its cool.

They arent saying they want current NBa teams to go out there. They are saying they want a euro NBA league. They are saying another company may create an ideato combine the spanish and other leagues going on. The NBA wants to capitalize on it 1st. Its like how the ABA differ'd from the NBA back then. They wantto create a euro league which is smart. Ud have all the Euro stars in a euro league and they can get signed out ofthe euro league into the NBA. Its goodbecause its expanding basketball globally and creating good marketing for it. Imagine in the future when the china league will play the spnish league cuztheyll b part of the same basketball association!!

It'll be extremely tough on the players.

I like the idea of new teams, but not overseas. That's just not a god idea.

Well I at least hope all they want is a Euro NBA league. If they try to expand NBA games to europe it wont work because in an 82 game season u cant haveplayers go on 15+ hour flights to other countries for games. Hawaii University sports teams have a hard enough time travelin for out of conference games

I LOVE this idea.

Rome
London
Barcelona
Madrid
Berlin
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Yall seriously not feeling this???
Think about it guys, this could be hot.
It should go like this: A team goes over there to play a 3-5 game roadtrip, when they finish, they'll fly back here to the states.
Their teams would fly over here to play a more 'extended' road trip, 8-10 games maybe? And then fly back.
It's not like the Phoenix has to play London on Sunday, then fly back to play Boston Monday night. Come on yall, D-Stizzle ain't that stupid, andbesides, the players union wouldn't let that slide - knowing how strenuous that type of travel could be on the body.

I can hear it now "....and Kobe and Pau try to make it 3-1 on the final game of their Euro- road trip..."

Could you imagine getting paid in Pounds right now, compared to dollars?!?!?!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

And for the people talking about players wouldn't wanna go over there....ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!?

I'd much rather live in Rome or Barcelona than Memphis or Milwaukee or New Orleans

open your eyes.

Originally Posted by jmoneybaggz

Originally Posted by Paul Is On Tilt

I'm all for it...Now you can really call the winner of the NBA crown...The World Champion...
That's what the Olympics are for.

Be for real. They don't even pick the best NBA players to be on the Olympic team...The NBA is pathetic in terms of competition right now. That's what the NBA needs to get back to. It needs that competitive edge that made basketball so beautiful in the 80s. I understand the need to make money, but the league has taken this $@%# overboard. The way they promote players in the league is absurd. They don't promote the most competitive gameplay in the world. NCAA baskbetball(although not as talentend) is more competitive than NBA basketball. They need a fresh pool of talent and its time for them to go worldwide.
We have enough teams as it is. There are a lot of good players in the league, don't get me wrong, but by adding more teams into the mix, theyare diluting the talent. By adding more teams into the NBA is only going to make the problem worse.

They need a fresh pool of talent and its time for them to go worldwide.
The NBA has already gone worldwide... or to put it better... the world has gone to the NBA. Ever hear the names Dirk Nowitzki, Leandro Barbosa,Pau Gasol, Yao Ming, etc.?

Originally Posted by deepinthajeep

I LOVE this idea.

Rome
London
Barcelona
Madrid
Berlin
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

It should go like this: A team goes over there to play a 3-5 game roadtrip, when they finish, they'll fly back here to the states.
Their teams would fly over here to play a more 'extended' road trip, 8-10 games maybe? And then fly back.
It's not like the Phoenix has to play London on Sunday, then fly back to play Boston Monday night. Come on yall, D-Stizzle ain't that stupid, and besides, the players union wouldn't let that slide - knowing how strenuous that type of travel could be on the body.

I can hear it now "....and Kobe and Pau try to make it 3-1 on the final game of their Euro- road trip..."

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

And for the people talking about players wouldn't wanna go over there....ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!?

I'd much rather live in Rome or Barcelona than Memphis or Milwaukee or New Orleans

open your eyes.

Co Sign

I LOVE this idea.

Rome
London
Barcelona
Madrid
Berlin
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

It's not like the Phoenix has to play London on Sunday, then fly back to play Boston Monday night. Come on yall, D-Stizzle ain't that stupid, and besides, the players union wouldn't let that slide - knowing how strenuous that type of travel could be on the body.
Nah, not feeling this. A road trip takes a lot out of a team already, not to mention an "extended road trip". The traveling, thesleeping on the plane, the arriving at 4:00am and having a game to play at 7:00pm, the timezone changes (losing hours), and stuff like that. A regular roadtrip is already a disadvantage, but this is going to be a major disadvantage to the road team when playing in Europe. Also, what about the European teams on aroad trip in the states? How does that work? They'll be on a huge disadvantage when playing over here. They'll have to deal with a "reallyextended" roadtrip.

open your eyes.
These guys have families. It's hard enough already to be halfway across the country from your family, but to be an ocean across? Nowthat's just not really something a lot of people would be willing to do.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

And what NBA players would want to live and play in Europe???

will they be able to trade....imagine getting traded....to a team in Europe.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

It's not like they'd be going to Poland or Norway son. Calm down.
Have you seen the women in Barcelona?! HAVE YOU?!?!

These guys have families. It's hard enough already to be halfway across the country from your family, but to be an ocean across? Now that's just not really something a lot of people would be willing to do.
Nah. I don't buy that. You know good and well that a lot of players live in a completely different state than they one they play in, sometimeseven on the other coast. Sheed's family lives in Portland still right. I'm pretty sure they do. And I'm almost positive they're plenty otherexamples. Even single players sometimes don't live in the state that they play.

oh okay, my bad, didn't read clearly (it's late). Fair argument, but again some of these players have families that live on the other coast. But fairargument

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

I LOVE this idea.

Rome
London
Barcelona
Madrid
Berlin
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

open your eyes.

Co Sign
What about the 5 Euro teams?
They would have alot of road games in the states, how would that work?

Its not a stupid idea, NBA will make tons of money from this. And like the other dude said, who ever wins the finals will actually be a world champion and not a "united states champion"

stop saying that.

just because the franchises will be based in europe doesnt mean all the players will be european. and how would adding just europe make it the 'world'

fact is that the best players in the world play in the nba. that is why the winners are 'world champions'

Originally Posted by SoHi 23

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

I LOVE this idea.

Rome
London
Barcelona
Madrid
Berlin
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

open your eyes.

Co Sign
What about the 5 Euro teams?
They would have alot of road games in the states, how would that work?

Since this is in very early stages it doesn't make sense to try and speculate what kind of schedule would be ideal, but I'm sure they will make ithappen.

League makes more money, owners make more money, everyone is happy

open your eyes.
These guys have families. It's hard enough already to be halfway across the country from your family, but to be an ocean across? Now that's just not really something a lot of people would be willing to do.

see Vasilis Spanoulis-Rockets.
it will be an issue when trade/draft/free agency issues come up.
but I'm still for it - the possibilities are endless. It's worth a try, they would be ahead of the NFL, MLB in terms of expansion.

They've done a good job with the NBDL, so for them to explore this avenue, I don't have a problem with (but they really do need to get rid of theWNBA).

Disgusting. Unless these teams are ready with 5-teams worth of Euro players then I dont see how it's going to help the product that we water-down even moreteams with players who can't play. I'm all for exposure but get real.

it wouldnt just be european players!!!

why does no one get that?

are all the players that play for the nuggets from denver etc?

they would simply be franchises BASED in european cities.

i too would like to see a return to western canada for the nba.

the fan support was there, the owners were just atrocious.

I don't know about this.....I think there will be many issues with guys NOT wanting to uproot their families and live overseas, even though this is a NBAproduct. I mean, I think you will have more cases of guys pulling a Steve Francis and puffing out their bottom lip when they find out they are allocated to asquad in Spain. I just don't think this is that good of an idea. How does Stern know this will be a success? Why did the franchise in Vancouver fail?Ultimately, Stern will get that $$ if this does go through. However, I just don't know if too many players will be happy to be drafted to a European teamespecially if two squads in North America have picks that are around where the Euro squad has their selection. I just have a feeling you will have teams with aline up (talent wise) of Tierre Brown, Mike Wilks, Jake Voshkul, Melvin Ely, and DJ Mbenga. Like Ry said, it could be teams with players who just aren'tthat good. Eh....we'll have to see what happens.

" hey what time do the pistons play tomorrow?"
"8 a.m"

yeah, that's gonna be great.

i'm not quite sure what time 7 pm is in europe, but you get the picture.

I remember when Gordon Strachan predicted that Rangers and Celtic would be absorbed by the English Premier League, which caused a huge uproar regarding fantravel etc. and that was only from Scotland to England. A transcontinental road trip would be ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom